gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:41:03 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
shadownoze, Aomdiddlywalla, parlay, Gosh Darn Highway, astroray, sloopjohnb72 (+ 1 Hidden) and 51 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 193 194 195 [196] 197 198 199 200 201 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399322 times)
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4875 on: May 12, 2014, 12:25:02 AM »

Why do Jeffrey Foskett and Bri Wilson hate each other now? He's not appearing on his album. Is it because he did not go to the Ella Awards?

Are Jeff Beck and Jeffrey Foskett on the same side?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4876 on: May 12, 2014, 01:46:34 AM »

I doubt Brian hates anyone, certainly not Jeff... and who says JF hates Brian ? That's never been my impression. Certain fans, for sure...

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #4877 on: May 12, 2014, 09:22:44 AM »

Why do Jeffrey Foskett and Bri Wilson hate each other now? He's not appearing on his album. Is it because he did not go to the Ella Awards?

Are Jeff Beck and Jeffrey Foskett on the same side?
Where'd you hear/read this? Source?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4878 on: May 12, 2014, 12:55:56 PM »

i hear Brian dissed foskett in an interview thats where i haerd it
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #4879 on: May 12, 2014, 01:05:04 PM »

MAybe Jeff as in Beck?

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4880 on: May 12, 2014, 01:08:59 PM »

Link please.  Smiley

wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4881 on: May 12, 2014, 04:33:15 PM »

Are the background vocals in Long Promised Road and Feel Flows all Carl?

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4882 on: May 13, 2014, 12:21:39 AM »

No - bvs to "Feel Flows" include Brian & Marilyn.

RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #4883 on: May 13, 2014, 02:36:05 AM »

In 65-83, did anyone else of the band but Mike sing ever California Girls live?  Would be cool to hear a Dennis version, if he ever sang it.

And another one, has Brian ever commented on the whole Landy-thing after the lawsuits? What does he think of the whole thing? I've never seen a comment about Landy by Brian after he was fired. I know that he was informed not to talk about the whole thing, but he must have slipped something?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 02:39:04 AM by RiC » Logged
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4884 on: May 13, 2014, 02:53:35 AM »

Sometime after Landy died Brian said he 'missed' him. That's all I can recall ever reading.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4885 on: May 13, 2014, 03:11:20 AM »

There's an TV interview - with the guy who says he never does any research into his sibjects (like, that's something to be proud of ?) - where he starts talking about Landy in terms that, if not exactly glowing are at least warm, only for Melinda to hush him up. In the same interview, Melinda starts dissing Marilyn and Brian shuts her up PDQ.

It's on YouTube, long interview... damn, what is that guy's name ? Old, glasses.

RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #4886 on: May 13, 2014, 03:24:17 AM »

Thanks. So Landy propably was to Brian a father-like-figure. I don't think he sees Landy as an evil at all. Maybe it's a part of that "brainwashing" or maybe they really had a real close relationship. Who knows. It would be nice to find that youtube interview, but I didn't find it.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #4887 on: May 13, 2014, 04:05:36 AM »

There's an TV interview - with the guy who says he never does any research into his sibjects (like, that's something to be proud of ?) - where he starts talking about Landy in terms that, if not exactly glowing are at least warm, only for Melinda to hush him up. In the same interview, Melinda starts dissing Marilyn and Brian shuts her up PDQ.

It's on YouTube, long interview... damn, what is that guy's name ? Old, glasses.

Think you mean Larry King; there's a transcript here, but I couldn't find the youtube:  http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0408/20/lkl.00.html

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4888 on: May 13, 2014, 05:13:46 AM »

Thanks Chris, that's the man.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4889 on: May 16, 2014, 10:43:34 AM »

Just looking at March/April 96 issue of ESQ, in the news and reviews section, they were talking about the completion of Stars and Stripes Vol 1 and who was singing on what tune, there's a couple of artists/songs mentioned that I was wondering if they were actually recorded and left on the shelf or this was just a proposed list?
Steve Earle- Shutdown
Merle Haggard- California Saga: California
Billy Ray Cyrus- Dance, Dance, Dance
Wendy Wilson- In My Room (which Tammy Wynette also recorded, I believe)

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4890 on: May 23, 2014, 12:20:09 PM »

I've often wondered this when listening to live recordings, when the band mentions the Surf's Up album and a huge crowd response sounds, do they really know the 1971 Surf's Up album and are cheering for it or are they assuming it's an early Beach Boys album since the word "surf" is in the title and they think it's gonna be Surfin USA or Catch a Wave or something? I know the Surfs Up album did do fairly well, but I've just often wondered that.

Example, the response Carl gets when he announces the song he's singing is from Surf's Up- http://youtu.be/Mdg2MEpvqXY

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Bill M
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4891 on: May 23, 2014, 01:41:15 PM »

I've often wondered this when listening to live recordings, when the band mentions the Surf's Up album and a huge crowd response sounds, do they really know the 1971 Surf's Up album and are cheering for it or are they assuming it's an early Beach Boys album since the word "surf" is in the title and they think it's gonna be Surfin USA or Catch a Wave or something? I know the Surfs Up album did do fairly well, but I've just often wondered that.

Example, the response Carl gets when he announces the song he's singing is from Surf's Up- http://youtu.be/Mdg2MEpvqXY

The audiences at the small clubs that Carl played at during his solo tour was made up of die hard fans.  I'm guessing, at least in the case of this tour, the audience knew the Surf's Up album quite well.  They even knew Billy Hinsche, as you can hear them yelling out Billy's name BEFORE Carl introduces him at this particular show & at the Bottom Line show that took place around the same time.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4892 on: May 24, 2014, 12:26:47 PM »

The audiences at the small clubs that Carl played at during his solo tour was made up of die hard fans.  I'm guessing, at least in the case of this tour, the audience knew the Surf's Up album quite well.  They even knew Billy Hinsche, as you can hear them yelling out Billy's name BEFORE Carl introduces him at this particular show & at the Bottom Line show that took place around the same time.
That's cool, I didn't know that about the audience, I don't know much about Carl's solo career.
Another example I thought about was the live version of Long Promised Road from the early 70s on the Endless Harmony soundtrack, there's a big cheer when Dennis introduces the song and mentioned Surf's Up....and perhaps since the album was fairly new, the audience was familiar with the album....I don't know, I wasn't around unfortunately.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

ahoutman1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4893 on: May 28, 2014, 06:32:18 PM »

When exactly was Summertime by Sharon Marie recorded?
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4894 on: May 28, 2014, 06:50:54 PM »

Not exactly a question, but... I was driving to work, my music shuffling away, and it so happened that Smiley Windchimes was followed immediately by Full Sail. It was weird, with the wind chime tones transitioning to ship's bells and the music suddenly changing from brilliant to soulless.

And I nearly wept.

Does that happen to you?
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4895 on: May 28, 2014, 07:46:52 PM »

Not exactly a question, but... I was driving to work, my music shuffling away, and it so happened that Smiley Windchimes was followed immediately by Full Sail. It was weird, with the wind chime tones transitioning to ship's bells and the music suddenly changing from brilliant to soulless.

And I nearly wept.

Does that happen to you?
No!

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4896 on: May 29, 2014, 05:12:57 AM »

And I nearly wept.

Does that happen to you?
Awww, are you saying Full Sail is soulless? I always liked Full Sail, one of the more underrated tunes from LA and great vocals.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4897 on: May 29, 2014, 06:37:52 AM »

In 65-83, did anyone else of the band but Mike sing ever California Girls live?  Would be cool to hear a Dennis version, if he ever sang it.

And another one, has Brian ever commented on the whole Landy-thing after the lawsuits? What does he think of the whole thing? I've never seen a comment about Landy by Brian after he was fired. I know that he was informed not to talk about the whole thing, but he must have slipped something?

1. Mike was absent for a few shows in 1990. Al sang his leads. There's a poor-sounding recording of a show in Ontario, Canada. The quality is so poor, it's hard to appreciate Alan's singing. But Cal Girls is among the songs he sings.

2. Some interviews have been mentioned already. There's one I recall (early 2000s) in which Brian talks openly and very lucid about Landy. He said that Landy did good for him but then became "power mad" (that's his term). There is another interview, I think, in which his lady assistant asks the interview not to ask more questions about the subject. Perhaps it's all the same interview and I'm confused. In any case, it's probably available somewhere in the www.

Here
http://m.scotsman.com/news/poetry-in-slow-motion-1-591061
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 07:21:16 AM by Dr. Lenny » Logged

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #4898 on: May 29, 2014, 03:12:45 PM »

A short clip of Al (with Jeff) singing California Girls, June 16, 1983, Erie, PA (http://www.esquarterly.com/bellagio/gigs83.html)

http://youtu.be/dbQZkKzV4O0?t=6m15s

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4899 on: May 30, 2014, 01:06:25 AM »

Hi, I haven't been visiting lately...has Craig Slowinski done his website yet? I'm a big fan of his...
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 193 194 195 [196] 197 198 199 200 201 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx