gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 10:31:48 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 186 187 188 [189] 190 191 192 193 194 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1410302 times)
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #4700 on: March 12, 2014, 01:40:10 AM »

It's not a real live performance per say though, just Brian singing on top of the album track with the other guys miming.

I do remember hearing that an actual live '65 version with Brian was under consideration for release on MIC.

It's even Brian singing WITH his studio vocal - unless he doubletracks naturally... like he did in the 2012 videos! CONSPIRACY!!

On a more serious note, it's Brian's inevitably angelic vocal I'd be most excited for in a truly live performance. And what exists here is a great example of that even in a botched form...

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4701 on: March 12, 2014, 02:04:19 PM »

Does anyone know why they didn't release Soulful Old Man Sunshine at the time it was recorded? It's one of my favorites. I know Carl didn't like his "shunshine" mess up enough to exclude it from the Good Vibrations box set, but that's 20 years after the fact.

"In my opinion it makes Pet Sounds stink - that's how good it is!" - Dennis Wilson

"Our records were really very good. We're very talented and we know how to do what we do." - Carl Wilson

"The thing is, I'm just pooping along. Some people buzz along. I poop along. I just can't help it; that's the way I am. I'm just a pooper." - Brian Wilson
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4702 on: March 12, 2014, 04:59:29 PM »

Does anyone know why they didn't release Soulful Old Man Sunshine at the time it was recorded? It's one of my favorites. I know Carl didn't like his "shunshine" mess up enough to exclude it from the Good Vibrations box set, but that's 20 years after the fact.

The Beach Boys didn't like the song, period - the reason Carl's 'shunshine' vocal remains in the mix is that he couldn't be bothered to go back and fix it.

The story goes - Brian writes the song with Rick Henn, Rick goes and records the track, then BW presents the track to the group, and the group do the bare minimum of work on it until they can't be arsed. They didn't even decide to mix it - the way we hear it is the culmination of Mark L & Alan B welding a bunch of disparate tapes together.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4703 on: March 12, 2014, 05:27:22 PM »

The Beach Boys didn't like the song, period - the reason Carl's 'shunshine' vocal remains in the mix is that he couldn't be bothered to go back and fix it.

The story goes - Brian writes the song with Rick Henn, Rick goes and records the track, then BW presents the track to the group, and the group do the bare minimum of work on it until they can't be arsed. They didn't even decide to mix it - the way we hear it is the culmination of Mark L & Alan B welding a bunch of disparate tapes together.
Wow. They certainly did an excellent job.

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #4704 on: March 13, 2014, 04:34:24 AM »

On the Made In California box set Little Honda comes after Fun, Fun, Fun but before Don't Worry Baby, Why Do Fools Fall In Love and The Warmth Of The Sun. Why is it in the Shut Down Vol. 2 section not the All Summer Long section?

I have no evidence to back this up... but I believe that song was recorded as a demo, then given away to another band to be recorded... and then the Beach Boys re-recorded it (I suppose there's a demo)... so i'm not sure of the timeline, just pointing out that the song had a crooked path to it, which could make it's recording fit in different time periods depending on how you were chronologically placing the songs.  

Honda was recorded in April '64.  It was gonna be a single but someone queried it's hit potential giving Brian cold feet (brrrr) so it remained an album track - it was later released on an EP in September '64, roughly a month before the Gary Usher convened Hondells released a cover version.

It was recorded after Don't Worry, Baby.

Such is the story from the twofer liners and AGD's book.

Perhaps a vital arcane detail re its MIC sequencing will emerge when the online sessionography appears.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 02:16:55 PM by Alan Smith » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4705 on: March 13, 2014, 06:43:35 AM »

They were too busy working on stellar pieces such as Loop De Loop by this stage so who am I to question their judgement...
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #4706 on: March 13, 2014, 09:22:14 AM »

I read that as it was a Rick Henn tune nobody fought to have it completed and released. And also they goofed around during the recording of it to the point of Henn getting angry with them.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4707 on: March 13, 2014, 10:33:04 AM »

Yeah, when you think of some of the stuff they did release and then what was left unreleased it makes you wonder sometimes.
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4708 on: March 13, 2014, 02:41:20 PM »

Actually not quite true -- the way we hear it is a version edited together by Rick Henn and Darryl Dragon -- hand-assembled using razor blades and splicing tape from various analog rough mixdown tapes in Rick's possession.  Back in the day Henn had Stephen Desper make him rough mixes of each day's work to take home.  That's why some sections have vocals panned center, some have vocals panned to the sides, etc. -- they were from mixes on different days.  Henn and Dragon's edit was submitted for consideration for the GOOD VIBRATIONS boxed set back in 1993, but rejected by the group -- some say due to Carl's vocal flub; some say just due to the bad memory of a session forced upon them at Murry's insistence, produced by Murry's protégé.  Stephen recalls the group being less than enthusiastic about it while working on it, and when Rick expressed his frustration that the group was not putting forth their best effort, it gave them the excuse to say "screw you" and walk out of the studio before it was completed.  Over on the Hoffman board Stephen said that as long as the tape remained in the studio there was always a chance that someone might pull it out and work on it, but once it was transferred over to the office tape vault, that was pretty much the kiss of death.

The various parties finally consented to allow it on the ENDLESS HARMONY soundtrack after Carl passed away.  The version on MADE IN CALIFORNIA is the same exact mix as was on ENDLESS HARMONY -- per Alan Boyd, he and Mark pulled the multitracks to consider re-editing / re-mixing it for MIC, but some vocal elements that were on Henn's work tapes were missing from the multitracks, so they left it alone.

Lee
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 06:20:45 PM by LeeDempsey » Logged
jeremylr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4709 on: March 13, 2014, 06:51:51 PM »

Hi all,

I have a question pertaining to three tracks first released on the 1993 Good Vibrations box set that I hope someone can shed light upon. Does anyone have the exact (or as close as possible) recording dates for the following? Many thanks!

1.   Surfin’ USA (demo version with Brian banging away on piano; according to Bellagio, the master was recorded on January 5, 1963)
2.   In My Room (demo version with full band; the master was recorded in July 1963)
3.   Little Surfer Girl (30-second unfinished Brian song)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 06:56:21 PM by jeremylr » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4710 on: March 14, 2014, 04:55:25 AM »

1 - logic dictates late December 1962. But when did logic ever apply to The Beach Boys ?

2 - given the touring they were doing summer 1963, my best guess would be (if not during the Surfer Girl sessions of god-only-knows-when, July), then maybe June 13th-ish, or even late May. Candidly, I have no idea.

3 - recorded when Brian was rooming with Bob Norberg. Viki Korcher remembers it, so anywhere between fall 1962 and summer 1963.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
El Molé
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4711 on: March 14, 2014, 05:22:40 AM »

Actually not quite true -- the way we hear it is a version edited together by Rick Henn and Darryl Dragon -- hand-assembled using razor blades and splicing tape from various analog rough mixdown tapes in Rick's possession.  Back in the day Henn had Stephen Desper make him rough mixes of each day's work to take home.  That's why some sections have vocals panned center, some have vocals panned to the sides, etc. -- they were from mixes on different days.  Henn and Dragon's edit was submitted for consideration for the GOOD VIBRATIONS boxed set back in 1993, but rejected by the group -- some say due to Carl's vocal flub; some say just due to the bad memory of a session forced upon them at Murry's insistence, produced by Murry's protégé.  Stephen recalls the group being less than enthusiastic about it while working on it, and when Rick expressed his frustration that the group was not putting forth their best effort, it gave them the excuse to say "screw you" and walk out of the studio before it was completed.  Over on the Hoffman board Stephen said that as long as the tape remained in the studio there was always a chance that someone might pull it out and work on it, but once it was transferred over to the office tape vault, that was pretty much the kiss of death.

The various parties finally consented to allow it on the ENDLESS HARMONY soundtrack after Carl passed away.  The version on MADE IN CALIFORNIA is the same exact mix as was on ENDLESS HARMONY -- per Alan Boyd, he and Mark pulled the multitracks to consider re-editing / re-mixing it for MIC, but some vocal elements that were on Henn's work tapes were missing from the multitracks, so they left it alone.

Lee

Thanks for that. The last part about reviewing the tapes for MIC is interesting and new to me. I'd always wondered if a slightly better mix/edit might be possible, but I guess not. It's up there with my favourite Beach Boys tracks, it's just that the mix/edit can occasionally be a little bit off-putting (for the reasons you've explained above).
jeremylr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4712 on: March 14, 2014, 12:26:03 PM »

Hi all,

I have a question pertaining to three tracks first released on the 1993 Good Vibrations box set that I hope someone can shed light upon. Does anyone have the exact (or as close as possible) recording dates for the following? Many thanks!

1.   Surfin’ USA (demo version with Brian banging away on piano; according to Bellagio, the master was recorded on January 5, 1963)
2.   In My Room (demo version with full band; the master was recorded in July 1963)
3.   Little Surfer Girl (30-second unfinished Brian song)

1 - logic dictates late December 1962. But when did logic ever apply to The Beach Boys ?

2 - given the touring they were doing summer 1963, my best guess would be (if not during the Surfer Girl sessions of god-only-knows-when, July), then maybe June 13th-ish, or even late May. Candidly, I have no idea.

3 - recorded when Brian was rooming with Bob Norberg. Viki Korcher remembers it, so anywhere between fall 1962 and summer 1963.

Exactly...logic rarely applies to the boys' studio or live recordings. Every little kernel of knowledge helps. Thanks so much for your invaluable assistance, Andrew.
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4713 on: March 14, 2014, 12:31:06 PM »

FYI to all -- The spelling of "Vickie Korcher" the online liner notes to THE BIG BEAT 1963 was incorrect.  It should have been "Vickie Kocher."  Vickie (who now goes by the name Victoria Hale) has been trying to get that corrected everywhere that it was misprinted.

Lee
chrs_mrgn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4714 on: March 14, 2014, 01:17:05 PM »

I was hoping that someone could identify this Wrecking Crew track.

It's probably been posted here before but I couldn't find it. Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf53KTNwCHA#t=19

Who was involved, who was it for?
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #4715 on: March 14, 2014, 01:52:55 PM »

Hmmmm....   I went to search, typed >>Gold Star<<  and this was the fifth thread down.  Didn't seem hard to me at all( of course you have to search... ) 

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,17193.msg431967.html#msg431967

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4716 on: March 14, 2014, 08:59:51 PM »

I think I remember reading that "Do You Like Worms?" was being considered for L.A. (Light Album).

Did this get any farther than the idea stage?
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4717 on: March 14, 2014, 10:33:31 PM »

I think I remember reading that "Do You Like Worms?" was being considered for L.A. (Light Album).

Did this get any farther than the idea stage?

I doubt it. I mean I haven't read anything more than just the fact that they were considering it, and part of me feels that if it went further than that then it'd definitely be in a book or something. But maybe someone else has more information. I'm kind of interested myself in that (it would've stuck out on that album by a million country miles).

And my question.. I read somewhere once that Brian heard 3 voices in his head: Murry Wilson, Phil Spector, and Danny Hutton. I came across this video today (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao_25vXt9WQ) and I thought maybe someone here might know.. why does he hear (or heard) Danny Hutton's voice? I know they were friends and they probably did drugs together but is there a specific story behind it? It seems so weird since both Murry and Phil seemed to have incalculable importance in Brian's life compared to Danny. I don't know whether I'm more surprised that he apparently heard Danny's voice in his head or that he didn't hear Mike Loves.

"In my opinion it makes Pet Sounds stink - that's how good it is!" - Dennis Wilson

"Our records were really very good. We're very talented and we know how to do what we do." - Carl Wilson

"The thing is, I'm just pooping along. Some people buzz along. I poop along. I just can't help it; that's the way I am. I'm just a pooper." - Brian Wilson
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4718 on: March 15, 2014, 12:26:17 AM »

The most recent comment on the video was made by Mark Linnet, who identified the track as "I Love My Chico" by Bonnie and the Treasures.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4719 on: March 15, 2014, 02:34:05 AM »

This should be pinned at the top of every thread here:

TRY USING THE SEARCH FUNCTION FIRST !

Jus' sayin'...

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
chrs_mrgn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4720 on: March 15, 2014, 09:34:57 AM »

You all need to calm down
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4721 on: March 15, 2014, 06:11:06 PM »

This should be pinned at the top of every thread here:

TRY USING THE SEARCH FUNCTION FIRST !

Jus' sayin'...

I did and I didn't find anything. I might not have looked hard enough, but I did type in a few different things and there wasn't an explanation or a story.  Undecided

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #4722 on: March 15, 2014, 09:00:02 PM »

FYI to all -- The spelling of "Vickie Korcher" the online liner notes to THE BIG BEAT 1963 was incorrect.  It should have been "Vickie Kocher."  Vickie (who now goes by the name Victoria Hale) has been trying to get that corrected everywhere that it was misprinted.

Lee
I don't have a laptop or PC to download The Big Beat, were the liner notes on an official page or did they come with the download? Would somebody be so kind as to helping me find those, sounds very interesting.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #4723 on: March 16, 2014, 05:56:14 AM »

The search function is pretty hard top use when there's multiple ways of asking a question

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #4724 on: March 16, 2014, 07:39:51 AM »

This site's search function isn't very user friendly. Try using Google: type your search string and "site:smileysmile.net" and things get a little easier.

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 186 187 188 [189] 190 191 192 193 194 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx