gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681549 Posts in 27642 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 12, 2024, 02:59:54 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: July 12, 2011  (Read 18758 times)
WWDWD?
Smiley Smile Associate

What would Dennis Wilson do?

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2011, 06:08:53 PM »

Interesting. One of my other favourites and another ex-Capitol band, Megadeth has a 5CD 3LP box set coming out on the same day. Maybe that is Capitol's designated deluxe box-set day. For those who share the same polarised taste in music as myself.... here is the amazon pre-order
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2011, 06:18:52 PM »

I'm getting married on July 9th. Too soon, push the release date back a month!

No worries, just bring the box set with you on your honeymoon and use it to kill the time. I'm sure she'll love that.

Me, I already told my boss I'm taking the day off when this behemoth is released. No way I'm ordering online; I MUST have it on day of release. My plan is to order it through a local record store (the mighty Sound Garden here in Baltimore) and drive there when doors open. Will probably buy the 2-disc version as well, depending on content/packaging.

Actually we're playing "Our Sweet Love" at the wedding. She's a fan as well which makes it easier to explain why I need THAT box set so badly. We've been together for almost 12 years and have a 10 year old son. She's cool with my BB obsession.  Wink

Put it on your list of wedding gifts Tongue I feel like congratulations are in order, Roger!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2011, 06:40:06 PM »

Put it on your list of wedding gifts Tongue I feel like congratulations are in order, Roger!

..........or a condolence card.

Just kidding, Roger!  Grin

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2011, 07:41:55 AM »

Me, I already told my boss I'm taking the day off when this behemoth is released.
How did you get that one through? "There's a nice record coming out this summer. The day it is released, I won't be coming in, okay?"

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2011, 07:46:50 AM »

Me, I already told my boss I'm taking the day off when this behemoth is released.
How did you get that one through? "There's a nice record coming out this summer. The day it is released, I won't be coming in, okay?"

LOL that's a nugget!

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2011, 12:40:53 PM »

As tempted as I would be to pre-order from Amazon, I'm in the same camp as the previous poster who worried about receiving it on time.  With my luck, that would be the one time where Amazon takes 2-3 weeks to get it to me, and in a chewed up condition which means I'll get to send it back for a replacement.  I'm looking at you, Miles Davis Complete Columbia Collection...

Thankfully, I have a local record store which I think I can count on.   And there's always Amoeba in Hollywood.

At one time I'd have just gone to Best Buy, but I can almost predict how the exchange will go:

Me:  So, I'm looking for SMiLE by the Beach Boys, but I can't find it anywhere on the shelf.

BB Employee:  Uh, you're looking to smile?

Me: No, I'm looking for a copy of SMiLE by the Beach Boys.

BB Employee:  Uh, I don't understand what you're looking for.

Me: (more frustrated)  I'm looking for a copy of the album "SMiLE" by the group, "The Beach Boys."  Today is the release date.  Do you have it?

BB Employee:  Uh, who are the Beach Boys?  Wait a minute, didn't they do like, that song Kokomo?  Why would you want an album by them?

Me:  (ready to kill said employee) It's actually a box set.

BB Employee:  So you're looking for a box set of Kokomo songs?

Me:  Look, do you have it or not?

Employee furiously tries looking in the computer.

BB Employee:  Uh, I guess you're right...Today is the release date.  But we don't have any.   Why don't you just go to I-tunes and download it?  Nobody listens to CD's anymore.

Oh, so it's not just my local Best Buy where the employees seem to be clueless?  Sheesh, I can just imagine what would happen if I tried to score a boxed set there:

Me: Ok, one more time.....it's the Beach Boys SMiLE sessions boxed set [I'm speaking very slowly here.  I have to.]  It contains the music on both cds and vinyl.

BB: Oh, vinyl?  Like in vinyl siding?  You need to go down to Home Depot then.

Me: No, dipstick, I'm talking about Lps.  Lps!!!!

BB: Oh, you mean like L.P. siding?  That pressboard stuff?  That would be Home Depot again.

Me:  Why do you work HERE and not at HOME DEPOT? 

BB:  I really don't know anything about building materials.  I'm more about music and entertainment.

Me:  **** this!  Why the **** did I ever come in here in the first ****ing place!!!!   ****! ****!!!!! ****!!!!!!!!!!
Hi guys, I'm new to the board here. 

I used to go to Best Buy as well for new releases and I would not only get the same clueless employees, but I used to post "skits" like this on other message boards that were the true re-inactments of what happened.  It's one of the things that makes me yearn for the old record stores that I used to frequent in the 80's and 90's.  I can't even remember the last CD I bought in a store.  Oh wait... the Beatles remasters in 2009!

As for July 12th, my girlfriend still wants to know what I want for my birthday which was April 4th.  I guess the SMiLE box will work for me.
rogerlancelot
« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2011, 01:05:50 PM »

I'm getting married on July 9th. Too soon, push the release date back a month!

No worries, just bring the box set with you on your honeymoon and use it to kill the time. I'm sure she'll love that.

Me, I already told my boss I'm taking the day off when this behemoth is released. No way I'm ordering online; I MUST have it on day of release. My plan is to order it through a local record store (the mighty Sound Garden here in Baltimore) and drive there when doors open. Will probably buy the 2-disc version as well, depending on content/packaging.

Thanks. We'll be listening to it on the long ride from Louisiana to Las Vegas! That is providing the U-Haul has a cd player of course.....

Actually we're playing "Our Sweet Love" at the wedding. She's a fan as well which makes it easier to explain why I need THAT box set so badly. We've been together for almost 12 years and have a 10 year old son. She's cool with my BB obsession.  Wink

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2011, 01:09:50 PM »

As tempted as I would be to pre-order from Amazon, I'm in the same camp as the previous poster who worried about receiving it on time.  With my luck, that would be the one time where Amazon takes 2-3 weeks to get it to me, and in a chewed up condition which means I'll get to send it back for a replacement.  I'm looking at you, Miles Davis Complete Columbia Collection...

Thankfully, I have a local record store which I think I can count on.   And there's always Amoeba in Hollywood.

At one time I'd have just gone to Best Buy, but I can almost predict how the exchange will go:

Me:  So, I'm looking for SMiLE by the Beach Boys, but I can't find it anywhere on the shelf.

BB Employee:  Uh, you're looking to smile?

Me: No, I'm looking for a copy of SMiLE by the Beach Boys.

BB Employee:  Uh, I don't understand what you're looking for.

Me: (more frustrated)  I'm looking for a copy of the album "SMiLE" by the group, "The Beach Boys."  Today is the release date.  Do you have it?

BB Employee:  Uh, who are the Beach Boys?  Wait a minute, didn't they do like, that song Kokomo?  Why would you want an album by them?

Me:  (ready to kill said employee) It's actually a box set.

BB Employee:  So you're looking for a box set of Kokomo songs?

Me:  Look, do you have it or not?

Employee furiously tries looking in the computer.

BB Employee:  Uh, I guess you're right...Today is the release date.  But we don't have any.   Why don't you just go to I-tunes and download it?  Nobody listens to CD's anymore.

Nearly the same thing happened to me with purchasing BWRG....only the guy said "the computer says it's in stock, but we can't find it in the stock-room,"

The people who work at these stores are idiots....I mean, complete idiots. Back when Circuit City was still around: I was looking for a best of Cream album...after 30 minutes of searching through their CD section (which looked like ground zero at Hiroshima) a salesman comes up and asks if I need help....I tell him I'm looking for where Cream would be stocked - and the guy looked at me like I was actually talking about the dairy product. No clue who Cream was.
____

I've never had a problem with Amazon shipping (and I buy from there constantly) - so the odds are probably very good that I'll receive the boxset 2-3 weeks late damaged beyond repair.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Jason
« Reply #58 on: April 28, 2011, 01:22:29 PM »

July 12, 2011? I thought it was May 21, 2011.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2011, 04:07:13 PM »

And yet, I'm happy to report I had a really GOOD experience, back on June 17, 2008, when I walked into my local Borders store.  After a couple of minutes looking for the POB/Bambu Legacy Edition, a helpful young stocking girl asked if she could help me.  I told her what I was looking for, and she knew right where it was on her stock cart.  There's someone who knows her business!
pancakerecords
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2011, 04:58:51 PM »

And yet, I'm happy to report I had a really GOOD experience, back on June 17, 2008, when I walked into my local Borders store.  After a couple of minutes looking for the POB/Bambu Legacy Edition, a helpful young stocking girl asked if she could help me.  I told her what I was looking for, and she knew right where it was on her stock cart.  There's someone who knows her business!

And a company going out of business...

I'll be getting mine here - I guarantee they'll know all about it.  I'll go to Best Buy when I need a new washing machine.

http://www.vvinyl.com/

"Alright, I wanna ask you something - he's not getting a very big signal.  Do you think it would be good to move the mic a little bit closer?"
                                                                                           -Van Dyke Parks
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2011, 09:54:39 PM »

Not believing this date anymore till I see it in a press release

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
bsten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2011, 11:23:26 PM »

Here's a "special edition" w/track list (click on back of cd) - the official 2 cd set?

http://www.amazon.com/Smile-Second-Beach-Boys/dp/B0018CB95Y/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1303926975&sr=8-18

"Second edition"Huh When was the first edition out? Another "Shut down vol 2"?? Wink

And here's another link with release date:

http://cdon.eu/music/beach_boys/the_smile_sessions_-_box_set-14166753

/B

« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 12:09:45 AM by bsten » Logged
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2011, 12:14:09 AM »

Here's a "special edition" w/track list (click on back of cd) - the official 2 cd set?

http://www.amazon.com/Smile-Second-Beach-Boys/dp/B0018CB95Y/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1303926975&sr=8-18

"Second edition"Huh When was the first edition out? Another "Shut down vol 2"?? Wink

It's strange to see a boot listed on Amazon, but it happens occasionally, and clearly did in that case.  Through the Amazon marketplace feature, it's possible for independent sellers to list stuff like that occasionally.  Of course, it's removed if noticed by any of the powers that be.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: April 29, 2011, 01:29:51 AM »

Or as the site has it, "Temporary releasedate: 2011-07-11" - that said, no-one's shot it down yet. Dunno... I still feel it's a tad early for all the existing situations to have been satisfactorily resolved.

But then, what do I know ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 29, 2011, 01:51:22 AM »

That site's been plugging that date since at least April 12:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,10169.msg182156.html#msg182156

« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 05:11:46 AM by Wee Helper » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
WWDWD?
Smiley Smile Associate

What would Dennis Wilson do?

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 29, 2011, 04:45:13 AM »

When I was about 17 I bought the Live at the Roxy CD. As I handed it over to the even younger girl at the counter, she looked at me weird and said...
"Is this for, um, your dad or something?".
"No... it's for me"
"Oh"
"Yeah"
"Really?"
"Yeah"

Just great!
bsten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2011, 04:49:44 AM »

It's strange to see a boot listed on Amazon, but it happens occasionally, and clearly did in that case.  Through the Amazon marketplace feature, it's possible for independent sellers to list stuff like that occasionally.  Of course, it's removed if noticed by any of the powers that be.

Yikes - who wants boots... ;P
bsten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 29, 2011, 04:58:25 AM »

Thanks for the link!!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 29, 2011, 05:05:46 AM »

Yea. Anyone selling, or being in the possession of, illegal recordings, should be shot. My two cents.

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 29, 2011, 06:19:41 AM »

Yea. Anyone selling, or being in the possession of, illegal recordings, should be shot. My two cents.

But only after they have passed said boots over to me for, erm, safekeeping.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 29, 2011, 06:25:08 AM »

Exactly! What this country needs is a reliable and churchgoing person who can safekeep counterfeit material!

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2011, 07:01:54 AM »

It's strange to see a boot listed on Amazon, but it happens occasionally, and clearly did in that case.  Through the Amazon marketplace feature, it's possible for independent sellers to list stuff like that occasionally.  Of course, it's removed if noticed by any of the powers that be.

Exactly! What this country needs is a reliable and churchgoing person who can safekeep counterfeit material!

I thought we were talking boots, not counterfeits
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 10:36:34 AM by bgas » Logged

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 29, 2011, 10:17:05 AM »

Or as the site has it, "Temporary releasedate: 2011-07-11" - that said, no-one's shot it down yet. Dunno... I still feel it's a tad early for all the existing situations to have been satisfactorily resolved.

But then, what do I know ?

No release date has been set as of yet. That comes from EMI.
letsmakeit31
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 29, 2011, 10:22:05 AM »

PLEASE let it be around autumn time EMI at least by then I would of saved what little pennies I could get Sad
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx