gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:54:43 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Good Timin' ? :/  (Read 20954 times)
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 23, 2012, 12:39:44 AM »

Am i the only one that is completely annoyed by the weird synthesizer sound in the beginning of the verse's :/ ?I love the chorus but that is holding me from enjoying the song..ughhhhh!
I might get bashed for this..but is there anyone else that hates it as well?
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 12:48:10 AM »

I believe that's actually a harpsicord, isn't it?
GeorgeFell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 05:00:05 AM »

I'd rather complain about the turgid production on Dennis' two offerings on side 2 of So Tough.
Craig Boyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 05:39:11 AM »

I always thought it was some kind of synth made to sound like a harpsichord, I quite like that part although it'd sound nicer played on a vibraphone IMO.
Craig Boyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 05:39:28 AM »

I'd rather complain about the turgid production on Dennis' two offerings on side 2 of So Tough.

Make a thread...
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 09:14:54 AM »

It's similar to whatever it is they used near the beginning of "Marcella". It's the sound of Brian unzipping his pants.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 10:51:21 AM »

it's a weird sound that hurts my ears :/ do you guys like it? does it ruin the song for you?
i love the chorus but f*** that noise is killing me ! :[
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 11:05:33 AM by Newguy562 » Logged
Paulos
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 11:09:10 AM »

it's a weird sound that hurts my ears :/ do you guys like it? does it ruin the song for you?
i love the chorus but f*** that noise is killing me ! :[

Yes and no.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2012, 11:19:47 AM »

Am i the only one that is completely annoyed by the weird synthesizer sound in the beginning of the verse's :/ ?I love the chorus but that is holding me from enjoying the song..ughhhhh!
I might get bashed for this..but is there anyone else that hates it as well?

I love that sound! Nothing about this song i dislike.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2012, 11:25:18 AM »

seems that i am singled out on this lol..
the chorus and the harmony in the verse's are great just that noise..... Wall
PaulTMA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2012, 01:27:59 PM »

That's an autoharp on Marcella.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2012, 03:36:13 PM »

That's a harpsichord on "Good Timin'".  At least that 's what the track sheets say (for both the original 16-track tape & the transferred 24-track tape).  No synthesizers noted.  The other keyboards are acoustic piano, organ & Fender Rhodes (the latter added at the 24-track stage, probably by Bruce).
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2012, 04:37:35 PM »

That's a harpsichord on "Good Timin'".  At least that 's what the track sheets say (for both the original 16-track tape & the transferred 24-track tape).  No synthesizers noted.  The other keyboards are acoustic piano, organ & Fender Rhodes (the latter added at the 24-track stage, probably by Bruce).

Since I'd assume that you, of anyone, would know, is Brian on "Good Timin'" or not?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2012, 04:46:52 PM »

Since I'd assume that you, of anyone, would know, is Brian on "Good Timin'" or not?

Not vocally.  Presumably he played the piano, organ & harpsichord at the original 1974 session (which was recorded at Caribou with Carl, Dennis, and Jim Guercio).  Per engineer Tom Murphy, Carl wanted Brian to do the lead during the Light Album sessions, but Bri was in the hospital so Carl ended up doing it.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2012, 10:01:10 PM »

Not vocally.  Presumably he played the piano, organ & harpsichord at the original 1974 session (which was recorded at Caribou with Carl, Dennis, and Jim Guercio).  Per engineer Tom Murphy, Carl wanted Brian to do the lead during the Light Album sessions, but Bri was in the hospital so Carl ended up doing it.

Hmm. I've heard that Carl wanted Brian to do the lead vocal, that would have been interesting. I wonder if it woulda done as well commercially if Brian did the lead instead. There really wasn't much in the way of singles with a Brian lead vocal after the "Brian's Back" period.

I am write to presume that Carl's lead is from 1974 though, right? Since it's on that early version which is purportedly from 1974.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2012, 01:52:58 AM »

I think the song in itself is great, but it shoulda have been released on 15BO along with California Feelin'. Good Timin' features the wrong vocalist, should have been Brian or Dennis. I also think the production and mixing of the song is pretty poor. They coulda made this better than what it is.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2012, 02:36:48 AM »

I think the song in itself is great, but it shoulda have been released on 15BO along with California Feelin'. Good Timin' features the wrong vocalist, should have been Brian or Dennis. I also think the production and mixing of the song is pretty poor. They coulda made this better than what it is.

Again I'm baffled. The production is pin sharp. Those harmonies are crystal clear. I must be listening to a different track to everyone else here....
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2012, 04:28:23 AM »

Again I'm baffled. The production is pin sharp. Those harmonies are crystal clear. I must be listening to a different track to everyone else here....

I think it might be abit too slick in production. Too pin sharp. The harmonies are excellent, but Carl wasn't the best one to sing lead on it. The booted live version with Dennis on lead makes a stronger track imo.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2012, 06:16:40 AM »

Hmm. I've heard that Carl wanted Brian to do the lead vocal, that would have been interesting. I wonder if it woulda done as well commercially if Brian did the lead instead. There really wasn't much in the way of singles with a Brian lead vocal after the "Brian's Back" period.

I am write to presume that Carl's lead is from 1974 though, right? Since it's on that early version which is purportedly from 1974.

Well, no...there IS a Carl lead vocal on the 1974 rough mix (and it looks like it survived the transfer to 24-track), but all indications are he replaced it in '78 (on 12/13/78, according to notations on the 24-track track sheet), including Tom Murphy's recount (he says he & Carl did that alone at Britannia Studio).  And, Cainessence isn't the only one who feels the final mix wasn't quite "right"...Jim Guercio:"I told Bruce Johnston he could finish 'Good Timin''; he added a few things and he didn't get the mix right".  (ESQ, Summer 2008, p. 9)  I must admit that it sounds OK to me, but what do I know.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2012, 06:22:53 AM »

I agree, Disney Boy (1985). Whoever produced it (Bruce?), they got everything possible out of the song. Carl did a perfect lead vocal; I can't imagine Brian or Dennis in 1978/1979 doing a better job. The harmonies are outstanding coming on the heels of 15 Big Ones/Love You/MIU. While the lyrics are simple, they epitomize The Beach Boys as much as any song they ever did. And, while there is a bit of repetitiveness about the song, it is easily one of the best songs of the post-Holland Beach Boys. It's one of those classic BW 2:10 songs!

BTW, there was an instrumental only version of "Good Timin" floating around years ago which was also cool.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 06:24:43 AM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
Craig Boyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2012, 06:36:21 AM »

Thanks c-man that's some great info there.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2012, 06:45:01 AM »

I think it was produced by Carl and with some overdubs produced by the Bruce-ster. It's great.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2012, 07:16:22 AM »

I think it was produced by Carl and with some overdubs produced by the Bruce-ster. It's great.

The "Good Timin'" production credit on "Tens Years of Harmony" was given to Bruce, Carl, and Guercio.  Based on the evidence we have, I'd say the basic track was produced by Guercio, most of the 1978 overdubs were produced by Bruce (including the background vocal arrangement, which Bruce says he wrote), and then Carl produced his own lead vocal.  Then Bruce did the mix.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2012, 08:03:21 AM »

I agree, Disney Boy (1985). Whoever produced it (Bruce?), they got everything possible out of the song. Carl did a perfect lead vocal; I can't imagine Brian or Dennis in 1978/1979 doing a better job. The harmonies are outstanding coming on the heels of 15 Big Ones/Love You/MIU. While the lyrics are simple, they epitomize The Beach Boys as much as any song they ever did. And, while there is a bit of repetitiveness about the song, it is easily one of the best songs of the post-Holland Beach Boys. It's one of those classic BW 2:10 songs!

BTW, there was an instrumental only version of "Good Timin" floating around years ago which was also cool.

Yeah, i've got a couple of demos and backing track sessions and they're all lovely.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2012, 08:12:34 AM »

First hearing the song and all i thought it was a lovely ballad, tho a safe track, it sounds great!
but then, listening over and over again to their entire catalog and going back to Good Timin'.. it just feels a bit forced and the verses are so.. a bit empty, just too short, nothing going on, like few words and all.. as much as nice it sounds, in the end there isn't much goinng on in that song..

I don't know, i really like it overall, but feels something is missin' i guess, prehaps some bridge/different or more sections, or stronger verses i guess.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 08:14:31 AM by Ziggy Stardust » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx