gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681571 Posts in 27644 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 16, 2024, 05:06:54 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 37 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Al joining Mike and Bruce for Jones Beach show  (Read 184683 times)
Nicko1234
« Reply #150 on: May 31, 2014, 05:08:45 PM »

It's a good question and more than fair. I love these guys and if the show were in Manhattan it would be a no-brainer. As it is, Jones Beach is about a 2-hour trek for me each way (subway > two LIRR trains > spotty local bus service), thus the overall time commitment is a bit more to juggle. Believe me, would love to be there and will if I can.

2 hours??? Only 2 hours???

That`s how long it takes some people to commute to work every day you lazy blighter.  Wink
ToneBender631
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 01, 2014, 05:07:49 AM »

One of my hesitations with the Jones Beach show is that there are two other bands on the bill, but the show has a normal (7:30) start time and shows there typically end no later than 10:30/11. I realize we are a bit spoiled here, but Jones Beach is kind of a trek to make from NYC if the BBs set is not a full set.

How many more chances are you going to get to see 4 of The Beach Boys on the same stage?
It's a good question and more than fair. I love these guys and if the show were in Manhattan it would be a no-brainer. As it is, Jones Beach is about a 2-hour trek for me each way (subway > two LIRR trains > spotty local bus service), thus the overall time commitment is a bit more to juggle. Believe me, would love to be there and will if I can.

Where are you coming from that makes for such a rough trek? There's gotta be an easier way (short of hitching a ride w/ someone on the board from a more central location).
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 06, 2014, 08:24:46 PM »

OK, just got my ticket.     Smiley

Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 09, 2014, 09:39:41 AM »

Should be fun since it was noted Al was sniping about Mike during his show this weekend.

Where's the love Beach Boys?  Undecided

Mike's not a Hawthorne boy. The Hawthorne guys stuck together. The Wilsons and I always had a special bond. We felt like we were a team.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 09, 2014, 09:56:58 AM »

What do you mean sniping? What he said is the absolute truth. Haven't we been bitching for years that Mike & Bruce are not the Beach Boys, but in name only? That they should go out under their own name and not sully the good band name? That Brian's last tour actually had more Beach Boys than the touring Beach Boys?

That Al has to make a "special guest appearance" in his own band to be on stage isn't a reason for just a few sour grapes?

I like that he takes a straight approach to the issue and doesn't pussyfoot around it.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 09, 2014, 10:06:39 AM »

I like that he takes a straight approach to the issue and doesn't pussyfoot around it.

And....How's that working out for Al?
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 09, 2014, 11:07:24 AM »

And....How's that working out for Al?
I doubt it makes a difference now, because the issues between them go way back to the 90's and maybe even further.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 09, 2014, 01:17:23 PM »

It does make Al seem hypocritical, though, to appear on stage with Mike if he feels that way about it. Even for only one time.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 09, 2014, 01:24:12 PM »

It does make Al seem hypocritical, though, to appear on stage with Mike if he feels that way about it. Even for only one time.
Why? They did a whole Summer tour together in 2012 with issues between them bigger than any wordplay that's happened since the tour ended.

Also, many times do we go along with business decisions whether we agree 100% or not? For myself, I have to go along with decisions made by others that I totally disagree with, but I have to because others in the company see things differently.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 01:29:42 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 09, 2014, 05:45:18 PM »

Does anybody know why some people are now saying Al "WILL NOT" appear at the Jones Beach Show?
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 09, 2014, 05:47:53 PM »

Where are they saying that? The promoter already put his and David's name up.
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 09, 2014, 05:49:35 PM »

I hope this is allowed but here...

http://www.boards2go.com/boards/board.cgi?action=read&id=1402323800.89631&user=bellagio

I for one would be very upset considering i already purchased tickets!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 05:50:36 PM by baseball95 » Logged
ToneBender631
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 09, 2014, 06:04:00 PM »

http://www.boards2go.com/boards/board.cgi?action=read&id=1402323800.89631&user=bellagio

Well this might explain the comment at the AC show over the weekend then...
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 09, 2014, 07:02:58 PM »

Well, that is ridiculous, to say the least. The promoters sent out e-mails to people saying he would be there. His name still appears on the promotional poster on the Jones Beach Nikon Theatre website. I'm not sure who will be most to blame if it doesn't come to pass, but maybe Al should never have entered talks to begin with if he dislikes Mike that much. You can only blame Mike so much for that, because the guy looks happy as a clam touring without Al, whether that's a good thing for him to be that way or not.

BTW,  didn't Rolling Stone magazine also say that Al and Dave were going to appear with Mike at Jones Beach? When I searched for the article, it's not on the website anymore, or their terrible search engine has it where it's no longer findable. I also tried searching by Foskett's name, since his joining the BB was part of that article, and still was not able to find it.

Here's the RS article. I used the link from this board under the Foskett item.
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/beach-boys-plan-tour-to-celebrate-50-years-of-fun-fun-fun-20140515

The poster that is still appearing on the Jones Beach venue website:
http://jonesbeach.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=430:the-beach-boys-july-5-2014&catid=56:concerts-2014&Itemid=100054
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 07:16:28 PM by KittyKat » Logged
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 09, 2014, 07:30:44 PM »

But why would anyone believe anything from THAT site? 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: June 09, 2014, 07:54:48 PM »

The Jones Beach show is still listed on Al's website.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 10, 2014, 02:54:57 AM »

It kinda feels like getting  hired!
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 10, 2014, 03:01:03 AM »

It kinda feels like getting  hired!
  Grin
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 10, 2014, 07:25:28 AM »

Well, this is worrisome to say the least. Really hoping Al will be a part of the show. 

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 10, 2014, 07:45:46 AM »

Mike and Al seem to be an odd couple.... Undecided

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: June 10, 2014, 09:12:29 AM »

I would still lean towards Al appearing. Given all the acrimony that came out of nit-picking how Al promoted his shows back in 1999, I find it hard to believe that anyone in the band would say in interviews that Al was going to appear if he wasn't confirmed. If this was just an informal case of Al "sitting in" with the band perhaps, they wouldn't have touted this in an interview and added his name to the advertising. It would be kind of a big deal to try to goose the ticket sales numbers by adding extra original band members, but do so without confirming their participation.

It may be the one and only gig for the foreseeable future, but unless someone made a lot of assumptions, I'd guess Al will be there on July 5th. If not, it will be VERY interesting to see what fallout may occur (for any or all of the band members involved, not to mention the venue, fans, etc.).

I'd be pissed if Al didn't show up and I had bought tickets, and I probably would have already bought tickets if a such a show were happening in my locale.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 10, 2014, 05:15:33 PM »

Mike is a serious bussinessman when it comes to touring. I doubt he'd promote Al's presence if he were not to show up.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 17, 2014, 09:53:56 AM »

Anxiously awaiting to see how this turns out.

Mike's not a Hawthorne boy. The Hawthorne guys stuck together. The Wilsons and I always had a special bond. We felt like we were a team.
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 20, 2014, 11:32:13 AM »

well i think we have our answer........

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=714043251987306&set=a.251194021605567.63433.100001449127373&type=1&theater

http://www.aljardine.com/calendar.html
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 11:33:06 AM by baseball95 » Logged
Gohi
« Reply #174 on: June 20, 2014, 11:40:37 AM »

Wow, what a clusterfuck.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 37 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx