gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681070 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 20, 2024, 09:22:41 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 151 152 153 [154] 155 156 157 158 159 ... 166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album info (as it rolls out...)  (Read 1067395 times)
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3825 on: June 01, 2012, 01:19:37 PM »

"Waves of Love" sounds damn good nestled between "Shelter" and "Daybreak".

which version?

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3826 on: June 01, 2012, 01:29:12 PM »

this album is way too short.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3827 on: June 01, 2012, 02:52:37 PM »

Assuming you found the leak?  Grin

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3828 on: June 01, 2012, 03:00:28 PM »

One thing that annoys me, why do the BB have to include these "tropical" elements like in "Daybreak Over the Ocean"? Here's a big misunderstanding I think. When the group started out and sang about the fun-in-the-sun stuff it wasn't about taking a f*cking vacation on a tropical island. On the contrary, what probably still makes their early stuff so incredibly appealing is the idea that they were living the life they sang about 365 days a year, not just when their bosses and wives would allow them to. Huge difference!

Oh, by the way, I think "Strange World" is pretty underrated around here. Very charming little song (and very Brian imho!).

I can agree with some of this.  The modern day (on this album) tropical vibe they have is slightly off mark.  I listened to "Spring Vacation" again this morning.  I've narrowed it down to specifically the title and chorus of the song.... the verse is fine, even the "Easy Money" part of the chorus is fine, but the whole "Spring Vacation/Good Vibrations" thing I just can't get with.  If they literally would change those two lines the song would be twice as good.  They don't take Spring Vacations.  They're all retired, there's nothing to vacate from.  The good vibrations thing as mentioned ad naseum is just so overdone, even I, the king of beach boys apologists can't get behind that sh*t.  

Even if it was called SUMMER VACATION it would make more sense.  It's just the whole 'lets act like we're 16' thing ruins it, spring vacation specifically calls to mind people getting out of school and going to the beach on spring vacation before they have to be back in school.  

"Summer Vacation/The Ocean's Waiting/Warmer Weather/We're Back Together"

"Easy Money/Ain't Life Funny/Hey What's It To Ya/Hallelujia"

Not bad.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3829 on: June 01, 2012, 03:03:16 PM »

I really like Daybreak. It's very (as Brian would put it) mellow. The lyrics are great - Mike should be writing more like that and less of the "good vibrations/summer weather" stuff. I also think that track contains his best vocal of the album (even though it was recorded much earlier than the other ones).

I respectfully disagree, I much prefer his vocal on Isn't it Time... and I do agree the lyrics are pretty good, I think his performance and even the whole vibe of the song is kind of boring/dreary though.  They probably could have made it sound better with something as simple as a different instrument being used or something, it's just a very boring song in my opinion (daybreak over the ocean). 
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3830 on: June 01, 2012, 03:08:44 PM »

One thing that annoys me, why do the BB have to include these "tropical" elements like in "Daybreak Over the Ocean"? Here's a big misunderstanding I think. When the group started out and sang about the fun-in-the-sun stuff it wasn't about taking a f*cking vacation on a tropical island. On the contrary, what probably still makes their early stuff so incredibly appealing is the idea that they were living the life they sang about 365 days a year, not just when their bosses and wives would allow them to. Huge difference!

Oh, by the way, I think "Strange World" is pretty underrated around here. Very charming little song (and very Brian imho!).

I can agree with some of this.  The modern day (on this album) tropical vibe they have is slightly off mark.  I listened to "Spring Vacation" again this morning.  I've narrowed it down to specifically the title and chorus of the song.... the verse is fine, even the "Easy Money" part of the chorus is fine, but the whole "Spring Vacation/Good Vibrations" thing I just can't get with.  If they literally would change those two lines the song would be twice as good.  They don't take Spring Vacations.  They're all retired, there's nothing to vacate from.  The good vibrations thing as mentioned ad naseum is just so overdone, even I, the king of beach boys apologists can't get behind that sh*t.  

Even if it was called SUMMER VACATION it would make more sense.  It's just the whole 'lets act like we're 16' thing ruins it, spring vacation specifically calls to mind people getting out of school and going to the beach on spring vacation before they have to be back in school.  

"Summer Vacation/The Ocean's Waiting/Warmer Weather/We're Back Together"

"Easy Money/Ain't Life Funny/Hey What's It To Ya/Hallelujia"

Not bad.

Not bad at all! Sing it to yourself! It works great!

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3831 on: June 01, 2012, 03:20:56 PM »

TLOS, Gershwin, Disney, Imagination....are all between 35 and 39 minutes.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Sea Devil
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3832 on: June 01, 2012, 03:23:55 PM »

What the gash is that whistling about in FTTBA?
It's either heavily auto tuned, or is a synth made to sound like whistling.. sounds cheap.
Absolutely adore the song though, best on the album by a mile!

Still Lurkin'
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3833 on: June 01, 2012, 03:26:59 PM »

Imagination always seemed way too long to me!

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3834 on: June 01, 2012, 03:33:40 PM »

Part of me wants to say it's too short too, but like pointed out the trend is kind of to make albums short (again).   I think the current length is about what it would have been (or maybe longer?) in the 60's.  The 80 minute opuses of the 90's have left the building, almost everybody makes short albums now.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3835 on: June 01, 2012, 04:24:17 PM »

What the gash is that whistling about in FTTBA?
It's either heavily auto tuned, or is a synth made to sound like whistling.. sounds cheap.
Absolutely adore the song though, best on the album by a mile!

It's not a synth, it's Al Jardine

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3836 on: June 01, 2012, 05:28:54 PM »

I'm diggin' it but still, for me the very last and amazing Beach Boys album will always be TLOS (even tho it isn't).... until Brian does better or something more ambitious with the actual Beach Boys, we'll see.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3837 on: June 01, 2012, 05:46:47 PM »

I'm diggin' it but still, for me the very last and amazing Beach Boys album will always be TLOS (even tho it isn't).... until Brian does better or something more ambitious with the actual Beach Boys, we'll see.

As said here, the likelihood that the Boys would have had anything to do with a project like TLOS is infinitesimal. Too strange. Too arty. Mike wouldn't have allowed the Parks parts. Not enough summery themes.

I choose to think of TLOS as Brian's best solo album. Because that's what it is. And if this new project has shown us anything, it's that Brian has come to think of the Boys and of his solo career as distinctly different things. Think about it -- as he was promoting the Gershwin record, and recording and promoting the Disney one he was meeting with Capitol on this separate project.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 05:52:36 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3838 on: June 01, 2012, 05:49:53 PM »

Good points.  Still, I'm naieve enough to think that it's entirely possible they may drag ol' Mikie along for one more really nice ride. 

BTW, here, just to throw the bait out.  Joe Thomas said "3 album deal".  As you're pointing out, Brian seems to be capable of juggling several things in the air at once, perhaps this album was to appease Mike and Brian has something more 'artsy' planned for the third album?  (second album possibly being a live album). 

I know.  Wishful thinking.  Still. 
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3839 on: June 01, 2012, 05:53:00 PM »

Good points.  Still, I'm naieve enough to think that it's entirely possible they may drag ol' Mikie along for one more really nice ride. 

BTW, here, just to throw the bait out.  Joe Thomas said "3 album deal".  As you're pointing out, Brian seems to be capable of juggling several things in the air at once, perhaps this album was to appease Mike and Brian has something more 'artsy' planned for the third album?  (second album possibly being a live album). 

I know.  Wishful thinking.  Still. 

I believe the three-album deal was this one, the hits compilation, and the new boxed set.
keysarsoze001
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3840 on: June 01, 2012, 06:11:00 PM »

Every Beach Boys and BW solo album other than SMiLE and OCA has been shorter than 42 minutes, as far as I know. Brian still thinks in terms of LPs, which were only able to fit maybe 45 minutes at the absolute most in the 60s. Right down to how he sequences the albums, I've long held the opinion that he thinks in terms of a Side 1 and a Side 2. Consider how "California Role" has an actual ending instead of crossfading directly into the next track or narrative. Even SMiLE probably shouldn't have been as long as it was. I highly doubt Brian would have sequenced it to be a 3-sided album, and he probably wouldn't have done a double-LP. Hell, I'd say we count ourselves lucky it isn't the length of Wild Honey, which is less than 30 minutes!
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3841 on: June 01, 2012, 06:23:40 PM »

which version?

The CD version.

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3842 on: June 01, 2012, 06:24:02 PM »

I can't help but think the line "Drivin' down Pacific Coast out on Highway One, the setting sun/Goodbye" is a euphemism for death.

I think you mean a metaphor.

I metaphor sex, but she told me no. Sad

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3843 on: June 01, 2012, 06:29:09 PM »

Every Beach Boys and BW solo album other than SMiLE and OCA has been shorter than 42 minutes, as far as I know. Brian still thinks in terms of LPs, which were only able to fit maybe 45 minutes at the absolute most in the 60s. Right down to how he sequences the albums, I've long held the opinion that he thinks in terms of a Side 1 and a Side 2. Consider how "California Role" has an actual ending instead of crossfading directly into the next track or narrative. Even SMiLE probably shouldn't have been as long as it was. I highly doubt Brian would have sequenced it to be a 3-sided album, and he probably wouldn't have done a double-LP. Hell, I'd say we count ourselves lucky it isn't the length of Wild Honey, which is less than 30 minutes!

GIOMH is 53 minutes.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3844 on: June 01, 2012, 07:45:55 PM »

And to be honest, it suffers for it. 
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3845 on: June 01, 2012, 07:59:35 PM »

You didn't hear me saying it was the best 53 minutes of anyone's life. Well, maybe Stevie Kalinich's.
bsten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3846 on: June 01, 2012, 08:00:16 PM »

Is the Daybreak version on the new album different from the 95 ML version? I happen to have a copy (hhhrrmm) of the 95 version, and from what I heard on Itunes, they sound the same...

/B
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #3847 on: June 01, 2012, 08:02:04 PM »

TPLOBAS would make for a really great music video. Shame it will never happen

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3848 on: June 01, 2012, 08:13:25 PM »

You didn't hear me saying it was the best 53 minutes of anyone's life. Well, maybe Stevie Kalinich's.

I know, just sayin'.  It is a bit long.  Especially when the songs are sub par, you wonder why they went through so much trouble when they had to have known they could drop 4 or 5 songs off the album and it'd probably improve it, lol. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3849 on: June 01, 2012, 08:14:25 PM »

TPLOBAS would make for a really great music video. Shame it will never happen

I don't really get into that song too much, but you're right, a video would help.  I can see Brian sitting at a table for some reason when he starts singing it, I don't know what that's all about. 
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 151 152 153 [154] 155 156 157 158 159 ... 166 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx