gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681552 Posts in 27642 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 12, 2024, 09:30:20 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 79 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Stephen Desper Thread  (Read 730818 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #375 on: February 08, 2006, 12:56:57 PM »

COMMENT TO ALL --

I did not say there were NO press mentions of a Smile project, I said they were far and few between.  You can dig them up but the point is you must dig to find them.  The Smile name is not in every interview of those times.  I doubt you will find anything before '66.
  ~swd

I agree with you entirely on that - because Smile was a 1966 project.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #376 on: February 08, 2006, 12:59:20 PM »

"So what I'm saying is that these sessions were not referred to as Smile sessions by those involved with them at that time.  The reference to Smile came later.

And with this I'm done on the subject.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2006, 01:02:06 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: February 08, 2006, 01:34:55 PM »

The Carl thing in 1972 is on p,128 of Look ! Listen ! Vibrate ! Smile!

Excellent!  I have that book!

Thanks, Andrew!

Glenn
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #378 on: February 08, 2006, 01:56:51 PM »

"So what I'm saying is that these sessions were not referred to as Smile sessions by those involved with them at that time.  The reference to Smile came later.

Me too -- I hope we can move on.  I've visited your website bellagio 10452 and found many interesting things. Some useful items cannot be found elsewhere.   ~swd
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: February 08, 2006, 01:58:06 PM »

Stephen,

Did you engineer any of Bruce's tracks and if so can you answer my question about The nearest Faraway place...it got lost a couple of pages ago with the whole 'smile' fiasco Wink

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #380 on: February 08, 2006, 03:13:49 PM »

Me too -- I hope we can move on.  I've visited your website bellagio 10452 and found many interesting things. Some useful items cannot be found elsewhere.   ~swd

Kind words are always appreciated, just as additions and corrections are always welcomed - especially from someone who was there. The whole Spring period is still a very gray area.

Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #381 on: February 08, 2006, 04:12:41 PM »

Stephen,
Also, I know its been a while, but how many instruments do you think were used for Bruce's 'The Nearest Faraway Place'? To me (not including the guitar playing) it sounds like it was done all with just one keyboard synth...
I thought you were joking with this question.  First, sampling forty years ago?  NOT!  Second, suggest you listen real hard.  Amid others you should hear a Grand Piano, Fender Rhodes, Bass Guitar, Tuned Timbale, Timbale return, Violin section, Viola section, Cellos, Harp, Vibs, and a Celista. ~swd
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: February 08, 2006, 04:13:21 PM »

The whole Spring period is still a very gray area.

Hint hint...!
;-)

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #383 on: February 08, 2006, 04:24:15 PM »

Comment to aeijtzsche --

Still looking for a snare drum? 

Check out this DW snare  >>> http://www.dwdrums.com/may/acousticeq.htm

A drum made for the microphone.  Look at the videos.
  ~swd
Jason
« Reply #384 on: February 08, 2006, 04:29:32 PM »

Mr. Desper, what recollections do you have on the track Student Demonstration Time, if any?
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: February 08, 2006, 04:38:53 PM »

Read the book, man.

Steve, very interesting Snare drum.  Looks neat.  I am still in the market for a good one, (and a tape machine, a good compressor, a good monitoring system [which I may ask you about at some point], a boeing 747...you know, you always want more stuff.)  but I changed heads on my current one to the Remo "rennaisance" model, and it's made a pretty good difference, night and day really.  But I need a wood snare.  And a million dollars, and a Benz...
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: February 08, 2006, 05:12:00 PM »

Stephen,
Also, I know its been a while, but how many instruments do you think were used for Bruce's 'The Nearest Faraway Place'? To me (not including the guitar playing) it sounds like it was done all with just one keyboard synth...
I thought you were joking with this question.  First, sampling forty years ago?  NOT!  Second, suggest you listen real hard.  Amid others you should hear a Grand Piano, Fender Rhodes, Bass Guitar, Tuned Timbale, Timbale return, Violin section, Viola section, Cellos, Harp, Vibs, and a Celista. ~swd

seriously, I hear all these instruments, but I swear it sounds like he did it all in one sitting on one of those neat all-in-one keyboards...obviously the technology back then isn't as good as it is now..but you catch my drift.

good stuff

--
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #387 on: February 08, 2006, 05:19:30 PM »

Read the book, man.

Steve, very interesting Snare drum.  Looks neat.  I am still in the market for a good one, (and a tape machine, a good compressor, a good monitoring system [which I may ask you about at some point], a boeing 747...you know, you always want more stuff.)  but I changed heads on my current one to the Remo "rennaisance" model, and it's made a pretty good difference, night and day really.  But I need a wood snare.  And a million dollars, and a Benz...

What A Deal !!!   >>> http://www.aircraftbargains.com/ad/ad350.asp  ~swd
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #388 on: February 08, 2006, 05:25:40 PM »

Stephen,

seriously, I hear all these instruments, but I swear it sounds like he did it all in one sitting on one of those neat all-in-one keyboards...obviously the technology back then isn't as good as it is now..but you catch my drift.

good stuff
No, the technology back then was just as good as now, except that now who wants to afford an orchesta for a pop album when the samples are in the software?  ~swd
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: February 08, 2006, 05:36:51 PM »

No, the technology back then was just as good as now, except that now who wants to afford an orchesta for a pop album when the samples are in the software?  ~swd

I would...give me the real and the organic every single time!

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #390 on: February 08, 2006, 05:39:03 PM »

I would...give me the real and the organic every single time!

I agree ! Real instruments are the best imho

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: February 08, 2006, 06:08:49 PM »

There's something to be said for a group of musicians playing together, rather than one man at his keyboard being each person individually.

Not even talking sound, talking about feel.

Something I lose in every recording, being one person.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #392 on: February 08, 2006, 06:32:20 PM »

I agree.. one time I recorded a track which I had intended to be this massive production; by the time I added two guitars, bass, ocarina, maracas, and backwards breathing wind effects, it sounded so cold and empty (not ideal for a love song).

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: February 08, 2006, 06:36:37 PM »

I agree.. one time I recorded a track which I had intended to be this massive production; by the time I added two guitars, bass, ocarina, maracas, and backwards breathing wind effects, it sounded so cold and empty (not ideal for a love song).

I know that feeling all too much. I plan out my productions with such grand ideas, which would actually be quite nice if I had the lead of an orchestra of people. But, through the excessive overdubbing to attain the results, all feeling just flies out the window.

I'm thinking about just recording as myself and the one instrument I choose for the song.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: February 08, 2006, 07:33:09 PM »

Stephen,

good stuff

I dont know...synth technology has gone a long way with pads/strings/other instruments...but I agree with you guys...Ill take the real deal over anything else any day...

Its just that one darn song that sounds weird to me...reminds me of Bruce's 'Endless Harmony' tune...

--
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #395 on: February 08, 2006, 08:36:33 PM »

It would be nice if we could just pop in next door and record a song or two in the hall:

But that's a pie-in-the-sky wish . . .

So here you go . . .

PUNK ROCK ORCHESTRA RECORDING SESSION AT SKYWALKER RANCH

Take a look at these players (78 photos). Not your average orchestra look.

Then here are some session photos from real instrumentation.

TSUNAMI ORCHESTRA

~swd
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #396 on: February 08, 2006, 08:42:30 PM »

hahaha, good stuff, stephen, good stuff...

--
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: February 09, 2006, 06:32:58 PM »

Yeah, you know...some of my most favorite recordings (that I've done) are the ones that have no fake reverb.  I'm always recording in a dinky carpeted room, etc...so everything's dry and in your face...but hey...that's what I was given.  It's hard to resist the tech...but if and when I do, it's just so much more character in every bite!!

Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #398 on: February 09, 2006, 06:58:46 PM »

Yeah, you know...some of my most favorite recordings (that I've done) are the ones that have no fake reverb.  I'm always recording in a dinky carpeted room, etc...so everything's dry and in your face...but hey...that's what I was given.  It's hard to resist the tech...but if and when I do, it's just so much more character in every bite!!
"recording in a dinky carpeted room"  Why not try a room mic -- a stereo room mic?  OR  take your finished mix and play it back in your "dinky carpeded room" using a couple of mics to pickup the room sound and mix it in with the "dry and in your face" sound.  OR make a deal with whomever you live with to use a larger room for a "one-time" playback in that room to get a larger room sound.  ~swd
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: February 10, 2006, 03:52:27 AM »

Some of the chicks in that orchestra are HOT!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 79 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx