gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681549 Posts in 27642 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 12, 2024, 03:55:38 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: After 50+ years, what's the final verdict on Mike Love?  (Read 32666 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #225 on: February 04, 2013, 11:00:04 PM »

Brian had precisely zilch to do with "Problem Child".  Wall

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: February 05, 2013, 03:41:27 AM »

Don't you think that Capitol from very early on took a kind of hands off approach to the Boys? Doesn't it seem that Brian established very early on that he wasn't going to be under the label's thumb and he got results and so from then on Brian sort of informed Capitol when and how they could jump and they hoped to be also told how high? It seems that way to me. Brian did what he wanted and he handed it in to Capitol when he wanted and Capitol was either scrambling to keep up or sitting on their hands waiting on Brian.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: February 05, 2013, 04:42:37 AM »

Yeah, I imagine being on Reprise must have been a bit of a shock - Sunflower turned down twice (was it twice?), the 'we need a single' response that Holland got, etc

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: February 05, 2013, 04:54:01 AM »

Yeah, I imagine being on Reprise must have been a bit of a shock - Sunflower turned down twice (was it twice?), the 'we need a single' response that Holland got, etc

Good insight.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: February 05, 2013, 05:56:57 AM »

Yeah, if Cam Mott's post/point is correct, and I believe it is, then Reprise must've been the anti-Capitol. Didn't Reprise reject almost every release during the first couple of years? Sunflower was rejected more than once, they "adjusted" Surf's Up with "Surf's Up", did Reprise feel that CATP - So Tough was so weak that they had to graft Pet Sounds to it, Holland had to be re-worked by adding "Sail On Sailor", deleting "We Got Love", and manufacturing a special 45 for "Mt. Vernon & Fairway", and In Concert was transformed from a single album to a double album with substantially different songs. It must've been a nightmare.

Ironically, when Reprise finally let The Beach Boys do their thing, they (Reprise) got 15 Big Ones and Love You. That's when Reprise should've intervened! Shocked
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 06:10:21 AM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
SgtTimBob
Smiley Smile Associate

Music Maker Extrodonaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #230 on: February 05, 2013, 06:52:16 AM »

Ironically, when Reprise finally let The Beach Boys do their thing, they (Reprise) got 15 Big Ones and Love You. That's when Reprise should've intervened! Shocked[/quote]

I think Love You is a magical, albeit eccentric, album. One of Brian's best imo. I'm glad it exists.

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #231 on: February 05, 2013, 12:14:15 PM »

Yeah, if Cam Mott's post/point is correct, and I believe it is, then Reprise must've been the anti-Capitol. Didn't Reprise reject almost every release during the first couple of years? Sunflower was rejected more than once, they "adjusted" Surf's Up with "Surf's Up", did Reprise feel that CATP - So Tough was so weak that they had to graft Pet Sounds to it, Holland had to be re-worked by adding "Sail On Sailor", deleting "We Got Love", and manufacturing a special 45 for "Mt. Vernon & Fairway", and In Concert was transformed from a single album to a double album with substantially different songs. It must've been a nightmare.

Ironically, when Reprise finally let The Beach Boys do their thing, they (Reprise) got 15 Big Ones and Love You. That's when Reprise should've intervened! Shocked

Some of Reprise's interventions were misguided, but often they were absolutely right: the tracklisting on Sunflower is vastly superior to the original line-up the group were offering up, and Sail on Sailor is a much better song than We Got Love (had We Got Love stayed on the album it'd have been far and away the weakest song on the album - to me, it's always seemed far more suited to CATP...) 
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: February 05, 2013, 12:25:39 PM »

Well yes, there was that as well, for definite. I've heard it said that Capitol were more concerned with milking the British invasion at this point.

Not really. They passed on most of the British groups that were offered to them, including The Hollies, Gerry & The Pacemakers, Billy J Kramer, Freddie And The Dreamers, Swinging Blue Jeans....some of these groups appeared on Capitol of Canada, who obviously knew not to pass on these acts. Hell, Capitol passed on the Beatles initially, Capitol of Canada jumped on them right away.

They did get Peter & Gordon, so I guess you have to give them SOME credit....

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: February 05, 2013, 06:14:34 PM »

Some of Reprise's interventions were misguided, but often they were absolutely right: the tracklisting on Sunflower is vastly superior to the original line-up the group were offering up, and Sail on Sailor is a much better song than We Got Love (had We Got Love stayed on the album it'd have been far and away the weakest song on the album - to me, it's always seemed far more suited to CATP...) 

We Got Love should have been on a studio album, Surf's Up, CATP, doesn't matter, altho' my own opinion is Surf's Up.  I've always thought of it as a strong tune and don't understand why it got shelved.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 05, 2013, 07:05:12 PM »

Considering it was due to be included on Holland, it may not have been written in time for CATP. Neither Ricky or Blondie were official members of the band for it to have been included on Surf's Up. There really was nowhere else to place the song, but on Holland. As it turned out, they made the right choice ditching it in favor of Sail On Sailor. Besides, the live version on In Concert is a much better arrangement than the studio version. Love the song, though.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 05, 2013, 07:11:32 PM »

We Got Love shouldn't have been ditched in favor of Sail On Sailor. I think it should have been included in favor of Leaving This Town. It is at least an upbeat, rocking tune, not a slow synth-solo drag. In my opinion, the only good Ricky/Blondie BB contribution.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: February 05, 2013, 07:31:14 PM »

We Got Love shouldn't have been ditched in favor of Sail On Sailor. I think it should have been included in favor of Leaving This Town. It is at least an upbeat, rocking tune, not a slow synth-solo drag. In my opinion, the only good Ricky/Blondie BB contribution.

No love for Here She Comes?

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 05, 2013, 07:32:53 PM »

No, I actually can barely make it through that one.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: February 05, 2013, 08:05:23 PM »

Unless you have heard a better studio version than what I've heard, the sound of the studio version is quite dull. The live version rocks way more than the studio version.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: February 05, 2013, 08:17:03 PM »

Unless you have heard a better studio version than what I've heard, the sound of the studio version is quite dull. The live version rocks way more than the studio version.

I agree. It still rocks more than most of their output on that era, tho. Not that everything has to rock, but it would have been a relief from the slowness of the second side.

rogerlancelot
« Reply #240 on: February 05, 2013, 08:36:44 PM »

I love "Here She Comes". And I bet Mike Love has a hairy bum. Not my final verdict but more of an intuitive guess.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: February 05, 2013, 08:52:24 PM »

No, I actually can barely make it through that one.

But that funky bassline...

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: February 05, 2013, 08:59:39 PM »

leave him off Alex, he's a gone case.

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: February 05, 2013, 09:37:30 PM »

Don't start, "Gertie". I like songs written and recorded by actual Beach Boys on my Beach Boys albums. If I want funky basslines, I'll listen to Bootsy's Rubber Band.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #244 on: February 05, 2013, 10:50:41 PM »

We Got Love should have been on a studio album, Surf's Up, CATP, doesn't matter, altho' my own opinion is Surf's Up. 

Bit tricky, as it wasn't written then.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: February 06, 2013, 12:10:07 AM »

Don't start, "Gertie". I like songs written and recorded by actual Beach Boys on my Beach Boys albums. If I want funky basslines, I'll listen to Bootsy's Rubber Band.

alright, "I."

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #246 on: February 06, 2013, 12:26:26 AM »

Not to bring this up again, but Blondie and Ricky were Beach Boys. If they were billed as such by the rest of the band, then they were legit Beach Boys. It would be different if they were just hired hands for the live shows or session musicians. Can't say it's because they weren't there long enough as they were there about the same amount of time as Dave was initially.  Can't say it's because they aren't family, because neither are Alan or Bruce. Can't say it's because they changed the sound of the band, because that is what happens much of the time when a new member joins a band. There's no good reason to exclude them.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
MBE
« Reply #247 on: February 06, 2013, 12:52:54 AM »

Not to bring this up again, but Blondie and Ricky were Beach Boys. If they were billed as such by the rest of the band, then they were legit Beach Boys. It would be different if they were just hired hands for the live shows or session musicians. Can't say it's because they weren't there long enough as they were there about the same amount of time as Dave was initially.  Can't say it's because they aren't family, because neither are Alan or Bruce. Can't say it's because they changed the sound of the band, because that is what happens much of the time when a new member joins a band. There's no good reason to exclude them.
No they are real Beach Boys to me.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: February 06, 2013, 01:46:07 AM »

I'd take Blondie and Ricky's songs over Bruce's or Al's any day.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: February 06, 2013, 02:05:43 AM »

It may be an extreme example but saying Blondie and Ricky were not proper members of The Beach Boys because they were only in the band for a couple of years is like saying Syd Barrett wasn't a proper member of Pink Floyd!!

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx