gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681101 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 23, 2024, 04:10:54 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 70 71 [72] 73 74 75 76 77 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1417578 times)
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1775 on: August 04, 2011, 09:02:22 AM »

Happenstance that Frank Holmes is at the convention 10 days after the supposed relase date of Smile?

We've put a deposit on every last copy of the box for him to sign, so don't worry about trying to find one - they'll all be in Surrey.  Grin
I'll bet you did too! Wink The man is gonna have one tired hand after that visit.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: August 04, 2011, 10:38:08 AM »

(Thanks to whoever had a cold during Wendy!)

Sounds like a Dennis cough to me.
I've always thought that too.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: August 04, 2011, 10:44:19 AM »

As promised/threatened - Stomp Conventions, the when/where/who

8/11/79 - Exeter, Devon
8/30/80 - Wealdstone, Middlesex
9/12/81 - Sudbury, Middlesex
9/11/82 - Harrow, Middlesex
9/17/83 - Harrow, Middlesex
9/15/84 - Harrow, Middlesex
9/14/85 - Harrow, Middlesex
9/13/86 - Harrow, Middlesex
9/12/87 - Watford, Hertforshire
9/24/88 - Greenford, Middlesex [Brian Wilson] [10th]
9/23/89 - Greenford, Middlesex
9/22/90 - Greenford, Middlesex
9/21/91 - Greenford, Middlesex
9/26/92 - Greenford, Middlesex
9/18/93 - Greenford, Middlesex [Andy Paley]
9/17/94 - Greenford, Middlesex
9/16/95 - Greenford, Middlesex
9/21/96 - Greenford, Middlesex
9/20/97 - Greenford, Middlesex [Tony Asher]
9/19/98 - Greenford, Middlesex [20th]
10/30/99 - Greenford, Middlesex
9/16/00 - Greenford, Middlesex [Billy Hinsche]
9/15/01 - Greenford, Middlesex
9/21/02 - Greenford, Middlesex
9/20/03 - Greenford, Middlesex [Fred Vail] [25th]
9/18/04 - Greenford, Middlesex [David Marks]
9/17/05 - Greenford, Middlesex [Marilyn Wilson-Rutherford]
9/16/06 - Greenford, Middlesex [Stephen J. Kalinich]
9/29/07 - Greenford, Middlesex [Domenic Priore]
11/1/08 - Camberley, Surrey [Barbara Wilson & Annie Wilson-Karges] [30th]
10/3/09 - Camberley, Surrey [Jack Rieley via video link]
10/2/10 - cancelled
10/15/11 - Camberley, Surrey [? Frank Holmes]
Dang! Thanks a lot! I've missed out a lot. Somehow, I figure a convention would be like this board, bunch of BB-hardcore-geeks/fans standing around arguing/discussing everything they think has never been discussed before, haha, I'm included in that. I try to dig up stuff that I think hasn't been discussed before, well, at least I haven't discussed it before.  Wink

It's like this one time I talked to Ken Kerchival (Cliff Barnes from the tv show: Dallas), I was young and kinda knew some facts about Dallas but as I asked him typical questions he said: "Justin, there aren't any questions out there that haven't been asked before, just the same old questions." "Did think Dallas was gonna be a hit?" "What'd you think of season 8 being a whole dream?"  etc. etc.   

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: August 04, 2011, 10:45:32 AM »

Happenstance that Frank Holmes is at the convention 10 days after the supposed relase date of Smile?

We've put a deposit on every last copy of the box for him to sign, so don't worry about trying to find one - they'll all be in Surrey.  Grin
I'll bet you did too! Wink The man is gonna have one tired hand after that visit.
I think a "that's what she said" joke is in there somewhere.  Grin

~post of the century~
-Mikie

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: August 04, 2011, 11:05:05 AM »

QUESTION:

On the Pet Sounds Box set, the "highlights of the session" for That's Not Me, at the beginning, contains a piano riff that sounds like a part of a track from the Unsurpassed Masters of Pet Sounds, I think it's titled Piano Intermezzo or something of that nature, is it part of That's Not Me?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: August 04, 2011, 03:09:49 PM »

Was the article that's in the LLVS book, (I can't remember the title), it has a photo of Brian and a drawring of the BB as puppets and Bruce's shirt as a BR IAN then UCE under it...was that in color or black/white?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1781 on: August 04, 2011, 03:12:50 PM »

Was the article that's in the LLVS book, (I can't remember the title), it has a photo of Brian and a drawring of the BB as puppets and Bruce's shirt as a BR IAN then UCE under it...was that in color or black/white?

B&W - it's from a 1966 UK daily newspaper (Express, I think).

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1782 on: August 04, 2011, 03:18:45 PM »

Dang! Thanks a lot! I've missed out a lot. Somehow, I figure a convention would be like this board, bunch of BB-hardcore-geeks/fans standing around arguing/discussing everything they think has never been discussed before, haha, I'm included in that. I try to dig up stuff that I think hasn't been discussed before, well, at least I haven't discussed it before.  Wink

It's like this one time I talked to Ken Kerchival (Cliff Barnes from the tv show: Dallas), I was young and kinda knew some facts about Dallas but as I asked him typical questions he said: "Justin, there aren't any questions out there that haven't been asked before, just the same old questions." "Did think Dallas was gonna be a hit?" "What'd you think of season 8 being a whole dream?"  etc. etc.   

Forgot, we also showed (then) rare videos - Brian made a couple especially for us and we had to sign to promise Landy we'd not copy them - and played (then) rare tracks. It's something to see the expressions of about 300 people hearing the Smile version of "Wonderful" for the very first time, or "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'".  These things lasted about 6-8 hours, and then maybe another 4-5 in the bar afterwards. Great days, happy days.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: August 04, 2011, 03:30:42 PM »

QUESTION:

On the Pet Sounds Box set, the "highlights of the session" for That's Not Me, at the beginning, contains a piano riff that sounds like a part of a track from the Unsurpassed Masters of Pet Sounds, I think it's titled Piano Intermezzo or something of that nature, is it part of That's Not Me?

I think it's just noodling on the piano taken from the day of the session

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
ghost
« Reply #1784 on: August 05, 2011, 09:16:18 AM »

Can someone tell me what specifically Brian is diagnosed with? I am wondering if we share any similar diagnoseses.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1785 on: August 05, 2011, 02:58:00 PM »

The track of Angel Come Home that was on the Get the Boot disc was from back in 76, but why is the tempo/speed for the track different from the released cut on the Light Album?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: August 05, 2011, 03:06:23 PM »

Why is Summertime Blues an encore for Mike and Bruce's band?  Huh

~post of the century~
-Mikie

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: August 05, 2011, 09:22:29 PM »

B&W - it's from a 1966 UK daily newspaper (Express, I think).

B&W and 1966 - correct, though the publication was Melody Maker from November 12.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: August 05, 2011, 10:14:47 PM »

Jumpin Jack Flash. Why has this been a staple to concerts over the years, including 2011 now. Like Dennis with YASB, maybe Mike had a hand in the writing! Grin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztFcpguCB8o&feature=related

Anyone?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 10:16:12 PM by TheOther Anonymous » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: August 05, 2011, 10:23:03 PM »

Does a version of Barnyard exist with the backing vocals, but without the animal sounds?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1790 on: August 06, 2011, 12:07:19 AM »

Check the track list for the first album.  Smiley

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: August 06, 2011, 07:14:02 AM »

I think it's a subtle invitation to David to rejoin the band; but only if Dave asks, so Mike can have the upper hand.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Curtis Leon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: August 07, 2011, 07:19:18 AM »

Can someone tell me what specifically Brian is diagnosed with? I am wondering if we share any similar diagnoseses.

AFAIK, it's Schizoaffective disorder.

...Oh, wait, you wanted me to make a joke about your post quality. Uh, well, I'm sure you two have very much in common outside of the mental illness department.
ghost
« Reply #1793 on: August 07, 2011, 09:08:37 AM »

AFAIK, it's Schizoaffective disorder.

...Oh, wait, you wanted me to make a joke about your post quality. Uh, well, I'm sure you two have very much in common outside of the mental illness department.

No I was seriously inquiring. Schizoaffective, eh? So says their connect the dots textbooks. Ha!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: August 07, 2011, 01:31:27 PM »

I realize it's on there, but of all the covers (and there's many!) the BB have done over the years, about 1/2 are just non-innovative such as Summertime Blues, Peggy Sue, Then I Kissed Her (I understand that's a fav of Brian and likes to perform it), A Casual Look, Runaway, etc. I also could see Summertime Blues being part of the setlist, that's cool, but it's just odd that it's an encore, in my opinion.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: August 07, 2011, 02:42:24 PM »

I think it's because it's a crowdpleaser that the boomers like, and the fact it's in their discography is a bonus.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: August 10, 2011, 09:05:58 PM »

Concerning the booklet that was to be made for the Holland album, were there any prints made up for it?

Like the Smile booklets and prints of the Holland album with We Got Love listed on the tracklisting.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: August 10, 2011, 09:23:38 PM »

Does Carl mess up during the fade of It's Getting Late? He starts to sing "You got me", but then quickly stops, and then you hear just the backing vocals.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 12:35:27 AM by Jay » Logged

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: August 11, 2011, 12:23:13 AM »

Concerning the booklet that was to be made for the Holland album, were there any prints made up for it?

Like the Smile booklets and prints of the Holland album with We Got Love listed on the tracklisting.

Don't know how many copies circulate of that Holland promotional booklet, but seeing that it's offered regularly on Ebay my guess is it's not that rare (but definitely worth buying!)

I think only a few (original) SMiLE booklets survived.
Holland albums that have We Got Love listed on the back sleeve: as far as I know only Canadian and French pressings contain that error. I'm not sure if there's only a small amount of Canadian pressings that have that error. It's being offered regularly, so my guess is that a lot of these were made. And I have yet to discover a French pressing without WGL being listed.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1799 on: August 11, 2011, 12:36:21 AM »

Was WGL on the album(s) itself, or was it just listed on the back cover?

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 70 71 [72] 73 74 75 76 77 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx