gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680752 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 02:22:43 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Byrds  (Read 30170 times)
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 02, 2012, 09:32:52 AM »

I have to say that to me post-SOTR and post-PS are two very different things though. I mean, after Pet Sounds you got amazing stuff like Smile, Friends, Wild Honey, etc - some of it at times even surpasses PS in quality (IMO), but I can't say the same about post-SOTR. I get what you mean though, hopefully some day I will appreciate SOTR as much as early Byrds.
Well I should really say Post Smile..Friends was an ok effort but wasn't great at all and very low quality(embarrassing at moments)...Wild Honey is a personal favorite by them but even I'll admit that it's definitely not an album I'd ever tell anyone to check out...it took me forever to accept and get into that album..

You're crazy.
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 02, 2012, 09:48:59 AM »

I was always curious as to how much interaction Bruce had with The Byrds, what with Terry producing.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 02, 2012, 10:42:22 AM »

I have to say that to me post-SOTR and post-PS are two very different things though. I mean, after Pet Sounds you got amazing stuff like Smile, Friends, Wild Honey, etc - some of it at times even surpasses PS in quality (IMO), but I can't say the same about post-SOTR. I get what you mean though, hopefully some day I will appreciate SOTR as much as early Byrds.
Well I should really say Post Smile..Friends was an ok effort but wasn't great at all and very low quality(embarrassing at moments)...Wild Honey is a personal favorite by them but even I'll admit that it's definitely not an album I'd ever tell anyone to check out...it took me forever to accept and get into that album..

You're crazy.
why? because it took me a while to get into an album that doesn't even have the familiar beach boys sound i love?
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 02, 2012, 10:43:09 AM »

I dig Farther Along. Probably my favourite Byrds LP.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 02, 2012, 11:23:21 AM »

You're crazy.
why? because it took me a while to get into an album that doesn't even have the familiar beach boys sound i love?

No, because you're calling Friends "an ok effort" and because you'd never recommend Wild Honey, perhaps one of the finest rock and roll records ever made.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 02, 2012, 12:02:14 PM »

You're crazy.

No, because you're calling Friends "an ok effort" and because you'd never recommend Wild Honey, perhaps one of the finest rock and roll records ever made.
I feel like Friends is over-rated (within the smiley smile community) and it's not as amazing as you guys make it to be. It has like 4 great songs and the rest is filler and half of the songs on that album are so embarrassing :/
Wild Honey is a great album but it just doesn't have the pretty & melodic sound the Beach Boys are known for. If someone wanted to get into the beach boys this wouldn't be one of the albums I'd showcase.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 02, 2012, 12:14:37 PM »

You're crazy.

I feel like Friends is over-rated (within the smiley smile community) and it's not as amazing as you guys make it to be. It has like 4 great songs and the rest is filler and half of the songs on that album are so embarrassing :/
Wild Honey is a great album but it just doesn't have the pretty & melodic sound the Beach Boys are known for. If someone wanted to get into the beach boys this wouldn't be one of the albums I'd showcase.
Obviously everybody is entitled to their own opinion which itself should be respected at all times. Especially on a message board. But... basically calling Friends and Wild Honey overrated is... hard to comprehend/digest.  Wink
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 02, 2012, 12:44:54 PM »

You're crazy.

Obviously everybody is entitled to their own opinion which itself should be respected at all times. Especially on a message board. But... basically calling Friends and Wild Honey overrated is... hard to comprehend/digest.  Wink
I never said Wild Honey is over-rated...it's actually quite slept on outside of this community and inside this community...it's in my top 5 bb albums it's just the right album to show to people barely getting into the beach boys ..it'll scare them away (you gotta put the medicine in the applesauce ya know?)..but friends is in my opinion the worst 60's album by the boys..
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 02, 2012, 07:55:36 PM »

friends is in my opinion the worst 60's album by the boys..

The laffs keep on comin'.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 03, 2012, 05:38:26 AM »

friends is in my opinion the worst 60's album by the boys..

The laffs keep on comin'.
I have just gouged my eyes out will a fork, they are no good to me anymore......did I just read that Friends is the worst beach boys album of the 60's? Moderator do something about this profanity!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 27, 2013, 05:06:57 AM »

some great live performances from Gene Clark.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dn6i3Z-5IR0

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 28, 2013, 04:26:03 PM »

David Crosby is Selling his green cape from 1965!!!!
http://www.examiner.com/article/david-crosby-selling-guitars-clothing-byrds-related-auction

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 28, 2013, 04:34:13 PM »

NEWSFALSH!!!!
David Crosby to declare bankruptcy if his items don't sell!!

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 28, 2013, 05:36:09 PM »

Garth Hudson of the Band just has his memoribilia sold out from under him yesterday.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 01, 2013, 07:46:20 AM »

NEWSFALSH!!!!
David Crosby to declare bankruptcy if his items don't sell!!

How can this guy be broke (again)? CSN&Y must have made him a millionare several times over.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 01, 2013, 09:46:28 AM »

I dig Farther Along. Probably my favourite Byrds LP.

RIGHT ON!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 01, 2013, 10:04:32 AM »

I find The Byrds interesting because it seems like more than any other reason, or at least equal to bringing country music into rock, their influence rests upon the chiming guitar sound they spearheaded in their early career. I find it neat that particular, fairly specific sound has been so influential (even if people might not cite them by name), since it seems relatively uncommon?
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 01, 2013, 01:25:56 PM »

Anyone else think Roger should have retired The Byrds name after "Notorious...."? They'd lost too many key members to be considered the same band. Hell before Roger rerecorded some of the leads, "Sweetheart" was essentially Gram Parsons with a backing band.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 01, 2013, 01:45:29 PM »

Anyone else think Roger should have retired The Byrds name after "Notorious...."? They'd lost too many key members to be considered the same band. Hell before Roger rerecorded some of the leads, "Sweetheart" was essentially Gram Parsons with a backing band.
Funny that this post is on a board dedicated to a band whose typical lineup includes one original member even as three others are alive and working.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 01, 2013, 04:11:31 PM »

It's not as if Mike is putting out album after album of just himself and a bunch of rotating sidesmen as "The Beach Boys".

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: March 04, 2013, 09:33:20 AM »

The original group totally live in 1965.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWlth2csLNw

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 04, 2013, 10:12:19 AM »

Forcing Gene Clark out of the band must rank as one of the dumbest decisions in the history of rock and roll.

Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 04, 2013, 06:33:47 PM »

Forcing Gene Clark out of the band must rank as one of the dumbest decisions in the history of rock and roll.

I know there was a lot of friction and resistance towards Clark's songwriting (mostly due to royalties he got from B-sides of the big hits).  But also he resented losing lead vocals to McGuinn and I was always under the impression that the parting was mutual.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 06, 2013, 01:35:44 PM »

Gene Clark wasn't forced out of the band. He left of his own accord mainly due to nervous tension. Recall that he was welcomed back for about 3 weeks fall 67 before quitting again.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 06, 2013, 02:27:13 PM »

No, no one else thinks this.......  Grin

The band with Clarence White and Gene Parsons was dyno-mite!

DYNOmite!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx