gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680800 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 08:27:32 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 125 126 127 [128] 129 130 131 132 133 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1409143 times)
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3175 on: November 11, 2012, 04:36:49 PM »

does this remind anyone of Pet Sounds:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPXDJQkuWeA

The vocals remind me a little of the Four Seasons. The instrumentation is thoroughly modern, though.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3176 on: November 11, 2012, 07:45:51 PM »

It just occurred to me that the background strumming in "I Am the Walrus" is basically the same thing as the background harpsichord in "Caroline No."

But supposedly Lennon got the idea for the strumming on Walrus from the sound of a police siren in England so I won't accuse him of plagiarism. :D
halblaineisgood
« Reply #3177 on: November 11, 2012, 11:39:32 PM »

« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 05:35:38 AM by God Only Meows » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #3178 on: November 11, 2012, 11:43:20 PM »

« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 05:35:51 AM by God Only Meows » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #3179 on: November 11, 2012, 11:49:09 PM »

« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 05:36:04 AM by God Only Meows » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #3180 on: November 13, 2012, 10:14:09 AM »

« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 03:53:17 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #3181 on: November 13, 2012, 10:19:50 AM »

« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 03:53:32 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #3182 on: November 13, 2012, 10:29:19 AM »

I wonder if the problem child eventually became a king of hearts, just as Carl predicted??
Who wants to go into work until you're 93? apparently the BB do!

BTW, on the topic of this song, I used to despise it but with further listens, I actually like it a whole lot. the instrumental track is really good for the most part, great horns and that accordion! Thank goodness for the accordion that's been featured in the late 80s BB music and early 90s like SIP, I know VDP played it for SIP but I don't know who played it on side projects like Problem Child. Though Brian had nothing to do with the song, I think the backing track sounds Brian-esc. I think it's the kids singing "nah-nah-nah" that turned me off in the beginning. Was the song in the movie? I can't remember, I didn't know the song the last time I watched the movie back in 97  Wink

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
halblaineisgood
« Reply #3183 on: November 13, 2012, 10:39:42 AM »

« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 03:55:44 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3184 on: November 13, 2012, 10:36:24 PM »

Not a question but some sort of neat news, the Beach Boys version of "California Dreamin'" is going to appear in next year's GTA 5. I think this is pretty cool considering that GTA has a huge fan following.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2012/11/alleged-gta-5-details-leaked-reveals-multiple-playable-characters-among-other-things/

Cool that a Beach Boys song will be featured in a major game like Grand Theft Auto.  Although out of all the Beach Boys songs they could have used for this game, I'm a little perplexed that "California Dreamin'" (a cover, mind you) was the song that was selected. 

On a related note, if you ever played any of the GTA games on the PC, you had the option of playing your own MP3's instead of the radio channels.  Nothing like listening to "I Get Around" whilst driving in stolen cars and running down pedestrians!   3D

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3185 on: November 14, 2012, 02:35:03 AM »

Not a question but some sort of neat news, the Beach Boys version of "California Dreamin'" is going to appear in next year's GTA 5. I think this is pretty cool considering that GTA has a huge fan following.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2012/11/alleged-gta-5-details-leaked-reveals-multiple-playable-characters-among-other-things/

Cool that a Beach Boys song will be featured in a major game like Grand Theft Auto.  Although out of all the Beach Boys songs they could have used for this game, I'm a little perplexed that "California Dreamin'" (a cover, mind you) was the song that was selected. 

On a related note, if you ever played any of the GTA games on the PC, you had the option of playing your own MP3's instead of the radio channels.  Nothing like listening to "I Get Around" whilst driving in stolen cars and running down pedestrians!   3D

keep an eye on this one.
SonoraDick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3186 on: November 14, 2012, 09:53:07 AM »

Was the song in the movie? I can't remember, I didn't know the song the last time I watched the movie back in 97  Wink

I believe it was played in its entirety during the closing credits. (I'm one of the few who always stays!)
G.C
« Reply #3187 on: November 14, 2012, 12:07:15 PM »

Not a question and nothing new, but it's delightful
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CSVt6prH9g
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #3188 on: November 14, 2012, 12:19:07 PM »

Neat! (Is it really more than four years since the Lizik and Hines left? Still miss seeing them with the band.)

“We live in divisive times.”
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #3189 on: November 14, 2012, 03:02:16 PM »

YEAAAH.

LOL
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3190 on: November 14, 2012, 10:23:21 PM »

Thulsa Doom did a excellent job with that cover!!   Smiley
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRHNkDmIfLI

That's a pretty straightforward cover... I would have expected something else entirely from a stoner rock band. But yeah, nice cover.  Smokin

Better than the original, if you ask me... The video is pretty funny, too, I love the way the bassist has this Bruce-with-moustache look, and then has this constant stupid grin! Cheesy

Tears In The Morning is the only Sunflower track I didn't like instantly. And then I found out it was recorded the day I was born. Undecided

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3191 on: November 15, 2012, 01:44:56 PM »

Not a question, but a cool BB-related happening today. I had Pet Sounds in the car on my way home, and when it ended, I ejected it from the player. The first  new song I heard after ejecting the disc was the intro to Sloop John B - 88.5 randomly played it in between two indie tracks. Quite a coincidence!

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3192 on: November 16, 2012, 04:47:19 AM »

When I go to cafés and 'indie' pubs, they always play some pet sounds material. I've heard 'Here Today', 'WIBN' and 'IJWMFTT' many times. Young people still dig that stuff.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3193 on: November 16, 2012, 05:01:49 AM »

Llana De Havas is very cool, my mate supported her earlier this year and said she was just super chill. The albums pretty cool.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3194 on: November 16, 2012, 06:57:20 AM »

Is there a Be Still instrumental anywhere?

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
dwtherealbb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3195 on: November 17, 2012, 12:47:11 PM »

who sings what part of Good Vibrations? Here's my guess:

Carl sings the lead (i like the colorful clothes she wears, softly smile i know she must be kind etc)
Mike sings "I'm picking up good vibrations, she's giving me excitations".
Brian sings "good good good good vibrations" and the "na na na na na na na na"
Al sings "I don't know where but she sends me there" and "got to keep those loving good vibrations a happenin' with her"
Carl Dennis Al and Bruce all do the "mmm bop bop"
Bruce says the "ah my what elations"
halblaineisgood
« Reply #3196 on: November 17, 2012, 02:48:55 PM »

« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 03:21:16 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
dwtherealbb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3197 on: November 17, 2012, 03:13:08 PM »

who sings what part of Good Vibrations? Here's my guess:

Mike sings "I'm picking up good vibrations, she's giving me excitations".

After all the interviews, after all the times, after 50 years of Mike dining out on the word ex-citations, you still had to guess on that one?

Mike and Carl I pretty much know for sure, the rest are guesses
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #3198 on: November 17, 2012, 03:20:53 PM »

Brian sings "good good good good vibrations" and the "na na na na na na na na"

The "Good good good" is just the group with Brian most prominent. The "na na na"s I'm not sure, although I feel like someone said it was Bruce? Not sure.

Al sings "I don't know where but she sends me there" and "got to keep those loving good vibrations a happenin' with her"

That's Mike.

The final one sounds like Brian to me, or maybe I was just assuming.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 03:22:19 PM by runnersdialzero! » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3199 on: November 17, 2012, 05:30:12 PM »

The final one sounds like Brian to me, or maybe I was just assuming.

It doesn't sound like Bruce at all. Agree with Runnerz - it sounds more like Brian than any other BB.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 125 126 127 [128] 129 130 131 132 133 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx