gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680984 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 12, 2024, 12:28:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Byrds  (Read 30295 times)
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 03, 2012, 03:02:08 AM »

Sweetheart of the Rodeo is what made me interested in gram parsons and country music. Smiley but to be honest besides The Byrds,Flying Burrito Brothers and Rolling Stones I'm sure I won't tap into any more country music.(not even The Eagles)

The artists Gram Parsons covered (for one, the absolutely amazing Louvin Brothers) are a good reader into decent country - part of what Gram was about was blurring those distinctions anyway, which is why on SOTH and the first Burritos album he covers soul tunes as country records - there's little difference between soul music and country music on a nuts and bolts level.
Although I knew you'd get into Sweetheart and Gram eventually  LOL What's your favourite Gram tune, btw?

As strange as it sounds the first Byrds album I heard was SOTR and well I been a fan since but since I knew Gram was a huge part of that and a huge influence on country music I had to give him a listen Smiley
My favorite album by him is The Gilded Palace of Sin and my favorite song is "Sin City", and yours?  Country music has a lot of beautiful/deep stories in the songs that really gets me into the songs..it can be very touching sometimes..
My parents are really into folk so after I'm done on my country quest I'm going to check that out too.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 03, 2012, 03:22:35 PM »

Sweetheart of the Rodeo is what made me interested in gram parsons and country music. Smiley but to be honest besides The Byrds,Flying Burrito Brothers and Rolling Stones I'm sure I won't tap into any more country music.(not even The Eagles)

Are you and I twins separated at birth?  LOL  I also love Sweetheart of the Rodeo and Gilded Palace.

Seriously, skip the Eagles -- they are "pop" not country -- and get Gram's 2 solo LP's, they are both sublime.  They are more "country" than the FBB.

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 03, 2012, 04:06:40 PM »

And, let us not forget, that the excellent "Sin City" and the equally excellent "Wheels" were co-written by Gram and Chris Hillman.

Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 03, 2012, 05:40:56 PM »

Are you and I twins separated at birth?  LOL  I also love Sweetheart of the Rodeo and Gilded Palace.

Seriously, skip the Eagles -- they are "pop" not country -- and get Gram's 2 solo LP's, they are both sublime.  They are more "country" than the FBB.

Smiley you have really really really great taste in music seriously!
well that's true plus their albums were mostly filler material aside from the huge hits..and i will i'm actually going to amoeba to buy his work..
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 04, 2012, 05:00:13 AM »

Yeah, his solo albums are incredible. My personal favourite is Grievous Angel, because any album that has $1000 Wedding on it is automatically better than a lot of albums.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 04, 2012, 10:16:42 AM »

The first two Eagles albums are VERY country and also very good.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 04, 2012, 08:02:11 PM »

Actually I have to agree.  I wonder if that's because Bernie Leadon is on the first two?

Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 04, 2012, 10:12:31 PM »

Am I the only one who wishes the band hadn't hired Parsons? Weren't they going to record a concept album that gave a complete overview of the history of music? Unfortunately without Crosby or Clark, they likely didn't have the song writing resources to pull off something so ambitious.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 04, 2012, 10:14:22 PM »

Am I the only one who wishes the band hadn't hired Parsons? Weren't they going to record a concept album that gave a complete overview of the history of music? Unfortunately without Crosby or Clark, they likely didn't have the song writing resources to pull off something so ambitious.
They made some of the best country music ever to come out and became even more innovative with Parsons there Smiley..
They changed their sound ..Sometimes I wish they stuck to the folk sound and sometimes i wish all they did was country music..I get confused when it comes to The Byrds lol
It's kind of how i am with The Who, I wish they still made songs like they did on their first 3 albums but then we wouldn't have Who's Next or Quadrophenia. So it's tough! Change isn't always bad lol
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 10:56:12 PM by Newguy562 » Logged
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 05, 2012, 02:10:39 PM »

Yes I believe that McGuinn said they were thinking of doing that. I like to think that it would have started out in the past sounding like Sweetheart and ended up in the future sounding like Notorious Byrd Brothers. The cover of Dr Byrds has the cowboys to spacemen theme. If Crosby had stayed in the band for another album it's tempting to think that another masterpiece was possible. As it is they peaked with NBB. Crosby went on to produce several masterworks. The Byrds didn't.
Uncomfortable Seat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 05, 2012, 02:45:36 PM »

100% agree, you can thank Glyn Johns for that.  He also produced Best Of My Love

"There's one thing I do that's kind of a personal thing -- I tell jokes sometimes which are corny, which are outright stupid, and bomb. That, to me, is funny when nobody laughs."
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 06, 2012, 01:06:34 AM »

Actually I have to agree.  I wonder if that's because Bernie Leadon is on the first two?

He was squeezed out of the picture by 'The Gods' early on, but intially Bernie was the most dominant musical force in The Eagles. He was also a member of Flying Burritos for those who didn't know.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 06, 2012, 03:58:38 AM »

But there's the very high possibility that that would have been terrible.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 21, 2012, 08:28:13 PM »

New Guy and others: Check this out:

Audio of The Byrds / Gram Parsons ''Hickory Wind'' ''Sing Me Back Home'' Roundhouse London July 6,1968.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ4uVOUQZO4

WOW

Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 21, 2012, 08:32:36 PM »

New Guy and others: Check this out:

Audio of The Byrds / Gram Parsons ''Hickory Wind'' ''Sing Me Back Home'' Roundhouse London July 6,1968.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ4uVOUQZO4

WOW
thanks you for this!!!  Grin I absolutely love his voice...he is the reason why I'm interested in country music now..man he was a talent wasn't he? it's such a shame he died so young! f*** f*** f***!!  Wall
JanBerryFarm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 21, 2012, 10:23:41 PM »

Really?

Let's see, and they WERE able to create the classic Notorious Byrd Brothers without Parsons, Crosby and Clark.

I guess McGuinn Hillman had a bit more writing resources than you thought?  Smokin

*just askin'*
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 12:22:51 AM by JanBerryFarm » Logged

~Hawaiian Shirts Are For Barneys~
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 21, 2012, 10:53:17 PM »

One more from the Roundhouse concert in May 1968:

The Byrds / Gram Parsons '' The Christian Life'', "Under Your Spell Again'' & "You Don't Miss Your Water'' Roundhouse,London July 6,1968

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeBgZWPo24A

Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 21, 2012, 11:46:04 PM »

Really?

Let's see, and they WERE able to create the classic Notorius Byrd Brothers without Parsons, Crosby and Clark.

I guess McGuinn Hillman had a bit more writing resources than you thought?  Smokin

*just askin'*

That album has contributions from Crosby and Clark though. I'm pretty sure Get To You (maybe my favorite one on the thing) was cowritten by Clark. I think The Byrds worked better in collaboration. Clark, Crosby, and Hillman at least all had genuine songwriting talent, but I think they were able to smooth out eachother's rough edges in their better moments.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
JanBerryFarm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 22, 2012, 12:15:13 AM »

Really?

Let's see, and they WERE able to create the classic Notorious Byrd Brothers without Parsons, Crosby and Clark.

I guess McGuinn Hillman had a bit more writing resources than you thought?  Smokin

*just askin'*

That album has contributions from Crosby and Clark though. I'm pretty sure Get To You (maybe my favorite one on the thing) was cowritten by Clark. I think The Byrds worked better in collaboration. Clark, Crosby, and Hillman at least all had genuine songwriting talent, but I think they were able to smooth out eachother's rough edges in their better moments.

Agreed, but minor contributions.

I don't feel that Gram Parsons joining the Byrds was a mistake, for anyone. We were all tremendously excited with Sweetheart of the Rodeo. Anyway, if he hadn't joined the Byrds, ultimately we'd never have had the Flying Burrito Brothers. And that would have been a great loss.

Don't you think so?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 12:22:28 AM by JanBerryFarm » Logged

~Hawaiian Shirts Are For Barneys~
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 01, 2012, 11:35:55 PM »

It's unbelievable that while Brian was recording Smile at Columbia and Sunset Sounds, The Byrds and Love were recording Younger Than Yesterday and Da Capo at those studies.
younger than yesterday might be their magnum opus Smiley might be the pet sounds of their catalog.

Nah, Notorious Byrd Brothers is better I think. It has a really immaculate flow.

I disagree with you there. As much as I love NBB, I think YTY is better. In my opinion it has both better songs and production. I feel NBB lacks a certain punch that you find on the former.

By the way, The Byrds is one if my favourite bands, but I really can't handle SOTR. I really want to, but most of it is just too country for my taste.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 11:40:18 PM by tansen » Logged

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 02, 2012, 12:03:08 AM »

It's unbelievable that while Brian was recording Smile at Columbia and Sunset Sounds, The Byrds and Love were recording Younger Than Yesterday and Da Capo at those studies.
younger than yesterday might be their magnum opus Smiley might be the pet sounds of their catalog.

Nah, Notorious Byrd Brothers is better I think. It has a really immaculate flow.

I disagree with you there. As much as I love NBB, I think YTY is better. In my opinion it has both better songs and production. I feel NBB lacks a certain punch that you find on the former.

By the way, The Byrds is one if my favourite bands, but I really can't handle SOTR. I really want to, but most of it is just too country for my taste.
At first I was just going to get everything before SOTR because I wasn't a fan of country but once I thoroughly listened to that album I became hooked..it's as good as country can get.
You have to be in a certain mood to like it..for me it was while I was going through problems with my chick and there were a few songs on there I could relate to and eventually I ended up loving the album as a whole so give it another spin. Eventually you might get the hang of it and it'll grow on you...Do you like anything by the Byrds Post-SOTR?
Now as far as Pre-SOTR goes I'd have to say this is my favorite song by The Byrds http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFAsHJ9Y8M4
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 12:06:02 AM by Newguy562 » Logged
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 02, 2012, 12:18:46 AM »

At first I was just going to get everything before SOTR because I wasn't a fan of country but once I thoroughly listened to that album I became hooked..it's as good as country can get.
You have to be in a certain mood to like it..for me it was while I was going through problems with my chick and there were a few songs on there I could relate to and eventually I ended up loving the album as a whole so give it another spin. Eventually you might get the hang of it and it'll grow on you...Do you like anything by the Byrds Post-SOTR?
Now as far as Pre-SOTR goes I'd have to say this is my favorite song by The Byrds http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFAsHJ9Y8M4

I certainly hope so - I mean, it is obviously critical acclaimed for a reason. Yeah I do, not as much as pre-SOTR obviously, but I think BOER and DRB&MRH has some good stuff, Untitled/Unissued is pretty cool. There are some nuggets here and there. I also like TFEOD&C better than SOTR too.

I think one of my favourite Byrds-songs must be "Have you seen her face?"
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 12:20:21 AM by tansen » Logged

Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 02, 2012, 12:30:53 AM »

I certainly hope so - I mean, it is obviously critical acclaimed for a reason. Yeah I do, not as much as pre-SOTR obviously, but I think BOER and DRB&MRH has some good stuff, Untitled/Unissued is pretty cool. There are some nuggets here and there. I also like TFEOD&C better than SOTR too.

I think one of my favourite Byrds-songs must be "Have you seen her face?"
Yes that's true just like the BB's have a few gems here and there Post-Pet Sounds..Maybe I favor SOTR because it's the first album I heard by The Byrds.(besides the their debut) At that time I loved a few of the songs but I wasn't to sure if I was going to even purchase it because it was a country album but I gave it another chance and and well I been a fan ever since. Smiley I'm very surprised I enjoy that album as much as I do, another thing that surprises me is that it's critically acclaimed the way it is but it's always refreshing to see I'm not the only one that notices the beauty of that piece of work.
Here's another one of my favorites check out the smoothness of this track....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IIWmmRvGUc
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 12:31:58 AM by Newguy562 » Logged
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 02, 2012, 12:55:46 AM »

I have to say that to me post-SOTR and post-PS are two very different things though. I mean, after Pet Sounds you got amazing stuff like Smile, Friends, Wild Honey, etc - some of it at times even surpasses PS in quality (IMO), but I can't say the same about post-SOTR. I get what you mean though, hopefully some day I will appreciate SOTR as much as early Byrds.

Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 02, 2012, 01:39:19 AM »

I have to say that to me post-SOTR and post-PS are two very different things though. I mean, after Pet Sounds you got amazing stuff like Smile, Friends, Wild Honey, etc - some of it at times even surpasses PS in quality (IMO), but I can't say the same about post-SOTR. I get what you mean though, hopefully some day I will appreciate SOTR as much as early Byrds.
Well I should really say Post Smile..Friends was an ok effort but wasn't great at all and very low quality(embarrassing at moments)...Wild Honey is a personal favorite by them but even I'll admit that it's definitely not an album I'd ever tell anyone to check out...it took me forever to accept and get into that album..
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx