gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681103 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 23, 2024, 03:56:54 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: BWRG 2nd week - #53.  (Read 20700 times)
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2010, 09:48:43 AM »

Disney knows what they are doing. They have already bribed the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences. Once the "Album of the Year" award is presented "...Reimagines Gershwin" will soar back into the top ten over night.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2010, 10:16:06 AM »

One summer track as good as "Fun, Fun, Fun" to knock off Katy Perry and we'd care again.

No, we wouldn't. I can think of some folk who would, but Brian left 'summer tracks' behind him in 1968

I care. We had Midnight's Another Day. That had the edge. Lyrically OTT (too many metaphors piled in), but damn-near as essential as Surf's Up, and certainly up there with 'Til I Die, This Whole World and many other top flight Wilsonians.

Those are not 'summer tracks'.

Yes, aware -  I'm referring to Butch's reference to tuns that make us care; these are simply tunes (not specifically summer themed) that make me care about BW's output... to be frank the summer themes are incidental and that theme isn't a prerequisite of my caring about his output.

Hmm, doubting my own clarity now -  hope my point comes through... it's a bit muddy... like a summer puddle...

Personally I don't think Midnight is up there with 'Til I Die and This Whole World, not even close. It strikes me as an attempt to write a 'Til I Die-like song (especially in terms of the lyrics) and to my ears it even was mostly successful at that (loved the demo recording in particular), but it's still very different from Brian pouring his very heart out in a song such as the original 'Til I Die.

Yes, good points, it was a 'Til I Die wannabe, but undoubtedly one of the best BW songs for many years and I think transcended its lyrical quality.   In fact you;re probably right that it's not really up there with TID, but is indicative of the potential that remains.  I have faith!

“We live in divisive times.”
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2010, 10:23:40 AM »

I think "Soul searchin'" could've been just that song.

A good retro song, but  Brian should've moved on from that sort of stuff - and at his best, he still can.

I can imagine the Disney album being awful.  He can dress it up anyway he likes, but for a considerable percentage of the audience, Disney = twee sentimentality; a company that sold out years ago.  It'll be even worse if he does anything from the last 30 years... Maybe he should bring it out for Christmas...
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2010, 10:55:17 AM »

I don't know -- given the sales -- that we can assume Brian has an audience.

The Beach Boys have an audience. Gershwin has an audience. Disney tunes have an audience. Some of those audiences will occasionally buy a Brian Wilson record.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2010, 11:18:30 AM »

Stating the obvious but there's a huge leap between being a BB's 'hits' fan and wanting to hear a BW solo effort years after his prime. Even if you take a group with a still large contemporary audience like the 'Stones - Mick, Ronnie and Keef struggle to shift more than a thousand copies when they release a solo record. For someone to want to buy this album they most likely must have gone from "Endless Summer, to Pet Sounds, to Sunflower, through the 15BO's/Love You debacle, to the lesser late 70's stuff, touched upon the 80's crap and picked up on Bri's very hit and miss earlier solo efforts and still want more. That's a minefield that very few music fans are going to stick with all the way.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2010, 11:45:38 AM »

Although, I will say -- Smile and That Lucky Old Sun actually broke though here and there. A 23-year-old guy at my workplace actually owns TLOS -- and he knows none of the history. Interestingly enough, though, once I passed on some of the demos to him, he liked those better.

Thing is, though -- Smile was a really wasted opportunity if Brian had wanted to remain a relevant recording artist. That should have been followed up a year later with a super-strong album of originals, also on Nonesuch (which really knows how to package and market that kind of late-middle-age singer-songwriter stuff). Instead, he toured Smile for a year, put out a Christmas album, and the Smile "follow up" came four years later, clothed in a unneeded "concept album" costume.

Each time Brian has some momentum in the solo career -- 88, 95, 04 -- you can bet that something is going to push it aside. As a result, the man has no consistent audience for his solo work. People know who he is, but the people who picked up BW88, or IJWMFTT, or Smile -- these aren't the same people. He's never managed to string together two knockouts in a row -- like Bobby D. with Time out of Mind into Love and Theft -- that establish him as contemporary again to listeners or reviewers.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 11:51:06 AM by Wirestone » Logged
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2010, 02:55:49 PM »

If you enter the phrase "brian wilson reimagines gershwin" into Google, the list of suggested searches starts in this order

brian wilson reimagines gershwin
brian wilson reimagines gershwin torrents
brian wilson reimagines gershwin reviews
brian wilson reimagines gershwin mediafire
brian wilson reimagines gershwin rapidshare

Getting any sales figures out of #2-5?

(sorry to end the thread)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2010, 05:19:39 PM »

One summer track as good as "Fun, Fun, Fun" to knock off Katy Perry and we'd care again.

No, we wouldn't. I can think of some folk who would, but Brian left 'summer tracks' behind him in 1968

I care. We had Midnight's Another Day. That had the edge. Lyrically OTT (too many metaphors piled in), but damn-near as essential as Surf's Up, and certainly up there with 'Til I Die, This Whole World and many other top flight Wilsonians.

Those are not 'summer tracks'.

Yes, aware -  I'm referring to Butch's reference to tuns that make us care; these are simply tunes (not specifically summer themed) that make me care about BW's output... to be frank the summer themes are incidental and that theme isn't a prerequisite of my caring about his output.

Hmm, doubting my own clarity now -  hope my point comes through... it's a bit muddy... like a summer puddle...

I'd love to see Brian - or the BB... or both - chart with a cracking good, contemporary song, but the old sun/fun/cars/girls formula ain't gonna do it.

It *might*, but only if it's done right. Which, as we all know, is a HUGE "but".

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2010, 08:19:33 PM »

In the 16 Sept issue of Rolling Stone, the 'BUY THIS NOW" column in the reviews section includes 3 items, one of which is BWRG.

The store where I saw it had one well-hidden (formerly) copy of BWRG on the shelf.

The Best Buy across the road had one copy, behind some other stuff (not the Ash).
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 04, 2010, 01:14:21 AM »

If you enter the phrase "brian wilson reimagines gershwin" into Google, the list of suggested searches starts in this order

brian wilson reimagines gershwin
brian wilson reimagines gershwin torrents
brian wilson reimagines gershwin reviews
brian wilson reimagines gershwin mediafire
brian wilson reimagines gershwin rapidshare

Getting any sales figures out of #2-5?

(sorry to end the thread)

Might get some sales from 'reviews' since many of them are positive. A curious punter might read reviews having vageuly heard the album mentioned, then buy it.

I bet if you google the name of many albums the terms 'torrent' and 'rapidshare' appear after. Try it with whatever is number 1 today.

THere's even a chance that people will try before they buy....download MP3's illegally and then decide to buy the real thing.

The biggest problem would seem to be that the CD is not visible. People who are not die-hard Brian Wilson fans but who nonetheless might decide to buy it if they saw it.....cannot see it.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #60 on: September 04, 2010, 05:29:54 PM »

Why couldn't Brian stay at Capitol? They seemed happy to have him. Had press conference on tower to announce his return. Released him album in classy manner. Why does an artist of Brian's calibur have to hop from label to label like a cheap whore?
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 04, 2010, 06:15:54 PM »

1. Brian Wilson is not a mainstream pop musician. He's a musician for connoiseurs. His record sales aren't bad considering that. Is there any other artist with his profile selling that well? Don't say Dylan or Macca because they ARE mainstream. I know that fans want the whole world to appreciate what they know, but what we have isn't that bad: he's recording good music, singing great, and seemingly will keep on making music.

2. I think Brian's solo releases, with the sole exception of "Imagination" (nevertheless a weak recording), suffer from some fanboy over-information. His collaborators are fans, they know the catalogue and they like coming up with BW self-quotations. An extreme example is the whole of BWPS, but there's "self" quotation all over BW's solo music. And it's not legitimate self-quotation.

I mean: as every great artist, Brian IS auto-referential... the shortenin' bread riff, Proud Mary, the Spector sound, etc... But the Farmer's Daughter outro on IGR cannot be his idea... or this strange thought that tracks on a BW album must be linked as Smile was (fan)-supposed to be; that's what a fanboy musician working for him cares for. And on the whole, perhaps  a "beach boy" sounding cover of a Gershwin tune isn't his idea either.  Brian will always sound like Brian, that's for sure, but there's a degree of auto reference that isn't his. Heck, we end up dealing with a musical equivalent of Mike's permanent "vibrations" rhymes.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 04, 2010, 10:00:11 PM »

Why couldn't Brian stay at Capitol? They seemed happy to have him. Had press conference on tower to announce his return. Released him album in classy manner. Why does an artist of Brian's calibur have to hop from label to label like a cheap whore?

Album didn't sell that well. Deal was for one record only.

That's the way the business works these days, unfortunately.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 10:01:58 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 04, 2010, 11:41:21 PM »

I disagree with Dr. Lenny regarding Imagination. I don't think it was a weak album at all. If there's a weak solo album of the bunch, I think it would have to be "Gettin' In Over My Head".

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: September 05, 2010, 12:59:29 AM »

If the Disney deal goes as per contract, and I've reason to believe it will, it'll be the first time in Brian's solo career 1986-date that he's released back-to-back albums on the same label.  Thud

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 05, 2010, 07:34:09 AM »

I disagree with Dr. Lenny regarding Imagination. I don't think it was a weak album at all. If there's a weak solo album of the bunch, I think it would have to be "Gettin' In Over My Head".

Mikie, I agree with you in thinking that Imagination is a real "repeat listen" and I don't tend to skip around much.  It is lively and upbeat and has a "healthy and positive place" to put his grief over Carl with Lay Down Burden...

Whether it was a big seller is another story, but it was better promoted than this apparent disaster with no store displays, no TV promos, or appearances and now I wonder if AGD's thinking out loud might be correct in whether this is a tax write-off.  But, why would they do this to Brian?  What could be the motivation?  There is more here than meets the eye.  Unless Brian insisted on no TV promotion.  There is a real "disconnect" here. 

In the past, they have had Brian do CD "signings" with purchases in major book/music stores...     

Dr. Lenny - I don't agree with your "elitist and classicist" approach to Brian.  That could become a "self-fulfilling prophesy." Many of his fans are also "crossover" Beach Boys fans and concertgoers. 

His compositional work permeates every social strata in both American and even  many countries "out of the States" culture...I often hear "Pet Sounds" (instrumental) in the "decorating" segment of TV5 - the International French station, as well much of everything Beach Boys/Brian Wilson.  It is impossible to separate The Work from The Master.     

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 05, 2010, 08:21:10 AM »

Please stop using quotation marks. I'm begging you.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #67 on: September 05, 2010, 08:52:43 AM »

Nobody said you were 'An Atheist'. Is this 'true'?  Grin
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 05, 2010, 08:54:25 AM »

Yeah, Filledeplage, the board is in danger of shutting down!  

It's the teacher in her; all that correct punctuation and stuff.  Grin

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 05, 2010, 09:21:17 AM »

Yeah, Filledeplage, the board is in danger of shutting down!  

It's the teacher in her; all that correct punctuation and stuff.  Grin

Thanks, Babe!  Kiss  "Rock and Roller to the Rescue!"

http://jerz.setonhill.edu/writing/grammar/quotes/basic.htm

found under "Emphasis"  Wink

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 05, 2010, 10:10:34 AM »

Nope, because the quotes there imply you're being ironic. So, because I am, it is untrue. And filledeplage, no offense to you. Sorry--it's me, not you. But while quotation marks can be used not just to quote (but to show irony or maybe emphasis), such overuse distracts me. I get dizzy. I fall down. I hit my head. It's no good for anyone (especially me). Thanks in advance. Again, it's my problem, not yours. I'm just asking it as a favor.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 05, 2010, 11:00:16 AM »

Nope, because the quotes there imply you're being ironic. So, because I am, it is untrue. And filledeplage, no offense to you. Sorry--it's me, not you. But while quotation marks can be used not just to quote (but to show irony or maybe emphasis), such overuse distracts me. I get dizzy. I fall down. I hit my head. It's no good for anyone (especially me). Thanks in advance. Again, it's my problem, not yours. I'm just asking it as a favor.

Luther - Darlin' - it is not just for irony, it also denotes when it is an idea of a "certain time" or meaning that it is "someone else's" idea and not yours, you give the credit to the rightful creator or author, and for clarity, legally. 

My kids who are probably your age (1980's) don't understand it as well, because education was not emphasizing, in my humble opinion, the extreme need to make sure the lines don't get blurred with a concept known as "attribution" - read plagiarism, which got very out of control with the advent of the internet.

Attribution is also a legal concept in Copyright and Entertainment law, protected under the US Constitution.       

And, -  the temptation of things like Sparknotes (We used Cliffnotes, but "judiciously" - meaning we did the research, too) only made the problem worse.   People would lift (copy) entire sections, without using quotes as if the student would let the reader (the not-so-dumb teacher or professor) think it was their (the student) work;  not the original author. 

Colleges and universities are now zeroing in on this huge problem, by making students sign pledges.  (And, I still take courses to maintain my credentials and have to sign those "pledges.") e.g. "I pledge that the work is entirely my own..."     

And, it is style...Ever hear of e e cummings? 

Hope your head is not spinning!  Wink

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 05, 2010, 01:10:09 PM »

I'm still pretty happy how the albums going....

Sure It might not be high on the Billboard chart but it's still selling very well online on various sites..

Holding steady on amazon etc, let's hope for some deserved awards that might send it high again

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Paulos
« Reply #73 on: September 05, 2010, 03:07:39 PM »

It's the numer one jazz album apparently

http://www.billboard.com/#/charts/jazz-albums
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 03:10:13 PM by Paulos » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 05, 2010, 05:05:40 PM »

Luther - Darlin' - it is not just for irony, it also denotes when it is an idea of a "certain time" or meaning that it is "someone else's" idea and not yours, you give the credit to the rightful creator or author, and for clarity, legally. 

My kids who are probably your age (1980's) don't understand it as well, because education was not emphasizing, in my humble opinion, the extreme need to make sure the lines don't get blurred with a concept known as "attribution" - read plagiarism, which got very out of control with the advent of the internet.

Attribution is also a legal concept in Copyright and Entertainment law, protected under the US Constitution.       

And, -  the temptation of things like Sparknotes (We used Cliffnotes, but "judiciously" - meaning we did the research, too) only made the problem worse.   People would lift (copy) entire sections, without using quotes as if the student would let the reader (the not-so-dumb teacher or professor) think it was their (the student) work;  not the original author. 

Colleges and universities are now zeroing in on this huge problem, by making students sign pledges.  (And, I still take courses to maintain my credentials and have to sign those "pledges.") e.g. "I pledge that the work is entirely my own..."     

And, it is style...Ever hear of e e cummings? 

Hope your head is not spinning!  Wink

I appreciate you calling me darling. And I feel the same about you, precious. But please understand that I know what quotations are. I know when they ought to be used. And I "know" that "sometimes" people "use" them regardless of whether they are "quoting" someone else, just using "slang," perhaps being "ironic," or whatever other "reason" they may have. Seriously. It's agony. I try not to be a grammar nazi here, but I'm not kidding when I say it's dizzying to see a word that is neither quoted nor especially noteworthy in any other appropriate way in every sentence in quotation marks. It's not as if I don't know calling you out makes me look like an even bigger asshole than I am to the whole board, either. But I'm begging you anyway. "Stop" using "quotation marks" when they aren't "necessary."

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx