gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:23:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
shadownoze, Aomdiddlywalla, parlay, Gosh Darn Highway, astroray, sloopjohnb72 (+ 2 Hidden) and 58 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 187 188 189 [190] 191 192 193 194 195 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399449 times)
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4725 on: March 16, 2014, 08:19:59 PM »

FYI to all -- The spelling of "Vickie Korcher" the online liner notes to THE BIG BEAT 1963 was incorrect.  It should have been "Vickie Kocher."  Vickie (who now goes by the name Victoria Hale) has been trying to get that corrected everywhere that it was misprinted.

Lee
I don't have a laptop or PC to download The Big Beat, were the liner notes on an official page or did they come with the download? Would somebody be so kind as to helping me find those, sounds very interesting.

Actually I mistyped -- I should have said "online credits" instead of "online liner notes."  There were never any liner notes to THE BIG BEAT 1963 -- although from what I've been told the new spring issue of ESQ will help right that wrong (I haven't seen the issue yet...but it's not like I'm co-owner of the magazine or anything! Wink).

Lee
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #4726 on: March 16, 2014, 11:04:13 PM »

FYI to all -- The spelling of "Vickie Korcher" the online liner notes to THE BIG BEAT 1963 was incorrect.  It should have been "Vickie Kocher."  Vickie (who now goes by the name Victoria Hale) has been trying to get that corrected everywhere that it was misprinted.

Lee
I don't have a laptop or PC to download The Big Beat, were the liner notes on an official page or did they come with the download? Would somebody be so kind as to helping me find those, sounds very interesting.

Actually I mistyped -- I should have said "online credits" instead of "online liner notes."  There were never any liner notes to THE BIG BEAT 1963 -- although from what I've been told the new spring issue of ESQ will help right that wrong (I haven't seen the issue yet...but it's not like I'm co-owner of the magazine or anything! Wink).

Lee
Thank you! A friend of mine just loaned me the newest issue, can't wait to read it!
By the way, I've been reading older (and I do mean old ESQ's) lately, and I love your stuff! Started around the first one I own, issue 19 and around issue 25 now, so very interesting! Ive been reviewing those issues on my YT channel, keep up the great work!

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4727 on: March 17, 2014, 06:16:04 AM »

Thanks! -- David Beard should get all the credit.  I just keep the mailing list up to date, sign the checks, and count the pennies at the end of the day!

Lee
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4728 on: March 17, 2014, 10:09:22 AM »

FYI to all -- The spelling of "Vickie Korcher" the online liner notes to THE BIG BEAT 1963 was incorrect.  It should have been "Vickie Kocher."

Where do these liner notes appear? The only thing I've seen is David's Examiner article. Is that the notes?
jeremylr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4729 on: March 17, 2014, 12:15:18 PM »

What is the story behind the album cover of the 2001 anthology, Hawthorne, CA: Birthplace of a Musical Legacy? Did any photo-shopping shenanigans occur, or is it actually a vintage image? It's been difficult obtaining a high resolution image to study it thoroughly...
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #4730 on: March 17, 2014, 02:31:28 PM »

What is the story behind the album cover of the 2001 anthology, Hawthorne, CA: Birthplace of a Musical Legacy? Did any photo-shopping shenanigans occur, or is it actually a vintage image? It's been difficult obtaining a high resolution image to study it thoroughly...

Quite sure that it's a Photoshop creation. It's especially evident in the promo poster of the album cover Grin

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4731 on: March 17, 2014, 03:26:04 PM »

FYI to all -- The spelling of "Vickie Korcher" the online liner notes to THE BIG BEAT 1963 was incorrect.  It should have been "Vickie Kocher."

Where do these liner notes appear? The only thing I've seen is David's Examiner article. Is that the notes?
I wondered the same thing, he mis-typed part of that post, he explained it a couple of posts previous to yours.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4732 on: March 17, 2014, 06:37:03 PM »

There's a sealed, original, mono copy of Pet Sounds at one of my local record stores for $250.
Do I buy it?
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #4733 on: March 17, 2014, 06:52:08 PM »

There's a sealed, original, mono copy of Pet Sounds at one of my local record stores for $250.
Do I buy it?

If you know for certain it's original shrink wrap( not re-shrunk), it's a steal!

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4734 on: March 17, 2014, 07:05:22 PM »

Do I buy it?

If you know for certain it's original shrink wrap( not re-shrunk), it's a steal!

Any tips on how to tell the difference?
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4735 on: March 17, 2014, 10:06:01 PM »

Do I buy it?

Any tips on how to tell the difference?

1) Look very carefully for debris under the shrink -- unless it's done in an environmentally-controlled "clean room" it's nearly impossible to re-shrink without getting something underneath -- a hair, piece of lint, etc.  But the presence of a small bit of debris underneath isn't a deal-breaker, as long as it's near a breathe hole (see #2).

2) Legit Capitol shrink wrap will have one or two holes about the diameter of the opening of a drinking straw on either side.  These are called "breathe holes."  These were manufactured into the shrink wrap in order to let air out and keep it from getting trapped underneath.  Modern day shrink wrap is mainly used in applications where you are trying to maintain an airtight seal (e.g. grocery stores and butcher shops), so the wrap will not have those holes if it's a recent re-shrink (although a crooked record dealer would probably know this, and create the breathe holes). But as mentioned in #1 above, the area around the hole can generate a vacuum and pull in a bit of debris, so if there is some lint or a hair right around the breathe hold it may be ok.

3) 1960's shrink wrap should have a solid seam around all the edges -- there should be no overlap in the layers of the shrink wrap.  The shrink wrap was sealed by literally melting it together at the seams.  Later shrink wrap from the '80s sometimes had an overlapped layer on the back, and if you take something to a frame shop and ask them to shrink wrap it, it will usually have an overlap on the back.

4) It's rare to find a 50 year old sealed album where the shrink wrap is 100% intact.  Usually there's a small split in the shrink somewhere.  Around that split it's a GOOD sign if the area immediately underneath is slightly yellowed -- remember that there were very few "no smoking zones" back then.  Again to the vacuum effect, tobacco smoke would find it's way to those cracks, causing a yellow stain.  But if there is a stain in an area where there is no split in the shrink wrap, well, that's a problem.

5) Corners, the top seam (with the black circle and "File Under: Beach Boys"), and the back seam (the one with the artist, title, catalog number, and Capitol logo on it) can get damaged even with the shrink wrap on, so if the corners are dinged up or the seam is scuffed, it still may be OK.

6) This is an obvious one, but many copies of Pet Sounds were sold as discounted "cut-outs" (referring to the fact that the album was deleted, or "cut out" of the full-price catalog).  These should have a drill hole through the cover (cut-outs were sold by the wholesaler / rack jobber to the retailer at a cheaper price, with a "no return" policy, whereas a first-run album could be returned; the hole let them know that the album couldn't be returned).  The hole was drilled through the shrink and the cover, so if you find a sealed copy with the shrink wrap covering the cut-out hole it's a re-shrink.

For $250, if all of the above check out I'd jump on it!  Good luck!

Lee
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 08:52:40 AM by LeeDempsey » Logged
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4736 on: March 17, 2014, 10:28:24 PM »

P.S.: Price stickers also help.  The price in 1966 of a mono album -- I think -- would have been around $3.95 to $3.50 at a retail record shop; to $2.99, $2.95 or $2.50 at a department store like Sears or Woolworth; to $1.99, $1.50, or as low as $.99 for a cut-out.  I can remember buying sealed 1960's cut-outs at KMart and Woolworth in the early '70s for $.99.

Lee
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 01:33:18 PM by LeeDempsey » Logged
jeremylr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4737 on: March 18, 2014, 02:53:54 AM »

Quite sure that it's a Photoshop creation. It's especially evident in the promo poster of the album cover Grin

Gotcha and many thanks for confirming my suspicion, Metal Flake Point!
Mayoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4738 on: March 19, 2014, 04:46:50 PM »

Is it possible to sing the chorus of Good Vibrations without wiggling your fingers in front of you?  LOL
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #4739 on: March 19, 2014, 10:28:14 PM »

Is it possible to sing the chorus of Good Vibrations without wiggling your fingers in front of you?  LOL

Only if you're playing a Tannerin at the time Wink

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4740 on: March 19, 2014, 11:22:29 PM »

Is there a vocals-only version of Good Vibrations?

Al Jardine: Pick Up Artist
Smiley Smile Associate

I am an asexual walrus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4741 on: March 20, 2014, 02:23:45 AM »

Nope. The vocal masters are destroyed.

Which song: Inappropriate relationship with sister-in-law

Which song: Gonna straight up bang you with "the wood".

Which song: Weather conditions make me horny

Which song: Lack of proper shoes leads to potential blood poisoning and death.

Which song: Who needs church? Let's do it on the couch.

Dennis: "Holy sh*t, Al, you're finally showing signs of developing facial hair!!!"
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4742 on: March 20, 2014, 02:42:04 AM »

Nope. The vocal masters are destroyed.

Like a lot of the missing tapes, we don't actually know for sure where they are or what their condition is.  Only that they haven't been seen since 1966.
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4743 on: March 20, 2014, 12:37:37 PM »

Am I correct in saying that the vocal masters for every US number 1 single are missing (except Kokomo)?  Pure coincidence?

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4744 on: March 20, 2014, 05:33:34 PM »

Speaking of "tapes", how does one acquire acetates? I've often read on this board, other boards, and fanzines of those who own acetates... I'm sure they're not cheap, and I would hope eBay is not the answer.
I will say the story of the guy (as read in Stebbins' Beach Boys FAQ) who had the (I think) multi tracks to the Shut Down vol 2 tracks was rather cool and inspiring.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #4745 on: March 20, 2014, 05:58:34 PM »

Speaking of "tapes", how does one acquire acetates? I've often read on this board, other boards, and fanzines of those who own acetates... I'm sure they're not cheap, and I would hope eBay is not the answer.

It's worked for me so far, though I'm late to the acetate collecting game Grin

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #4746 on: March 20, 2014, 07:01:38 PM »

It's worked for me so far, though I'm late to the acetate collecting game Grin
Ebay, Rockaway, any dealer /individual that has some for sale. Of course, knowing what you're buying is definitely the trick (as with anything collectable, I suppose)
Somewhat more so with acetates, as especially with Capitol , there are LOTs of fakes. But then, most of the BBs acetates wouldn't tend to be Capitol, so maybe not as big a problem, there.

Ebay is great, if you know what you're doing, get there at the right time, know your limits, and you don't have to bid against metal flake paint!   

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4747 on: March 20, 2014, 08:19:37 PM »

The reason I said I hope eBay wasn't the answer is that I was hoping there'd be great stories behind obtaining these acetates and from well know folks (in the beach boys universe). But alas, that is not the case.

Can anyone give me some examples of what acetates they've found and for how much? If not, I understand. Have you ever played them?
I'm very interested in the subject...not interested in buying, I don't have the money.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #4748 on: March 20, 2014, 08:23:46 PM »

The reason I said I hope eBay wasn't the answer is that I was hoping there'd be great stories behind obtaining these acetates and from well know folks (in the beach boys universe). But alas, that is not the case.

Can anyone give me some examples of what acetates they've found and for how much? If not, I understand. Have you ever played them?
I'm very interested in the subject...not interested in buying, I don't have the money.

Lee Dempsey has all the best stories!  Just ask him to leave me out of them....

LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4749 on: March 20, 2014, 09:51:56 PM »

Yeah, if you get too good of a deal, Chris will call the seller and tell them they got ripped off by Lee Dempsey!   Evil
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 187 188 189 [190] 191 192 193 194 195 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx