gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681102 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 23, 2024, 12:44:07 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1417679 times)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1575 on: June 23, 2011, 12:20:14 AM »

When the group recorded their version of "I Was Made to Love Her", was James Jamerson's original bass line recreated? Or was it simplified? In my opinion, that bass line as played by James Jamerson is one of the all time best in rock music. But it seems complicated to me. But then again I have no training or any real knowledge of chord patterns.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1576 on: June 23, 2011, 12:21:15 AM »

I was reading on one of my numerous print outs, I think it was from Mtvernonandfairway.de that there was discussion of a song called Lori but it was just a re-write of the song Number One which is just a re-write of Visions....My questions are, who sings on Lori and Visions? Was Lori ever released? and Why didn't Brian use that melody for something more important like the albums he was working on at the time? Surfin' USA coulda used another slow number and kick one of those instrumentals out.

"Visions"  -as "Number One" - is the B side of the Rachel & The Revolvers 45... I think "Lori" is a Glen Campbell song - he surely did a demo of it.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: June 23, 2011, 12:32:52 AM »

*Nevermind....posted in the wrong topic*
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 12:48:13 AM by Jay » Logged

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: June 23, 2011, 12:39:08 AM »

I was reading on one of my numerous print outs, I think it was from Mtvernonandfairway.de that there was discussion of a song called Lori but it was just a re-write of the song Number One which is just a re-write of Visions....My questions are, who sings on Lori and Visions? Was Lori ever released? and Why didn't Brian use that melody for something more important like the albums he was working on at the time? Surfin' USA coulda used another slow number and kick one of those instrumentals out.

"Visions"  -as "Number One" - is the B side of the Rachel & The Revolvers 45... I think "Lori" is a Glen Campbell song - he surely did a demo of it.
Really?
Is it "available" or at least "audible" from some type of source?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: June 23, 2011, 12:40:32 AM »

I saw where Brian (along with Carnie and Wendy) recorded Sweetie in the mid-90s...would this be the same song that appears on a lot of Paley/demo boots?

Would this have been around the time of Brian recording Do it Again with the girls during IJWMFTT or around the time they recorded Let Him Run Wild or (if it was a different time) when they recorded material for The Wilsons?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 12:43:00 AM by punkinhead » Logged

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: June 23, 2011, 12:44:57 AM »

Looking at items recorded around Pet Sounds, Good Vibrations, and Smile; one song that I've never heard come up is something called Excuse Me Baby which was recorded on 5/66 according to my sources, any story on this?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: June 23, 2011, 12:48:45 AM »

Yep, I'm full of questions to ponder tonight  Cheesy

With the situation of the home studio being built in Brian's house around Smiley Smile and then Marilyn having it taken out by 73, what were the first and last songs recorded there?

With a majority of the material from 67-73 recorded in that studio, what songs were recorded outside of the home studio during that time? (besides Holland!)

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1582 on: June 23, 2011, 04:16:32 AM »

Looking at items recorded around Pet Sounds, Good Vibrations, and Smile; one song that I've never heard come up is something called Excuse Me Baby which was recorded on 5/66 according to my sources, any story on this?

Gigs & sessions 1966

I think you need to stop reading Badman.  Grin

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1583 on: June 23, 2011, 04:21:11 AM »

Yep, I'm full of questions to ponder tonight  Cheesy

With the situation of the home studio being built in Brian's house around Smiley Smile and then Marilyn having it taken out by 73, what were the first and last songs recorded there?

With a majority of the material from 67-73 recorded in that studio, what songs were recorded outside of the home studio during that time? (besides Holland!)

Gigs & sessions 1966 - Gigs & sessions 1972

At the risk of blowing my own trumpet, suggest you check out Bellagio 10452 first, then if the answer isn't there, ask here.  Wink

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: June 23, 2011, 02:13:18 PM »

Yep, I'm full of questions to ponder tonight  Cheesy

Gigs & sessions 1966 - Gigs & sessions 1972

At the risk of blowing my own trumpet, suggest you check out Bellagio 10452 first, then if the answer isn't there, ask here.  Wink
Here's a question for Mr. Doe or anyone who researches and posts on a site for resources/research and such:

When there's a song in question that you've posted on your site, for instance, Basketball Rock (I think the title is) from around 78, what is your reference? From a basic book or a session sheet or word of mouth from interview?
Does that question make sense?
Where does your hard to find factoids come from?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1585 on: June 23, 2011, 02:36:20 PM »

Here's a question for Mr. Doe or anyone who researches and posts on a site for resources/research and such:

When there's a song in question that you've posted on your site, for instance, Basketball Rock (I think the title is) from around 78, what is your reference? From a basic book or a session sheet or word of mouth from interview?

Basically... all of those. AFM sheets, articles, CD booklets, interviews, books. Plus, having a stupidly retentive memory for such trivia helps.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: June 23, 2011, 03:10:25 PM »

Basically... all of those. AFM sheets, articles, CD booklets, interviews, books. Plus, having a stupidly retentive memory for such trivia helps.
gotcha! Thanks.

One day I hope to be just like you, havin my own BB book published and possessor of much BB/BW knowledge.  Wink

~post of the century~
-Mikie

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: June 23, 2011, 03:27:03 PM »

gotcha! Thanks.

One day I hope to be just like you, havin my own BB book published and possessor of much BB/BW knowledge.  Wink

Maybe you could apprentice to AGD?  better work on a better pic, tho.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: June 23, 2011, 06:52:19 PM »

gotcha! Thanks.

Maybe you could apprentice to AGD?  better work on a better pic, tho.
my pic? whats wrong with it?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1589 on: June 23, 2011, 11:33:03 PM »

gotcha! Thanks.

No you don't. Trust me.  Wink

Curtis Leon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1590 on: June 24, 2011, 02:02:10 PM »

When the group recorded their version of "I Was Made to Love Her", was James Jamerson's original bass line recreated? Or was it simplified? In my opinion, that bass line as played by James Jamerson is one of the all time best in rock music. But it seems complicated to me. But then again I have no training or any real knowledge of chord patterns.

If you listen to the Sea of Tunes boots on the song, you can hear it being recreated in the sessions. Brian cut off the opening from the finished product, though, for some unfathomable reason.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: June 24, 2011, 02:11:08 PM »

Jamerson is a ridiculously hard bass player to copy, and the BB's version is pretty close to Stevie, so I'd say either Brian was practising A LOT (best bassist of the group) or it's a session player

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: June 24, 2011, 03:52:45 PM »

Jamerson is a ridiculously hard bass player to copy, and the BB's version is pretty close to Stevie, so I'd say either Brian was practising A LOT (best bassist of the group) or it's a session player
I'd argue that Al was a better bass player than Brian, he certainly played bass on more of the classic BB's stuff than Brian did. Of course Brian told him what to play, but Al locked in rhythmically better than Brian ever did. BTW, IMO neither of those guys were up to "I Was Made To Love Her", that's gotta be a session player.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 03:55:08 PM by Jon Stebbins » Logged
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: June 24, 2011, 04:02:39 PM »

I'd argue that Al was a better bass player than Brian, he certainly played bass on more of the classic BB's stuff than Brian did. Of course Brian told him what to play, but Al locked in rhythmically better than Brian ever did. BTW, IMO neither of those guys were up to "I Was Made To Love Her", that's gotta be a session player.

It's gotta be Carol....

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Jason
« Reply #1594 on: June 24, 2011, 04:04:02 PM »

Wasn't it Ray Pohlman on I Was Made To Love Her?
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1595 on: June 30, 2011, 06:39:19 AM »

Do we know who did backing vox on Here Today? To what degree was it was a full-band effort and how much of it was Brian and 1 or 2  BBs overdubbing? Sounds quite BW=heavy to me. Brian is obviously there, and I think I can I hear Dennis on outro to the vox-only on the box set.

It seems that, given we know that most of IJWMFTT BGs were BW, he seemed to use full group on the bigger cuts/singles, and maybe not on the other album tracks?

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: July 02, 2011, 10:53:38 AM »

This will likely get more of a response here than in the general music section, I suppose, so I'll put it here (it can be moved if too inappropriate): Does anyone know the original songwriters for what are presumably authentic Trinidadian calypsos that VDP recorded for Discover America? In particular, I'm wondering about "FDR in Trinidad" as all I can find are his recorded as well as Ry Cooder's. Would it be worthwhile to email him about this if nothing turns up?
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: July 02, 2011, 05:02:21 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discover_America

"All songs Public Domain and arranged by VDP unless otherwise stated"  Roll Eyes

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Christian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: July 03, 2011, 02:04:54 AM »

see this ad for the composersīnames:

Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: July 03, 2011, 11:22:59 AM »

Thanks a lot! I'm wary of crediting music to traditional or public domain sources since this is sometimes done when the performer doesn't know the original songwriter (or at least the earliest known performer at any rate), which is why I asked. (The liner notes to the album mention that he hopes the original songwriters get their dues but doesn't mention who any of them are!)
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx