gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 10:13:39 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Aomdiddlywalla and 47 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399795 times)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: January 02, 2011, 03:49:55 PM »

I finally remembered two of the things I wanted to ask!

1) are some of Al's vocals on In Concert sped up? You Still Believe In Me sounds like it especially, the organs 'wibble' like the tape's being manipulated and it's in C, as opposed to it's original key of B, which they didn't change when playing it live previously?

2) Were any other tapes for famous songs lost in the massive clearout that robbed us of the GV vocal tapes? I've only heard that story in relation to that song....

Uh, yeah, that's going to make it a bit tougher. Anyone know what landfill they were using at the time?  It wasn't Scranton, was it?  

I can just hear the people doing the tape clear out:  "I'm picking up Good Vibrations, I'm putting them in my car"

Whole bunch of Byrds multitracks as well, apparently. Basically, if the tapes were stored at Columbia, they were gonners.

SO: my brain is like the spaghetti strainer. Can someone refresh my memory?  were the tapes thrown out or did someone take them?

According to Bruce, the tapes were stored in what used to be the balcony of the theatre the studio was before it was, er, a studio, and in spring 1967, they just threw a whole load of them in the dumpster.

That makes it a bit tougher.. The landfill they were using then wasn't Scranton, was it? 

Lessee... Columbia Studio is in California... Scranton in in Pennsylvania... doubt it somehow.  Wink

But of course yer right.
What's the chances a bunch of tapes put in a landfill in 1967 might have anything still left on them? 
If they were landfilled and not burned. Not sure what they did with trash in '67 California.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: January 03, 2011, 09:25:49 AM »

I finally remembered two of the things I wanted to ask!

1) are some of Al's vocals on In Concert sped up? You Still Believe In Me sounds like it especially, the organs 'wibble' like the tape's being manipulated and it's in C, as opposed to it's original key of B, which they didn't change when playing it live previously?

2) Were any other tapes for famous songs lost in the massive clearout that robbed us of the GV vocal tapes? I've only heard that story in relation to that song....

Uh, yeah, that's going to make it a bit tougher. Anyone know what landfill they were using at the time?  It wasn't Scranton, was it?  

I can just hear the people doing the tape clear out:  "I'm picking up Good Vibrations, I'm putting them in my car"

Whole bunch of Byrds multitracks as well, apparently. Basically, if the tapes were stored at Columbia, they were gonners.

SO: my brain is like the spaghetti strainer. Can someone refresh my memory?  were the tapes thrown out or did someone take them?

According to Bruce, the tapes were stored in what used to be the balcony of the theatre the studio was before it was, er, a studio, and in spring 1967, they just threw a whole load of them in the dumpster.

That makes it a bit tougher.. The landfill they were using then wasn't Scranton, was it? 

Lessee... Columbia Studio is in California... Scranton in in Pennsylvania... doubt it somehow.  Wink

But of course yer right.
What's the chances a bunch of tapes put in a landfill in 1967 might have anything still left on them? 
If they were landfilled and not burned. Not sure what they did with trash in '67 California.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1002 on: January 03, 2011, 09:31:16 AM »

64 ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: January 03, 2011, 09:32:33 AM »

64 ?

Oh, in a fit of absence I answered the question that bgas has under his avatar. My aim is to please people.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: January 03, 2011, 06:36:38 PM »

Did Harry Nilsson ever cover any Beach Boy tunes?
If not, that's be a damn shame, think about that voice on their songs, phew, Harry and Brian are prolly my top 2 favorite vocalists ever.

Think about what Harry coulda done with Our Prayer. With overdubbing his few for all the voices, I couldn't express it with words.

One can only dream.

And yes, I'm aware that Brian covered This Could Be the Night and Carl sang on Without Her on the For the Love of Harry tribute album.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1005 on: January 03, 2011, 06:42:13 PM »

I was listening to some of the Imagination outtakes earlier and there's an instrumental track of She Says that She Needs Me (not the Sherri She Needs Me track from 65) and I was wondering if it's the same track that was used on the Imagination album. I know it's on the Dumb Angel (BW solo) boot. The track I was listening to starts out with sax instead of a clarinet but it sounds a little different.

(Again, I'm not talking about the track recorded in 65 that Brian recorded vocals on in 76)

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: January 03, 2011, 07:21:26 PM »

With talking about the early mixes of 15 Big Ones (sounding better), I was wondering, since it sounds so good, is Sea Cruise one of those early mixes (thus sounding better than 3/4 of 15 Big ones)?
I feel like you can hear the instruments a lot better on Sea Cruise.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: January 08, 2011, 03:15:24 PM »

Obviously Mike has a fascination with re-recording his tunes (just like Brian and sometimes Denny)
Evidence of this:
Big Sur (Surf's Up) redone for Holland
Everyone's in Love With You redone for Unleash the Love (2004), same with Brian's Back, Glow Cresent Glow, 10,000 Years, and a couple of other tunes.
Sumahama (LA) along with other versions, unless they're just different mixes.
Surfin' (original) revised as a 'up-to-date' version (SIP)

So hows come, outta all that? Why don't we own a real/released mix of the original Big Sur.
I wonder if it was up for grabs during the research for the GV Box Set, would he have said yes?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1008 on: January 08, 2011, 03:22:16 PM »

"Everyone's In Love With You" was also re-recorded for Country LoveThud

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: January 08, 2011, 04:28:45 PM »

"Everyone's In Love With You" was also re-recorded for Country LoveThud

that's right, I actually don't have any recordings (as one shouldn't) of Country/First Love recordings, so that's off my radar.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Paulos
« Reply #1010 on: January 08, 2011, 04:34:36 PM »

I wish I could unhear Country Love  Cry
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: January 08, 2011, 04:52:11 PM »

Try listening to it backwards.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: January 08, 2011, 04:59:41 PM »

I'd like tor reiterate my man Punkinhead's question Re: Big Sur. Did Mike veto it for the boxset, or something? Was that somewhat rough mix we obviously don't possess not considered polished enough for inclusion? etc

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: January 10, 2011, 09:21:06 AM »

Was 'That Special Feeling' ever recorded by the band, or was it just left as a demo?

By lack of any wikipedia pages on the song I take it that it was left as a demo...

BTW, do you all think that 'Adult Child' was a step backward from 'Love You' or a step forward?

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: January 10, 2011, 09:39:00 AM »

Neither, it was more of a two step side step.  Wink

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: January 10, 2011, 06:00:29 PM »

Hearing the song today, for the 1,000th or so time, made me wonder for the first time, why is it called "You" Need a Mess of Help to Stand Alone instead of "I" need a mess of help, like it it is throughout the song?
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: January 11, 2011, 07:25:18 AM »

Why was Brian obsessed with demoing Don't Talk in various ways? We have a piano demo and the vocal snippet, which was supposed to demonstrate to it to string players, correct? (Which, if you think about it, doesn't make sense - the eventual string part corresponds to different sections of the song to the snippet)

Why? He didn't do it with other orchestrated tunes on Pet Sounds.... unless he did *dreams idly about an acapella Let's Go Away....*

And i'm getting a wee bit sick of asking this question constantly, but do other Brian piano demos for Pet Sounds,like Don't Talk exist in the vaults? They must do, but no-ones said either way yet!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: January 11, 2011, 07:30:43 AM »

I never heard it. I will grow to be 100+ years old. I am sorry for you.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1018 on: January 11, 2011, 09:43:44 AM »

And i'm getting a wee bit sick of asking this question constantly, but do other Brian piano demos for Pet Sounds,like Don't Talk exist in the vaults? They must do, but no-ones said either way yet!

My stance is that none turning up on the sessions box says 'no'.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: January 21, 2011, 12:56:47 AM »

How did the title for the song "Slip On Through" come about? I've always been fascinated by song titles that seemingly have nothing to do with the lyrics.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #1020 on: January 21, 2011, 09:02:13 AM »

How did the title for the song "Slip On Through" come about? I've always been fascinated by song titles that seemingly have nothing to do with the lyrics.
The third and fourth lines of the song are...
You've got the ticket, come on slip inside
And let my song take you for a ride
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: January 21, 2011, 09:42:49 AM »

...and, of course, we can presume that the title "Slip Inside" was considered for all of two seconds before replacing it with "Slip On Through".
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: January 21, 2011, 11:18:18 PM »

I knew that it said something about "slip", but I couldn't make out the exact lyrics, so thanks for that quote.  Smiley I think Roger Ryan might be on to something.  Wink

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: January 24, 2011, 08:41:42 PM »

Has anyone here watched the documentary on the 'Lucky Old Sun' DVD (it's supposedly about Southern California and its influence on Brian's work)? Is it worth getting?

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1024 on: January 25, 2011, 01:11:09 AM »

Has anyone here watched the documentary on the 'Lucky Old Sun' DVD (it's supposedly about Southern California and its influence on Brian's work)? Is it worth getting?

Don't recall seeing that.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx