gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681025 Posts in 27628 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 16, 2024, 05:21:51 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Post Release MIC Track Discussion  (Read 115997 times)
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: August 28, 2013, 01:34:56 PM »

Idinat what Brian told Hal?  Cheesy

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 28, 2013, 03:27:28 PM »

Just heard the new "It's OK" mix, albeit oin iPhone speakers so not the best listening experience. Sheds new light on the track – now I want to hear a totally stripped back vocals/handclaps only version!

“We live in divisive times.”
MBE
« Reply #227 on: August 28, 2013, 03:41:57 PM »

This isn't quite the Hot Mix of Rock and Roll Music. I miss the whooshing sound effects between verses, kind of vacuum like. Still this MIC mix is good.
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 28, 2013, 03:58:03 PM »

Anyone who easily has his/her fun spoiled by people who aren't very enthusiastic, please skip my post :D

Halfway through CD 1 now and I'm not impressed.

The master is sooo freaking loud, on half of the sounds every 'S' sound or snare hit the sound just distorts. It sounds like playing music with the pre-amp way too loud.  Also the stereo imaging is very wide.

The mix of Little Saint Nick is the worst I've heard so far. The sleighbells sound horrible.

I'm at track 26 now and my ears are getting tired from listening to the compression. It feels like i've been wearing headphones for hours.

It calms down a bit after the first disc, which is good, because if it didn't, I'd never listen to the set.

A discipline daddy.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 28, 2013, 04:20:06 PM »

I found the mastering to be very well done - I was listening to the CDs on a good system, but yeah. The only thing that struck me was the loud bass on the 65 and onwards cuts.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 28, 2013, 04:33:43 PM »

Certain tracks have audible compression and phasing, which is disappointing. It'd have been cool to hear all original mono to '68, then have it open up to stereo. Then add the first-time stereo tracks as a bonus.

Watch out for snakes!
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 28, 2013, 04:41:06 PM »

"Sail On Sailor" certainly takes on a poignancy with Carl singing it.  Especially with the line "Stop the crying and the lying
and the sighing and my dying..." and knowing his condition at that time, my heart just sunk.  RIP Carl  Cry

anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 28, 2013, 04:43:32 PM »

I love "Where Is She", but it's pretty indebeted to "She's Leaving Home", isn't it?
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 28, 2013, 05:05:17 PM »

I love "Where Is She", but it's pretty indebeted to "She's Leaving Home", isn't it?

No.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 28, 2013, 05:36:27 PM »

Have to agree with that. Brian lifted the melody line with the lyrics "She's leaving home after living alone for so many years" and built a song around it. Kind of interesting. Sort of like the breakdown in "Girl Don't Tell Me" aping "Ticket To Ride".

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 28, 2013, 05:56:27 PM »

Have to agree with that. Brian lifted the melody line with the lyrics "She's leaving home after living alone for so many years" and built a song around it. Kind of interesting. Sort of like the breakdown in "Girl Don't Tell Me" aping "Ticket To Ride".

Yeah, it's somewhat like "She's Leaving Home", but so what? Brian made "Where Is She?" into his own thing and it's marvelous. Plus, he's good at taking other people's stuff and making it pretty incredible. "Surfin' U.S.A." anybody?
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: August 28, 2013, 07:14:47 PM »

It's a melodic similarity in one section. Doesn't really warrant the assumption of Brian building the song around another. They're both very much their own songs, I'd hardly say it's "indebted" to the Beatles song.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 28, 2013, 07:19:45 PM »

I never said it was bad. I pointed it out because it was interesting. There's nothing negative about doing it. Bob Dylan made a career out of it.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #238 on: August 28, 2013, 08:05:08 PM »

It's a melodic similarity in one section. Doesn't really warrant the assumption of Brian building the song around another. They're both very much their own songs, I'd hardly say it's "indebted" to the Beatles song.

Yeah, it's like the same four notes on an ascending line, that's it, that's where the musical similarities end.  There may be a lyrical similarity, in that both songs are about girls who have left, either permanently or temporarily, but that's really it. 
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 28, 2013, 08:09:47 PM »

"When I Grow Up (To Be A Man)" here is listed as "2012 stereo mix" but it's not at all the same as the one on last year's mono/stereo 2-fer.

Cool Guy
Vegetable Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: August 28, 2013, 08:44:09 PM »

This set is great. I love just about everything. "Sherry She Needs Me" is wonderful. I'd never really listened to it carefully before, but that won't be the case anymore. "I Believe In Miracles" is mesmerizing. I could listen to it forever. All of the demo's ("Be With Me", "California Feelin'", "Surfin'", etc) are great. There isn't anything about WIBNTLA and "Where Is She?" that hasn't been said, so I'll just say they're very good. The remixes are good too ("Susie Cincinnati", "Do It Again") are just as good as the unreleased stuff. Everything is good, but that's where I'll stop for now. Great stuff indeed.

BTW, is Good Vibrations: 30 Years of The Beach Boys no longer on iTunes? I'm assuming that MiC has replaced it, because I couldn't find it earlier this evening.

"I've never written one note or word of music simply because I think it will make money"- Brian Wilson (1965)

"I like food"- Brian Wilson (1980)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: August 28, 2013, 09:02:05 PM »

Yeah, it's like the same four notes on an ascending line, that's it, that's where the musical similarities end.  There may be a lyrical similarity, in that both songs are about girls who have left, either permanently or temporarily, but that's really it. 

I dunno ... given all we know about BW idolizing the Beatles (and Paul specifically), and given the fact that about half of the folks on this board made the connection upon hearing the song, I don't think it's a stretch at all to say that Brian's song owes a debt to Paul's. After all, lots of songs are written by rewriting old ones; it's a time-honored trick of the trade, and it sounds like Brian started fiddling around with a phrase or two from the earlier tune and expanded it into this.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: August 28, 2013, 09:17:41 PM »

It's a very facile comparison.  I've noticed that people like to do this.  Two songs might share a meter and a couple of the same notes in a similar sequence, and people want to compare them, but I agree with C-man.  Just cuz they're both in triple meter and have six notes in common in their melodies does not really make them that much alike.  Certainly nothing more than a passing intersection.
Smile4ever
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: August 28, 2013, 09:56:04 PM »

I was never a huge fan of the Beach Boys rendition of this song (or the approach of "15 Big Ones" in general), but I liked the updated mix of "Rock n Roll Music." It seemed to add more life to the song.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: August 28, 2013, 10:32:45 PM »

It's a very facile comparison.  I've noticed that people like to do this.  Two songs might share a meter and a couple of the same notes in a similar sequence, and people want to compare them, but I agree with C-man.  Just cuz they're both in triple meter and have six notes in common in their melodies does not really make them that much alike.  Certainly nothing more than a passing intersection.

Facile or no, the folks here aren't the only ones who'll make the link. Played the tune for my partner the other day (she's not a fan but aPpreciates their better stuff) hopin to impress her - she just muttered "rip-off of She's Leaving Home…". Very unexpected…

“We live in divisive times.”
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: August 28, 2013, 11:03:23 PM »

y people gotta Beatles-sh*t all over everything Cry

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #246 on: August 28, 2013, 11:14:00 PM »

Facile or no, the folks here aren't the only ones who'll make the link. Played the tune for my partner the other day (she's not a fan but aPpreciates their better stuff) hopin to impress her - she just muttered "rip-off of She's Leaving Home…". Very unexpected…

My daughter pointed it out today! She took it as being a shout-out, for what it's worth.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #247 on: August 28, 2013, 11:39:42 PM »

Brian probably wrote the song in '66 and Paul stole it off him

Like I said to Paul when I met him at the Smile premier in '04 "You're here to steal the rest of it, knobhead?"

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #248 on: August 28, 2013, 11:49:21 PM »

Supposedly this 'alternate mix' of It's Ok is the 1974 version track-wise and the backups may be of similar vintage. I dunno.

R&R Music...wow. Was this the 'Brian mix' of the song that Carl supposedly vetoed? The falsetto part shows that there really wasn't much difference between Brian in 1974 and in 1976 as far as vocal quality, and that some of the gruffness was put-on.

Boo-Hiss to using auto-tune on 'Sherry She Needs Me'. And to my ears YLTLF sounds a lot like my treatment of it. Just saying.

Finally great to hear Carl in the RIGHT DAMN SPEED on 'It's Over Now'. It's funny, but that happened to a LOT of his vocals of this period ('Everybody Wants To Live Just Once' is another good example)

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: August 29, 2013, 12:02:18 AM »

No.

Yes.

- The Beach Boys released the only good thing he ever did when the Beatles made all of their other songs suck with Rubber Soul (it's okay, but overrated. worst Beatles album>Pet Sounds)
- Hearing the greatest track to ever be released in the history of music a.k.a. Strawberry Fields Forever drove their leader crazy.
- Brian Jones started writing Smile to beat Sgt. Pepper but junked it and went to bed for 40 years when John Lennon phoned him from England and said "I'm better than you"

Read between the lines dungbrain. It makes perfect sense that when in bed Brian would grow jealous/obsessed with the amazingness of the Beatles which would make him want to try rip off their work to save his band who after 1966 sold a grand total of four records worldwide. Get a music education, idiot.

Look, I'm going to go masturbate to side two of Yellow Submarine but you can email me at xXtHE-be4tleS.inVent3d.r0ck'n'RoLLxx@hotmail.com if you have any questions/think I'm wrong (lol as if)

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 24 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx