gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681020 Posts in 27627 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 16, 2024, 12:24:51 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: After 50+ years, what's the final verdict on Mike Love?  (Read 32565 times)
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: February 06, 2013, 02:46:55 AM »

IMO Hold On Dear Brother is Blondie's and Ricky's only song worth of comparison to Bruce's and Al's best moments. Their songs are alright, but they lack those beautiful melodic arches Bruce and Al at their best are capable of. And if I want gritty, rootsy rock, I can get a better fix from some other band.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #251 on: February 06, 2013, 03:07:10 AM »

I think Love You is a magical, albeit eccentric, album. One of Brian's best imo. I'm glad it exists.

I wouldn't mind if it didn't exist, but I'm glad you're glad it does.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 05:27:57 AM by Micha » Logged

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #252 on: February 06, 2013, 04:16:14 AM »

It may be an extreme example but saying Blondie and Ricky were not proper members of The Beach Boys because they were only in the band for a couple of years is like saying Syd Barrett wasn't a proper member of Pink Floyd!!
Well said.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: February 06, 2013, 04:25:45 AM »

It amazes me that this subject keeps coming up over and over again these past 40 years. I guess actual facts don't matter. If one only believes that they weren't or shouldn't have been members, then that makes it so.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
MBE
« Reply #254 on: February 06, 2013, 04:35:22 AM »

I'd take Blondie and Ricky's songs over Bruce's or Al's any day.
I do like them better than Bruce, I love Al though too.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: February 06, 2013, 04:49:30 AM »

I tried to like Ricky&Blondie in the group, but I just can't do it. They don't fit into the BBs at all with their different musical styles and songs. Carl should have really used them on a side-project or solo album.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 06, 2013, 05:48:01 AM »

I tried to like Ricky&Blondie in the group, but I just can't do it. They don't fit into the BBs at all with their different musical styles and songs. Carl should have really used them on a side-project or solo album.

I tend to agree. This may be seen as blasphemism, so be it. Their musical approach is just too different, I always associate them with funky rock, long, long solos and a certain lack of melody.

*ducks empty bottles hurled at him*

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: February 06, 2013, 06:34:36 AM »

We are talking about 5 whole tracks (if you include the lead on Sail On Sailor) in the band's canon of released songs. Hell, I can get past the 5 worst songs from each band member. For me, no big deal in the large picture of their career. Having seen the band twice with Blondie and thrice with Ricky, they did give the band an edge that helped their live show, as they rose from the abyss of the late 60s.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 06, 2013, 07:25:25 AM »

We are talking about 5 whole tracks (if you include the lead on Sail On Sailor) in the band's canon of released songs. Hell, I can get past the 5 worst songs from each band member. For me, no big deal in the large picture of their career. Having seen the band twice with Blondie and thrice with Ricky, they did give the band an edge that helped their live show, as they rose from the abyss of the late 60s.

73/74 concert is one of my almost daily favorites, in the car, alongside Brian's Gershwin, Smiley/Wild Honey, Symphonic Sounds, Pet Sound sessions (I guess I'm lazy for not changing them out, but, I would if I wanted something else, I suppose.) Blondie and Ricky brought something different to the table when Carl was looking though a different lens to perhaps, add a dimension that would reflect a music genre that would add to the overall sound of the band, at that time. 

So Tough is a neat little offering, with Carl and the Passions.  And, taken as a whole corpus, that era has a substantial place, I think for raising social awareness, in almost an academic context.  It was a short era, but profound. But, I think Blondie was born to sing with the Stones. And, the Boys connection was likely a road to exactly that place. 
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 06, 2013, 04:08:21 PM »

I think Ricky and Blondie worked worked best in the touring band. They really added a certain rock and roll dynamic that brought the band back to life in front of what seemed to be an ambivalent public at the time. We Got Love is by far my favorite song from them.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: February 06, 2013, 04:10:16 PM »

Not to bring this up again, but Blondie and Ricky were Beach Boys. If they were billed as such by the rest of the band, then they were legit Beach Boys. It would be different if they were just hired hands for the live shows or session musicians. Can't say it's because they weren't there long enough as they were there about the same amount of time as Dave was initially.  Can't say it's because they aren't family, because neither are Alan or Bruce. Can't say it's because they changed the sound of the band, because that is what happens much of the time when a new member joins a band. There's no good reason to exclude them.

Ricky has said he and Blondie didn't consider themselves Beach Boys.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: February 06, 2013, 04:11:05 PM »

It may be an extreme example but saying Blondie and Ricky were not proper members of The Beach Boys because they were only in the band for a couple of years is like saying Syd Barrett wasn't a proper member of Pink Floyd!!

Syd created Pink Floyd.

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: February 06, 2013, 04:40:59 PM »

Syd created Pink Floyd.

Technically not true Ian. Syd was the last member to join the band that was to become Pink Floyd when they were billed as The Tea Set.

I can't pretend that Ricky and Blondie are not as far removed as possible from what the classic perception of The Beach Boys were or that in the group's 50 year + lifespan their presence was a minor blip, but none the less they were at one time actual members.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 04:43:06 PM by The Girl Who Kicked Mike's Beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 06, 2013, 04:42:06 PM »

I think they fit perfectly. Their songs were the weakest ones on the albums they were on, but I find it quite astonishing, actually, just how much Blondie's voice in particular sounds like a "Beach Boy" voice -- there's a very strong resemblance to both Carl and Al there. Certainly I think they were better vocal fits than Bruce (who's a great singer, but doesn't fit that family blend as well).

As for whether they were Beach Boys... they write, play and sing lead on three Beach Boys albums, on which they were credited as full members. Makes them Beach Boys as far as I'm concerned.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #264 on: February 06, 2013, 04:54:59 PM »

Not to bring this up again, but Blondie and Ricky were Beach Boys. If they were billed as such by the rest of the band, then they were legit Beach Boys. It would be different if they were just hired hands for the live shows or session musicians. Can't say it's because they weren't there long enough as they were there about the same amount of time as Dave was initially.  Can't say it's because they aren't family, because neither are Alan or Bruce. Can't say it's because they changed the sound of the band, because that is what happens much of the time when a new member joins a band. There's no good reason to exclude them.

And Bruce has said he considers himself a hired hand and is only in it for the money , but I still consider him a Beach Boy.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #265 on: February 06, 2013, 04:57:16 PM »

I think they fit perfectly. Their songs were the weakest ones on the albums they were on, but I find it quite astonishing, actually, just how much Blondie's voice in particular sounds like a "Beach Boy" voice -- there's a very strong resemblance to both Carl and Al there. Certainly I think they were better vocal fits than Bruce (who's a great singer, but doesn't fit that family blend as well).

As for whether they were Beach Boys... they write, play and sing lead on three Beach Boys albums, on which they were credited as full members. Makes them Beach Boys as far as I'm concerned.
I agree

Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: February 06, 2013, 05:47:26 PM »

And Bruce has said he considers himself a hired hand and is only in it for the money , but I still consider him a Beach Boy.

You had better. Otherwise, out comes that pistol for some whipping!

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #267 on: February 06, 2013, 06:05:40 PM »

LOL

I would say he has less street cred than anyone not named Shaun Cassidy, but then I remember he witnessed a shooting, so there you have it...he's the hizz-torical one.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: February 06, 2013, 06:43:06 PM »

Syd created Pink Floyd.

Technically not true Ian. Syd was the last member to join the band that was to become Pink Floyd when they were billed as The Tea Set.

Yeah, he didn't create The Tea Set. He created the whole artistic concept of what Pink Floyd became with his compositions, guitar playing and charisma. He is Brian Wilson, as far as the original band is concerned. Creedence Clearwater Revival sprang from a group helmed by John Fogerty's brother, but no one would say John wasn't the leader of CCR.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: February 06, 2013, 06:44:34 PM »

That's cool. As it is cool for me to agree with Ricky and Blondie on the subject of them being out of place within the Beach Boys main group construct.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: February 06, 2013, 06:58:00 PM »

Syd also named the band....

Wow, I'm surprised at the support for Blondie and Ricky. Yes, I do believe you have to consider them Beach Boys, but only "legally" or technically. The only thing that made them more of a Beach Boy than Kowalski, Carter, Meros, Hinsche, et al is that they appeared on two album covers and contributed, what, three or four songs, whereas the other backing band members didn't. If that makes you a Beach Boy, then they were IN FACT Beach Boys.

I don't think Blondie's voice fits AT ALL with the group - lead or background - and I will always wish Dennis or Carl would've sang lead on "Sail On Sailor". Blondie and Ricky's songs are even less Beach Boyish. I appreciate their songs and tolerate them, but I also wish their songs would've been replaced by other Brian or Dennis songs. I don't want to completely hammer them. I think Blondie is the best guitarist the group ever had, and I think Ricky is the best drummer they ever had.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: February 06, 2013, 07:07:05 PM »

As much as I adore Syd..... Rick Wright's organ textures/vocals and Nick's very non-pop drumming also contributed heavily to Pink Floyd's sound. And these are the elements that carried through post-Syd that still retained any esscence of the Syd fronted group....

Just my two cents.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: February 06, 2013, 07:16:34 PM »

As much as I adore Syd..... Rick Wright's organ textures/vocals and Nick's very non-pop drumming also contributed heavily to Pink Floyd's sound. And these are the elements that carried through post-Syd that still retained any esscence of the Syd fronted group....

Just my two cents.

I agree, the other members are important.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #273 on: February 06, 2013, 07:23:45 PM »

That's cool. As it is cool for me to agree with Ricky and Blondie on the subject of them being out of place within the Beach Boys main group construct.
I can dig that. I do often wonder what would have happened if they stuck around. Would we still gave had 15 Big Ones?

As for the Floyd, I miss Wright's keyboard stylings on the post 75 albums. More than anything else it's that sound I loved especially the 60s ethereal organ sound

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: February 06, 2013, 07:28:26 PM »

Just my two cents.

I think that Syd had such an influence over Roger, David, Rick and Nick, that the post-Syd music actually reflected Syd's spirit. There's been a few documentaries produced over the last decade or so, and I've heard/seen each member mention how Dark Side Of The Moon and Wish You Were Here would not have happened without Syd's influence. He made that much of an impression on them.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx