gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680747 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 01:21:21 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 37 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Al joining Mike and Bruce for Jones Beach show  (Read 181819 times)
ToneBender631
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 08, 2014, 03:35:20 PM »

Just received a Live Nation e-mail:

The Beach Boys
with Felix Cavaliere's Rascals and
The Lovin' Spoonful

Saturday, July 5
Nikon at Jones Beach Theater

...More to come? Where's David?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 03:38:39 PM »

...and where's Brian? Oops, I guess we know that one...
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 03:40:58 PM »

I really hate that beach boys logo. the one on the GV box was far better...
had the beach boys made a good dancing album in late 70's glitzy style then that style would be fine I guess, but it's hardly hinted at on 15BO and doesn't really represent the 'sound' of the group except  Here Comes The Night (1979)
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 04:07:17 PM »

Hope this means more shows to come...
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 04:51:44 PM »

Excellent news!

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 04:54:17 PM »

had the beach boys made a good dancing album in late 70's glitzy style then that style would be fine I guess, but it's hardly hinted at on 15BO and doesn't really represent the 'sound' of the group except  Here Comes The Night (1979)

It's like they want a definitive typeface like the Beatles have, only this is The Beach Boys and they somehow make everything they do laughable. It's not even from an era when these guys made any hits...yet it now represents their image on CDs, concert posters, t-shirts, etc. Oy vey.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 04:54:21 PM »

I know Mike will let Al add Honkin Down the Highway and Lookin at Tomorrow for sure.  LOL
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 05:13:58 PM »

I know Mike will let Al add Honkin Down the Highway and Lookin at Tomorrow for sure.  LOL

Start holding your breath now

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 05:24:50 PM »

all 'sounds like a fake to me'  Grin

RickB
bachelorofbullets
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2014, 05:46:33 PM »

I missed the 2012 tour but I think I'm getting tix for this one.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2014, 10:42:43 PM »

had the beach boys made a good dancing album in late 70's glitzy style then that style would be fine I guess, but it's hardly hinted at on 15BO and doesn't really represent the 'sound' of the group except  Here Comes The Night (1979)

It's like they want a definitive typeface like the Beatles have, only this is The Beach Boys and they somehow make everything they do laughable. It's not even from an era when these guys made any hits...yet it now represents their image on CDs, concert posters, t-shirts, etc. Oy vey.

Rock & Roll Music - #5
15 Big Ones - #8
It's OK - #29

"Are we seeing a masterplan unfolding ?", he mused Idly to himself.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 10:44:08 PM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2014, 10:46:41 PM »

I refuse to go see the band or buy any more product until they stop using that logo. It really taints the music. Oh, hang on…

Al with Mike and Bruce, eh… and Al's playing a free gig with Dave soon too (and that Barbara Ann guy out of Jan & Dean)… wheels turning?

“We live in divisive times.”
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2014, 10:49:52 PM »

And "the professor" should be adding his two cents (about how Melinda is keeping Brian from reuniting with Mike and how five 70 years should get in a room against their will to make music for him) in three, two......

Nah but for real, good to see Al is working with Mike. It was awesome to see him working with Brian in the photos last week, and now this with Mike. So at least it looks like most of the group is cool with each other. Now if the Brian/Mike thing could get worked out, who knows??? Maybe we'll get some more stuff from the real Beach Boys. Probably not this year or next. But probably just in time for 2016. Which conveniently is going to be the 50th anniversary of Pet Sounds. Which sure sounds to me like a great idea to reunite again!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2014, 10:51:57 PM »

And "the professor" should be adding his two cents (about how Melinda is keeping Brian from reuniting with Mike and how five 70 years should get in a room against their will to make music for him) in three, two......

Nah but for real, good to see Al is working with Mike. It was awesome to see him working with Brian in the photos last week, and now this with Mike. So at least it looks like most of the group is cool with each other. Now if the Brian/Mike thing could get worked out, who knows??? Maybe we'll get some more stuff from the real Beach Boys. Probably not this year or next. But probably just in time for 2016. Which conveniently is going to be the 50th anniversary of Pet Sounds. Which sure sounds to me like a great idea to reunite again!

Dammit, I wish I'd thought of that.   Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2014, 10:54:09 PM »

Can't disagree. If the thing preventing a reunion of this band is really other factors (wives) then they ought to eat a chunk of humble, bite their tongues and step back, let the guys get on with making music together. The best music.

“We live in divisive times.”
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2014, 11:02:07 PM »

This is great news! Hopefully more to come! :-)
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2014, 12:22:09 AM »

I wouldn't ever accept a Beach Boys logo that doesn't include a surfboard! Cheesy

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2014, 02:36:43 AM »

The Beach Boys: Pet Sounds and SMiLE Live 2016

That's the kind of thing I daydream about walking home  angel

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2014, 06:46:59 AM »

Interesting stuff. I go into this more on my blog, but if Al plays the full show, this would be the first full-length gig Al has ever done with Mike’s “Beach Boys”, with the exception of possibly one or two private/corporate shows around April 2012 just prior to the reunion tour starting and, if you want to count them technically, the few gigs Al did in early-mid 1998 before his departure.

Hopefully, whether it’s one gig or many, they’ll give Al plenty of leads instead of just a few like “Rhonda”, etc.

Again, more analysis on my write-up on the blog, but I hope this has at least the slim possibility of meaning something more in the long-run. Al’s first appearance with Mike’s band in early 2011 did foreshadow their work together for the reunion which started a few months later.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2014, 07:25:44 AM »

Dammit, I wish I'd thought of that.   Grin

Well I did! LOL

PET SOUNDS 50th TOUR 2016 Grin

(Nothing would surprise me after this year)
Mayoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2014, 09:38:28 AM »

Very cool, it would be nice if they took that line-up to a few more larger places, hope the show does well.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2014, 09:51:35 AM »

had the beach boys made a good dancing album in late 70's glitzy style then that style would be fine I guess, but it's hardly hinted at on 15BO and doesn't really represent the 'sound' of the group except  Here Comes The Night (1979)

Rock & Roll Music - #5
15 Big Ones - #8
It's OK - #29

"Are we seeing a masterplan unfolding ?", he mused Idly to himself.  Roll Eyes

Touché. I should've said "memorable hits" (at least ones that are always on the greatest hits comps).

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2014, 10:21:16 AM »

Noteworthy that Al is able to work with Brian and Mike.  Al must have buried the hatchet with Mike.
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2014, 10:21:56 AM »

My question -- who shows up for the Rascals and Spoonful?  Would have like to have seen this gig in 1966!

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2014, 12:53:39 PM »

Perfect gig for Al to finally debut "Strange Things Happen" live!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 37 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx