gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680770 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 06:26:09 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 37 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Al joining Mike and Bruce for Jones Beach show  (Read 182185 times)
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2014, 01:48:55 PM »

Hopefully this isn't a mistake like the one last month, gig in NY I think where they had Al's picture and said he would be there.
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2014, 01:53:51 PM »

Perfect gig for Al to finally debut "Strange Things Happen" live!
http://members.tripod.com/~fun_fun_fun/11-22-93.html

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2014, 01:58:58 PM »

"Everytime Al steps on stage strange things happen"
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2014, 02:45:45 PM »

My question -- who shows up for the Rascals and Spoonful?  Would have like to have seen this gig in 1966!

John Sebastian hasn't been with The Lovin' Spoonful in decades so they're wothless....The Rascals still have Felix Cavaliere who (imo) is the heart and soul of the band, well worth seeing. And obviously The Beach Boys with Mike, Al, and Bruce is going to be interesting. I still think David should be in there, perhaps there was a date conflict.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2014, 03:05:02 PM »

I believe the Rascals are in fact all of the original members.

baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2014, 03:21:35 PM »

I believe the Rascals are in fact all of the original members.
They reunited recently but I think this is Cavilarie's rascals not the once upon a dream reunion lineup.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2014, 04:21:19 PM »

I'm still skeptical of it. Nothing on Mike's or Al's Facebook pages.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2014, 05:12:34 PM »

...and look at the picture Live Nation are using for the gig. Doubtful now myself.

http://www.livenation.com/events/363399-jul-5-2014-the-beach-boys
ToneBender631
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2014, 05:40:41 PM »

...and look at the picture Live Nation are using for the gig. Doubtful now myself.

http://www.livenation.com/events/363399-jul-5-2014-the-beach-boys

That's the stock photo that Live Nation uses for this booking version of the BB. I wouldn't be too concerned since Jones Beach, the Live Nation venue hosting the event has the same image that I received in a Live Nation e-mail in their promoted FB post: https://www.facebook.com/NikonJBT/photos/a.73597250782.107382.72875365782/10152360992825783/?type=1

You're telling me that someone at Live Nation took the time to list "original members" for two of the bands, but happened to accidentally add the name of a band member who hasn't been part of this configuration...ever? Seems more likely to me that if there are more shows coming up with Al (and/or Dave) coming up, they might still be working up some sort of PR for the future dates.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2014, 07:27:29 PM »

Al needs to pick a side

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2014, 08:17:52 PM »

Al needs to pick a side

WHY?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2014, 09:08:16 PM »

So my question remains...if David joins up, it's basically the Beach Boys reunited minus Brian...so how would those of you who side 100% with Brian vs M&B (for the record, I prefer them all together) feel about such a development?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2014, 09:09:22 PM »

Because id like to see him join one side on a permanent basis, he adds so much to albums and records that it annoys how he's being wasted. I find it so stupid that he just plays with mike and bruce every few years, does he not stop and wonder why he can't just be a permenent member of the touring beach boys, he should be irritated by that, why does he have to be a special guest. It makes no sense to me that when you see the beach boys live today al jardine is not up there, it's a ridiculous situation.

Al is in this weird middle ground where he seems to be cool with both camps and just takes whatever scraps mike or brian throw at him. He should make a point of being full time with one of the two camps again.

I know this was a rambling and pretty incoherent post but I really want to see help me Rhonda performed live by al again, preferably with all the beach boys on stage again. Enough is enough

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2014, 09:24:15 PM »

So my question remains...if David joins up, it's basically the Beach Boys reunited minus Brian...so how would those of you who side 100% with Brian vs M&B (for the record, I prefer them all together) feel about such a development?

I would vastly prefer it to the current situation. But I don't know if I count as a 100 percent Brian supporter. I do think the ending of the C50 tour was handled remarkably badly (and place far more blame on Mike than Brian), but I also think it's clear that the more of those guys you can get together on a stage, the better off we all are.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 06:55:06 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2014, 09:59:13 PM »

I'd be entirely happy with an arrangement with a full touring Beach Boys and Brian staying at home working on their next album.  Cuz, y'know, it's worked before!

Cheers,
Jon Blum
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2014, 10:05:42 PM »

I agree Jon!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2014, 10:39:58 PM »

Al needs to pick a side

Maybe he has. That he's playing with Mike & Bruce on July 5th in the US makes it hugely unlikely (but not utterly impossible: these are The Beach Boys, after all) that he'll be going with Brian for the two British Isles shows.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2014, 10:46:23 PM »

I find it so stupid that he just plays with mike and bruce every few years...

'Scuse me ?  Number of times Alan has played with Mike & Bruce sans Brian since May 9th 1998: two.

The Regan thing in February 2011 and the Ellas show February this year.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2014, 11:33:48 PM »

If the billing says "Felix Cavaliere's Rascals", then it is Felix with his own band singing Rascals songs. I saw them a few years ago, and they were excellent. Not to denigrate the contributions of the other Rascals, but Felix was the lead singer on 90% of their hits. The Sebastian-less Spoonful are okay, but nothing I'd go out of my way for. Sadly, John's voice is in pretty bad shape these days, but he is such a great guitarist and entertainer,  I would still go see him if he was in my neighborhood. He's also one of the nicest guys around.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2014, 11:36:22 PM »

I thought Sebastian toured with The Spoonful?! That is so weird he doesn't, Sebastian is the band to me considering he wrote and sang all of their best stuff.

Billf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2014, 03:10:55 AM »

I saw this version of the Spoonful at a club a few years ago. They were every entertaining, and it was nice to hear all those great songs done live, but, without John and Zal, it was more like a tribute band,  much like the other groups on the bill will be. It has been nearly 50 years since their prime. If you go, do so with diminished expectations. Great music but not what was so compelling back then.
ToneBender631
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2014, 05:57:40 AM »

Al needs to pick a side

Maybe he has. That he's playing with Mike & Bruce on July 5th in the US makes it hugely unlikely (but not utterly impossible: these are The Beach Boys, after all) that he'll be going with Brian for the two British Isles shows.

Maybe it's just a one-off. This is a significantly larger show than M&B usually book if I'm not mistaken. Maybe they wanted to make it a little more special w/ Al on board. Maybe Al asked Brian what his touring plans are when they were in the studio and Brian told him to play with M&B since he has nothing lined up at the moment. In other words, maybe it has nothing to do with "picking sides".
Tricycle Rider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2014, 06:29:17 AM »

Al needs to pick a side

No. I'm sorry, but this is not healthy thinking. It's disappointing to me that THEY are getting all caught up in these ego games, let's not join in as fans and lend weight to EITHER side of this silliness. The way I see it, Al has three sides to pick from in this situation. One, Brian's. Two, Mike and Bruce's. Three, The Music. By picking Three, (The Music) He goes where, and when, he's asked.

Also, he can't join either side permanently, if he's not asked to do so.

Because Al is an original member, they can't get away with paying him a sideman's cut. Shamefully, this seems to be what all this silliness is hinging on.

Please don't think of this as a personal attack. We are all brothers in our love for this bands music.

Smiley
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 06:45:28 AM by Tricycle Rider » Logged

Some of our forum members suffer from an acute form of cynicism resulting in a complete lack of patience and manners in the face of anything joyful or optimistic. Try to humor them as best you can for the time being, and one day, with your help, we will find a cure for this devastating disease. This has been a public service announcement.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2014, 08:37:13 AM »

The Ella gig a month or so ago with the picture of Mike, Bruce, Al and David. Now Al possibly doing a (some?) shows. Should Dave also come into the mix on a semi- permanent basis this summer where does it leave the "no Wilson's...no Beach Boys" proponents amongst us?  Undecided
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2014, 08:40:36 AM »

Is Mike prepared to layoff someone/anyone from the/his band?
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 37 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx