gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681066 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 20, 2024, 03:06:10 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Post Release MIC Track Discussion  (Read 116066 times)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: August 26, 2013, 11:50:01 PM »

I love all of the "new" vocals on Soul Searchin'. Are they 1996 vintage? I'm really glad that this and Still A Mystery were included. I wish they had kept the original lead vocal, but this new one is nicely done. I was reminded just how good these two songs were. Can you imagine these two songs, plus Getting In Over My Head, with some nicely done Carl-Al-Mike overdubs a la God Only Knows, would have sounded as part of a Beach Boys album back in 1996? Even though there aren't any other Beach Boys on it, I think I would have included the early version of GIOMH just because Brian's lead is so awesome on it.

Is it just me, or does the version of You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling have bottom end completely drop out after the bridge("I'll get down my knees for you" etc)? I kept feeling like my ears had popped.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 27, 2013, 01:15:23 AM »

The click is the sound of the NR kicking in.
If you're listening on good speakers you should be able to hear it.

Thank you, but which second is it?
1:01-1:02

A discipline daddy.
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 27, 2013, 01:33:05 AM »

Is it just me, or does the version of You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling have bottom end completely drop out after the bridge("I'll get down my knees for you" etc)? I kept feeling like my ears had popped.

I had that happen to me on my first listening but it was later corrected.

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: August 27, 2013, 02:11:39 AM »

"Warmth Of The Sun" and "Fun, Fun, Fun" definitely now have stereo elements that were previously missing...stereo backing vocals for WOTS and stereo backing track for FFF.  Interesting that these new mixes aren't noted in the track listing.

I guess they found another session tape from Shut Down Vol. II (the session from New Years Day, 1964 specifically).  I'm still holding out for the tape for the single version of "Be True To Your School" to be discovered some day.
Sunflowerpet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 27, 2013, 02:16:27 AM »

Doesn't keyboard intro of "Barnayard Blues" sound very similar to piano chords of "Child Is The Father Of The Man"?
MBE
« Reply #155 on: August 27, 2013, 02:18:42 AM »

Mona Kana is much more blatantly Smile like from Dennis. I will listen again. Barnyard Blues is a nice little hidden gem.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 27, 2013, 02:50:37 AM »

The bigger problem is that the "Grand Coulee Dam" vocals are present in the second chorus on the 2011 mono. No idea how this even happened, but they still seem to be there on MIC if Spotify is using the right source for the track.

Could be wrong that they used the exact same mix with this error, we'll see. I was actually thinking they included the mono over the 20/20 stereo on the box to ensure a corrected mono mix was out there.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 02:58:56 AM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 27, 2013, 03:02:18 AM »

Barnyard Blues is cool too. I didn't expect two 1974 Dennis leads. I wonder who is with him on Barnyard Blues?
[/b]

According to Alan Boyd...Carl and Ricky.  Smiley

Nile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 27, 2013, 04:59:38 AM »

What happened to the "tape burst" on "Country Air"?
it's buried in there somewhere, but in mono it's oohhoo sooo present..
i am not happy with this..but vocals are wonderfull i must say!
MBE
« Reply #159 on: August 27, 2013, 05:04:30 AM »

Thanks, I couldn't place Ricky but it's obvious now.
MBE
« Reply #160 on: August 27, 2013, 05:15:49 AM »

You know what? It does kind of have that Smile vibe at the start.
SonicVolcano
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 27, 2013, 07:39:53 AM »

"Warmth Of The Sun" and "Fun, Fun, Fun" definitely now have stereo elements that were previously missing...stereo backing vocals for WOTS and stereo backing track for FFF.  Interesting that these new mixes aren't noted in the track listing.

I guess they found another session tape from Shut Down Vol. II (the session from New Years Day, 1964 specifically).  I'm still holding out for the tape for the single version of "Be True To Your School" to be discovered some day.

Fun Fun Fun had horns? I didn't even know this. Amazing.
SonicVolcano
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 27, 2013, 07:58:07 AM »

Cabin Essence is a total mess, IMHO. What a horrible muddy sound.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #163 on: August 27, 2013, 08:05:02 AM »

Damn! That's annoying to hear. The TSS version drives me nuts - they really messed up the chorus. Didn't think it could've sounded any worse? The band got it absolutely spot-on back in 1969 for 20/20 - if it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 27, 2013, 08:31:23 AM »

God this oreo advertisement is annoying

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
The Dumb Angel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: August 27, 2013, 08:37:22 AM »

I was really excited for You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling. It's always been one of my favorite unreleased tracks, but I'm very dissapointed with it on the box set. It sounds too, I guess, over produced. Still, it's nice to hear the song in good quality.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 08:39:53 AM by TheDumbAngel » Logged
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 27, 2013, 08:38:59 AM »

Welp.  I couldn't wait to take delivery of the hard copy after work today so I bought the MP3 version off of Amazon last night at 2am.

I won't re-hash all the praise for the new stuff....I agree.  I will say that I really love the fact that they extended the heads and tails on many of the old faves.

Guess I will read the booklet tonight when my shipment arrives at home.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 27, 2013, 08:40:35 AM »

I was really excited for You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling. It's always been one of my favorite unreleased tracks, but I'm very dissapointed with it on the box set. It sounds too, I guess, over produced. Still, it's nice to hear the song in good quality.

There's too much echo on the vocal for my taste

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
The Dumb Angel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 27, 2013, 08:48:57 AM »

There's too much echo on the vocal for my taste
Uh-huh. I actually prefer the cruddy quality bootlegged version over the released version.   Undecided

Other than YLTLF, I'm really enjoying everything that I've heard so far. The '68 performances are incredible! They absolutly nailed Little Bird, and Friends.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 08:50:13 AM by TheDumbAngel » Logged
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 27, 2013, 08:55:01 AM »

Impressions so far - I like all the new mixes, which have done much to bring some of the sloppy originals up to scratch. I know, that comment will have many reaching for their knives, but can anyone really say the original Do It Again 'stereo' mix (if you can call it that) was a fine piece of mixing? Beautiful song, instrumentation and arrangement — *terrible* mix.

The booklet is beautifully done, and not the cheese-fest that the art for the GV box was.

One more observation for now — I really love the fact that the set brings out the Beach Boys' close and rewarding relationship with the art of the shuffle rhythm over the decades. It's not a form that the public immediately associates with the band, and even fans like us might have struggled to think of examples beyond California Girls until a couple of years ago. But then we got That's Why God Made The Radio and now, alongside TWGMTR, MiC brings out Why Don't They Let Us Fall in Love, Soul Searching, and Why, which might be my favourite track of the whole set so far. For the next ten minutes, anyway...
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: August 27, 2013, 09:08:43 AM »

The bigger problem is that the "Grand Coulee Dam" vocals are present in the second chorus on the 2011 mono. No idea how this even happened, but they still seem to be there on MIC if Spotify is using the right source for the track.

Could be wrong that they used the exact same mix with this error, we'll see. I was actually thinking they included the mono over the 20/20 stereo on the box to ensure a corrected mono mix was out there.

I'm told that they used actual Brian 1966 test mixes for the TSS version. So the "Grand Coulee Dam" vocals are in Brian's mix. For me it's not a problem, I only hear it when I listen very, very closely. I even think it's nice that the two chorusses aren't exactly the same.

And at 1:01-1:02 you mean that tiny little scratchy sound? Well, I listen to old LPs frequently, so I never noticed that slight bug, and won't in the future. Oh, and I always turn the treble down ab bit, which even reduces that.

The muddy sound is what I like most about this mix. Makes it sound contemporary and authentic. I wish Surf's Up would sound like that! AND be in mono. (Which the TSS version is, of course.) And Wonderful too! Grin

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 27, 2013, 09:21:30 AM »

Having heard a lot of the other unreleased stuff before, I went straight for disc 6.

Slip On Through vocals only is amazing.  Those guys were just geniuses at putting together vocal tracks.  Love hearing Mike's ribbon-miked bass vocals.  We're getting closer and closer to a full a capella Sunflower.

Another thought I had:  Don't Worry Baby, with the false start, it's pretty interesting how underwhelming and light the track is without the vocals.  I would love to just hear the full track without vocals.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 27, 2013, 10:08:31 AM »

Argh, post It's About Time the live tracks become awful. The Boxset Tour tunes are sung really poorly, Sail On Sailor is dominated by crappy synths.... Summer in Paradise is Summer In Paradise.

Listened to the first five discs on my proper stereo today - the mastering is great, big and bassy and the new stereo mixes rule. Very pleased with this!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 27, 2013, 10:49:16 AM »

I'll say this about "Rock & Roll Music"... yeah, the mix is nice, but almost too nice. Before, for example, I thought subtle drones in the chorus were in fact purely background vocals. Now, I know it's a combo of instruments and vocals. It's like a magician being forced to show you his tricks.

"Sail Plane Song" was a chance for the producers to show off, which is kinda odd, I thought. I doubt much of the mix is vintage.

And gosh darn, what's with all the added reverb on some of the songs? It's a bit extreme, so "wet", like Brian Wilson was secretly a dub reggae artist this whole time.

Otherwise, it's an excellent work.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 27, 2013, 11:02:44 AM »

And gosh darn, what's with all the added reverb on some of the songs? It's a bit extreme, so "wet", like Brian Wilson was secretly a dub reggae artist this whole time.

What do you mean, 'secretly'? Haven't you been paying attention?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 24 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx