gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:19:46 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399864 times)
Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 18, 2010, 01:37:08 PM »

Did Bruce Johnston ever sing lead on "Wouldn't It Be Nice" live?

Are you ready for some Fun Fun Fun?!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 18, 2010, 01:59:19 PM »

So I've had this Odeon Records Version of Smile for a while, and it contains all the standard stuff, however it also has a version of Can't Wait Too Long, the first thirty seconds of which I've never heard before. It starts with a really mournful acapella part featuring a female voice and then breaks into a version of the main part of the song with clapping. Does anybody know where exactly this is from?

Yes, I'd love to know, too.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: January 18, 2010, 02:24:57 PM »

Did Bruce Johnston ever sing lead on "Wouldn't It Be Nice" live?

For some reason, I'm thinking he did, in the early 70s... but I could be in error here. I know he used to intro it by saying "the name of this song is..." (notably on the live version from Big Sur).

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 18, 2010, 07:04:02 PM »

I have another "random" Beach Boys related question that really doesn't fit anywhere else. In the first few year of the 1970's Dennis could not play drums because of a bad injury to his hand. Yet he continued to tour with the group. My question is, what exactly did Dennis do onstage? I mean, besides act as "MC", to get the crowd excited and on their feet.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 18, 2010, 07:10:06 PM »

I believe Dennis sang and played auxiliary percussion and keyboard parts.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 18, 2010, 07:17:57 PM »

i forgot that he also sang lead on Help Me Rhonda on occasion.

MBE
« Reply #131 on: January 18, 2010, 09:30:50 PM »

From 1971-72 when Dennis wasn't playing drums he sang at various shows "Barbara", "Cuddle Up", "I've Got A Friend", "Forever". In 1973-74 he mostly sang Rhonda but did "Forever" at least once. I've heard a rumer he did a song called "Baby Baby".
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 18, 2010, 09:35:33 PM »

I didn't know that Barbara was performed live.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 19, 2010, 04:15:23 AM »

Another live Dennis one....

in the It's Ok special (and so i can assume this was the touring set up for that year), you can see a second drummer on a second kit with the rest of the musicians behind the barriers.... how was he used? at first i thought he was just a quick replacement if Dennis fell over/whatever, but then you see him playing at the same time. Was Denny's kit not mic'd up, or at least turned down, in case he made mistakes and threw off the band?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 19, 2010, 10:18:48 AM »

Another live Dennis one....

in the It's Ok special (and so i can assume this was the touring set up for that year), you can see a second drummer on a second kit with the rest of the musicians behind the barriers.... how was he used? at first i thought he was just a quick replacement if Dennis fell over/whatever, but then you see him playing at the same time. Was Denny's kit not mic'd up, or at least turned down, in case he made mistakes and threw off the band?
That's not a second "kit"...that's a percussionist, Bobby Figueroa, the Beach Boys always used a percussionist on stage starting in '68 whether Dennis or Ricky or whoever was on drums... they had Mike Kowalski, Dennis Dragon, Bobby F or somebody on percussion...there was ALWAYS a percussionist up there. They used double kits briefly in '74/75 and again in '83. In the Its OK film Dennis' drums are not only mic'd up, they are kicking butt throughout.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: January 19, 2010, 10:42:10 AM »

Ok, my mistake. Cheers Jon, i knew about the percussionists but always swore that was a second kit.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 19, 2010, 11:01:18 AM »

Here's a question: did Dennis routinely sing BVs at the drumset? I've seen footage and photos of him in the 70s with a wrap-around mic at the kit, but did he sing BVs/harmonies regularly. Would he ever sing lead and drum? Always curious...

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 19, 2010, 11:17:19 AM »

Here's a question: did Dennis routinely sing BVs at the drumset? I've seen footage and photos of him in the 70s with a wrap-around mic at the kit, but did he sing BVs/harmonies regularly. Would he ever sing lead and drum? Always curious...
Yes, but not a lot. Usually when he sang lead he came out front. But... around '65 to '68 he occasionally did some lead singing back there while on the drums. There were occasions where he drummed and sang Do You Wanna Dance live...and where he drummed and sang lead on the middle section of Surfer Girl. BV's... he tended to not sing them much in concert while drumming, which changed their blend since Dennis almost always sang BV's in the studio. He'd come out front in the early days for Surfer Girl, Hushabye, as he did in later days on Surfer Girl, In My room etc.. the blend ballads. The most obvious background part he sang WHILE drumming is on Its OK. If you can find footage of the band doing that song in '76/77 he's always singing his part on the tag while drumming. But more often in concert, if Dennis was going to sing, he came out front.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: January 19, 2010, 12:33:11 PM »

Yes, but not a lot. Usually when he sang lead he came out front. But... around '65 to '68 he occasionally did some lead singing back there while on the drums. There were occasions where he drummed and sang Do You Wanna Dance live...and where he drummed and sang lead on the middle section of Surfer Girl. BV's... he tended to not sing them much in concert while drumming, which changed their blend since Dennis almost always sang BV's in the studio. He'd come out front in the early days for Surfer Girl, Hushabye, as he did in later days on Surfer Girl, In My room etc.. the blend ballads. The most obvious background part he sang WHILE drumming is on Its OK. If you can find footage of the band doing that song in '76/77 he's always singing his part on the tag while drumming. But more often in concert, if Dennis was going to sing, he came out front.

There's photos from 1965 of Mike being a human mic stand for Dennis while he sings "Do You Wanna Dance" while drumming the while.  Grin

Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 19, 2010, 12:47:55 PM »

The most obvious background part he sang WHILE drumming is on Its OK. If you can find footage of the band doing that song in '76/77 he's always singing his part on the tag while drumming. But more often in concert, if Dennis was going to sing, he came out front.

Man, he 'got off' so much from literally taking over that song high on his kit on the close of "It's OK"!  He did sing some harmony parts 'back there' too, but found it tricky to sing & drum at the same time.  It drove him a little bats that Levon Helm, (The Band being one of the few groups he was a 'fan' of, particularly Rag Mama Rag), had such an easy time singing & playing at the same time.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 19, 2010, 04:45:27 PM »

Just listened to the live cut of "Hushabye" from 64 and there's a noticeable break between the beginning of the song and when the drums come in...I'm thinking Dennis jumped down to do the intro and sing and then add the drums after it was over? Same thing for the outro. On a side note, man does Brian sound fantastic on the high part on that particular recording!

The 76 footage of "It's OK" from the titular special is one of the times I remembered him singing and drumming.

Here's one I have of him from I think 1975, looking great and singing at the kit

Does anyone have the pic AGD is talking about?? I'd love to have it in my collection.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 19, 2010, 06:33:25 PM »

Wow, what a great shot!  And on his favorite drums, the clear kit!
Wonder what he's singing there?  Betcha' Mr. Boyd could figure it out!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: January 19, 2010, 09:44:04 PM »

Just listened to the live cut of "Hushabye" from 64 and there's a noticeable break between the beginning of the song and when the drums come in...I'm thinking Dennis jumped down to do the intro and sing and then add the drums after it was over? Same thing for the outro. On a side note, man does Brian sound fantastic on the high part on that particular recording!

The 76 footage of "It's OK" from the titular special is one of the times I remembered him singing and drumming.

Here's one I have of him from I think 1975, looking great and singing at the kit

Does anyone have the pic AGD is talking about?? I'd love to have it in my collection.

The Badman book.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 19, 2010, 09:49:17 PM »

Dennis sang on Hushabye?  Huh I thought it was Mike.

Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 19, 2010, 09:52:53 PM »

Dennis sang on Hushabye?  Huh I thought it was Mike.
They all sing on Hushabye...family blend.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 19, 2010, 09:55:59 PM »

Oh, I thought he meant the "solo" bit.

Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 20, 2010, 05:58:06 AM »

Here's a good look at Dennis singing the tag to It's OK while drumming. Go to the last two minutes of the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfDFee-GgU8
BillA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 20, 2010, 08:23:33 AM »

1. When the Beach Boys hired Ed Carter (1968), Bruce still played bass on the majority of songs  - see 'Live in London" where songs that had a heavy keyboard component in the studio (WIBN, SJB, California Girls) were done with Bruce on bass and no keyboard accompaniment.  If Bruce was going to be the primary bass player why didn't they bring on a keyboardist instead of a bassist?   

2. In 1978 Brian moved to bass (notorious Australian tour).  Was Ed Carter in the band at that time and if so what did he do?

In 1974 Mike Love's concept album Endless Summer ignited a second generation of Beach Boys fans and stirred a comeback that rocked the music world.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 20, 2010, 09:14:04 AM »

In 1978 Brian moved to bass (notorious Australian tour).  Was Ed Carter in the band at that time and if so what did he do?

Brian started playing some bass on BB's tours in late '76 and throughout '77, by Australia he'd been playing bass for a year and a half already, however he started dancing  Shocked ...and playing bass on more songs on that tour. Ed Carter would play guitar (or occasionally percussion)on the songs Brian played bass on(when he was there).
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 20, 2010, 10:50:14 AM »

Random question: Did Keith Badman release a new copy of his book that didn't contain the session musician's SSN?

Will he do a 2nd volume for say: 1978-1998?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx