gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:13:39 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
shadownoze, Aomdiddlywalla, parlay, Gosh Darn Highway, astroray, sloopjohnb72 (+ 1 Hidden) and 60 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399475 times)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #425 on: July 09, 2010, 10:47:43 PM »

There are hundreds of stories of "odd" behaviour from Brian Wilson when it comes to Beach Boys concerts. Anything from not showing up to a show, to being totally off the wall(Maryland 1977 for example). My question is, have their been any known cases of strange behaviour from Brian during his "comeback" and subsequent solo tours? The only thing I know of is the show with Al where he almost passed out and had to leave the stage.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #426 on: July 10, 2010, 01:21:01 AM »

I'ts easily the best Paley/Wilson song.  I'm just glad it didn't get the GIOMH treatment.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: July 10, 2010, 09:55:47 AM »

What are Brian's religious views?

I know he was raised Christian to some degree and attended church regularly (sang in its choir and the like), but I get the impression he only nominally Christian, if at all, and that he at least believes in some kind of god? I mean, I'm not expecting him to be a Spinozist or anything (although that'd be cool!), I'm just curious if it's ever been really discussed to any degree that a picture if his religious outlook (if any) can be explicated.

Something that gave me pause was the single-issue verse in "Love and Mercy" that he used during one broadcast, I think, and that was it: "I was praying to a god who just doesn't seem to hear / Oh, the blessings we need the most are what we all fear." (Clearly, Brian is my favourite philosopher!)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: July 10, 2010, 12:40:59 PM »

I think there are threads on this, actually. But I believe Brian would fit into that ever-popular relatively modern phenomenon of "spiritual, not religious." It's tough to say, though, in that he has dropped comments over decades while of various mental and chemically induced capacities. Add to that the difficulty in discerning actual intention sometimes, in terms of literal speech v metaphor ("i.e., the devil is out to get me"; horned guy with a pitchfork, or you feel you have bad luck?), and it's just hard to say. I'd say he has pretty consistently said he has belief in some kind of supernatural power of good that you could consider to be a god. But if you wanted to get into a theological discussion with him on specific doctrine, my guess is that he'd ask whether it wouldn't be more fun to watch Norbit over a couple of birthday cakes.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: July 10, 2010, 01:27:14 PM »

I believe Jeff is an evangelical Christian, so I'm sure he's talked to Brian about that side of things. But I don't think BW is showing up at a megachurch anytime soon.

"God did it" is an interesting unreleased track in this respect.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #430 on: July 10, 2010, 03:18:44 PM »

I've read interviews from the '90s/'00s with Brian wherein he states that music is the essence of God, or the presence of God, or perhaps IS God. He also has stated, essentially, that he believes (at least he has at some moments in his life) that Phil Spector is a manifestation of God. In the interview where Brian says that about Spector, his handler gets nervous and asks the interviewer to stop asking questions about Spector. Interesting stuff.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: July 10, 2010, 10:26:13 PM »

I believe Jeff is an evangelical Christian, so I'm sure he's talked to Brian about that side of things. But I don't think BW is showing up at a megachurch anytime soon.

"God did it" is an interesting unreleased track in this respect.

Jeff?

as in the Foskett variety?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #432 on: July 10, 2010, 11:11:28 PM »

Yep.

http://www.worldmag.com/articles/10225
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #433 on: July 11, 2010, 02:48:49 AM »

I know he was raised Christian to some degree and attended church regularly (sang in its choir and the like), but I get the impression he only nominally Christian, if at all, and that he at least believes in some kind of god? I mean, I'm not expecting him to be a Spinozist or anything (although that'd be cool!), I'm just curious if it's ever been really discussed to any degree that a picture if his religious outlook (if any) can be explicated.

Something that gave me pause was the single-issue verse in "Love and Mercy" that he used during one broadcast, I think, and that was it: "I was praying to a god who just doesn't seem to hear / Oh, the blessings we need the most are what we all fear." (Clearly, Brian is my favourite philosopher!)

Brian attended Mesa Presbyterian Church.

That deleted verse in "L&M" was penned by Landy... and which single have you heard it on ? I've only ever heard performed live.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: July 11, 2010, 07:43:06 AM »

Brian attended Mesa Presbyterian Church.

That deleted verse in "L&M" was penned by Landy... and which single have you heard it on ? I've only ever heard performed live.

I should have guessed that it would be Landy, I suppose!

I meant 'single-issue' as in 'used once' rather than 'issued as a single', sorry.
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #435 on: July 11, 2010, 09:15:21 AM »

So, if they made the Smile Box Set everybody's been talking about, what would it contain that we don't already have on bootlegs?
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: July 13, 2010, 06:21:05 PM »

I've always wondered about the title: Terri, She needs me...I always thought someone missheard Sheri She Needs me from the Brian vocal in 76-77-78, whichever...but now I read on AGD's site that Terri was written or recorded around 88, was this for the BW solo album? using the old backing track or new one?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: July 13, 2010, 11:08:12 PM »

Another dumb question... is Brian a shapeshifter? I mean seriously, how did he manage to repeatedly look like a different person throughout his life? Sure, there are similarities that you can see throughout the decades, but I have difficulty reconciling in my mind 60s Brian (hell, even 62-63 Brian vs. 66-67 Brian is somewhat dramatic) with mid-late 70s Brian, late 80s Brian, and then late 90s-2000s Brian. It's almost like an anomaly, I swear. Very strange.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 11:10:33 PM by Dada » Logged
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #438 on: July 14, 2010, 10:22:38 AM »

I've always thought the same thing, just never knew how to ask it.  3D

~post of the century~
-Mikie

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #439 on: July 14, 2010, 10:51:01 AM »

There's this incredible photo used in the BWPS doc where 66-67 Brian looks like his old self - it's one where he's playing a mellotron or something wearing red tinted glasses.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #440 on: July 14, 2010, 10:58:30 AM »

Know the one you mean - it's the one with the dolls still in their display rack behind him. There's a B&W print in Leaf's book.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #441 on: July 14, 2010, 11:08:58 AM »

It's all about the hairstyle and beards.

Here's an exception that proves the point. Brian talking about Pet Sounds in the mid-90s. For whatever reason, he's decided to style his hair like it was in the 1960s, and wear a striped shirt (!). You can see it's the same guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAEt3IKnZWY
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #442 on: July 14, 2010, 12:35:43 PM »

So, if they made the Smile Box Set everybody's been talking about, what would it contain that we don't already have on bootlegs?
Anyone?
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #443 on: July 14, 2010, 12:51:38 PM »

Anyone?

It would have better quality tracks of certain songs for one thing I believe. There's also stuff we've never heard before, maybe that'll mysteriously surface  Grin
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #444 on: July 14, 2010, 12:56:45 PM »

It's all about the hairstyle and beards.

Here's an exception that proves the point. Brian talking about Pet Sounds in the mid-90s. For whatever reason, he's decided to style his hair like it was in the 1960s, and wear a striped shirt (!). You can see it's the same guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAEt3IKnZWY
The History of Rock and Roll, 1993 or 94. Also contains the infamous sequence where Brian gets Alan to hold his nose to imitate Mike. Great doc.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #445 on: July 14, 2010, 12:58:06 PM »

[If this deserves its own thread, do say so!]

I was watching this amusing YouTube video, which details the various songs that Brian has (at least) inserted the "Shortenin' Bread" bass riff into, and it got me a-wonderin' about other examples of this sort of musical recycling. I guess I'm not especially good at this sort of auditory guesswork because I've only noticed it before in the 'dit-dit-dit' melody bits of "All Dressed Up for School" > "Games Two Can Play" > "Marcella" [and, at that, only especially in the first two]. Any other neat examples would be instructive and fun too! Smiley

Additionally, how did Brian come to know "Sloop John B", was it actually through Al? I ask because on the recent (like, last year or two, I think) In the Garage SOT boot there was a disc of early home rehearsals with the Wilson family where "Sloop John B" was featured (Audre was singing lead, if I recall correctly; I no longer have the boot). Putting aside whether the song is even a genuine folk song, did he just learn it from his parents and eventually Al brought it up as a possible single independently, or was Al at this family musical gathering as well and brought up working on that song in particularly as he remembered (ostensibly) liking singing it already? It obviously doesn't matter much, but I am, after all, still an obsessive enough Beach Boys fan (and a burgeoning folk enthusiast) to not only post on a BBs/BW fan forum... but to care about and be interested in such questions as well!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #446 on: July 14, 2010, 01:12:17 PM »

Alan suggested it to Brian circa 1965, Brian did his arrangement, yadda yadda yadda and last I heard, Alan was still bitching that he never got credit for 'inspiring' Brian to record it. Y'know, I try but sometimes it's hard to warm to the guy.

Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #447 on: July 14, 2010, 01:19:37 PM »

That is precious. Does Al think the music industry still works, with respect to songwriting credits and publications, as if it were the early 20th century? Well, I suppose if he is the token "folkie" of the group it would not be so strange.
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #448 on: July 14, 2010, 01:21:19 PM »

How many Beach Boys vocals that are double-tracked come in single-track versions, and where could I find them?
Jason
« Reply #449 on: July 14, 2010, 01:31:10 PM »

Look on the SOTs. For pretty much every track that has this - (1st vocal overdub) - next to the track name, it means you have the master take vocal but only the first overdub.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx