gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:07:18 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Good Timin' ? :/  (Read 20952 times)
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2012, 02:35:11 PM »

Just dug out some old tapes & gave 'em a listen...
Two rough mixes of "Good Timin'" circulate, both presumably from 1974.  The first is instruments-only; in this mix, the electric harpsichord is very prominent, and one can hear it playing all sorts of lines that were later buried by the vocals.  There is no audible organ part per se, but there is a two-note downward glissando line which sounds like a Moog or Arp playing a French horn patch.  The second rough mix features Carl's "work" vocal on the verses (it is the only vocal present on this mix).  The harpsichord is mixed lower, but is still very prominent, while the horn-type sound is much lower, just barely audible (it is best heard in the verses, between lines of Carl's vocal).  While there is no allocation for either horn or synth on the track sheet, it's possible that this sound is on the two tracks marked "organ"; indeed, its possible it is in fact an organ playing this part, as most organs have a French horn stop...so who knows.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2012, 03:31:04 PM »

Good Timin' -- another song for which I got no engineering credit.  Lady Linda was another one. Almost all of Full Sail.  These songs were all worked on, tracking and vocals, at the house studio.

~swd

Hold up. Wait. Are you saying that all these things we worked on before the took the studio out of Brian's house? That would trace the genesis of those songs all the way back to at least 1972! As far as "Good Timin'", are you sure? Because as far as many have been able to figure out, it wasn't worked on in the studio until 1974. Perhaps you are thinking of "Good Time"? If not, that's quite another revelation. Anyways, do you have any stories to share on the genesis of "Good Timin'"? Why it was held back for so long?

COMMENT:  If you are trying to establish a time-line, I AM NOT your man. I am really bad at dates. The reason I post on this website is to avail fans who are interested, to read about my perspective of events about which they are interested, before my memories fail me. That’s why I like to answer questions. It sparks my recollections. In your case, my perspective concerning these three songs may be of interest to you.

Here are my recollections of any events I still remember about these three songs. The following is what I remember after, what, 45 years(?) or so. I’ll leave it to you to take my memories and see how they fit into your time-line. I’m not making any claims – it’s getting harder to remember details.

Good Timin’ – I remember the piano especially. It seemed to be so nicely enhanced in the reverb chamber at the house when those few key notes are struck. I think work may have even been started on this (I mean rudimental work) before the house studio was built. But once the house studio was built and active, we did work on this piece . . . quite a bit of it.  But you should realize that it’s only a recording on tape. It can easily be re-done. It may well have been redone or parts replaced for LAL. But I hear many tracks as I remember they sounded when I recorded them. Even the drum machine sound is there behind the keyboard. Those may have remained or replaced. My memory isn’t that good. All those Ahhhhh’s in the foreground and Oooooo’s under them in the background are via Brian’s instruction. That’s Brian on those crooning high notes. Background vocals give you the full compliment of SIX Beach Boy’s at harmony. Note how forward in the mix they are and how solid the vocals sound. They come on like an explosion. I remember how insistent Carl was that the song have a “swing” feel to it and not fall into a “march” feeling. He would sway side-to-side to illustrate.  

Lady Linda – this is a more personal recollection. The first time I heard LL was by way of Alan playing his Martin acoustic and singing the song to me, to see what I might think of it as a candidate for a performance or recorded production. I could see that the song had a personal value to Alan, but he wrote songs for a living. This was one he wished to record. To help date it, as he played LL his two Irish Setters came in and around where Alan was sitting. I remember recording Alan and his guitar. We experimented with “answer voices” for “Lady Linda,” then the answer “Lady Linda.” Now it’s a guitar that answers. Introducing the song with Bach’s “Yesu, Joy of Man’s Desiring” was a later development. I think it was eventually worked out by Alan on the road. That was were he first played it for me . . . still fumbling over the Bach notes. I can see him working on that song in the dressing room at shows. He worked on it a lot. The rendition I remember was more of a folksong version. I believe he was just at the beginning of his vision for this song. In the final release, all the harmonies are there, what was once a saxophone is replaced with vocals, the drums come in at the same place. He was still working out the last verse when other songs seemed to take up the recording time. Probably all the tracking I did was eventually replaced or just started from new. What was released is certainly not a funky, folksy rendition. It now sounds over-produced to my ears. I thought the song sold better as a down-home, in-you-face, kind of presentation with Alan and his Martin front and center with some of the boys singing support lines. Nothing complex as it has now developed into. Alan should put out a second version, more folk-like, more to his style.  

Full Sail – I have listened to this song in it’s final LP version. It sure sounds like the lead I recall Carl laying down. All the inflections are there. I hear my gain riding on Carl’s lead. I may have had to reach as much as 15 dB to get a lead that you could hear as Carl sang a very dynamic presentation. I kept loosing the notes. You can’t overcome this problem with a machine. Good ‘ol manual gain riding was necessary – and effective. The BG’s, the ever presence-sounding tom and snare drum … it’s all there. A very quietly played drum track – like jazz drumming – was worked out. That’s a Fender Rhodes playing into a wa-wa-pedal at the first. I remember Carl wanted a dingy sound to set the stage for this song. We tried it. I thought it sounded to cliché; told Carl the effect would make it sound like a movie sound track. We needed a sound like the dingy or bell-on-a-mast type sound but with a twist. I had recalled seeing a device or musical instrument over at Paul Bever’s studio I thought might work. It lowered about four gongs into a trough of water to de-tune them. I think it was something he had made. So anyway, we took the bell, suspended it on a string and lowered it into a bucket of water. This lowered the ringing sound. Had to ride gain on it because the water would also shorten the ring time of the bell. To overcome that limitation we just recorded at 15 IPS and played back at 7.5 IPS to extend the ring and added some reverb. Within a few takes we had a bell sound that was off-beat enough not to be cliché, but still set the stage. Wild-tracked in and coupled with a few cymbal swipes using a brush, it seemed to work. You can see what I’m taking about by watching the percussionists at  [ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NwN3DC-r60 ].  Once again, all that they did with me could have been scraped and started over or replaced track by track. I don’t know. If they did replace tracks, they did an excellent job. You could “twist” the bell using a Harmonizer too. I prefer to do things naturally. I do not recall one vocal track (really deep back into the mix) that comes along at the end (adventure on the high seas – etc.) Who arranged the strings? Was it not Daryl Dragon? I don’t recall. I’m just trying to put this all together. Did we record them at A&M?  Did I even record the strings or were they added later. I can't be accurate.

Hope this helps. If I remember anything else I’ll post it. Sure wish Carl was here to answer your time-line. He was the best to get dates right. He had a memory for dates. Recording schedules, who recorded what on whch day.  Concert events, what songs and in which order were played at any past event. His memory was incredible.  

~swd

Wow. Thanks again. You totally don't have to do this, but I'm sure glad you have. I hope I don't come across disrespectful at all in my questions and replys. Your insight on "Good Timin'", "Full Sail", "Sail On, Sailor", and "Lady Lynda" are all invaluable.

So anyways, I know you aren't very good with dates, but if I may ask, when exactly did you work with the band? From what I recall, it was from 1967 until 1971 and then again in 1979 and 1980, correct? So from around Wild Honey until Surf's Up and then for Keepin' The Summer Alive? It's obvious that you've worked on songs during your tenure that ended up on other albums, as you've pointed out that you worked on "Sail On, Sailor" from the Holland album. However, did you work with them at all from 1972 until 1979?

And if you don't mind, are there any other songs of note that weren't associated with you? "You Need A Mess Of Help To Stand Alone"? "Californina Feelin'"? Anything from Love You? Any of Dennis' songs? I'd be interested to hear!

Lastly, I wish you'd make your book available again. If there is one Beach Boys book I wish I could get ahold of, it'd be that.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 05:17:59 PM by sweetdudejim » Logged
Nicko1234
« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2012, 03:57:20 PM »

Thanks for thos inside looks Stephen ! I totally agree about "Lady Lynda" being overproduced. Maybe Bruce (producing the L.A. Light Album) wanted it that way. 

Bruce didn`t produce all of that album. He has said that Al produced Lady Lynda himself.

Great comments from Mr Desper and it would be interesting if he can remember whether the Lady Lynda that he heard was more similar to the early version that was played in the film Almost Summer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm0rdP8cf6c
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2012, 05:09:37 PM »

Thanks for thos inside looks Stephen ! I totally agree about "Lady Lynda" being overproduced. Maybe Bruce (producing the L.A. Light Album) wanted it that way. 

Bruce didn`t produce all of that album. He has said that Al produced Lady Lynda himself.

Great comments from Mr Desper and it would be interesting if he can remember whether the Lady Lynda that he heard was more similar to the early version that was played in the film Almost Summer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm0rdP8cf6c

COMMENT:  The film version is more as I remember the track we worked on. You are right on. Sometimes you fans are scary smart on all this history, even to we who were part of it.    ~swd
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2012, 06:56:18 PM »

So anyways, I know you aren't very good with dates, but if I may ask, when exactly did you work with the band? From what I recall, it was from 1967 until 1971 and then again in 1979 and 1980, correct? So from around Wild Honey until Surf's Up and then for Keepin' The Summer Alive? It's obvious that you've worked on songs during your tenure that ended up on other albums, as you've pointed out that you worked on "Sail On, Sailor" from the Holland album. However, did you work with them at all from 1972 until 1979?

Comment:  The house studio was dismantaled, I left to work with Zappa and the band went to The Netherlands. Upon returning they built a studio in Santa Monica with Steven Moffet running it. It lasted for a few years. You all know more about it than I do.

Between Holland and up to Keepin' I only worked a few times and only did a few shows. Then I did some work at Criteria in Florida. I worked on the resurrection of the United Western Studio 3 sessions -- or were those after '79?  Somewhere along the line I did some work with Frank Lloyd who was doing something for the Beach Boys, I think.  I liked to take week long get-aways out of LA, together with my dog, and visit Alan and Maryann and the kids at their Big Sur ranch house. While there I recorded at Red Barn Studios or would oversee improvements to the studio, or help Alan around the real barn. Those were some good times!! Sitting in the hottub with Alan, looking out over vast forests and flowers, while gettng tipsy on white wine. Then do some jazz recording in the Barn.

~swd 
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2012, 07:21:34 PM »

Mr. Desper, if you wouldn't mind my asking, why didn't the group ask you to join them in the Netherlands? Or, were you asked and you declined, and if you did, why?

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2012, 08:37:32 PM »

Mr. Desper, if you wouldn't mind my asking, why didn't the group ask you to join them in the Netherlands? Or, were you asked and you declined, and if you did, why?

COMMENT:  At this time Mike Love was very much into meditation, Transendental Meditation. He wanted to surround himself with meditators. Although the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi gave me a mantra, and I understand the reason for meditation, I was still not willing to get involved in daily TM. It did not appeal to me. Mike had met an engineer at one of the meditation meetings and decided to replace non-meditating me with a meditating engineer.

What gets me is that here was all the equipment necessary for a fully functional recording studio, even designed to fit into custom Avil cases. That entire studio could have gone to Holland. That would have been simple. Instead, they sell the system. Then they take a brand new, never been tested, complex console over and set it up. It uses memory technology never before field tested. What I hear back is that there were many delays, as you would expect. But eventually a fine album was made.   
~swd
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2012, 08:55:29 PM »

COMMENT:  At this time Mike Love was very much into meditation, Transendental Meditation. He wanted to surround himself with meditators. Although the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi gave me a mantra, and I understand the reason for meditation, I was still not willing to get involved in daily TM. It did not appeal to me. Mike had met an engineer at one of the meditation meetings and decided to replace non-meditating me with a meditating engineer.

What gets me is that here was all the equipment necessary for a fully functional recording studio, even designed to fit into custom Avil cases. That entire studio could have gone to Holland. That would have been simple. Instead, they sell the system. Then they take a brand new, never been tested, complex console over and set it up. It uses memory technology never before field tested. What I hear back is that there were many delays, as you would expect. But eventually a fine album was made.   
~swd

Thank for you for the quick response, Mr. Desper. Thats an unfortunate, and somewhat childish reason to replace a knowledgeable, talented engineer the group worked with for so long. Were the other members of the group disappointed with Mike's decision? Why did he have the final say in terms of the group's recording engineer?

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2012, 09:40:38 PM »

~swd

Jeez. What a shame that they got rid of you for that reason. You probably won't find many records that sound better than Sunflower and Surf's Up. I'm usually not a guy that cares all that much about engineering and all that, but it is very obvious that the work you did with the band was incredible. And I feel lucky to hear it. I think you pushed the level of great songs like "This Whole World", "All I Wanna Do", "Cool, Cool Water", and "Surf's Up" even higher with your work.
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2012, 01:06:30 PM »

Jeez. What a shame that they got rid of you for that reason. You probably won't find many records that sound better than Sunflower and Surf's Up. I'm usually not a guy that cares all that much about engineering and all that, but it is very obvious that the work you did with the band was incredible. And I feel lucky to hear it. I think you pushed the level of great songs like "This Whole World", "All I Wanna Do", "Cool, Cool Water", and "Surf's Up" even higher with your work.

COMMENT:  Thank you for your words of praise.  It was a sad day, but I wanted to close up and pack up the house studio myself, and not let someone else do it. All things eventually end. You could ask Mike or Bruce about those times . . . I mean it isn’t as if this is some big secret. So having said that, here is my take on the events and my awareness of the situation.

The events leading up to the decision by the Beach Boys to rent a farmhouse in a foreign country in which to build a studio was to me, about the farthest from practicality you could go. However, as much as I pointed out that the equipment they already owned could easily do the job, it did not matter. They were selling all and if I wanted to go along on a tour with Frank Zappa, who bought the equipment, he was very interested in securing a seasoned concert mixer.

Jack Rieley, for some reason really pushed the idea of moving the studio from its current productive home to a place where Brian would not be tempted by his so-called friends to do the drugs that were wrecking his life and impeding his creative abilities. That made sense, except the country of destination happens to be one of the most drug-liberal countries in Europe. But still, it wasn’t the availability of drugs that was the culprit, it was Brian’s ability to get to the drugs. Jack Rieley thought Brian could be more controlled by moving all the Beach Boys and their families to a distant shore. This enormous expense was to cost Warner’s and the BB organization a small fortune, but off they went. I told them it was a foolish thing to do, but everyone was convinced this was the best for Brian. I still held that he would do better in LA with a competent psychiatrist’s help, but Jack thought he could change Brian with a change of living style. I thought this whole scheme would be so detrimental to Brian and the continuation of the Beach Boy legacy, that I became very skeptical and protested the trip. I said I would go, but only with the equipment that had served us so well.  

In the meantime, and I’m not too clear on all this, Moffet, who was an accomplished engineer himself, was involved (somehow) with a up-start company that claimed to have a revolutionary console design, The OLIVE console was to be the first fully automated console [ http://www.pmerecords.com/Olive.cfm ] with about anything you could want designed into each I/O module. Of the five produced before the company went under, one was sent to Holland. Also he was involved with a new (or his own) design for a studio monitor – joining the ranks of hundreds already on the market.

I have not got a problem with custom speaker designs, but when it comes to monitors, you need an industry standard to work with or else all your mixes will require a lot of tweaking when you get to mastering. In Brian’s case, he grew up with the sound of the Altec 604B, and then the 604C with its extended top end response. Brian knew the 604 sound. It was not only an industry standard, it was his standard. We used four in the home studio (see book). Why would you want to saddle Brian, who already has a hearing problem, with a completely unfamiliar studio monitor?  No matter how good the speaker is, changing this standard for Brian was only going to alienate him from his task, not endear him to it. Quoting from the current issue of STEREOPHILE MAGAZINE (Aug. 2012, P36) “Herb Richert describes the Altec 604 as a driver that was ‘carefully, cost-no-object-engineered to show producers what, exactly, is coming down the mike feed. You really want to know what’s hidden in those record grooves? These will show you.’ ” So anyway, over in the peaceful but boring Baambrugge, The Netherlands [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baambrugge ] a new monitor sound had to be learned by all.

Then came the new Olive Console. I would say that the Beach Boys field tested this new product. This resulted in numerous delays – not good in a creative setting. Not only was this a new console design (very complex) but it had a new and untested technology (digital control). Somehow Moffet or Rieley or both were involved in getting the console at a discount, if only for the notoriety of the Beach Boys.

All this was going on in the background. Mike was being convinced of the need for a state-of-the-art console to advance the Beach Boy sound. Moffet was working a deal (this is what was told to me – true or not I do not know) and Mike Love likes deals. The Beach Boys were heavy into TM, especially Mike. In this state-of-mind he thought his and the group’s talents would be peaked and the creative juices flow better if everyone surrounding Brian and the recording scene would be practicing TM. That is, meditating three time a day, eating vegetarian, and refraining from drinking and smoking. Rieley went right along with Mike and the boys followed.

And as I have always pointed out, this is a business; the music business. As the name implies, it is the music, the song that makes the money, not the engineering of that song. People remember the song, the tune, the melody, not the mix or effects. 20/20, Sunflower and Surf’s Up were gaining review praise, but as for sales, they were low. Only Do It Again made any money. Getting Brian to cross over into stereo production had not proven to produce added revenue. Michael thought a complete reorganization of the recording scene might help make a more commercial record. And, he was correct, as Holland did outsell the last album release. Unfortunately, it was very expensive to make, with only SOS, which had already been recorded, being the only single.

I was off with Zappa using the very equipment I designed for them to travel with – even as a studio. The boys, upon returning, built the Santa Monica studio out of the equipment they took to Holland, where they continued recording. But the unity was gone.

I completely left the organization on that last day. I turned over all the tapes, secured the equipment to its cases, coiled up all the cables, returned the house keys and kissed Lewie and Bananas goodbye. Driving home by the same route I had used for the last four years that evening, I knew it was an end of an era for both myself and The Beach Boys. We had had some great times and made excellent music during our association, and I believed I had brought honor and esteem to their product with respect to engineering and production value. I was not leaving in disgrace, to the contrary, I was leaving with pride and with the knowledge that I had stood by my principles and my beliefs. Still, tears would not stay away.

~swd
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 05:00:46 PM by Stephen W. Desper » Logged
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2012, 04:11:06 PM »

Mr. Desper, it truly is a shame such a level-headed, logical fellow such as yourself was ignored at a time when your word seemed to be the only reasonable voice in the Beach Boys organization.  I'm sorry that the Beach Boys and their organization could not see that, though I can assure you the incredible effort and self sacrifice you dedicated to the Beach Boys' music is deeply appreciated by fans all over the world.  Thank you, Mr. Desper, for your work and for the invaluable information you provide us with here on this board.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 23, 2012, 04:21:26 PM »

Wow, the band seemed caught up in some weird stuff back in the day and not thinking rationally. Thanks, Mr. Desper.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 23, 2012, 04:47:11 PM »

Thank you, Stephen W. Desper!

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2012, 05:43:12 PM »

Thanks for all this, Stephen! Add me to a multitude of people requesting a reprint of your book, I could never find a copy.

I always wondered,  how much did you see the band throughout the rest of the seventies? Did they keep in touch/you see them around? Or even do any work for them, in an uncredited capacity? (although you did mention Full Sail earlier - were there other songs you worked on?)

And one last thing - how are you? I hope you're keeping well.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
SIP.FLAC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2012, 06:19:17 PM »

Thank you so much Stephen.

Isn't the fact that Brian is audible on Good Timin a bit of a revelation? Once I finally realized it was Carl singing the "it takes good timin" part (it only took me 3 or 4 years to figure that one out) I had come to think that Brian didn't appear on LA.

Youre not allowed to have a picture in your signature so imagine this : Tony Montana shooting a machine gun (his little friend), but the face is actually Mike Love haha.
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: July 24, 2012, 11:33:38 AM »

Thanks for all this, Stephen! Add me to a multitude of people requesting a reprint of your book, I could never find a copy.

I always wondered,  how much did you see the band throughout the rest of the seventies? Did they keep in touch/you see them around? Or even do any work for them, in an uncredited capacity? (although you did mention Full Sail earlier - were there other songs you worked on?)

COMMENT

:: on your book question: I originally published the book myself and sold numbered & signed copies. Then I sold it coupled with a simple matrix. I sold about 150 copies total and took a loss on each copy. I did a second printing and sold all of those copies, but toward the end sales slowed down to a crawl. Now, once in a while someone asks for a copy. Meanwhile, I thought a more comprehensive book might be interesting enough to publish using a book publisher. In order to get to that point you have to have a manuscript. So I started to work on one. Two years ago I had 850 pages of single spaced typed pages. I decided to edit it down to 500 or 600 pages, and to get the work more organized. Since then I have written an additional (about) 400 pages. The editing took so much time. I bought an IBM Thinkpad just to use for the book. Everything is in the IBM memory (also have a backup file). I use to take it with me and work on the manuscript when time permitted, but the book is so large and has so many subjects that it became a nightmare to edit. I'm just not an editor, at least of my own words. Maybe one of these days I'll find a publisher and then an editor to finish it. Meanwhile I've teamed up with a fan to venture into some Internet offerings. Stay tuned.

:: on your Beach Boy question:  I keep in touch with everyone, but not to a great extent. We are certainly good friends. As I posted, I use to see Alan frequently until I moved away. After Zappa I went on to design studios and TV stages. The acoustics that is. I designed at least a dozen in the Hollywood area. When I formed Spatializer Audio Inc., it was a NASDAQ traded company, so as CEO of a NASDAQ corporation my time was limited for visits with them. Then I got involved with the Olympic games and the broadcasting of those in 3D sound. That took up more time. I recently saw Brian and about a year ago I saw Bruce and Mike. They all looked great.

:: on my health:  two weeks ago I had a complete physical. Everything was normal. The Doctor said I had the health of a 50 year old. I take care of myself, so we'll see how it goes.  Thank's for asking.

~swd
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 24, 2012, 11:47:40 PM »

Steve, Stephen, Dr. Desper, whichever name you prefer...

THANK YOU so much for all of your posts here over the last few years. Your stories, insights, etc. have helped to deepen my appreciation of the Boys' music. And I just LOVE the "sound" of both Sunflower and Surf's Up...specially on Sunflower...all the harmonies just seem to envelop and surround the "space", for lack of a better term. The Boys' singing is great in itself, but the way they sound on those early 70s records, the engineering just takes an already amazing sound to a whole new level. In an ideal world, This Whole World, Add Some Music, Forever, All I Wanna Do (Speaking of awesome sounding), etc. would be #1 hits.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 25, 2012, 08:53:05 AM »

Not to sideline Mr. Desper's awesome comments (how lucky are we that people like Steve are still here and willing to share their knowledge?" Seiously!) But on the subject of Good Timin' and Brian's answer vocals on the chorus in concert, I believe he did not just make that up on the spot. The reason? Because Carl told Tim White in Crawdaddy in 1976 that the song Good Timin' has counterpoint vocals in the chorus. It was suppose to go "you need Good Timin' (lay down your burdens) / it takes Good Timin' (lay down your troubles)".
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: July 25, 2012, 11:00:29 AM »

THANK YOU so much for all of your posts here over the last few years. Your stories, insights, etc. have helped to deepen my appreciation of the Boys' music. And I just LOVE the "sound" of both Sunflower and Surf's Up...specially on Sunflower...all the harmonies just seem to envelop and surround the "space", for lack of a better term. The Boys' singing is great in itself, but the way they sound on those early 70s records, the engineering just takes an already amazing sound to a whole new level. In an ideal world, This Whole World, Add Some Music, Forever, All I Wanna Do (Speaking of awesome sounding), etc. would be #1 hits.
You mean Mr. Desper? Anyway, agree with you about Add Some Music & This Whole World being nominees for #1 hits.

COMMENT:  Most people in the organization called me Steve or Desper. We had three Steve's on staff, so I was referred to as Desper many times. Even today, I get called that visiting a show. When I was working for the Beach Boys, Mr. Desper was what what they called my dad, when they were here at my Florida home. During one of the tour trips to Florida (many years ago) we did a show in Tampa. As a surprise to my folks, we diverted the private touring Grayhound Bus we used for that tour, to stop in front of my family home. (It's amazing how large one of those buses is when it's parked in front of your house). Everyone came in and had some afternoon tea. My parents don't drink. Kind of a neat memory, having the Beach Boys in your own living room that you grew up living in, sipping tea out of good china reserved for those special visitors and sweet talking to your mom and dad. And of course, mom is showing them all the electronic gadgets I had built while in high school. You see, that's the kind of people these guys really are. Down home, unpretentious, loving, and caring. It's no wonder that after fifty years they are still together making hit records.

~swd
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 25, 2012, 11:57:12 AM »

You mean Mr. Desper? Anyway, agree with you about Add Some Music & This Whole World being nominees for #1 hits.

COMMENT:  Most people in the organization called me Steve or Desper. We had three Steve's on staff, so I was referred to as Desper many times. Even today, I get called that visiting a show. When I was working for the Beach Boys, Mr. Desper was what what they called my dad, when they were here at my Florida home. During one of the tour trips to Florida (many years ago) we did a show in Tampa. As a surprise to my folks, we diverted the private touring Grayhound Bus we used for that tour, to stop in front of my family home. (It's amazing how large one of those buses is when it's parked in front of your house). Everyone came in and had some afternoon tea. My parents don't drink. Kind of a neat memory, having the Beach Boys in your own living room that you grew up living in, sipping tea out of good china reserved for those special visitors and sweet talking to your mom and dad. And of course, mom is showing them all the electronic gadgets I had built while in high school. You see, that's the kind of people these guys really are. Down home, unpretentious, loving, and caring. It's no wonder that after fifty years they are still together making hit records.

~swd
Steve, it is nice to know that my/our musical heroes were/are those kind of folks. Thank you for sharing the story.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 25, 2012, 02:49:27 PM »

COMMENT

:: on your book question: I originally published the book myself and sold numbered & signed copies. Then I sold it coupled with a simple matrix. I sold about 150 copies total and took a loss on each copy. I did a second printing and sold all of those copies, but toward the end sales slowed down to a crawl. Now, once in a while someone asks for a copy. Meanwhile, I thought a more comprehensive book might be interesting enough to publish using a book publisher. In order to get to that point you have to have a manuscript. So I started to work on one. Two years ago I had 850 pages of single spaced typed pages. I decided to edit it down to 500 or 600 pages, and to get the work more organized. Since then I have written an additional (about) 400 pages. The editing took so much time. I bought an IBM Thinkpad just to use for the book. Everything is in the IBM memory (also have a backup file). I use to take it with me and work on the manuscript when time permitted, but the book is so large and has so many subjects that it became a nightmare to edit. I'm just not an editor, at least of my own words. Maybe one of these days I'll find a publisher and then an editor to finish it. Meanwhile I've teamed up with a fan to venture into some Internet offerings. Stay tuned.

:: on your Beach Boy question:  I keep in touch with everyone, but not to a great extent. We are certainly good friends. As I posted, I use to see Alan frequently until I moved away. After Zappa I went on to design studios and TV stages. The acoustics that is. I designed at least a dozen in the Hollywood area. When I formed Spatializer Audio Inc., it was a NASDAQ traded company, so as CEO of a NASDAQ corporation my time was limited for visits with them. Then I got involved with the Olympic games and the broadcasting of those in 3D sound. That took up more time. I recently saw Brian and about a year ago I saw Bruce and Mike. They all looked great.

:: on my health:  two weeks ago I had a complete physical. Everything was normal. The Doctor said I had the health of a 50 year old. I take care of myself, so we'll see how it goes.  Thank's for asking.

~swd

All very good to hear! One last thing that I forgot in that post.... Where can one get a Spatialiser these days? Have an '72 Carl & The Passions LP I'd love to hear through one. Google only turns up VST plugins. And if you're ever in London, consider a beer or whatever the health of 50 year old permits on me  Smiley

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 25, 2012, 04:12:09 PM »

I remember seeing them in concert back in the day and freaking when Brian did the echo lead vocal...

Really wish this was on the studio version. Does a really good soundboard version of a live take with that vocal even exist or circulate among fans?

He was doing that short echo part during the 1980 shows. I know he did it at the DC, July 4th show (which was  broadcast), and I'm thinking it might have been on the 4-18 Philadelphia radio concert as well (though don't quote me on the latter...I'd have to dig that one out to verify).

On a related note, I was under the impression that Stephen Desper did the live radio *mix* for that noted coast-to-coast, live '80 radio show from the Philly Spectrum. Correct, Steve? I remember staying up to record it, only to have my local affiliate (WMMS) "kindly" deciding not to run the encore!!!!!!

EDIT: Lo and behold. Look what I found on YouTube. The DC version of Good Timin'. Though, it seems the sound man was a tad late in potting up Brian's mic on that answer vocal at the end. But you get the idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBVRz4RC4ns
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 04:23:26 PM by Dave Modny » Logged
Danimalist
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 25, 2012, 04:22:51 PM »

I remember seeing them in concert back in the day and freaking when Brian did the echo lead vocal...

Really wish this was on the studio version. Does a really good soundboard version of a live take with that vocal even exist or circulate among fans?

He was doing that short echo part during the 1980 shows. I know he did it at the DC, July 4th show (which was  broadcast), and I'm thinking it might have been on the 4-18 Philadelphia radio concert as well (though don't quote me on the latter...I'd have to dig that one out to verify).

On a related note, I was under the impression that Stephen Desper did the live radio *mix* for that noted coast-to-coast, live '80 radio show from the Philly Spectrum. Correct, Steve? I remember staying up to record it, only to have my local affiliate (WMMS) "kindly" decide to not run the encore!!!!!!

EDIT: Lo and behold. Look what I found on YouTube. The DC version of Good Timin'. Though, it seems the sound man was a tad late in potting up Brian's mic on that answer vocal at the end. But you get the idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBVRz4RC4ns

Thanks much. I was just about to go on a goosechase for this.
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 25, 2012, 09:44:07 PM »

Finally found it:

Carl Wilson: (talking about 15 Big Ones to Timothy White)
You know, Brian and I wrote one song for this new album called Good Timing. It's got a lot of counterpoint to it, lyrics overlapping.
You need good timing
Lay down your worries
It takes good timing
Lay down your troubles

If your take those words and sing them where Brian sings his answer vocals in the concert versions of Good Timin', it fits perfectly.
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: July 26, 2012, 01:13:37 PM »

All very good to hear! One last thing that I forgot in that post.... Where can one get a Spatialiser these days? Have an '72 Carl & The Passions LP I'd love to hear through one. Google only turns up VST plugins. And if you're ever in London, consider a beer or whatever the health of 50 year old permits on me  Smiley
[/quote]

COMMENTS:

Spatializer (with a zer) uses a different matrix and approach as per the patent.

Are you going to any events in the London Olympics? I’ll be watching in HD, but it’s not like being there.

I’ve had my share of pints of stout with the local theater crew. During intermission they would snake their way – in a single file line – through allays, restaurant kitchens, in an office backdoor and out the front, next door is the closest pub to the theater. We would hurry along this shortcut at intermission, drink for ten minutes and rush back. The second part of the show always sounded better! I have great memories of working with my British counterparts.

~swd   

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx