gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 09:37:30 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Byrds  (Read 29972 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 07, 2012, 01:09:54 PM »

Another group that is one of my favorites, I love the original lineup's albums and the live shows of the later group.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
MyGlove
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 01:31:02 PM »

The Notorious Byrd Brothers is a classic album. Sweetheart of the Rodeo is a fun album. In fact anything from Mr Tambourine Man-Sweetheart of the Rodeo is probably in my top so many albums of all time. But after that they kinda just died. Even Easy Rider, their supposed comeback, is very lacking from something the earlier albums had. I don't quite know what.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 01:37:24 PM »

Side one of Byrdmaniacs is pretty amazing though
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 01:39:30 PM »

The first two LPs are my favorite.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 01:46:42 PM »

The thing is with the Byrds that you can get lost checking out the myriad side projects - for the last few months, been listening mostly to Gene Clark's stuff. The two Dillard & Clark records are really great, as well as his solo stuff.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 02:02:10 PM »

I think I like Crosby better in the Byrds because his high voice was fresh and went so well with Roger's voice.

Uncomfortable Seat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 02:45:08 PM »

I prefer the Clarence White/Gene Parsons era

"There's one thing I do that's kind of a personal thing -- I tell jokes sometimes which are corny, which are outright stupid, and bomb. That, to me, is funny when nobody laughs."
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 02:48:38 PM »

You have excellent taste!

The Byrds were a great band w/ McGuinn/White/Gene Parsons/Skip Battin or John York.  The blending of McGuinn's 12 string with Clarence's fiery string bender, well, it's a wonder to hear even today.

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 02:58:36 PM »

By the way, back in the day, in Lincoln Nebraska in spring of 1971 I actually saw the Byrds in concert (McGuinn, White, Parsons, Battin) and who opened for them but the Flying Burrito Brothers.  (Rick Roberts had already replaced Gram Parsons.)  That was an incredible concert.  McGuinn did an acoustic version of Mr. Tambourine man and, to this day, I still remember the Burritos take on their song "Cody, Cody".  So nice!

P.S.

I am a "closet lover" of Byrdmaniax!  I love the gospel number "Glory, Glory"; McGuinn does an excellent song called "I Trust" and Clarence sings Jackson Browne's "Jamaica Say You Will"  Gorgeous!

bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 06:22:33 PM »

really interesting how Gene and Roger would double the lead vocal on a lot of the early stuff.

part of me thinks it was Roger's ego that prevented Gene from just singing his songs by himself, but a cool sound nonetheless.

I dig the early albums for Gene Clark mostly, and the later stuff for Clarence White... with Gram Parsons in between.

not a huge McGuinn or Crosby fan. I think Roger especially kept them stuck by doing so many Dylan covers and constantly playing the 12-string. meanwhile Crosby belittled Gene Clark's guitar playing and bullied him out of being the band's rhythm player. they were both jealous of Gene's prolific songwriting talents, and kept some really great Clark tunes off the early albums in favor of their own inferior and/or cover material.

the simple fact that "Feel A Whole Lot Better" wasn't a single is one of the worst decisions in rock history. what a song.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 06:39:25 PM »

Wolfgang's vault has some Roger/Gene acoustic shows from the 70's that are pretty damn amazing!
Paulos
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2012, 02:00:28 PM »

Can someone more musically inclined than I please explain/break down how the Byrds harmony blend worked?
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2012, 01:10:42 AM »

Think the Beach Boys, then subtract everybody except Al and Carl.  That's how their harmony worked Smiley

My favorite Byrds song is "Mr. Spaceman", I'm not an expert on their music but they always had such a strange sound.  They remind me a lot of the Hollies with their harmonies!  Both great harmony bands.

To be honest though I can't hardly listen to McGuinn anymore, his vocal is so weak anymore it's almost grating to hear.  This is coming from a guy who still loves listening to Brian Wilson, so you know Roger's voice must be horrible if I can't even listen to it. 
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2012, 05:14:59 PM »

Mr. Tamborine Man is an amazing album! Cool

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2012, 01:04:48 AM »

Me too. I think that lineup blows away the "classic" line up. No disrespect to David Crosby and Gene Clark though. I wish that the three surviving members would reunite with Gene Parsons on drums, perhaps.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2012, 04:09:22 AM »

Me too. I think that lineup blows away the "classic" line up. No disrespect to David Crosby and Gene Clark though. I wish that the three surviving members would reunite with Gene Parsons on drums, perhaps.
I hope so too, but Roger and David still don't like each other a whole lot.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 04:39:22 AM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

nickdunning
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2012, 08:59:39 AM »

I hope so too, but Roger and David still don't like each other a whole lot.

David now owns The Byrds name, and has been trying for a long time to get McGuinn to agree to a tour before they get too old. Roger's not having it. Very sad.

Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2012, 12:25:45 PM »

Can someone more musically inclined than I please explain/break down how the Byrds harmony blend worked?

I believe it used to be David on the high harmony and Gene or Roger on the melody, then Gene or Roger on low harmony (whoever wasn't singing the melody).

Chris started singing more after Gene left, and, wow he has a great voice that has actually gotten better with time.  His solo work is outstanding.  (Check Chris Hillman and Herb Pedersen Live at Edwards Barn, they cover a couple of FBB tunes.  This is a fabulous record, go buy it right away!)

To my ears, Roger STILL has a great voice today, though mos often he is just recording traditional music.  Check out his solo album Back to Rio; very Byrdsy!

bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2012, 08:04:14 PM »

Roger doubled Gene on a lot of the early stuff.

Roger never really had a great voice, but it's still in good shape i suppose.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2012, 11:08:35 PM »

I listen to the first Clark solo album quite a bit, there are some really good songs but I can't help but find it a little boring. I think Gary Usher is a huge part of why I like the Byrds, his production style and Roger's guitar playing are a match made in heaven and I really miss that.

Does anybody here like Dr. Byrds and Mr. Hyde? I think that album is pretty underrated, especially This Wheels on Fire and Bad Night at the Whiskey.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 11:10:11 PM by Fishmonk » Logged

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Paulos
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2012, 11:36:16 PM »

Thanks for the replies regarding the Byrds vocal harmony, absolutely love their blend which for me is perhaps best shown on Wild Mountain Thyme.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2012, 12:44:16 AM »

I listen to the first Clark solo album quite a bit, there are some really good songs but I can't help but find it a little boring. I think Gary Usher is a huge part of why I like the Byrds, his production style and Roger's guitar playing are a match made in heaven and I really miss that.

Does anybody here like Dr. Byrds and Mr. Hyde? I think that album is pretty underrated, especially This Wheels on Fire and Bad Night at the Whiskey.

I think Dr. Byrds was a bit of an identity crisis record, with several songs hampered further by a really bad production/mix. I think The Byrds MK3 really gelled much better on the next couple of albums.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Liamo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2012, 08:20:46 AM »

A great band who tried out so many different styles. Its hard to believe Eight Miles High and Hickory Wind are by the same group (line-up changes accepted). If I remember correctly they even attempted a jazz version of John Riley. Their reunion album from 73 is patchy but worth checking out; some great Gene Clark songs and a couple of nice Neil Young covers. In fact, the whole album has a bit of a CSN vibe to it.
Have to say I like all the eras of the Byrds and as someone stated their solo work rewards investigation. Clark (No Other), Parsons (Grievous Angel), McGuinn (Cardiff Rose), Crosby (If I Could Only Remember my Name) Gene Parsons (Kindling), and Hillman with Mannassas have all produced minor classics.
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2012, 07:46:59 PM »

Here is the band that pioneered folk rock, psychedelic rock, and country rock.  Not to mention the genre of "Jangly".  They had a number of important to very talented writers (Gene Clark, Gram Parsons, along with McGuinn, Crosby, and Hillman).  They had two major guitar players in McGuinn and Clarence White.  And, oh yeah, those amazing harmonies primarily created by the outside the box creativity of David Crosby.  They influenced a lot of bands and artists.  And made several classic singles and LPs and some good ones.

One cannot underestimate the greatness of the Byrds.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2012, 10:23:45 AM »

I've said it before recently that if the original line up had hung together then The Byrds would have been THE Band of the '60s.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx