gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680783 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 09:17:18 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Al Jardine's "A Postcard From California"  (Read 40298 times)
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2010, 05:32:01 PM »

as of this writing al's lp is at position 258 on amazon's best selling list and number 25 on its classic rock chart.

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
kirt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2010, 06:23:34 AM »

Al's at number 10 in "best sellers in general" whatever that means...?

Go Big Al!
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2010, 08:53:28 AM »

Al Jardine's album is ranked #169 in Music bestsellers.

Brian Wilson's album is ranked #372.

What does this say?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2010, 09:07:29 AM »

That Mr. Jardine's album ranks 203 spots above Mr. Wilson's, and that neither is approaching major chart success at the moment.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2010, 09:19:20 AM »

What does this say?

It will be interesting to see where in ranks in about a week.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2010, 11:26:27 AM »

What does this say?
Dennis Wilson's POB Legacy edition was ranked #2 on Amazon on the day of its release in 2008...so it says both of them have a big climb to match that.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2010, 03:10:08 PM »

I had two albums ranked in amazon's top 40 best sellers, in 2008 and 2009.  It doesn't take as many sales to rank that highly as you might think it does.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2010, 12:59:11 AM »

I had two albums ranked in amazon's top 40 best sellers, in 2008 and 2009.  It doesn't take as many sales to rank that highly as you might think it does.

Now that amazes me, as in 2009 you were outselling The Beatles on amazon.com for a while.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2010, 06:13:20 AM »

Fair weather fans?

Mike's not a Hawthorne boy. The Hawthorne guys stuck together. The Wilsons and I always had a special bond. We felt like we were a team.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2010, 07:07:54 AM »

Wondering why Al's new version of "California Dreamin'" didn't make it on the album.  Not that we really needed another version of this, but the stripped down version with David Crosby assisting with vocals was kind of nice.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: June 28, 2010, 02:07:42 PM »

If you like Al Jardine, odds are you like his voice, his folky-folksy sound with occasional quirky production, or are intrigued by elves.
LOL

adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 28, 2010, 04:30:12 PM »

Now that amazes me, as in 2009 you were outselling The Beatles on amazon.com for a while.

...for a day or two.  Now I'm back to covering them!  Smiley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2010, 02:27:07 AM »

Downloaded it this morning... well worth Ł7 to hear Alan's voice alone - it's astonishing to think he's 68 this September. But that's not all, there are many other nice touches. Perhaps oddly, the track I'll end up playing least will almost certainly be his reimagining of "Rhonda": sorry, doesn't work for me. Much prefer the rejigged "California Saga" with Neil Young as close to tuneful as he's been for several decades. I'll post my extended thoughts here later, but one observation I have to make - sweet as the whole song is, the intro to "San Simeon" is close enough to the intro melody of "Don't Worry, Baby" to make even Brian go "hmmmmmmmmmm..."  Smiley

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2010, 06:37:07 AM »

Could anyone post the guestlist and who is on which track? Would be great.
The samples sound very good. Will buy it properly on the weekend when I'm at home

Cool time for Beach Boys-fans. New Brian-track, Alan's album.... what's next? Wink

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: June 29, 2010, 06:47:38 AM »

The samples sound very good. Will buy it properly on the weekend when I'm at home

Cool time for Beach Boys-fans. New Brian-track, Alan's album.... what's next? Wink

World peace, of course. And candy bars.  w00t!

Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 29, 2010, 06:57:42 AM »

The downloaded version from iTunes includes the digital booklet / liner notes which are a nice touch.

FYI, there is no Dennis on the disc - the credits for DFTS include Carl, Brian, Mike, Bruce, Ed Carter, Mike Meros and Bobby Figueroa (among others).

Mike's not a Hawthorne boy. The Hawthorne guys stuck together. The Wilsons and I always had a special bond. We felt like we were a team.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2010, 07:01:06 AM »

The downloaded version from iTunes includes the digital booklet / liner notes which are a nice touch.

Crap - time for me to have a sharp word with amazon.

Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 29, 2010, 07:16:38 AM »

I know a lot of people don't care for the new version of Rhonda but if you forget about the corny video that goes along with it, I think it is a nice "cover" of the song.  Heavy on piano and harmonica, it doesn't really sound like the original version and that's a good thing.  It sounds like a bunch of guys jamming at a party.

PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: June 29, 2010, 12:05:23 PM »

the track I'll end up playing least will almost certainly be his reimagining of "Rhonda": sorry, doesn't work for me.

Was he not singing from his heart?

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 29, 2010, 12:18:18 PM »

he wasn't syncopated enough... and he didn't sing sexy Rhonda... 

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 29, 2010, 12:50:05 PM »

Why has nobody taken note of this on Wikipedia yet?
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 29, 2010, 12:52:38 PM »

VERY dissapointing news.  Angry I've been waiting for this album for years and as soon as there's a physical release, I'll be the first to get it. But as long as it's a digital release only: screw it. I'm not paying for digital files or a CD-recordable.

Who said it would just be MP3s burned to CD?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: June 29, 2010, 01:02:48 PM »

VERY dissapointing news.  Angry I've been waiting for this album for years and as soon as there's a physical release, I'll be the first to get it. But as long as it's a digital release only: screw it. I'm not paying for digital files or a CD-recordable.

Er... the amazon.com website ?

GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 29, 2010, 01:05:54 PM »

Er... the amazon.com website ?

The way I read the Amazon description was that they do have access to the master files and then burn those to CD.

Quote from: Amazon
What are CD-R and DVD-R media?

CD-Rs and DVD-Rs (the "R" stands for "recordable") look like the discs you're used to and offer the same audio and image quality. This recordable media is used to manufacture titles on demand, as fully authorized by the content provider.

Through manufacturing on demand, CreateSpace, part of the Amazon.com group of companies, enables Amazon.com to offer music and video content that might not otherwise be available. Each disc comes fully packaged, with artwork, in a standard jewel case for audio and an Amaray case for video, although for reissued products the artwork may differ from the original.

CreateSpace works with many of the leading music labels, television networks, film studios, and other distributors to make these titles available to Amazon.com customers. All products are manufactured from original source materials (e.g., for audio products, uncompressed CD-quality audio).

By eliminating inventory, waste, and inefficiencies in the distribution system, on-demand manufacturing provides the added benefit of helping preserve the environment.

When shopping, you'll see CD-R or DVD-R on the product detail page for such products. Amazon.com's standard return policy applies to these purchases.

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
Paulos
« Reply #74 on: June 29, 2010, 02:35:55 PM »

David's new album is out September 1st, cool time for Beach Boys fans indeed!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx