gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 11:57:55 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Byrds  (Read 29973 times)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2012, 11:25:25 AM »

Or a quintuple homicide case waiting to happen  LOL

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2012, 12:00:23 PM »

Or a quintuple homicide case waiting to happen  LOL
David got into so many fights with the world. LOL
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 12:04:37 PM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2012, 04:10:11 PM »

I listen to the first Clark solo album quite a bit, there are some really good songs but I can't help but find it a little boring. I think Gary Usher is a huge part of why I like the Byrds, his production style and Roger's guitar playing are a match made in heaven and I really miss that.

Does anybody here like Dr. Byrds and Mr. Hyde? I think that album is pretty underrated, especially This Wheels on Fire and Bad Night at the Whiskey.
The Gary Usher productions are the greatest Byrds albums. After Sweetheart they died on record, though Untitled is a good, sometimes inspired effort. Notorious Byrd Brothers is in my top 5 albums of all time. Absolutely incredible album. If anyone on this site doesn't have it, treat yourself immediately!
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2012, 03:27:29 AM »

I listen to the first Clark solo album quite a bit, there are some really good songs but I can't help but find it a little boring. I think Gary Usher is a huge part of why I like the Byrds, his production style and Roger's guitar playing are a match made in heaven and I really miss that.

Does anybody here like Dr. Byrds and Mr. Hyde? I think that album is pretty underrated, especially This Wheels on Fire and Bad Night at the Whiskey.
The Gary Usher productions are the greatest Byrds albums. After Sweetheart they died on record, though Untitled is a good, sometimes inspired effort. Notorious Byrd Brothers is in my top 5 albums of all time. Absolutely incredible album. If anyone on this site doesn't have it, treat yourself immediately!

Thoughts and Words is an incredible production. I wish Usher had imported 'Glass' onto NBB, that's such an incredible song I hate that it's left to languish on such an esoteric album as Present Tense where it's always overlooked in favor of 'My World Fell Down'.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2012, 02:39:08 PM »

The first album I checked out by the Byrds was "Sweetheart of the Rodeo" and well i've been a fan ever since. Smiley I love their Folk/Country sound..Gram Parsons transformed them from this folk group to country Superstars.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2012, 09:11:26 AM »

The first album I checked out by the Byrds was "Sweetheart of the Rodeo" and well i've been a fan ever since. Smiley I love their Folk/Country sound..Gram Parsons transformed them from this folk group to country Superstars.

Yes, because Eight Miles High is such a folk song. A veritable This Land Is Your Land Part 2, yes, for sure.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2012, 10:18:47 AM »

Yes, because Eight Miles High is such a folk song. A veritable This Land Is Your Land Part 2, yes, for sure.

hardee hardee har har har

LOL

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2012, 12:18:50 PM »

Notorious Byrd Brothers, Younger Than Yesterday, Fifth Dimension - Folk??? Mr Tambourine Man and Turn Turn Turn, folk rock perhaps if such a thing ever existed. But folk Huh
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2012, 12:48:52 PM »

Notorious Byrd Brothers, Younger Than Yesterday, Fifth Dimension - Folk??? Mr Tambourine Man and Turn Turn Turn, folk rock perhaps if such a thing ever existed. But folk Huh
so they aren't folk rock? wow my ears have tricked me :/
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2012, 01:10:48 PM »

The first 2 albums could be classed as folk rock, if you think that phrase means anything beyond being a marketing tool. However from Fifth Dimension onwards there's no way their music could be called folk rock.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2012, 01:54:20 PM »

The first 2 albums could be classed as folk rock, if you think that phrase means anything beyond being a marketing tool. However from Fifth Dimension onwards there's no way their music could be called folk rock.
yes the first 2 albums then they kept switching genres Smiley ..i love it..they are considered one of the most influential groups of all time.
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2012, 04:28:00 PM »

And they all came straight out of the folk scene.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2012, 09:28:19 AM »

Happening place back in the day, that Sunset Strip...

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
MyGlove
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2012, 10:19:37 AM »

yes the first 2 albums then they kept switching genres Smiley ..i love it..they are considered one of the most influential groups of all time.
The Byrds are credited with doing the first psychadelic rock song. And thanks to Gene, also one of the first alternative country bands. They were quite varied, not just a "folk rock band"
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2012, 12:17:12 PM »

So many great songs:
Have You Seen Her Face
Bells of Rhymney
Chestnut Mare
Why
Lady Friend
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2012, 10:06:09 PM »

so i just left the music store and bought ballad of easy rider...dr. byrds & mr. hyde..and untitled Smiley ..well worth the $30 bucks!
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2012, 12:16:35 AM »

It's unbelievable that while Brian was recording Smile at Columbia and Sunset Sounds, The Byrds and Love were recording Younger Than Yesterday and Da Capo at those studies.

Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2012, 12:33:35 AM »

It's unbelievable that while Brian was recording Smile at Columbia and Sunset Sounds, The Byrds and Love were recording Younger Than Yesterday and Da Capo at those studies.
younger than yesterday might be their magnum opus Smiley might be the pet sounds of their catalog.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2012, 01:32:49 AM »

younger than yesterday might be their magnum opus Smiley might be the pet sounds of their catalog.

Nah, Notorious Byrd Brothers is better I think. It has a really immaculate flow.

Does anybody know exactly which studios certain albums were recorded at? I guess The Doors was recorded at Sunset Sounds during August, and Buffalo Springfield at Gold Star during the same month. Strange Days was done while Brian was working on Vega-Tables all the time in spring of '67.
Where were the Monkees albums done? RCA right? So they were recording Headquarters there during the SMiLE era.

What about a band like Strawberry Alarm Clock? They were probably recording their debut somewhere in LA during the SMiLE era.

Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2012, 01:40:01 AM »

Nah, Notorious Byrd Brothers is better I think. It has a really immaculate flow.

Does anybody know exactly which studios certain albums were recorded at? I guess The Doors was recorded at Sunset Sounds during August, and Buffalo Springfield at Gold Star during the same month. Strange Days was done while Brian was working on Vega-Tables all the time in spring of '67.
Where were the Monkees albums done? RCA right? So they were recording Headquarters there during the SMiLE era.

What about a band like Strawberry Alarm Clock? They were probably recording their debut somewhere in LA during the SMiLE era.
oops i had the titles mixed up i meant notorious byrd brothers Smiley
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2012, 02:31:52 AM »

The guitar work on NBB is really outstanding. Seriously, try and count the number of guitar parts on some of those songs. The finger picking part on the chorus of Goin' Back is absolutely spectacular. There's too much focus in popular music on outlandish solo spectacle when it comes to guitar playing. It's a shame because I think NBB is really one of, if not the best guitar albums ever.

Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2012, 03:12:18 AM »

Byrds documentary Smiley
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiMMrYlVCEg&feature=plcp
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2012, 03:26:34 AM »

No, no, no, no, no. f*** you.
I was just about to go to bed!!!

Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2012, 03:29:07 AM »

No, no, no, no, no. f*** you.
I was just about to go to bed!!!
lmao stay up and watch this..you can sleep when you're dead. lol
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2012, 05:17:40 AM »

The guitar work on NBB is really outstanding. Seriously, try and count the number of guitar parts on some of those songs. The finger picking part on the chorus of Goin' Back is absolutely spectacular. There's too much focus in popular music on outlandish solo spectacle when it comes to guitar playing. It's a shame because I think NBB is really one of, if not the best guitar albums ever.
Simply one of the best albums ever. Add Triad and Lady Friend and it is in SMiLE territory quality wise.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx