gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681411 Posts in 27636 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 05, 2024, 09:11:27 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 44 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Beach Boys release will make you 'SMiLE'  (Read 192489 times)
XY
« Reply #225 on: February 06, 2011, 08:10:50 AM »

There must be the one or other unbooted gem in the vaults. Surprising really that nothing from the session with Paul McCartney turned up yet. At least a bit of studio chatter. Or was nothing recorded?
Or the 1967 remake of "False Barnyard", when Carl sang live with the Wrecking Crew. All that is available is the talking between takes.
And perhaps there was more work done after the SMiLE sessions than it's believed. After all, a SMiLE song or segment found it's way on every BB record 'til the announcement of a release in 1972. That was the real end. And didn't Bruce work on "Do You Like Worms?" in the late 70's?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 08:11:50 AM by Jasper » Logged
armona
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: February 06, 2011, 08:30:56 AM »

Already being discussed in another thread:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,9845.0.html
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: February 06, 2011, 08:38:33 AM »

Thanks Chris Moise, Million Units, Jasper, Cam(us)and others for the responses.

If this new SMiLE comp is anything close to the sound quality of the SOT 16-17 set, it'll be very nice. Always thought when they came out that the Japanese T2580 disc and the Vigotone and Purple Chick issues set the bar towards an eventual legit SMiLE release. 

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: February 06, 2011, 09:11:22 AM »

This may have been covered somewhere else already, but what do we know that exists that has NOT been included on bootlegs since 1978? A three minute version of "Child Is Father To The Man"? Or the same with vocals?

To answer your question directly, a finished 3-minute edited backing track for "The Child Is Father Of The Man" was found in the vault and was considered for release on the ENDLESS HARMONY soundtrack as well as HAWTHORNE, CA. Obviously, it didn't make the cut. Close to a decade ago, I asked Mr. Boyd if there were any vocals and he replied "no", that it was just the backing track; it featured sections that had been booted but edited (by Brian in '66/'67) in a specific order. He didn't want to reveal the segments or the order it was edited in since that would "spoil the fun" if the track saw an eventual release. I asked if the available chorus vocals could be synched up to the backing track and he replied it was possible, but wouldn't consider it a likely option since he felt an archival release should be presented as such without attempts made to create things not found on the original tapes.

We know some folks on this board have heard the backing track (I haven't), but my understanding is that, apart from the chorus, no additional vocals were ever found (which makes sense given that Parks needed to write new verse lyrics for the song in '03).
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 09:12:42 AM by Roger Ryan » Logged
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: February 06, 2011, 09:17:41 AM »

Is this the version that is on Secret Smile? I would kind of like the BV's added on just becaus of how super awesome they are. Maybe if there was an "alternate versions" CD that was included, they could synch them up.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 09:22:41 AM by noname » Logged
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: February 06, 2011, 09:29:17 AM »

Is this the version that is on Secret Smile? I would kind of like the BV's added on just becaus of how super awesome they are. Maybe if there was an "alternate versions" CD that was included, they could synch them up.

I wouldn't know, but it wouldn't surprise me that the track finally leaked out. Something to keep in mind for those who have heard all the boots: chances are that we will be getting less in an official release, not more. For me, context is everything and that's what I'm looking forward to.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 09:36:57 AM by Roger Ryan » Logged
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: February 06, 2011, 09:36:18 AM »

I agree...If it is like the Pet Sounds box set I will be super happy...lots more stuff on the bootleg circuit, but the set is pristine. I'm still drooling over it. Hell I took it out again last night just to look through the books because I am that excited for this SMiLE! whatever we are getting.

I am really looking forward to the quality of the music...what is often out there isn't that swell compared to the real deal. As Jasper said earlier, there may be something or another that has gone under the radar...I will keep an open mind.

What's the odds it is all 66/67? Could there be some stuff that was worked on until 72, or the Bruce tinkered Worms? Alternate versions CD, puhleeaase!!!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #232 on: February 06, 2011, 09:53:18 AM »

This may have been covered somewhere else already, but what do we know that exists that has NOT been included on bootlegs since 1978? A three minute version of "Child Is Father To The Man"? Or the same with vocals?

To answer your question directly, a finished 3-minute edited backing track for "The Child Is Father Of The Man" was found in the vault and was considered for release on the ENDLESS HARMONY soundtrack as well as HAWTHORNE, CA. Obviously, it didn't make the cut. Close to a decade ago, I asked Mr. Boyd if there were any vocals and he replied "no", that it was just the backing track; it featured sections that had been booted but edited (by Brian in '66/'67) in a specific order. He didn't want to reveal the segments or the order it was edited in since that would "spoil the fun" if the track saw an eventual release. I asked if the available chorus vocals could be synched up to the backing track and he replied it was possible, but wouldn't consider it a likely option since he felt an archival release should be presented as such without attempts made to create things not found on the original tapes.

We know some folks on this board have heard the backing track (I haven't), but my understanding is that, apart from the chorus, no additional vocals were ever found (which makes sense given that Parks needed to write new verse lyrics for the song in '03).

Brian's edit and mono mix of this track is dated 11/66, and IMHO, it stands alone, sans vocals, as a primo example of Brian's creativity during this period. Synching vocals would achieve nothing other than to prove it can be done.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #233 on: February 06, 2011, 09:57:40 AM »

I agree...If it is like the Pet Sounds box set I will be super happy...lots more stuff on the bootleg circuit, but the set is pristine. I'm still drooling over it. Hell I took it out again last night just to look through the books because I am that excited for this SMiLE! whatever we are getting.

I am really looking forward to the quality of the music...what is often out there isn't that swell compared to the real deal. As Jasper said earlier, there may be something or another that has gone under the radar...I will keep an open mind.

What's the odds it is all 66/67? Could there be some stuff that was worked on until 72, or the Bruce tinkered Worms? Alternate versions CD, puhleeaase!!!

My understanding is that Carl & Steve Desper took the tapes out of the vault in 1972, listened to them, shook their heads, made safeties and put them back in the boxes. No additional recording was done. Some additional work was done on "Been Way Too Long"  in 1980 (2/11 at Rumbo).

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 06, 2011, 10:10:19 AM »

Thanks, Roger!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 06, 2011, 10:31:01 AM »

My understanding is that Carl & Steve Desper took the tapes out of the vault in 1972, listened to them, shook their heads, made safeties and put them back in the boxes. No additional recording was done. Some additional work was done on "Been Way Too Long"  in 1980 (2/11 at Rumbo).

I gotta ask, why does "When Girls Get Together" get pulled out of the vault and released, but "Do You Like Worms" and "Can't Wait Too Long" get taken out, but then stay unreleased? Why Brian against both? Or did they just realize releasing songs like those would make tracks like "Sumahuma" and "Some Of Your Love" seem even more embarassing?
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: February 06, 2011, 10:36:52 AM »

The simple answer is that The Beach Boys are criminally insane.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #237 on: February 06, 2011, 10:37:55 AM »

I gotta ask, why does "When Girls Get Together" get pulled out of the vault and released, but "Do You Like Worms" and "Can't Wait Too Long" get taken out, but then stay unreleased? Why Brian against both? Or did they just realize releasing songs like those would make tracks like "Sumahuma" and "Some Of Your Love" seem even more embarassing?

I think they needed a BW vocal, even as a duet.

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: February 06, 2011, 10:49:25 AM »

I wouldn't mind seeing a bonus DVD within the package containing both archive and contemporary interviews with all the players in the Smile saga, esp Van Dyke Parks.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #239 on: February 06, 2011, 11:03:51 AM »

Although I don't think it'll happen, I'd like to see a bonus disc with liveversions of Smile-songs the BBs did record over the years (unreleased ones of course)

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: February 06, 2011, 11:06:13 AM »

Although I don't think it'll happen, I'd like to see a bonus disc with liveversions of Smile-songs the BBs did record over the years (unreleased ones of course)

No, but like with the Good Vibrations Boxset I'm sure that they'll add plenty of goodies like this on a bonus disc.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #241 on: February 06, 2011, 11:22:36 AM »

I wish I could be so sure.
A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #242 on: February 06, 2011, 11:29:29 AM »

Wasn't there something years ago about some unheard of vocals showing up on some song due to 'tape bleed' from somebody's headphones? I believe it was CIFOTM. Brian erased the vocals for whatever reason, but you could still faintly hear them on a backing track? I know I read that somewhere, maybe on old SMiLE board....
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #243 on: February 06, 2011, 11:54:51 AM »

Wasn't there something years ago about some unheard of vocals showing up on some song due to 'tape bleed' from somebody's headphones? I believe it was CIFOTM. Brian erased the vocals for whatever reason, but you could still faintly hear them on a backing track? I know I read that somewhere, maybe on old SMiLE board....

That was something Darian heard while researching BWPS. Not sure it was vocals, though, but my memory is hazy on that point.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: February 06, 2011, 11:57:20 AM »

That was something Darian heard while researching BWPS. Not sure it was vocals, though, but my memory is hazy on that point.

I remember it being a clarinet reciting the same melody as the lead vocals that Darian heard - I think. I'm also hazy on this....

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
armona
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: February 06, 2011, 12:05:18 PM »

Probably heard it from this article:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct04/articles/smile.htm

As well as assembling existing material in a coherent order, Darian and Brian did their best to use all the available sources from the period. A poor-quality 1966 tape of Brian playing an early version of 'Heroes And Villains' supplied lyrics for two numbers, 'I'm In Great Shape' and 'Barnyard'. And while listening to the multitracks for the song 'Child Is Father Of The Man', Darian soloed a chorus lead vocal by Brian's late brother Carl and made discoveries which were later incorporated into the finished arrangements. Mark Linett explains: "When he's not singing, you can hear faint background vocal parts that no longer exist on the multitrack. They must have been in his headphones, and were picked up by the vocal mic. It could be that Brian decided he didn't need them, or that he was going to re-record them, but never did. You hear this sort of stuff throughout the tapes."

I'd sure like to know which CIFOTM session these multitracks were from.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 12:08:42 PM by Tune X » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 06, 2011, 12:11:17 PM »

Jeesh, wonder why I thought it was a clarinet.

Virtually repeating what you quoted, but this is from an earcandy article by eric white:

"In conversation with him after the show, Sahanaja explained to me how he examined Carl Wilson's vocal on a multi-track of 'Child is Father of the Man' culled from the archives. He further isolated the headphone bleed from this track and was able to discern unheard backing tracks and vocal parts!"

http://www.earcandymag.com/smileliveRFH2-21-04.htm

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: February 06, 2011, 12:12:09 PM »

I heard a story about a clarinet, too - maybe that's for Look?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: February 06, 2011, 12:31:06 PM »

I heard a story about a clarinet, too - maybe that's for Look?

Thanks! I just checked Priore's book and Darian was referring to 'Look!' when talking about the clarinet bleed.

It's great to know we are able to hear vocals for CITFOTM...even faintly....perhaps this will be a bonus track on SMiLE 2011???

armona
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: February 06, 2011, 12:50:16 PM »

I certainly hope so. If Darian was listening to multitracks, the sound quality may be a quantum leap up from what is "out there" now for that song depending on which session tape he was listening to. There's excellent quality stuff that exists from the early sessions, but the stuff that has leaked out for the "final" version is all of relatively poor quality.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 12:54:20 PM by Tune X » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 44 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx