gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680747 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 01:43:23 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 35 Go Down Print
Author Topic: In The Key Of Disney  (Read 134983 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2011, 07:00:57 AM »

I am excited and can't wait to hear the album. Brian's best music always had that innocence feeling about it that might make a good connection with the Disney material. I love the Gershwin album and think Brian sounds great on it, so I hope that will be the case with this one too.

Since the album's been finished for a few months, I do wonder what Brian is recording recently....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
ghost
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2011, 07:13:02 AM »

I'm the opposite way with BWRG -  didn't warm to it at first but now pieces of music keep resurfacing in my mind, and I have to go play it all again…  there're some choice moments on that album, some snippets and moments of utter genius – though I don't know Gershwin's catalogue well enough to know whethr it's GG's or BW's!   (and does it matter…?)

I know right? Lots of nice little moment on that album that make it worthwhile. I think Brian has accepted his fate as puppet in the hands of people with more interest in him than he has for himself and he mostly just goes along with it. He didn't even know half the Gershwin songs before doing that album. The vocals aren't phoned in, they're all pretty damn good, but I can't help feeling that I'm hearing a "Brian's Band" album featuring Brian on guest vocals. Gershwin arranged like BW's records (there's even Busy Doin' Nothin on the album... S'Wonderful) but by imitators and not the real deal. Brian as we can see in H's thread must be the real deal because he conceived of music & recordings which are still being closely analyzed decades later. Will we be so curious about the Reimagines Gershwin sessions as the Pet Sounds sessions? Why not - Brian is there! Oh, could it be because we all know deep down that it's just not the same anymore? Impression I get of 60s BW is: will stop at nothing to get the sound he wants and show it to the world. Now - is it ready for my parts yet?

(that was one opinion, here is another)

Reimagines Gershwin is a cool album and we're all crazy for doubting it. Sure it takes every trick from the BW bag of tricks but that's what Brian is now - he doesn't break new ground because he already did. Now he's telling us - check out Someone To Watch Over Me - got a Pet Sounds vibe you dig it? Yeah everyone loved Pet Sounds and is always saying they could hear more like it, so I did it! Or S'Wonderful - hey everyone remember that funny little Busy Doin Nothin song I did on Friends? Well S'Wonderful is kind of like that, you might dig it. Does he have to bring fire into the studio yet again and perform black magick to be enjoyable to us? On the Gershwin album we have two new songs that are pretty good all things considered. I definitely see myself grooving to Nothing But Love for many years. Brian's band is tame, safe, sober - but they still make good sounding albums with him.

I'll tell you what's timeless, nothing but love.

37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2011, 07:31:02 AM »

I have a feeling that this will delay The Smile Sessions even further than the still-to-be-officially-announced October 4 date in a move to spread out BW-related releases.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2011, 08:15:52 AM »

Can't wait for this. I'm a HUGE Disney fan.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2011, 08:23:06 AM »

I have a feeling that this will delay The Smile Sessions even further than the still-to-be-officially-announced October 4 date in a move to spread out BW-related releases.

I had exactly the same premonition, see the Smile Sessions Thread. The box just prior to Xmas? Could be. Or put on the backburner altogether? But they promised: this year...  Sad

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2011, 09:15:16 AM »

Aside from the fact that this is the same site that said TSS was going to be released July 12th... no, August 9th... wait, August 23rd... oops, make that October 4th (which I also seriously doubt), color me sceptical.

Direct Music is just going by what Capitol says. I read the July 12, August 9, October 4, and November 1 dates for the SMiLE release. But nothing's cast in stone until Capitol confirms it. Somehow, I trust this Disney date - the music is in the can and there's much less artwork and stuff to do for release.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 12:35:32 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2011, 09:21:33 AM »

I like BWRG and strongly prefer it to TLOS.

Wow. Just the opposite in my house. TLOS got a LOT of airplay while BWRG got maybe two weeks worth after release, and now it's collecting dust on the shelf.  BWPG never even made it to the car stereo.....

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2011, 10:31:38 AM »

BWRG remains a stunning, unexpected gem.

You just don't get BW vocals like that on an album in which he is uninterested or unengaged.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2011, 11:30:48 AM »

Disney is the devil, but there were some good movies with some good songs before he began to tae over the world.  Let's hope our boy has picked wisely and we don't get any latterday sh*t. Dave Digs Disney was okay, so there is hope.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2011, 11:32:43 AM »

No way Smilin Ed, we NEED Brian to cover this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSS5dEeMX64

You know how great this would be? Perfect opening song. Brian singing to the Wondermints.
ghost
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2011, 11:43:30 AM »

You're a spineless, pale
pathetic lot
And you haven't got a clue

Cheesy
seanmurd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2011, 11:56:06 AM »

Well, we can now start the "Brian's Disney Album Killed The SMiLE Box" conspiracy theories -- TSS has been bumped to November 1st. From an email I received from Dave Curtis at Direct Current Music just an hour ago:

Hey Sean --

I just got the new EMI schedule and The Smile Sessions have been bumped AGAIN.

New street is November 1.

10/04/11   11/01/11   BEACH BOYS, THE   SMILE SESSIONS, THE (2 CD)
10/04/11   11/01/11   BEACH BOYS, THE   SMILE SESSIONS, THE (BOX SET)
10/04/11   11/01/11   BEACH BOYS, THE   SMILE SESSIONS, THE (VINYL)

---------------------------
Sean Murdock
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2011, 12:01:10 PM »

Blimey...if that is accurate let us just hope some missing tapes/acetates have been uncovered!

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2011, 12:07:08 PM »

Bummer - there goes my birthday present.

That Dave is pretty decent keeping you in the loop though.

Bummer.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2011, 12:09:50 PM »

Well, we can now start the "Brian's Disney Album Killed The SMiLE Box" conspiracy theories -- TSS has been bumped to November 1st. From an email I received from Dave Curtis at Direct Current Music just an hour ago:

Hey Sean --

I just got the new EMI schedule and The Smile Sessions have been bumped AGAIN.

New street is November 1.

10/04/11   11/01/11   BEACH BOYS, THE   SMILE SESSIONS, THE (2 CD)
10/04/11   11/01/11   BEACH BOYS, THE   SMILE SESSIONS, THE (BOX SET)
10/04/11   11/01/11   BEACH BOYS, THE   SMILE SESSIONS, THE (VINYL)

Well, I guess that finally kills any vestiges of hope that they might rush to meet the 9/30 Grammy deadline.   Sad

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2011, 12:12:29 PM »

Blimey...if that is accurate let us just hope some missing tapes/acetates have been uncovered!

I'm almost 100% sure that WON'T be the reason for the bump, but we can dream.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2011, 12:16:28 PM »

Wasn't Gettin in Over My Head released around the same time as some "other " album?  This sounds lika a repeat.

I haven't liked Disney since Michial Eisner sold two of Mickey's fingers.

Brian at his age doing this stuff reminds me of Maurice Chevrolet doing Thank Heavens for Little Girls on the Ed Sullivan Show.   I didn't like the concept too begin with.    We'll see. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
seanmurd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2011, 12:23:44 PM »

The news about the SMiLE date change has been broken on the website -- here:

http://www.directcurrentmusic.com/dc-music-news-feed/2011/8/9/the-beach-boys-smile-sessions-bumped-again-to-november-1.html

On topic: There's also an article about the Disney album on the site.

Sean Murdock
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2011, 12:28:45 PM »

All this bumping of the release date is just tactic. Everyone knows about the legend and how many times it would be released "soon". Capitol is just playing with us, so that the legend continues for a few months and gets people's attention that way. That means more $$   In fact, if it really was like that, I think it's kinda clever

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2011, 12:28:51 PM »

Angry Angry Angry

Cry

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
GoodToMyBaby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2011, 12:51:05 PM »

Let's not forget that no date has EVER been officially announced by Capitol.  So how can the date truly be bumped.

seanmurd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2011, 12:56:56 PM »

Let's not forget that no date has EVER been officially announced by Capitol.  So how can the date truly be bumped.

Excellent point, and one I've made many times. These release schedules that are quoted by the DC website are internal documents, not press releases. So for Phil and whoever else is fuming right now, remember: Capitol has never announced a release date, so at this point NOTHING has been "delayed" or "bumped." If still unreleased, The Smile Sessions will officially be "delayed" on January 1, 2012, and not a day sooner.

Sean Murdock
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2011, 06:22:32 PM »

What about that end of the world thing in 2012?   Are we going to beat that with a release date?
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2011, 06:26:50 PM »

What about that end of the world thing in 2012?   Are we going to beat that with a release date?

Release date = end of world.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2011, 07:55:12 PM »

All this bumping of the release date is just tactic. Everyone knows about the legend and how many times it would be released "soon". Capitol is just playing with us, so that the legend continues for a few months and gets people's attention that way. That means more $$   In fact, if it really was like that, I think it's kinda clever

I don't see it. The non-aficionados don't really care, and aren't tracking this release and haven't really been thinking about it since the week of the announcement. So really this "strategy" is being aimed at us, the fandom and the record collecting fanatics. And all that's happening as a result is just argument and frustration. This hurts the release more than anything else, we don't need to be reminded that this album has been long delayed, we all got that point long ago.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 35 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx