gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681550 Posts in 27642 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 12, 2024, 06:01:27 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: July 12, 2011  (Read 18759 times)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 27, 2011, 04:37:20 AM »

(Thanks to 18ofMay of this very parish:)

http://www.directcurrentmusic.com/dc-music-news-feed/2011/4/26/the-beach-boys-legendary-60s-smile-sessions-finally-set-for.html

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 05:09:23 AM »

Good idea to put this in its own thread. Dead exciting if it's true. I would imagine the proof will be if there is more news about this date in the next few days. Fingers crossed! ...

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 05:14:22 AM »

As I said on the other thread... great to have a date at last. **IF** this is true, of course!

Could we perhaps move speculation about the set and its contents to THIS thread, and leave all the drug chat in the other thread? Not to be prissy about it, because I'm passingly familiar with the concept of an altered state myself... but I'd really like to talk about the contents of the SMiLE Sessions box set in a thread somewhere. And not have it keep getting mixed up with drugs (as it were).

For those that argue that one and t'other topic are inseparable, I see where you're coming from, and I have some sympathy with that point of view. But I'm not trying to stop that discussion. You can carry right on discussing it in the other thread as before.

Whatch'all reckon?

MattB
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 05:23:56 AM »

I think the problem was that we did write pages of discussion about the contents of the set on the previous thread - unfortunately, speculation can only whet the appetite for so long.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 05:32:47 AM »

Two issues on the announcement:

- I raised the interesing idea that Mike Love might have consented to using BWPS as the template for the 'finished' SMiLE on the box and probably the 2-CD set. Isn't that intriguing, if it's true?

- what would be the 'additional work' that messrs. Linett and Boyd had to do to make the SS SMiLE experience more of a whole?

STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 05:47:05 AM »

Interesting..

I'm supposed to see the Beach Boys in concert on 12.07.   Let's see if Mike mentions anything about SMiLE that night :D

Umh.. if I meet them after the show I should probably ask them something about the release.

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 05:51:20 AM »

- I raised the interesing idea that Mike Love might have consented to using BWPS as the template for the 'finished' SMiLE on the box and probably the 2-CD set. Isn't that intriguing, if it's true?

It's certainly an interesting point. Personally I'd imagine Brian, Mike and Al probably have a billion other things they'd rather do than sequence Smile and all welcome the convenience of using Brian and VDP's 2003 sequence: the path of least resistance an' all that.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 05:52:14 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 05:55:04 AM »

Interesting..

I'm supposed to see the Beach Boys in concert on 12.07.   Let's see if Mike mentions anything about SMiLE that night :D

Umh.. if I meet them after the show I should probably ask them something about the release.

You could, um, take the SS box with you, and ask Mike to sign each item therein. Wouldn't it be nice?

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 06:08:02 AM »

It's certainly an interesting point. Personally I'd imagine Brian, Mike and Al probably have a billion other things they'd rather do than sequence Smile and all welcome the convenience of using Brian and VDP's 2003 sequence: the path of least resistance an' all that.

That, and unless in '67 Brian told Mike the exact sequencing of SMiLE I doubt Mike would have much to contribute to in that area.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 06:14:26 AM »

That, and unless in '67 Brian told Mike the exact sequencing of SMiLE I doubt Mike would have much to contribute to in that area.

Good point, well made.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 06:25:03 AM by The Heartical Don » Logged

STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 06:16:50 AM »

Interesting..

You could, um, take the SS box with you, and ask Mike to sign each item therein. Wouldn't it be nice?

Now, why would I want to spoil my brand new SMiLE box-set like that??

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2011, 06:23:18 AM »

Interesting..

I'm supposed to see the Beach Boys in concert on 12.07.   Let's see if Mike mentions anything about SMiLE that night :D

LOL -->  Smokin
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 06:26:04 AM by The Heartical Don » Logged

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2011, 07:06:33 AM »

Interesting..

Yes, probably better to take your second set with you to be signed by Mike and Bruce, and leave the Sealed Set at home, where it belongs

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2011, 07:19:01 AM »

Yes, probably better to take your second set with you to be signed by Mike and Bruce, and leave the Sealed Set at home, where it belongs

Untouched. Locked up. In a safe.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2011, 07:29:45 AM »

Nah...Open it, get it on your ipod, Zune or other players, for your car, or workout and enjoy it!!!  LOL

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2011, 07:32:53 AM »

You got a safe? Or will you buy one especially for the SS box? Complete with humidor and mold desinfectant dispenser?

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2011, 07:42:44 AM »

Buried in a climate controlled capsule in a top-secret location.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2011, 07:45:51 AM »

I hope this is true. If it is, we should be having pre-orders within the week I should think.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2011, 08:58:18 AM »

I wish i could pre-order it now, I'm so excited for this release if this date for release is true!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2011, 09:10:30 AM »

I'll just buy it the day of release. I'd hate to have a situation where I have an order pending and everyone else is already listening as I wait for the package to arrive.

I'm very excited for this release, more for the "unheard" material and possibly new photos than anything else.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2011, 09:46:59 AM »

I'll just buy it the day of release. I'd hate to have a situation where I have an order pending and everyone else is already listening as I wait for the package to arrive.

I'm very excited for this release, more for the "unheard" material and possibly new photos than anything else.

Same here. I am blessed with two excellent, active record retailers. I am sure that I'll just have to hint, come release date, like: please keep one aside for me (or two, depending on my cash flow situation...).

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2011, 09:59:00 AM »

"The Smile Sessions will be available as a standard double CD or download and as an elaborate deluxe box set which will include four CDs, two vinyl LPs, two vinyl singles and a 60-page hardbound book written by Beach Boys historian Domenic Priore."

Unless Dom's seriously expanded his on his essay (or it's printed about 50 words to the page), that last part isn't entirely accurate.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2011, 10:03:44 AM »

My birthday's July 20th and my mommy still buys me big birthday presents... but I'm not sure if I can wait 8 days.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2011, 10:07:34 AM »

Got initially very excited till I realised July 12th is still long, long away.  LOL

Tracklist and artwork shouldn't be too far off

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2011, 10:12:16 AM »

Got initially very excited till I realised July 12th is still long, long away.  LOL

Tracklist and artwork shouldn't be too far off

You are some spoilt brat, Sir! I expected it to see the light of day around October (like AGD remarked, what with the Grammys). July is soon in my book.

BTW: although I'll get it anyway, I am quite curious about the retail price. Also that of the 2 disk version. If sales are to be on a reasonable level, the latter should go at midprice, methinks.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx