gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:15:38 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
shadownoze, Aomdiddlywalla, parlay, Gosh Darn Highway, astroray, sloopjohnb72 (+ 1 Hidden) and 60 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399476 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #925 on: October 31, 2010, 02:54:41 PM »

One's "SJB", another "GOK". They didn't do "Graduation Day".

I wouldn't have thought they would perform GD, but then again, I thought it was on the setlist sometime in 66 or 67...like I feel they perform it on a pretty well known live boot.

Just dug out a very old cassette from the 1966 tour - I stand corrected, they did do "GD"

ah, I wasn't trying to prove you wrong...but then again, we all take things differently through text unfortunately.

All in all I was just trying to look somewhat smart in the BB/BW world.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #926 on: October 31, 2010, 03:12:27 PM »

I wouldn't have thought they would perform GD, but then again, I thought it was on the setlist sometime in 66 or 67...like I feel they perform it on a pretty well known live boot.

Just dug out a very old cassette from the 1966 tour - I stand corrected, they did do "GD"

ah, I wasn't trying to prove you wrong...but then again, we all take things differently through text unfortunately.

You don't have to worry about that.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #927 on: October 31, 2010, 08:50:23 PM »

whatcha mean?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #928 on: October 31, 2010, 08:58:17 PM »

whatcha mean?
I mean what you think I mean; unless , of course, you're not thinking the same as I am, in which case I mean the opposite!

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #929 on: October 31, 2010, 09:08:20 PM »

whatcha mean?
I mean what you think I mean; unless , of course, you're not thinking the same as I am, in which case I mean the opposite!

are you saying i'm smart in the BB/BW world?

THANKS! It's a pleasure to get a compliment about the things you take pleasure in learning and dispencing

~post of the century~
-Mikie

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #930 on: October 31, 2010, 09:57:12 PM »

whatcha mean?

are you saying i'm smart in the BB/BW world?

THANKS! It's a pleasure to get a compliment about the things you take pleasure in learning and dispencing

Well, you're welcome!

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #931 on: November 05, 2010, 09:48:06 PM »

this is more of a hypothetical question, but if Brian performed Be Here in the Morning, do you think he or other members of the band would go through the trouble of making the vocal (Al's vocal part) go through the speaker/amp as they did on the Friends album?           Wink

~post of the century~
-Mikie

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #932 on: November 05, 2010, 09:52:29 PM »

this is more of a hypothetical question, but if Brian performed Be Here in the Morning, do you think he or other members of the band would go through the trouble of making the vocal (Al's vocal part) go through the speaker/amp as they did on the Friends album?           Wink

Nah, they wouldn't have bothered with an amp, cuz Brian likes to sing in the nude anyway. ( that's accapella to you, punkin)

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #933 on: November 05, 2010, 09:55:26 PM »

Nah, they wouldn't have bothered with an amp, cuz Brian likes to sing in the nude anyway. ( that's accapella to you, punkin)

So we rely on our musical knowledge and information on Mike Love now?   Wink

~post of the century~
-Mikie

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #934 on: November 05, 2010, 10:00:56 PM »

So we rely on our musical knowledge and information on Mike Love now?   Wink

Not completely, of course. But when you're hot, you're hot; so of course with Brian Being here in the morning, he'd be hot and have to disrobe to get the timbre right. 

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #935 on: November 06, 2010, 06:30:26 AM »

I was wondering if Jack Rieley asked for Beach Boy involvement on his Western Justice album. While I admire the album, I don't know much about it, when it was recorded/released....recorded in Holland where Jack stayed after the Holland album? Since I enjoy the album, it could have only gotten better with some BB involvement. Plus, would have been more artistic than anything they put out after 73.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #936 on: November 06, 2010, 07:05:39 AM »

I was wondering if Jack Rieley asked for Beach Boy involvement on his Western Justice album. While I admire the album, I don't know much about it, when it was recorded/released....recorded in Holland where Jack stayed after the Holland album? Since I enjoy the album, it could have only gotten better with some BB involvement. Plus, would have been more artistic than anything they put out after 73.

You did know about this website, right?

http://www.western-justice.com/

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #937 on: November 06, 2010, 09:01:24 AM »

You did know about this website, right?

http://www.western-justice.com/

i think i knew and forgot, thanks though

~post of the century~
-Mikie

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #938 on: November 10, 2010, 09:13:50 AM »

Has anyone here read 'Beach Boys Vs. Beatlemania: Rediscovering Sixties Music' by G.A. De Forest? If so, is it worth the read/worth buying?

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #939 on: November 10, 2010, 02:08:11 PM »

Has anyone here read 'Beach Boys Vs. Beatlemania: Rediscovering Sixties Music' by G.A. De Forest? If so, is it worth the read/worth buying?

I'd also like to hear what others think

~post of the century~
-Mikie

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #940 on: November 13, 2010, 05:03:51 AM »

Is the Edsel 1987 repress of Song Cycle any good? My local record shop has one and wondering if i should hold out for an older/newer pressing....

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #941 on: November 14, 2010, 08:38:47 PM »

I've been re-reading some different BB books and I stumbled upon SMiLE: the Lost Masterpiece by Dominic P. And I believe it was this book that said Andy Warhol used 'Denny's Drums' in a film, I can't remember the title, but it was about Tarzan.

Anyone seen this before?
Did he use the whole track or just a section?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #942 on: November 16, 2010, 11:12:16 AM »

I've been re-reading some different BB books and I stumbled upon SMiLE: the Lost Masterpiece by Dominic P. And I believe it was this book that said Andy Warhol used 'Denny's Drums' in a film, I can't remember the title, but it was about Tarzan.

Anyone seen this before?
Did he use the whole track or just a section?

That would be Tarzan and Jane Regained... Sort of starring Dennis Hopper. Sorry - haven't seen the film, but since it was released in '64 it's logical that Warhol could have used "Denny's Drums".
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #943 on: November 16, 2010, 02:23:05 PM »

What was the first song Brian wrote after getting stoned for the first time? Was it "Please Let Me Wonder" as allmusic's song review suggests (they're wrong on a lot of stuff so I figured I'd ask the folks who know for certain)?
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #944 on: November 16, 2010, 07:23:55 PM »

What was the first song Brian wrote after getting stoned for the first time? Was it "Please Let Me Wonder" as allmusic's song review suggests (they're wrong on a lot of stuff so I figured I'd ask the folks who know for certain)?

in my mind, I believe it's Please Let Me Wonder, but I could be wrong.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #945 on: November 18, 2010, 05:58:09 PM »

in my mind, I believe it's Please Let Me Wonder, but I could be wrong.

Yesh, it was 'Please Let Me Wonder' - Philip Lambert wrote in his book (paraphrasing) that though 'Please Let Me Wonder' was the first song Brian wrote on pot 'In The Back Of My Mind' was a far better example of the effect pot was having on Brian's mind.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #946 on: November 19, 2010, 06:49:52 AM »

Is the Edsel 1987 repress of Song Cycle any good? My local record shop has one and wondering if i should hold out for an older/newer pressing....

It is fine. IMHO it does not differ from the earlier WB pressing. But I must hasten to add that Van Dyke himself disowned the Edsel material, I mean: IIRC he had real trouble with the way Edsel handled the financial matters, licensing fees and suchlike, and actually advised people to not buy that stuff.
That said: try to locate the Rykodisc version of 1997 or thereabouts, it has a bonus track and is a real remaster. It's out of print, but surely worth seeking for.

VDP announced a 5.1 remaster some three years ago, but as yet I have heard nothing about a release date.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #947 on: November 29, 2010, 09:12:43 PM »

Has the question been answered about who (denny's friend) Medulla is?
I know i've read the article/interview before about Dennis, but I thought I'd try my hand at this.
I did search our message board, but never came up with an answer.
All I know is that this person was a backing musician for tours around late 60s and was going to be signed to Brother Records.

BTW, who sung that version of Let the Wind Blow?
All I know is the first name: Amy.
What's the story on her?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #948 on: December 06, 2010, 07:46:44 PM »

On the acapella break in Sloop John B, there is a voice that sings "hoist up the John B saaaaails...". Who's voice is it? At first I thought it was Dennis, but the more I listen to it the more it sounds like Mike.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Austin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #949 on: December 07, 2010, 04:13:21 AM »

On the acapella break in Sloop John B, there is a voice that sings "hoist up the John B saaaaails...". Who's voice is it? At first I thought it was Dennis, but the more I listen to it the more it sounds like Mike.

My money's on Dennis. You can hear Mike singing the same line the measure before (albeit quietly), after which he falls to and sustains a note below Dennis's part.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx