gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:41:39 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 79 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Stephen Desper Thread  (Read 718493 times)
Uncomfortable Seat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #425 on: February 14, 2006, 07:08:36 PM »

What I meant to say was, I didn't think the modular system was the sound source for the ribbon controller[/color]

"There's one thing I do that's kind of a personal thing -- I tell jokes sometimes which are corny, which are outright stupid, and bomb. That, to me, is funny when nobody laughs."
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: February 14, 2006, 07:12:12 PM »

One more ribbon controller note -- check out the In Concert album, either vinyl or 2000 CD (the Caribou only had the pix on the longbox).  Mike is clearly pictured on the back of the album playing the ribbon controller.
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #427 on: February 14, 2006, 08:27:36 PM »

Mr. Desper, were you mixing at either of these shows?  One was Central Park 1971 for ABC, and one was London in 1972 for the BBC.  The latter had Ricky and Blondie and guest Elton John.
Yes and No.  The house mix is usually not the video or film mix.  The way it works is that the vocal and a few featured instrument microphones go into a spittter box.  This box is full of high-quality microphone transformers that split out several feeds for each microphone. The feeds are all electrically isolated (via the transformer) from each other to prevent grounding problems between one system and the other and thus generate hum.  The mixer for the film will take these feeds plus the overall house feed.  The reason for seperate mixes is that the audience is seeing the entire group all the time and needs a good balance of the entire act on stage.  However, the film viewer will not be seeing the group most of the time. There will be closeups of people and instruments.  If there's a closeup of Carl, the sound for the film will need to be higher -- disproportionalately higher -- than the general mix to compensate for the full shot of Carl singing.  Maybe it's a two-shot to Bruce and Al around one mic.  Then that will need to come up in the mix to compliment the picture, even if it's a background part and makes no sense musically.  Or a closeup of a keyboard will require that keyboard sound to come up in the mix.  A drum shot will need boosting as the drummer hits a snare or something. So as house mixer, I have no idea what the film director is doing.  His sound person is either looking at a monitor while he mixes or is taking it all down on a multi-track to be mixed later in a studio.  There may even be some sweetening of the sound after-the-fact.  The last show I re-mixed in this way was with Beach Boy Family and Friends at Sony Pictures in 5.1 Surround.  I did mix for the house, but ran a 40-track recorder capturing every microphone signal without processing. Later after the eight camera footages were assembled, the 40 tracks of sound were mixed TO PICTURE.  As things came up on screen the sound would be elevated to match what the viewer was seeing to what they were hearing.  I remember one shot that was a traveling shot from one end of the stage to the other over a period of 30 seconds.  As the camera moved past each member of the band, I had to boost that instrument.  Thank goodness for automated sliders!  ~swd
Dan Lega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: February 15, 2006, 06:31:43 AM »

What ever happened to this video?  We've got a live CD of Al Jardine's Family & Friends from Vegas, but we certainly don't have any video of a full concert.  It's a shame this hasn't been released.  Where exactly was it filmed?  Were all three women on stage for this show -- Carnie, Wendy, and Owen Eliot?

Love and merci,  Dan Lega
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #429 on: February 15, 2006, 07:54:12 AM »

I found this:

Updated 10/4/2001
THIS IS AN OFFICIAL OFFER TO OBTAIN A NUMBERED COPY OF THE ALAN JARDINE,FAMILY & FRIENDS SHRINE AUDITORIUM CONCERT OF 1998 , from Stephen Desper.

http://members.tripod.com/~Records2/OctNovDec2001.html

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Dan Lega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #430 on: February 15, 2006, 12:18:54 PM »

Charles, how in the world did you dig that up?!   :D   (You must have been one of the 40 people to get one, otherwise I don't see how you could have remembered that offer!)

It's a shame the offer wasn't for a full concert, that would be a super nice video to have.

Love and merci,   Dan Lega
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #431 on: February 15, 2006, 07:15:19 PM »

Charles, how in the world did you dig that up?!   :D   (You must have been one of the 40 people to get one, otherwise I don't see how you could have remembered that offer!)

It's a shame the offer wasn't for a full concert, that would be a super nice video to have.

Love and merci,   Dan Lega

I don't know about the Vegas CD lineup but I can tell you about the former show.

After the 9-11 attack happened, I asked Alan if I could release two songs from the 45 minuite set his group Beach Boys Family and Friends performed at the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles for a hospital benefit.  That show featured several artists, a 100 piece symphony orchestra and Alan's group.  It was filmed using 8 cameras and recorded on 40 tracks.  This was edited to a full DVD version of segments from the complete concert.  Alan owns the rights to his performance, but the association that presented the event only paid for two songs to be edited from 8 cameras down to a program and mixed at Sony Pictures in 5.1 Surround and Dolby ProLogic.  Those two songs were included in the DVD (now out of print) and on the Cassette I offered. The DVD was mostly sold in China. I obtained permission from the sponsor to release Alan's performance on a video cassette, the purpose of which was to raise money for the Red Cross 9-11 fund.  We raised around $2,000 by selling a limited number of signed and numbered copies of this part of the concert. It was mostly offered on Susan's old website of Cabinessence.com. The show was a first-class performance with two of Brian's daughters, Carnie and Wendy, plus Owen Elliot, and two of Alan's son's Adam and Matt.  Ed Carter on guitar, Billy Hinsche at the keys, and other members of the old Beach Boy band. With six people on the front line doing the vocals and a big band behind them the sound and performance were excellent. Maybe someday I'll release a general copy of the show, but for now those who bought and contributed to the cause have collector copies. Alan has the rights to his entire performance, but the costs of editing and assembling a mix can be enourmous. So any further chances of seeing any of that show are really up to Al Jardine.
  ~swd   
« Last Edit: February 15, 2006, 07:20:38 PM by Stephen W. Desper » Logged
Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #432 on: February 15, 2006, 07:48:44 PM »

Google, Dan.  Dan, Google.  Smiley

I wish I had this DVD.

Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #433 on: February 15, 2006, 07:50:04 PM »

So any further chances of seeing any of that show are really up to Al Jardine. [/b]  ~swd   

Is it time to start another petition?  Smiley

Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: February 16, 2006, 02:43:49 AM »

I dunno.  I"m not sure that Alan strikes me as the petition-responding type...
;-)

I remember when these VHSs were offered, and i remember being too broke to get one...like the Two-Lane Blacktop DVD, i should have put the rent off and gotten one!!

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #435 on: February 16, 2006, 04:57:29 AM »

I've got one...it definitely features "God Only Knows".  Can't remember "Rhonda" specifically, but that doesn't mean it isn't there...I'm sure it is, if it says so.  Curiously, I remember seeing somewhere that "Wouldn't It Be Nice" was included, but I really don't think it was.

Guess I'll have to fight my laziness and actually check it out (something I haven't done since I got it). 

Related note...anyone else see BBFF on "Regis & Kathy Lee" that fall of '98?  I believe that was their only appearance with The Captain (I do not see him at all on the Steve Desper/Shrine Bowl
video).   I think they did "I Can Hear Music", "Darlin'", and "Fun Fun Fun".   Good performances. 

C-Man
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #436 on: February 16, 2006, 06:54:33 AM »

I've got one...it definitely features "God Only Knows".  Can't remember "Rhonda" specifically, but that doesn't mean it isn't there...I'm sure it is, if it says so.  Curiously, I remember seeing somewhere that "Wouldn't It Be Nice" was included, but I really don't think it was.

Guess I'll have to fight my laziness and actually check it out (something I haven't done since I got it). 

Related note...anyone else see BBFF on "Regis & Kathy Lee" that fall of '98?  I believe that was their only appearance with The Captain (I do not see him at all on the Steve Desper/Shrine Bowl
video).   I think they did "I Can Hear Music", "Darlin'", and "Fun Fun Fun".   Good performances. 

C-Man
In the beginning Daryl Dragon was in the band and musical director.  He did all the arrangements. He rehearsed the band at Rumbo and Al rehearsed the singers at another studio, I can't remember which one -- one in Hollywood.  They rehearsed for two weeks before moving on to full rehearsals at one of those band practice studios that have big stages and sound systems for rehearsing.  Stage and blocking rehearsals lasted another week. But The Captain became increasingly disenchanted toward the end of rehearsal with all the fooling around and light hearted joking that goes on when you put so many personalities together. He has a rather serious, down-to-business nature. Then too he and the tour manager did not see eye to eye on much of anything (me too for that matter) and being that Daryl had other sources of income and projects waiting to complete, decided to leave.  Billy took over as musical director and did a masterful job for the duration. 

I don't think the master tapes and videos are in Alan's posession.  I believe they are either at Sony Pictures or, more likely in China at the sponcer's headquarters. He does not own the tapes, only the rights to what is on the tapes -- and then only the right to use what's on the tapes for his own releases. The sponser has full rights.  Somewhere I have a recording of the entire concert.  Maybe I'll make a copy on my new CD Burner.

~swd 
Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: February 17, 2006, 11:19:35 AM »

Is Daryl Dragon still married to Toni Tenille?

Just curious.

Glenn
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #438 on: February 17, 2006, 11:21:47 AM »

Yes, indeed.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #439 on: February 17, 2006, 11:34:08 AM »

Wow!  Good for them!

Glenn
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #440 on: February 17, 2006, 02:36:42 PM »

Is Daryl Dragon still married to Toni Tenille?

Just curious.

They are quite happy together for 31 years in 2006. Currently living in Las Vegas where they do shows and Daryl is involved in creation of commercial soundtracks.

Captain & Tennille

The ever beautiful and talented Toni Tinnille   

~swd
Uncomfortable Seat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #441 on: February 17, 2006, 03:15:10 PM »

they're not in Washoe Valley anymore?

"There's one thing I do that's kind of a personal thing -- I tell jokes sometimes which are corny, which are outright stupid, and bomb. That, to me, is funny when nobody laughs."
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #442 on: February 17, 2006, 03:25:28 PM »

I saw that Rumbo was sold.
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #443 on: February 17, 2006, 03:50:44 PM »

they're not in Washoe Valley anymore?
I believe they've moved to Vages frm Reno several years ago, but ask her yourself.

"Toni Tennille can be contacted through this web site at www.tonitennille.net"  -- from the webpage.

OR For e-mail correspondence, write to:
"Dear Captain & Tennille.."  at >>> mailto:ToniDarylFans@aol.com

~swd
« Last Edit: February 17, 2006, 04:00:29 PM by Stephen W. Desper » Logged
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #444 on: February 17, 2006, 08:53:21 PM »

Stephen, I have NEVER seen any photos of the Beach Boys on tour with Toni.  You wouldn't happen to have any, would you?  And which tour was she on?  Did she sing any vocals?  Do anything in the studio?

I cringed when I read Mike Love's complaint against Al Jardine -- part of it made reference to using women on a Beach Boys-related show.  As if Toni Tenille had never been with the band...

EDIT:  A Captain and Tenille Christmas CD in 2006?  That will be something to look forward to!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2006, 08:56:55 PM by Jeff Mason » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #445 on: February 17, 2006, 09:47:44 PM »

I cringed when I read Mike Love's complaint against Al Jardine -- part of it made reference to using women on a Beach Boys-related show.  As if Toni Tenille had never been with the band...

And Mike didn't seem to have a problem having women dressed in bikinis and cheerleader outfits dancing around him on stage at Beach Boys shows in the 90's. As long as the women didn't *sing* at his BB's shows, he was fine with having them on stage.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #446 on: February 18, 2006, 05:20:18 AM »

Stephen, I have NEVER seen any photos of the Beach Boys on tour with Toni.  You wouldn't happen to have any, would you?  And which tour was she on?  Did she sing any vocals?  Do anything in the studio?

Jeff -
Toni played piano and sometimes sang backup with the Boys on the two tours they did following their return from Holland:  August-September and November-December, 1972.   She is on the recently booted Thanksgiving night show from Carnegie Hall (and also a couple of live cuts on "Endless Harmony Soundtrack").  She did NOT perform on their May-June '72 European tour, despite what someone (OK, me) once said.  There is one published photo that I am aware of:  page 150 of David Leaf's book (original 1978 edition), lower right hand corner (sharing a mic with Carl).  Plus, a certain fan sent me a few colored shots taken from the audience on those two tours, including a couple of Toni close ups (sorry, can't share them without his permission). 

Studio-wise, probably Toni's only contribution to a BBs record is singing on "Everyone's In Love With You". She did join Carl, Bruce and Billy for the backups on Elton's "Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me", and sang with Bruce & co. on Pink Floyd's "The Wall".  Which you probably already know, but I'm including for the benefit of anyone who might not. 

C-Man   Smiley
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #447 on: February 18, 2006, 05:23:33 AM »

I almost forgot - Captain & Tenille were on "Entertainment Tonight" recently (or was it "Access Hollywood"?), mostly talking about how happy they still are being married (GOOD for them!).  Daryl was asked where the name "Captain" came from, so he mentioned the Beach Boys connection. 

The interviewer asked Daryl about his omni-present shades, which he removed to reveal a rather swollen eyeball, the result of s degenerative disease that I think he said he'd recently had surgery for.

C-Man
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #448 on: February 21, 2006, 09:50:55 AM »

The interviewer asked Daryl about his omni-present shades, which he removed to reveal a rather swollen eyeball, the result of s degenerative disease that I think he said he'd recently had surgery for.
C-Man
Daryl has eyes that are somewhat larger than you would expect. I think they are handsome, but he has always been self-conscious about them and used dark glasses in public.  Once in a while you see him without the glasses. Maybe this is some solution.

He is quite a fellow.  Very Very Smart.  He gained my respect in the studio right away.  Fantastic at the keyboard.  Can play any song in any style.  I've watched him transpose from key to key in mid-stream.  Just call out the key and he can play completely written out chord sheets in any key. 

The old MOOG's had DC controlled keyboards.  One day Bruce, Daryl and I were in the studio doing some MOOG things.  Bruce and I were challanging Daryl to play some very hard things so I wondered if he could take, what I thought would be the ultimate challenge.  I took the MOOG keyboard and inverted the keys.  That is, starting at the left were the highest notes on down to the right for the lowest notes.  Completelly reversed.  As you know the keyboard has black and white notes that are the half-note steps.  Now when you invert the keyboard, the gaps between the white and black notes, being irregular, does not translate in the flipover. In fact nothing makes any sense.  I did the keyboard flp and Bruce tried his hand -- total failure.  Then Darly tried and I knew why they call him "Capt. Keyboard."  He could play any sheet music on the first pass WITH THE KEYBOARD INVERTED !!  It was an absolutly insane accomplishment.  He said it was all mathamatics to him -- like the key changes.  But still, I've never seen anything like that demonstration since. 

His wife is equally talented.  I've recorded her and she usually does all singing on the first take.  Once in a great while you will need a second take, but not much.  She is a fabulous studio singer.  No punch-in's are required. 

They are both lovely people and a pleasure to be with.
  ~swd
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #449 on: February 21, 2006, 09:56:34 AM »

Steve, a few of us were discussing Daryl's bass contributions on Sunflower and Surf's Up.  He was trained as a srting bassist at one point in his life, High School or College, I don't remember.

Anyhow, do you remember how much bass Daryl did contribute?  I'm still trying to get a feel for who contributed what.

And on that subject, if you missed it, here is a cool pic thanks to Mark H:

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 79 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx