gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681290 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4081 Members - Latest Member: zappi June 01, 2024, 05:05:01 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Muting the keys  (Read 8132 times)
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« on: August 08, 2014, 09:22:26 AM »

I remember reading this somewhere but it was a long time ago and I tried looking in the search box but couldn't find what I was looking for. When exactly did the guys decide to start muting Dennis and Brian's pianos on stage? during the It's Ok special from 1976 they played Help Me Rhonda and it appeared that Dennis was actually playing the piano as opposed to the Knebworth version (and the Melbourne version where both he and Carli were at the piano but I could only hear what Carli was playing) but it just looked like Brian was banging on the keys. When Brian was on the Mike Douglas show that same year he was playing the piano just fine.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 09:23:27 AM by retrokid67 » Logged

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 09:58:14 AM »

Seriously doubt that ever happened with Dennis if "muting the keys" means that the keyboard was merely a prop. He may have been low in the mix, but I doubt they ever took him out entirely. Same with Brian until his solo years, and even then he's in the mix on some things, and in the later Brian solo period and C50 he's back in the mix all the way. I'm sure there were nights, like on occasions when Brian played a different song than the band was actually playing, where the live mixer was told to take him out of the mix. Same with Dennis if he was too drunk to know what was what. But in the '71 - '80 period where DW was a keyboard regular,, he's in the mix for sure.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 10:21:31 AM »

I believe in the late 70's/early 80's there were times when Brian's piano was turned down. Wouldn't be surprised if even his mic was turned down. Sometimes he was out in left field and would play a different song on the piano than what was being played by everyone else on stage. There were gigs during his solo career in the early 2,000's where he wasn't playing the keyboard; sometimes just laying his fingers on at and using it as a prop. There were fans who witnessed this, and who verified it. I think he's playing it now on stage more than he ever did before, and I assume he's turned up.

There was an incident (late 70's?) when Mike Love supposedly overturned Brian's piano bench or moved the piano or tried to overturn something on Brian on stage. Not positive what provoked it, but I think it was because Brian was playing a different song than the rest of the band was playing and Mike was pissed. Any witnesses here to this - would you please clarify/verify the incident? It mighta been in the Gaines book.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 10:29:04 AM »

Seriously doubt that ever happened with Dennis if "muting the keys" means that the keyboard was merely a prop. He may have been low in the mix, but I doubt they ever took him out entirely. Same with Brian until his solo years, and even then he's in the mix on some things, and in the later Brian solo period and C50 he's back in the mix all the way. I'm sure there were nights, like on occasions when Brian played a different song than the band was actually playing, where the live mixer was told to take him out of the mix. Same with Dennis if he was too drunk to know what was what. But in the '71 - '80 period where DW was a keyboard regular,, he's in the mix for sure.

Brian's piano was prominent in the C50 mix? Pleasing news.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 10:33:56 AM »

Brian's piano was prominent in the C50 mix? Pleasing news.
Prominent would not be my choice of words
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 10:50:11 AM »

Speaking of keyboards, Bruce is one hell of a musician, and any number of late-60's and early 70's live performances feature him playing terrific Hammond, Rhodes, etc. Even Hal Blaine said before the Beach Boys involvement, he knew Bruce from LA studio sessions and he was a solid studio keyboardist. From a musician's standpoint, it's too bad we haven't had much of a chance in the past few decades to hear him play as much.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 11:02:51 AM »

Is Bruce's keyboard audible on stage?

Come to think of it, when Brian picks up the bass for an encroe, is it plugged in?

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 11:24:46 AM »

Speaking of keyboards, Bruce is one hell of a musician, and any number of late-60's and early 70's live performances feature him playing terrific Hammond, Rhodes, etc. Even Hal Blaine said before the Beach Boys involvement, he knew Bruce from LA studio sessions and he was a solid studio keyboardist. From a musician's standpoint, it's too bad we haven't had much of a chance in the past few decades to hear him play as much.

Yes on all counts. Too bad he (evidently) doesn't care to be featured more that way. Blaine is cited somewhere as calling Bruce the best (or one of the best, but I recall it as best) session keyboard player he ever worked with, and he worked with a lot. Seems for many years like Bruce is content to do what he does on stage, be more active in the song performance itself and let the other keyboard guys take those parts, kind of like "been there, did that, time to engage the crowd now". And of course fix his mike. I mean his mic.
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 11:26:40 AM »

Yes on all counts. Too bad he (evidently) doesn't care to be featured more that way. Blaine is cited somewhere as calling Bruce the best (or one of the best, but I recall it as best) session keyboard player he ever worked with, and he worked with a lot. Seems for many years like Bruce is content to do what he does on stage, be more active in the song performance itself and let the other keyboard guys take those parts, kind of like "been there, did that, time to engage the crowd now". And of course fix his mike. I mean his mic.

What's wrong with his copy of the Made in California boxset?
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2014, 02:22:17 PM »

There was an incident (late 70's?) when Mike Love supposedly overturned Brian's piano bench or moved the piano or tried to overturn something on Brian on stage. Not positive what provoked it, but I think it was because Brian was playing a different song than the rest of the band was playing and Mike was pissed. Any witnesses here to this - would you please clarify/verify the incident? It mighta been in the Gaines book.

I don't remember this one; so count me in as someone that wants to know!

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2014, 02:31:20 PM »

I don't remember this one; so count me in as someone that wants to know!

+1

There's that clip of Mike screaming at Brian onstage in 78' so the story sounds plausible.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2014, 02:59:44 PM »

From The Guardian/Observer - 2002

During a Beach Boys' show in London in 1978, Mike Love, the group's resident transcendental meditator, was so incensed by his cousin's erratic behaviour that he tried to overturn the piano with his bare hands. 'He got mad at me for smoking too much,' Brian smiles like a naughty child. 'I was smoking, and he was choking. And, boy, he got real mad. It wasn't,' he adds, seemingly unaware of the irony, 'appropriate behaviour.'

Was that at the CBS Convention or no?

« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 03:04:12 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2014, 03:07:04 PM »

*sigh* Mike was such a charmer on stage.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2014, 04:13:07 PM »

During a Beach Boys' show in London in 1978, Mike Love, the group's resident transcendental meditator, was so incensed by his cousin's erratic behaviour that he tried to overturn the piano with his bare hands. 'He got mad at me for smoking too much,' Brian smiles like a naughty child. 'I was smoking, and he was choking. And, boy, he got real mad. It wasn't,' he adds, seemingly unaware of the irony, 'appropriate behaviour.'

Dunno exactly, but the way the section in the book reads (page 300-301 of the Da Capo edition) it implies the CBS convention appearance didn't happen - it was scheduled for 30 July 1977, but the related BB tour got canned as of the 21st July, due to the Lazarus management fiasco (tax stuff, visas and accomodation not secured).   Here's gig tiff bit from the Gaines book tho':

"The group did manage to play one concert in England that July at Wembly Stadium, where one of the ugliest public displays to date occurred.  In the middle of the concert, before an enormous audience of over 15000.  Mike Love lost his temper, picked up a piano bench, and threw it at Brian.  It bounced off the stage and nearly hit his own children, Christian and Hayleigh, who were sitting in the front row."

However, Ian R and Jon S's groovey book, p225, tells us - the band did indeed play at the convention, Grosvenor House Hotel, London, 30/07/77; During Fun Fun Fun, Mike attempted to turn Brian's grand piano over but instead knocked Brian's mike over, and a terrified Brian split when the song was finished.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 04:23:02 PM by Alan Smith » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2014, 05:31:13 PM »

After intently watching Brian at both C50 and on the Jeff Beck tour......I can't say I heard his piano once.

As for Bruce, I only hear his keyboard on Disney Girls. It sounds like a cheesy 80's electric piano and is very audbile on the last verse when it's stripped down.

As long as we're picking apart the keyboardists....when's the last time anyone heard what the hell Al Jardine was playing on his guitar in concert?!?......seems to be a trend with the boys after they picked up their big ole backing bands.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2014, 05:35:41 PM »

After intently watching Brian at both C50 and on the Jeff Beck tour......I can't say I heard his piano once.

As for Bruce, I only hear his keyboard on Disney Girls. It sounds like a cheesy 80's electric piano and is very audbile on the last verse when it's stripped down.

As long as we're picking apart the keyboardists....when's the last time anyone heard what the hell Al Jardine was playing on his guitar in concert?!?......seems to be a trend with the boys after they picked up their big ole backing bands.

Like Brian and Bruce, Al can play much more and much better than he usually does in concert. He's a good rhythm guitarist, and he can even do some of the Carl/Dave lead stuff as well, as I saw him do it at a gig in 2005.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
halblaineisgood
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2014, 06:50:34 PM »

« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 02:16:23 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2014, 07:15:19 PM »

Dunno exactly, but the way the section in the book reads (page 300-301 of the Da Capo edition) it implies the CBS convention appearance didn't happen - it was scheduled for 30 July 1977, but the related BB tour got canned as of the 21st July, due to the Lazarus management fiasco (tax stuff, visas and accomodation not secured).   Here's gig tiff bit from the Gaines book tho':

"The group did manage to play one concert in England that July at Wembly Stadium, where one of the ugliest public displays to date occurred.  In the middle of the concert, before an enormous audience of over 15000.  Mike Love lost his temper, picked up a piano bench, and threw it at Brian.  It bounced off the stage and nearly hit his own children, Christian and Hayleigh, who were sitting in the front row."

However, Ian R and Jon S's groovey book, p225, tells us - the band did indeed play at the convention, Grosvenor House Hotel, London, 30/07/77; During Fun Fun Fun, Mike attempted to turn Brian's grand piano over but instead knocked Brian's mike over, and a terrified Brian split when the song was finished.

Wow!  So Alan, that makes three different versions of the story! 

retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2014, 09:06:46 PM »

Wow!  So Alan, that makes three different versions of the story! 

the second story was the one that I originally heard.  Interesting...

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2014, 09:08:30 PM »

'I was smoking, and he was choking'

Why does the above read like one of Brian's lyrics? LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2014, 11:56:03 PM »

When Al plays with his own band, he definitely is audible! He does some great solos.

In addition to Bruce's keyboard being heard on Disney girls, I believe you can hear it on God Only Knows too, although it's less prominent. I could be wrong though.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2014, 01:15:48 AM »

Brian
would play a different song on the piano than what was being played by everyone else on stage.

Sounds like a Dylan concert!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2014, 01:45:50 AM »

Brian was definitely audible during quite afewsongs at the c50 show i.saw.,  including between songs.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2014, 01:52:59 AM »

Bruce loves the 80's glitzy electro piano...it's so tacky, but then again so is he so it matches..
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2014, 02:24:43 AM »

Bruce makes Dan Fogleberg sound like death metal.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx