gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:08:39 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 35 Go Down Print
Author Topic: In The Key Of Disney  (Read 134524 times)
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 08, 2011, 06:59:46 PM »

Saw this posted on Brian's message board:

http://www.directcurrentmusic.com/dc-music-news-feed/2011/8/8/brian-wilsons-in-the-key-of-disney-due-1011.html

Anyone able to confirm?
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 07:39:57 PM »

you sly dog...

bring on October!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 07:51:37 PM »

This website is our only source of info for both releases...hmmm...

Hope they are right, could be a great month

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 07:53:15 PM »

That's a nice name for the album....Sounds legit anyways.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 08:25:01 PM »

I agree about the album name. Hope Brian doesn't wind up competing with himself.... maybe the sales of the Smile Sessions will spur sales of the other.

TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 09:24:03 PM »

I agree about the album name. Hope Brian doesn't wind up competing with himself.... maybe the sales of the Smile Sessions will spur sales of the other.
It's a terrific title for the album, and who knows the proximity of both releases may help the Disney album's sales: "Well, you've heard the brilliance of the Smile sessions, here's proof Brian's still got it!" I'm very excited for the release of this...

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 09:53:57 PM »

Once again, Direct Current Music has their finger on the pulse for release dates. 

Not so sure if early sales of the Disney album will be affected by 'piggy-backing' it on the SMiLE release, but....

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 10:13:02 PM »

I'm just curious as to what Disney songs will be appearing on the album.  Someone on here suggested that tune from Bambi; which I would agree could turn into a killer SMiLE-esque Brian Wilson track.  But methinks this one probably didn't make the cut.  :-(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJZnIHwzvzM
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 10:14:04 PM by Awesoman » Logged

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
MBE
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 10:19:22 PM »

I just can't get excited about this one.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 10:45:39 PM »

Yeah I'm not really all that crazy about it either.  I never really could get into the Gershwin album either.  Some nice moments here and there but overall this is mostly an exercise in schmaltz more than anything else.  I can't imagine the Disney album being much better. 

MBE
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 10:57:35 PM »

Yeah I'm not really all that crazy about it either.  I never really could get into the Gershwin album either.  Some nice moments here and there but overall this is mostly an exercise in schmaltz more than anything else.  I can't imagine the Disney album being much better. 

Yeah it wasn't a bad album but it's not my kind of music. Also compare how Brian did Summertime with Sharon Marie. He was so much more inventive and original in 1964. Now it's not that he is a boring artist, but he tries to hard to sound like "Brian Wilson". At this point as a solo artist all I would truly want to hear is new originals.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 11:00:21 PM »

Aside from the fact that this is the same site that said TSS was going to be released July 12th... no, August 9th... wait, August 23rd... oops, make that October 4th (which I also seriously doubt), color me sceptical. Two albums out (no matter how different) by the same artist at the same time on different labels ? Not good planning.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 11:39:41 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2011, 11:01:11 PM »

Yeah it wasn't a bad album but it's not my kind of music. Also compare how Brian did Summertime with Sharon Marie. He was so much more inventive and original in 1964. Now it's not that he is a boring artist, but he tries to hard to sound like "Brian Wilson". At this point as a solo artist all I would truly want to hear is new originals.

Agreed.  What was *really* disappointing for me was "I Got Rhythm".  Way too ham-fisted and forced with the Brian Wilson sound; actually sounds pedestrian!  And it pales considerably to the Happenings' truly most happenin' version of this song from the 1960's.  

ghost
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2011, 11:27:06 PM »

I'm thinking this will make a nice companion disc to Reimagines Gershwin.
MBE
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2011, 11:51:40 PM »

Agreed.  What was *really* disappointing for me was "I Got Rhythm".  Way too ham-fisted and forced with the Brian Wilson sound; actually sounds pedestrian!  And it pales considerably to the Happenings' truly most happenin' version of this song from the 1960's.  
My finacee liked BWPS and TLOS a lot, but she though BWRG was imitation Beach Boys. It has moments (it's better then his ninties non Paley work) I like, but it really drove home to me that Brian is no longer doing anything different than he has done before. Some of the 1976-80 covers were pretty bad, but at least they were quirky and once in a whole they even brought new things to a song. Don't get me wrong, I think Brian's band is an excellent Beach Boys sound alike group, but only on the new stuff do they go beyond that. For me that includes Smile as much as I enjoy it, it's not anything "new" and it doesn't have the heart The Beach Boys gave it. He put aside a personal demon (or so the publc copy says) but once the Beach Boys set appears I can't image anyone wanting the 2004 version except for fans with an interest in Brian's story. That said TLOS is the one Brian solo album to me that really holds up completely now.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2011, 11:52:57 PM »

I loved BWRG, so did the kids my Dad my whole family!

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2011, 12:11:43 AM »

I like BWRG and strongly prefer it to TLOS.

I have no idea if the Disney album will really drop on October 11 (or if TSS will see the light of day on Oct 4), but it's not a huge stretch to imagine Brian's people and Disney possibly trying to catch the wave of Smile publicity.  The reality is that if the Disney album arrives at basically the same time as TSS, many (if not most) of the reviews and articles about Smile will include a shout-out along the lines of "Oh, by the way, Brian also has a new CD of Disney songs."   A few publications might even do side-by-side reviews like they did when the IJWMFTT soundtrack and  "Orange Crate Art" came out a month or so apart in 1995.

Some of the songs that Brian recently mentioned recording for the Disney album include: When You Wish Upon A Star, Baby Mine (from Dumbo), A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes (from Cinderella) and Stay Awake (from Mary Poppins).

« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 12:13:42 AM by juggler » Logged
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2011, 12:27:08 AM »

For me that includes Smile as much as I enjoy it, it's not anything "new" and it doesn't have the heart The Beach Boys gave it. He put aside a personal demon (or so the publc copy says) but once the Beach Boys set appears I can't image anyone wanting the 2004 version except for fans with an interest in Brian's story.

Possibly, but I think many fans over-hyping this new release are forgetting one important factoid: the original SMiLE was never properly finished.  And depending on which "expert/insider/fanatic" you ask, it may have been far from completion.  It will prove to be an interesting release, but I won't be surprised if it fails to quench the thirst of Beach Boys fans so desperate for finality. 

At least with SMiLE '04 you get a complete thought. 

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2011, 12:37:37 AM »

Did anybody notice that whoever wrote the article seems to suggest that the album will be a Beach Boys recording? It's probably just a case of very poor writing, but...

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2011, 02:41:49 AM »

While initially impressed with BWRG, it didn't really have any staying power with me. I haven't heard it for months and have no current desire to. Also unless Brian's management have gone insane there's no way they will release the Disney album the same as the Smile Boxset.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2011, 02:49:13 AM »

I'm the opposite way with BWRG -  didn't warm to it at first but now pieces of music keep resurfacing in my mind, and I have to go play it all again…  there're some choice moments on that album, some snippets and moments of utter genius – though I don't know Gershwin's catalogue well enough to know whethr it's GG's or BW's!   (and does it matter…?)

“We live in divisive times.”
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2011, 03:17:24 AM »

Is Al Schmitt involved? I love his work on BWRG.

BWRG is my favourite BW solo album.
chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2011, 03:32:45 AM »

From this web page I've gleaned that Glen Campbell, Todd Rundgren and Ry Cooder all have new albums out soon, so it was worth looking!

I'm looking forward to the BW video for 'Bear Necessities'.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2011, 03:50:29 AM »

I love that title. Don't trust the website wrt release dates, though - It would appear in order to get the exclusive, it just prints rough estimates from internal release schedules.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2011, 06:51:23 AM »

This sounds like a good album to get your kids interested in Brian Wilson, so later on, you can make your kids Beach Boys fans to keep the legacy alive.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 35 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx