gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680746 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 11:18:59 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's Stock Continues To Rise  (Read 62288 times)
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 11, 2014, 10:42:52 AM »

Ok. Let`s none of us ever discuss the end of C50 again eh.  Wink

If that happened, there would be very few new threads and half the posters here wouldn't post anymore!  Cheesy

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 11, 2014, 10:45:00 AM »

What sort of defence is 'there have been worse things before'? Maybe this was under the control of different moderators, maybe some slipped through the net.

As for this
To be fair, I think there is still space for some on topic discussion as well. job`s poorly worded question was possibly based on the fact that we have one insider opining that Melinda and Mike`s wife were not responsible for the reunion ending when two other insiders (Jon Stebbins and Howie Edelson) have opined that they were. It`s a shame that an interesting topic of discussion like that got lost in the petty squabbling...
I read an article on FB posted by Jon Stebbins recently in which he had stated that Mike didn't like the attention Brian was getting during the C50. This seems like another possible reason for Mike to want to go back to touring with Bruce and their band.

There are those who have some insider information - some have more of it than others. Ask a group of witnesses and often there will be different versions of the truth.
Nicko1234
« Reply #177 on: October 11, 2014, 10:46:00 AM »

I'm sure your unorthodox ways that get results will surely blow it wide open, I say keep hammering away at the witnesses... and if they don't respond... start hitting em with phonebooks. Leaves no marks, an interrogator's dream!

"Just one more thing, Ray..."

Er, you do know it wasn`t me who brought this up in the thread don`t you. Urbanite mentioned it and Guitarfool asked him to clarify if memory serves.

I apologize if me mentioning something on topic got in the way of you watching the sh*tstorm though.  Wink
Nicko1234
« Reply #178 on: October 11, 2014, 10:47:03 AM »

What sort of defence is 'there have been worse things before'? Maybe this was under the control of different moderators, maybe some slipped through the net.

As for this
To be fair, I think there is still space for some on topic discussion as well. job`s poorly worded question was possibly based on the fact that we have one insider opining that Melinda and Mike`s wife were not responsible for the reunion ending when two other insiders (Jon Stebbins and Howie Edelson) have opined that they were. It`s a shame that an interesting topic of discussion like that got lost in the petty squabbling...
I read an article on FB posted by Jon Stebbins recently in which he had stated that Mike didn't like the attention Brian was getting during the C50. This seems like another possible reason for Mike to want to go back to touring with Bruce and their band.

There are those who have some insider information - some have more of it than others. Ask a group of witnesses and often there will be different versions of the truth.

Absolutely which is why it`s always great to have as many witnesses as possible. One of the reasons it`s a shame this thread took the path it did.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: October 11, 2014, 10:47:20 AM »

Better idea, Nicko. We can team up and good cop/bad cop them. We start off hating each other but learn a grudging respect for each other's methods. I can offer Stebbins gum or a cigarette, you kick his chair out from under him. He'll crack like an egg! AN EGG!

I hope everyone heeds your sincere call to get things back on topic: namely, gossiping about wives.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 10:52:21 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: October 11, 2014, 10:47:41 AM »

I hope Mikie's not going to get banned next.

Will it help if I start a poll to see how many folks think Mikie should be banned?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 11, 2014, 11:02:27 AM »

I think the Smiley Smile moderators are doing a lousy job and that they should resign so that sensible moderators can take over.

This thread is not about Brian anymore. It stopped being about Brian a long time ago, because the moderators don’t care if someone’s off topic or not. Other forums' moderators delete off topic posts for the simple reason that they are not a part of the topic that is being discussed. In this case the OP wanted to discuss Brian's rising stock (great choice). Now we are not able to do that since a whole bunch of people including moderators who should know better are derailing the discussion by posting posts about:

• other members
  • how Smiley Smilers should or should not interact

Just like 98 % percent of threads here. Moderators please step up. Make it possible to keep discussions on topic. Delete off topic posts. From now and on.

Or resign.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 11:11:54 AM by Swedish Frog » Logged

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Nicko1234
« Reply #182 on: October 11, 2014, 11:06:08 AM »

I think the Smiley Smile moderators are doing a lousy job and that they should resign so that sensible moderators can take over.

This thread is not about Brian anymore. It stopped being about Brian a long time ago, because the moderators don’t care if someone’s off topic or not. Other forums' moderators delete off topic posts for the simple reason that they are not a part of the topic that is being discussed. In this case the OP wanted to discuss Brian's rising stock (great choice). Now we are not able to do that since a whole bunch of people including moderators who should know better are derailing the discussion by posting posts about:

• other members

Just like 98 % percent of threads here. Moderators please step up. Make it possible to keep discussions on top. Delete off topic posts. From now and on.

Or resign.

That is true and it is an interesting suggestion.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: October 11, 2014, 11:08:34 AM »

• other members

Just like 98 % percent of threads here. Moderators please step up. Make it possible to keep discussions on top. Delete off topic posts. From now and on.

Or resign.

I'm sorry you don't like the ways and means of the board, but it has been moderated this way since 2006 for the most part, and that is primarily due to the fact that moderators past and present do not choose to step into every thread and dictate what is or isn't on topic and delete posts that don't conform. Discussions here are and always have been more free-form and free-flowing in nature, and I have never seen this board operating any other way. Discussions here also go the way the members posting in them decide to take them, and although some do go wildly off topic it hasn't been much of an issue since the board started.

So is it one now that needs to be addressed by calling for moderators to step down? I don't think so, but I'm biased.  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 11, 2014, 11:14:55 AM »

• other members

Or resign.

I'm sorry you don't like the ways and means of the board, but it has been moderated this way since 2006 for the most part, and that is primarily due to the fact that moderators past and present do not choose to step into every thread and dictate what is or isn't on topic and delete posts that don't conform. Discussions here are and always have been more free-form and free-flowing in nature, and I have never seen this board operating any other way. Discussions here also go the way the members posting in them decide to take them, and although some do go wildly off topic it hasn't been much of an issue since the board started.

So is it one now that needs to be addressed by calling for moderators to step down? I don't think so, but I'm biased.  Smiley

You're not biased, but when a discussion about Brian's rising stock turns into discussions about members and what they do you are doing something wrong. You don't have to delete the off topic posts, just move them to a new thread that you or one of the other moderators created. It is not hard.

Try it. You will feel a sense of accomplishment.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 11:16:16 AM by Swedish Frog » Logged

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: October 11, 2014, 11:17:16 AM »

Do you really want that kind of iron-fisted, constant moderation style applied here, Nicko? If so, consider that the third post of this thread, which took it from listing Brian's recent accomplishments and celebrating them into asking about an album from 8-9 years ago and a tour which ended two years ago could have been flagged and deleted as off-topic, and half of your follow up questions and posts would be zapped as well. Because, sticking strictly to the "rules" under such strict moderation of the board, neither C50 nor the GIOMH album were mentioned or discussed in the original topic post and neither is "on topic" with Brian's activities in 2014 going into 2015?

Do you really want that as a general rule?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 11, 2014, 11:19:03 AM »

Dear god, no.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 11, 2014, 11:19:27 AM »

Do you really want that kind of iron-fisted, constant moderation style applied here, Nicko? If so, consider that the third post of this thread, which took it from listing Brian's recent accomplishments and celebrating them into asking about an album from 8-9 years ago and a tour which ended two years ago could have been flagged and deleted as off-topic, and half of your follow up questions and posts would be zapped as well. Because, sticking strictly to the "rules" under such strict moderation of the board, neither C50 nor the GIOMH album were mentioned or discussed in the original topic post and neither is "on topic" with Brian's activities in 2014 going into 2015?

Maybe posters that take a thread off topic should resign

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 11, 2014, 11:22:36 AM »

So, I think that Brian and Co. have been very smart in their handling of things lately. Sharing info about the album with the fanbase to build hype, bringing in some big-name people to attract more attention and get some sales from disparate fan bases, freshening up the live show with new faces and new songs, and presumably syncing up their planned releases. The "God Only Knows" single was a great move, too - it's raising his profile in the public eye and will maybe inspire some people to check out the original. They may not have always seemed to make the best choices in the past, but love or hate their methods, I think they're doing a good job currently and Brian is probably the biggest he's been since 2004.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: October 11, 2014, 11:24:39 AM »

• other members

Or resign.

So is it one now that needs to be addressed by calling for moderators to step down? I don't think so, but I'm biased.  Smiley

You're not biased, but when a discussion about Brian's rising stock turns into discussions about members and what they do you are doing something wrong. You don't have to delete the off topic posts, just move them to a new thread that you or one of the other moderators created. It is not hard.

Try it. You will feel a sense of accomplishment.

I appreciate the suggestions, I'll take the criticism, but I won't be baited into something else by your last comment.

Nice try, though. Well, actually it wasn't a nice try at all, in fact it was uncalled for and definitely not appreciated.

By the way, do you realize that due to this board's structure and design which no one here can control, it is not possible to extract and remove individual posts into another thread or location? You can merge topic, but individual posts cannot be moved into new topics.

I can't control that lack of a feature and nor can the numbers of other board moderators and owners who have been asking for such a feature from the board host designers for some time, to no avail, unfortunately, so consider that before throwing that out there like it's my call.

Nicko1234
« Reply #190 on: October 11, 2014, 11:24:46 AM »

Where did I say that I wanted that? I said it is an interesting suggestion because it is one that works on other boards. NOT that they are run in an iron-fisted way but just that any posts that are completely off topic are removed.

The third post of this thread wouldn`t be deleted because it relates to Melinda`s role in helping to manage Brian`s career which was mentioned in the first post. Other boards that I look at would certainly not delete a post related so closely to the original topic.

I am not saying that this is a style that this board should be adopting but it is an interesting idea. Even just the idea that threads should be kept closer to topic isn`t a bad one.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: October 11, 2014, 11:26:33 AM »

See, Nicko, it wouldn't be up to YOU to decide if your posts were off-topic, tho. Some people would come to different conclusions and you'd find many of your thoughtful, not nitpicking at all posts zapped if that were the moderating style. They would join mine in the recycle bin!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 11:29:05 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 11, 2014, 11:29:21 AM »

GF is doing a great job as a mod.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 11, 2014, 11:29:29 AM »

So, I think that Brian and Co. have been very smart in their handling of things lately. Sharing info about the album with the fanbase to build hype, bringing in some big-name people to attract more attention and get some sales from disparate fan bases, freshening up the live show with new faces and new songs, and presumably syncing up their planned releases. The "God Only Knows" single was a great move, too - it's raising his profile in the public eye and will maybe inspire some people to check out the original. They may not have always seemed to make the best choices in the past, but love or hate their methods, I think they're doing a good job currently and Brian is probably the biggest he's been since 2004.

Agreed! All cylinders are firing and I can't wait for what happens in the next 3-4 months. I really think this album is going to be huge, and, judging by Ray's thoughts on the actual music, us BW fans will not be disappointed with what gets released!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: October 11, 2014, 11:30:38 AM »

I just can't wait to hear the new songs then get some more tour dates announced... and see which ones they play live! With no Jeff Beck interminable interludes.

...then the speculation about all the recordings that WEREN'T on the album. I'm especially to curious to hear about more songs pegged for the life suite... and about the inevitable Al Jardine stuff that wasn't included. He's gonna talk about Run, James, Run for the rest of his life if it isn't included! FREE AL JARDINE!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 11:47:01 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Nicko1234
« Reply #195 on: October 11, 2014, 11:31:01 AM »

See, Nicko, it wouldn't be up to YOU to decide if your posts were off-topic, tho. Some people would come to different conclusions and you'd find many of your thoughtful, not nitpicking at all posts zapped if that were the moderating style. They would join mine in the recycle bin!

2 more positives that I hadn`t thought of.  Wink
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: October 11, 2014, 11:32:55 AM »

Yeah! It would make the place a lot more pleasant. We could cut out the middleman and just stop posting to help the board heal and move forward. You first! I insist.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 11:33:53 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Nicko1234
« Reply #197 on: October 11, 2014, 11:35:12 AM »

Generally speaking, I would say that Brian`s management have done a fine job with his solo career for many a long year.

Yes, there have been mistakes (eg. GIOMH) but there have also been numerous highs. There have been plenty of unexpected touring achievements obviously and Brian has also worked steadily in the studio, with a fair amount of success, despite only writing one full new solo album since 1998.

His management deserve a lot of credit for that and the present period is no different.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 11:37:24 AM by Nicko1234 » Logged
Nicko1234
« Reply #198 on: October 11, 2014, 11:38:22 AM »

Yeah! It would make the place a lot more pleasant. We could cut out the middleman and just stop posting to help the board heal and move forward. You first! I insist.

You seem to love replying to my posts so I couldn`t possibly force you to live with the deprivation.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 11, 2014, 11:42:56 AM »

He's gonna talk about Run, James, Run for the rest of his life if it isn't included! FREE AL JARDINE!

LOL

Perhaps they're going to save the track for a possible Beach Boys Pet Sounds reunion release in two years. Hey, I can dream, right? Cheesy

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx