gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681511 Posts in 27640 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 10, 2024, 12:52:44 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 35 Go Down Print
Author Topic: In The Key Of Disney  (Read 137022 times)
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2011, 08:21:33 PM »

No release date has EVER been stated by Capitol. There is no bumping, only expectation.

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2011, 08:22:02 PM »

Why would Capitol make an official release date announcement when unofficially they have had to make 4 changes so far? This has nothing to do with screwing with the fans, just business decisions and spreading out releases to maximize profits most likely.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2011, 12:56:49 AM »

All this bumping of the release date is just tactic. Everyone knows about the legend and how many times it would be released "soon". Capitol is just playing with us, so that the legend continues for a few months and gets people's attention that way. That means more $$   In fact, if it really was like that, I think it's kinda clever

No. Emphatically, not.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
willy
Smiley Smile Associate

Hooga hagga hooga!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2011, 03:19:02 AM »

On the day of the SMiLE Sessions release, we will all be simultaneously feverishly ripping off the shrink wrap when there will be a blinding white light and we will all become dust in the wind......

I bumped my head, the sky turned red, the aardvark said "Banana!"
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2011, 03:22:19 AM »

On the day of the SMiLE Sessions release, we will all be simultaneously feverishly ripping off the shrink wrap when there will be a blinding white light and we will all become dust in the wind......

Speak for yourself. I will be saved...

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2011, 04:00:31 AM »

I might break wind. But that's it.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
ghost
« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2011, 07:02:52 AM »

Somehow I doubt these office bound penguins are "messing with us" about the release date of the SS. It's doubtful they even know what music is - there's a reason Brian used to speak to these people with pre-recorded answers on a tape recorder, guys.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2011, 10:10:44 AM »

All this bumping of the release date is just tactic. Everyone knows about the legend and how many times it would be released "soon". Capitol is just playing with us, so that the legend continues for a few months and gets people's attention that way. That means more $$   In fact, if it really was like that, I think it's kinda clever

I don't see it. The non-aficionados don't really care, and aren't tracking this release and haven't really been thinking about it since the week of the announcement. So really this "strategy" is being aimed at us, the fandom and the record collecting fanatics. And all that's happening as a result is just argument and frustration. This hurts the release more than anything else, we don't need to be reminded that this album has been long delayed, we all got that point long ago.

I guess I should have use that smiley, right ?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jason
« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2011, 05:35:36 PM »

Wasn't Gettin in Over My Head released around the same time as some "other " album?  This sounds lika a repeat.

That was a situation where Warners was interested in BWPS; the management said "y'want BWPS, y'gotta put this out, too."

There is no such situation with the Disney album and the Smile box as they are on two different labels.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2011, 07:38:48 PM »

True about the 2 labels but each could help the others profile.

I think the wait for the SS's will be worth it. I for one would sooner have the best product available in Nov than a sub-standard one back in July. We could of had pages of discussion on mistakes in the proposed booklet, snippets left out of the boxset due to the failure to dot the legal i's and cross the t's.
When this thing was announced in March there was talk about long lost and unknown snippets maybe turning up. If this is the case, get the ok to include it now rather than in a year or two having a expanded boxset and we will complain about having to buy it again! If doing this takes a bit more time, I can live with it.

In the meantime, the Disney recording was completed in May (I think), so if its ready to go....put it out!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 07:39:53 PM by TheOther Anonymous » Logged
ghost
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2011, 07:58:24 PM »

So what's the news guys? Anyone know anything yet on the tracklist of In The Key Of Disney? I'm excited for it right now! It sounds kind of cool. Maybe no one's talking about it because it left everyone speechless.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 13, 2011, 10:16:35 PM »

BWRG remains a stunning, unexpected gem.

You just don't get BW vocals like that on an album in which he is uninterested or unengaged.

I agree, I thought the album was great and still listen to it all the time.  My favorite song on it is "Someone to watch Over Me", he sings it very well.  This Disney album is going to rock.  Brian loved Gershwin and wanted to do those songs, and they were good.  He feels similarly about this Disney material.  I liked the Christmas album, though, for the same reasons so who am I to listen to.

IN MY OPINION, Brian's weakness is his lyrics.  Gettin' In Over My Head was pretty horrid lyrically.  TLOS was pretty good, because Scott wrote pretty good lyrics for it.  Van Dyke wrote those awesome links.  The Christmas album had some of the best written standards of all time.  The Gershwin album was lyrically great, with the exception of "Nothing but Love", yuck.  The Disney songs will be great because they're all well written. 

Brian can handle the music competently.  He can handle the arrangement competently.  He can't write to save his life anymore.  Since the Disney stuff is already lyrically nice, he'll really knock it out of the park. 
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: August 13, 2011, 10:21:08 PM »

If his vocals are anything like they were on TLOS or (especially) BWRG, then we're in for a treat.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2011, 02:57:55 AM »

If his vocals are anything like they were on TLOS or (especially) BWRG, then we're in for a treat.
Yap. Guys, it's gonna be great.
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: August 14, 2011, 03:32:49 AM »

It seems a significant oversight by Brian and everyone running his life for him that he should have two albums ready for release virtually simultaneously. If he was Radiohead of something then it might not make any difference as wealthy middle-classfans would just happily buy both.

Having said that, if there was someone thinking to themselves: Hmm, shall I buy the great lost Smile sessions, or shall I buy an album of Disney covers, you'd think that the decision - depending on the fan - should be quite easy.

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: August 14, 2011, 03:34:28 AM »

Easy solution to having two Brian Wilson albums coming out at the same time: just make the Disney album part of the Smile Sessions box set!  Grin

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 14, 2011, 03:42:54 AM »

It seems a significant oversight by Brian and everyone running his life for him that he should have two albums ready for release virtually simultaneously…

Don't forget Al's CD Postcards with bonus tracks…    be good to know where Dave's album's at too.

“We live in divisive times.”
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 14, 2011, 03:44:55 AM »

Who said Brian was at fault? ITKOD was completely finished in May. Disney are the ones sitting on it.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: August 14, 2011, 05:07:52 AM »

Who said Brian was at fault? ITKOD was completely finished in May. Disney are the ones sitting on it.

Damn those Disney swine!

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 14, 2011, 05:25:30 AM »

..waiting for the hype in the press during the weeks after the release date announcement and before the ultimate SMiLE SESSIONS release. ITKOD and the SMiLE SESSIONS (as well as Al's POSTCARD) then will be released within weeks of each other. At least, that's my guess. Let's hope all this will still happen in 2011. Maybe if the SMiLE SESSIONS release is postponed again, Disney releases ITKOD for the 2011 christmas market featuring a better marketing campaign then Brian's previous solo albums. I don't know...
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: August 14, 2011, 10:08:54 AM »

I haven't liked Disney since Michial Eisner sold two of Mickey's fingers.

He left the most important finger of all, though...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 14, 2011, 08:00:48 PM »

It seems a significant oversight by Brian and everyone running his life for him that he should have two albums ready for release virtually simultaneously. If he was Radiohead of something then it might not make any difference as wealthy middle-classfans would just happily buy both.

I don't know what world you live in, but in my world, it's not that big of a deal to buy two albums, within the same month.  Sorry.  It's just not.
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: August 14, 2011, 09:41:26 PM »

I don't know what world you live in, but in my world, it's not that big of a deal to buy two albums, within the same month.  Sorry.  It's just not.

You miss the point.

One word: marketing.

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 15, 2011, 09:21:27 PM »

You miss the point.

One word: marketing.

No I didn't.  You even took a stab at "Middle Class fans" who would happily buy both if it were Radiohead.  You clearly were talking about financial matters.  Is $12 times 2, really that big of a deal for you?  Hell you're just going to download it anyways. 
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 18, 2011, 05:59:00 AM »

Yap. Guys, it's gonna be great.

I really don't get what you guys are hearing. I think one of the big problems with BW recordings these days (and back in 2004 for that matter) is in fact his vocal performance. He sounds kind of slurred, and not to mention heavily tuned at times. And this is the primary reason on why I rather would not see the Disney album be released (which it of course will be). Trying to make a new version of for instance 'When you wish upon a star' is in my opinion pointless. The original is so good both musically and vocally that I think a BW version per today would not go well with me. Brian anno 1966 on the other hand, I can only imagine being close to perfect.

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 35 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx