gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680779 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 05:28:44 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 ... 44 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Beach Boys release will make you 'SMiLE'  (Read 191006 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #850 on: March 01, 2011, 05:51:12 PM »

I think a fellow poster said it best (when Brian's camp announced the release date for BWRG) saying "I have no reason to live for the next 3 months" - I'll be anxiously waiting for the day I finally have a remastered recording of 'Holidays', 'Look!', and 'Do You Dig Worms'.

This question has probably been asked in the previous 33 pages, but what are the chances we will get a mono mix in addition to the stereo mix in this set (like they did with Pet Sounds Sessions)?

Considering what turned up on the GV box, I was going to ask what the chances are of getting a stereo mix in addition to the mono mix?

I just figured the majority of the SMiLE set would be in stereo considering the Pet Sounds Sessions tracks were all in stereo - save the one bonus mono disc. It will be interesting to see what format they use.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Austin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #851 on: March 01, 2011, 07:32:16 PM »

If they're completed BW mono mixes, then bring it. Otherwise, I'll take stereo. Correct me if I'm wrong, but all the mono mixes that were on the PS box set were either Brian's original mixes, or alternate/working mixes that didn't have enough stems to make stereo versions out of.

But mixing anything on this upcoming set in mono where stereo is possible would strike me as a bit silly. This isn't 1966 -- mixing technology is way beyond what it was 45 years ago, and Brian (presumably) won't be doing the mixing, so why pretend to make something it isn't?
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #852 on: March 01, 2011, 07:52:48 PM »

I think the majority of the songs would sound good in proper stereo. But songs like 'Holidays', 'I Wanna Be Around/Workshop', 'Barnyard', 'Windchimes', and 'Wonderful' (especially wonderful) have so few instruments in them that it would sound rather silly to have them in stereo...it would end up sounding like the recent Beatles stereo remasters - and those are terrible.

I hope they give us all stereo studio highlights, all stereo tracks, and a bonus disc of mono tracks.

EDIT: on second thought, proper stereo masters for 'Holidays' and 'Windchimes' would probably sound really good.

I implore everyone here to find a copy of the Wrightfan/Warnakey mono mix of SMiLE....such a great mix.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 07:56:30 PM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #853 on: March 01, 2011, 08:09:35 PM »

To be fair, Brian never was big on mixing anyways, was he?  I've always heard that his mix of Pet Sounds was rushed and just kind of an afterthought almost to the work that he put in recording the album. 
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #854 on: March 01, 2011, 10:18:00 PM »

To be fair, Brian never was big on mixing anyways, was he?  I've always heard that his mix of Pet Sounds was rushed and just kind of an afterthought almost to the work that he put in recording the album. 

Yep, it was apparently done very haphazardly, all kinds of unintended noises and such.  So bad that they made him go back and clean it up. 

After learning that, it's a bit funny to read Anderle saying that on Pet Sounds, Brian was "a man who really cared about his mixes" (or something to that effect), when comparing to the rougher sound of Wild Honey.  Like you alluded to in another thread, Ron, Brian probably didn't think about mixing that much after the recording was done because he figured that he had done all the necessary balancing of voices and instruments during the recording process.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #855 on: March 01, 2011, 11:55:06 PM »

God Everyday I come on here thinking "is today the day? is today the official announcement?"

Also, can we talk about what the title "I Love To Say Da Da" means? Does anybody have any idea where that came from? It's been pointed out that it has the letters LSD in order, but that seems like a stretch because of the fact that there are two 'd's. The title had to have had some meaning to Brian, some reason why it piqued his interest. What is Da Da?

One more thing, does anybody remember the story of Brian's meeting with Thomas Pynchon? Didn't one of the Vosse Posse bring Pynchon to Smile-era party to listen to Brian's acetates? I've been reading Pynchon's Vineland, which is about 60s pop culture nostalgia, and I couldn't help but remember something about Wilson and Pynchon not getting along or something.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 12:33:44 AM by Fishmonk » Logged

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #856 on: March 02, 2011, 12:31:37 AM »

God Everyday I come on here thinking "is today the day? is today the official announcement?"

Also, can we talk about what the title "I Love To Say Da Da" means? Does anybody have any idea where that came from? It's been pointed out that it has the letters LSD in order, but that seems like a stretch because of the face that there are two 'd's. The title had to have had some meaning to Brian, some reason why it piqued his interest. What is Da Da?

One more thing, does anybody remember the story of Brian's meeting with Thomas Pynchon? Didn't one of the Vosse Posse bring Pynchon to Smile-era party to listen to Brian's acetates? I've been reading Pynchon's Vineland, which is about the 60s pop culture nostalgia, and I couldn't help but remember something about Wilson and Pynchon not getting along or something.

I've always thought that the title "I Love To Say Da Da" was an extension of Brian's childhood/innocence theme that was fairly pervasive in his work at that time (as the second movement of BWPS very aptly demonstrates).  I doubt it would have been the actual song title once the song was completed, but damn if Brian didn't come up with some cool working titles for Smile songs!

All I remember about the Pynchon story was that it was told in an interview with either Anderle or Vosse, and that Brian either didn't like him or was intimidated by him.  I don't remember which it was (I'm inclined to say the latter), but either way, it wasn't a pleasant meeting.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #857 on: March 02, 2011, 01:40:11 AM »

Also, can we talk about what the title "I Love To Say Da Da" means? Does anybody have any idea where that came from? It's been pointed out that it has the letters LSD in order, but that seems like a stretch because of the fact that there are two 'd's. The title had to have had some meaning to Brian, some reason why it piqued his interest. What is Da Da?

One more thing, does anybody remember the story of Brian's meeting with Thomas Pynchon? Didn't one of the Vosse Posse bring Pynchon to Smile-era party to listen to Brian's acetates? I've been reading Pynchon's Vineland, which is about 60s pop culture nostalgia, and I couldn't help but remember something about Wilson and Pynchon not getting along or something.

Here's some info about the meeting with Pynchon:

http://www.thomaspynchon.com/gravitys-rainbow/extra/siegel.html

And I agree with Chris Brown that Love To Say Dada is an interesting title as it says more about childhood/parenthood than water. I commented earlier in this thread (I think) that a session for Dada on the Secret Smile boot moves into another section after the 2nd part, and this 3rd section is very similar sounding to parts of Child Is Father To The Man (specifically the piano only version , where they sound like they're singing "Wood Chuck"). This, combined with the suggestive title, makes me wonder if Love To Say Dada was in some way connected to Child.

If this smile release is going to happen, isn't it likely that Brian would release his Disney album first before allowing any announcements to be made about Smile, for fear that the latter might overshadow the former? I can't remember how it worked for BWPS vs GIOMH but wasn't GIOMH released first?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 01:46:04 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
BJL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #858 on: March 02, 2011, 01:50:17 AM »

Dada was also a major contemporary art movement in the earlier part of the 20th century, enough so that, especially given the circles he was floating in at the time, Brian may have known the reference.  The dada movement was about humor, rejecting the violence and insanity of modern life, and deconstructing ideas about what art was supposed to be.  Duchamp's famous urinal is a good example.  Smile is not exactly dadaist, but its a reference that would make a degree of sense. 
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #859 on: March 02, 2011, 02:05:20 AM »

If this smile release is going to happen, isn't it likely that Brian would release his Disney album first before allowing any announcements to be made about Smile, for fear that the latter might overshadow the former? I can't remember how it worked for BWPS vs GIOMH but wasn't GIOMH released first?

TLOS - sessions end 4/07, released 9/07
BWRG - sessions end 2/10, released 9/10

I'd say you're looking at a release date for BWRD of August, September.

GIOMH was released 6/04 (three months before BWPS), but of course there was a good reason for that.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #860 on: March 02, 2011, 02:42:42 AM »

I believe that Pynchon story came from Jules Siegel.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
letsmakeit31
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #861 on: March 02, 2011, 06:48:03 AM »

Sorry if this is said before in this thread, But hasn't most of the Smile tracks been already out offically in mono via the Good Vibrations Box set in 93??. Only a couple of tracks are missing from the box set e.g. Fire, CITFTTM, Old Master Painter.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #862 on: March 02, 2011, 07:08:50 AM »

Aye, but some of us here would like to hear all 54,334 takes of George Fell Into His French Horn in stereo and mono and quad, with every false start, every three minute and seven minute edit... foder, I even want the 1978 disco mix of George...!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 07:10:06 AM by Wee Helper » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
letsmakeit31
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #863 on: March 02, 2011, 07:28:07 AM »

Aye, but some of us here would like to hear all 54,334 takes of George Fell Into His French Horn in stereo and mono and quad, with every false start, every three minute and seven minute edit... foder, I even want the 1978 disco mix of George...!
Ha ha, This is something we all want to hear!!! Can't wait to hear the 1978 disco mix LOL If we can't then we will all have to make our own edit's  Tongue
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #864 on: March 02, 2011, 08:11:13 AM »

Seriously doubt this release is going to happen  Undecided

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #865 on: March 02, 2011, 10:02:25 AM »

you're wrong

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #866 on: March 02, 2011, 10:23:25 AM »

you're wrong

Right-O! Sorry for you, Shady, but 1671 SSnet fans can't be wrong!

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #867 on: March 02, 2011, 10:24:31 AM »

They're kinda running out of exciting ideas to release, so I can see this happening.  No way in hell they'd release that 78 if they didn't have something planned.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #868 on: March 02, 2011, 10:27:45 AM »

They're kinda running out of exciting ideas to release, so I can see this happening.  No way in hell they'd release that 78 if they didn't have something planned.

So being asked to contribute to Record Store Day had nothing to do with it ?  Roll Eyes  It's possible we're all reading too much into three words on a piece of brown paper.

Of course, it's also possible we're not.  Head Spin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
king of anglia
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #869 on: March 02, 2011, 10:30:00 AM »

Anyone know why Frank Holmes' site and email is down?
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #870 on: March 02, 2011, 10:38:11 AM »

Anyone know why Frank Holmes' site and email is down?

Frank had been selling Smile art prints from that site.  It's been down for months.

Rhetorical question... Has Capitol finally paid him so they have the rights to the original cover/booklet art?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 10:40:22 AM by juggler » Logged
king of anglia
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #871 on: March 02, 2011, 10:41:43 AM »

That's what I was thinking. His email's gone down too though.
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #872 on: March 02, 2011, 10:43:25 AM »

And I agree with Chris Brown that Love To Say Dada is an interesting title as it says more about childhood/parenthood than water. I commented earlier in this thread (I think) that a session for Dada on the Secret Smile boot moves into another section after the 2nd part, and this 3rd section is very similar sounding to parts of Child Is Father To The Man (specifically the piano only version , where they sound like they're singing "Wood Chuck"). This, combined with the suggestive title, makes me wonder if Love To Say Dada was in some way connected to Child.

Again, you have to look at when DaDa was recorded, and when other Smile tracks were recorded.   In April, BW was recording Vegetables and a new CIFOTM for a possible single release.  DaDa was recorded in May.  I don't think anyone knows why, but it seems far more likely that it would be connected to Child and/or Vegetables than that it would have anything to do with water, given that work on The Elements had stopped months earlier and that it had already been announced that Smile was scrapped.  The ongoing insistence of many that DaDa = water just amazes me.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #873 on: March 02, 2011, 11:39:55 AM »

Dada was also a major contemporary art movement in the earlier part of the 20th century, enough so that, especially given the circles he was floating in at the time, Brian may have known the reference.  The dada movement was about humor, rejecting the violence and insanity of modern life, and deconstructing ideas about what art was supposed to be.  Duchamp's famous urinal is a good example.  Smile is not exactly dadaist, but its a reference that would make a degree of sense. 

I have to agree with the Duchamp reference, as far as the Dada movement - the absurdity of painting a moustache on the Mona Lisa seems to have been something that Brian would have found humorous, or maybe he never even saw Duchamp, who knows...I just think the absurd nature of the Dada art was in line with Brian's concept of absurd humor at that time.

The interesting part of this is how I think someone like Van Dyke, who was more educated in the world of art, or even Anderle, who was an artist himself, would have introduced Brian to some of those things which you might get while studying art but not growing up in Hawthorne than hitting the road as a professional musician. I thought mentioning Dada as an obscure play on words sounded like classic Van Dyke Parks. Brian's working titles were more along the lines of "Carol K" or "Your Ass Is Grass And I'm A Lawnmower" just a year or so before Smile.

I compare it to how Paul McCartney was introduced to a lot of the art and literature he would claim as an influence through Jane Asher's family, who were into the fine arts. I could be WAY off on this.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #874 on: March 02, 2011, 12:13:37 PM »

So being asked to contribute to Record Store Day had nothing to do with it ?  Roll Eyes  It's possible we're all reading too much into three words on a piece of brown paper.

Of course, it's also possible we're not.  Head Spin

I'm rolling my eyes at you in real life, as opposed to a emoticon.  Smiley
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 ... 44 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx