gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:26:17 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Iain Lee's Opinion Of This Forum: "I'd kill everybody on that board. Everybody."  (Read 35645 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: September 02, 2016, 09:43:19 AM »

I want to write a message directly to Iain regarding his claims, and what he has been telling his social media audience (and others) about certain things that happened here. It's not to stir sh*t, it's not to cause tensions, but he is making some claims that can and will be addressed by "the other side" of the issues so everyone can make their own judgements.

I will do that within the next day due to my work schedule. If a separate thread as a direct (and public) message to Iain and his audience who seem to be clicking on the links to this board is warranted, please let me know and it will be done.

Otherwise, I don't see this thread being locked if people have something to say and haven't had a chance yet. And I'm simply unable now to write what I feel has to be written.

Suffice it to say, what Iain is telling his audiences is not entirely accurate, and as someone who tried both directly and indirectly to reach out to him multiple times publicly and through third party members here who said they were in contact with him, I want the record to be set straight so everyone knows all sides before passing judgement on anyone or anything. Because as it stands now, you're getting only a portion of what actually happened, and it's not fair to all involved.

Iain was given multiple chances publicly and privately to tell his side of things, and invited to engage in discussions about his article and other things too. He chose not to, and instead in June said what he said before his current round of posts. Now I/we get a chance at a rebuttal and clarification. That's how discussion works.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: September 02, 2016, 09:45:01 AM »

Dr Beach Boy - You're still welcome to take part in the discussions here. But if your purpose is to come here to agitate and confront people, it's not welcome. Tend to your own business, or take a hike entirely.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 02, 2016, 09:52:01 AM »

Doctor, please let us "wallow in our own feces" (I'm quoting one of your posts "there"). Neither Billy nor Craig ever go to disturb your havenly (pun intended) peace there. Pay us the same respect.
I can't speak for the board obviously, but speaking just for myself: please let us alone.
You betcha! Tell your fearless leader Craig to stop referencing us in here and I will be quite happy to leave you wallowing...
drbeachboy, it seems there's commentary on each board about the other. Obviously, things would be more pleasant if that stopped on both sides. I don't support it here. But crossing over to the other board just to criticize seems like an extra unnecessary step. It's clear that there's acrimony both ways. It's like former roommates who ended up quarrelling. While they will each complain to their friends about each other, it's not helpful to keep going to the former roommate's apartment to tell him how much he sucks.
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 02, 2016, 09:56:27 AM »

Doctor, please let us "wallow in our own feces" (I'm quoting one of your posts "there"). Neither Billy nor Craig ever go to disturb your havenly (pun intended) peace there. Pay us the same respect.
I can't speak for the board obviously, but speaking just for myself: please let us alone.
You betcha! Tell your fearless leader Craig to stop referencing us in here and I will be quite happy to leave you wallowing...
Craig is not my "leader" in any way (I don't have one). He's one of the most savvy Beach Boys scholars I know, and one of our two excellent moderators. Love

While I never go to that board, I've certainly appreciated Craig's and others' references to various of us being trashed - some possibly even libeled/defamed - there.  We also deserve to know that some  fool has "joked" publicly about wanting to kill us while still posting here and trying to pretend to be anything but a troll - playing the "poor me, no one like's me. I'll stomp off now", card.  I like being informed without my having to go to those "peaceful"  Roll Eyes boards, FB pages (or whatever) myself.  I'm aware of some of the posters there and have no desire to ever interact with those folks again, so this is my "peaceful" place, along with BW.  

My only curiosity remaining about the guy is how he could have once worked for BBC, apparently lost that job, and is now at the level of trolling BB-related message boards to write attack pieces.  How sad, if that is indeed true.  If he wants to whine publicly for attention these days, fine. I'm happy to avoid those places and be spared that.  

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 02, 2016, 09:56:33 AM »

Doctor, please let us "wallow in our own feces" (I'm quoting one of your posts "there", in the a "Refugee from the Dark Side*" thread). Neither Billy nor Craig ever go to disturb your havenly - pun intended - peace there. Pay us the same respect.

* It's surreal. Now we are "the Dark Side". But then, having suffered from asthma all my life, probably a Darth Vader costume would fit me... Jedi Duel

w00t! w00t! w00t!

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: September 02, 2016, 09:59:39 AM »

Good riddance to that bunch. Roll Eyes

Instead of wasting valuable space, just imagine 37 woots!!

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 02, 2016, 10:00:23 AM »

Pirate Violin Ninja Jedi Duel Head Spin Computer Smash! Whatever!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: September 02, 2016, 10:02:33 AM »

I should mention that my suggestion to close the thread was really mainly due to another person popping up who doesn't want to be here yet can't stop themselves from posting here for some reason.

Emily's post on this is perfectly put. The posts contained within each board referencing the other are often silly and unneeded (e.g. "I joined here to get away from that other board"), but it takes an extra step and extra purposeful action to go onto the board you ostensibly have so much disdain for, to mainly continue to snipe.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 10:03:13 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: September 02, 2016, 10:03:50 AM »

Craig is not my "leader" in any way (I don't have one). He's one of the most savvy Beach Boys scholars I know, and one of our two excellent moderators. Love

While I never go to that board, I've certainly appreciated Craig's and others' references to various of us being trashed - some possibly even libeled/defamed - there.  We also deserve to know that some  fool has "joked" publicly about wanting to kill us while still posting here and trying to pretend to be anything but a troll - playing the "poor me, no one like's me. I'll stomp off now", card.  I like being informed without my having to go to those "peaceful"  Roll Eyes boards, FB pages (or whatever) myself.  I'm aware of some of the posters there and have no desire to ever interact with those folks again, so this is my "peaceful" place, along with BW.  

My only curiosity remaining about the guy is how he could have once worked for BBC, apparently lost that job, and is now at the level of trolling BB-related message boards to write attack pieces.  How sad, if that is indeed true.  If he wants to whine publicly for attention these days, fine. I'm happy to avoid those places and be spared that.  

amen

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 02, 2016, 10:06:17 AM »

drbeachboy, it seems there's commentary on each board about the other. Obviously, things would be more pleasant if that stopped on both sides. I don't support it here. But crossing over to the other board just to criticize seems like an extra unnecessary step. It's clear that there's acrimony both ways. It's like former roommates who ended up quarrelling. While they will each complain to their friends about each other, it's not helpful to keep going to the former roommate's apartment to tell him how much he sucks.

Emily - It would be nice if it all ended.  I'm well aware that several people on the "peaceful" board don't like me.  Happily, I don't care, have no intention of going there and whining about it and I don't have to look at it if they make a comment.  I don't foresee this ending in the near future, sadly.  Some people seem to still want to settle scores and keep popping up here.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 02, 2016, 10:16:20 AM »

I guess maybe because I've been on the internet for now over 20 years, I've seen far, far weirder groups of fans. Even just among music fans.

This place is often more analytical than other places, but that's what separates it from the "everything is awesome!!!!" communities online. With all due respect, I'm glad this board isn't the "Endless Summer Quarterly" of message boards. Those things have their place too.

I *do* think there are very few cases where a main member of a band has such a large number of detractors among that band's actual hardcore fans. And while I think as fans some self-reflection is always important; we do need to look at how we're acting and our attitudes, I think that interesting factoid about BB fans has far more to do with *Mike Love* than it does the fans. The fans aren't the ones saying and doing all of the things Mike says and does.

I was talking awhile back with someone and we were trying to determine if a George Lucas-Mike Love analogy was apt enough. That is, a main creative figure in a franchise where huge droves of fans heap such scorn. I think the analogy is good enough to make a very general comparison, but I don't think even George Lucas is quite as deserving of the criticism quite as much as Mike is.  
I don't know,,,Lucas DID create Jar Jar Binks...I would rather put Kokomo on repeat for 2 hours then have to watch Jar Jar Binks for 2 hours...  LOL
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 02, 2016, 10:18:09 AM »

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: September 02, 2016, 10:33:02 AM »

For those needing to keep track, it appears the Facebook commenter's "lure Beach Boys fans to a theater and poison them with gas" comment has been removed (presumably either by Mr. Lee or the commenter; I believe those are the only two that can do that).

A comment critical of Mr. Lee has also been removed.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 02, 2016, 10:38:22 AM »

Good riddance jerk.... Roll Eyes

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 02, 2016, 10:42:25 AM »

I guess maybe because I've been on the internet for now over 20 years, I've seen far, far weirder groups of fans. Even just among music fans.

This place is often more analytical than other places, but that's what separates it from the "everything is awesome!!!!" communities online. With all due respect, I'm glad this board isn't the "Endless Summer Quarterly" of message boards. Those things have their place too.

I *do* think there are very few cases where a main member of a band has such a large number of detractors among that band's actual hardcore fans. And while I think as fans some self-reflection is always important; we do need to look at how we're acting and our attitudes, I think that interesting factoid about BB fans has far more to do with *Mike Love* than it does the fans. The fans aren't the ones saying and doing all of the things Mike says and does.

I was talking awhile back with someone and we were trying to determine if a George Lucas-Mike Love analogy was apt enough. That is, a main creative figure in a franchise where huge droves of fans heap such scorn. I think the analogy is good enough to make a very general comparison, but I don't think even George Lucas is quite as deserving of the criticism quite as much as Mike is.  
I don't know,,,Lucas DID create Jar Jar Binks...I would rather put Kokomo on repeat for 2 hours then have to watch Jar Jar Binks for 2 hours...  LOL
I FULLY agree. Lucas has done great damage to the actual product. Ugh. What happened to the Star Wars that I used to know?
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 02, 2016, 10:55:41 AM »

Basically, Billy, I hoped to bring to light some of the perceived problems with this board.

Debbie, GF, and to a lesser extent yourself decided you'd rather go on the offensive rather than have a productive dialog. 

So, I know all I need to know.  The Smiley Smile Message Board is a haven for Brianistas.  Anyone with an opinion which doesn't follow the Brianista agenda probably shouldn't post there. 

That's pretty much what I expected.  Thought I don't really understand how people who worship a man who has spent over half a century creating beautiful, life changing music can be so bitter, crass, and hate filled. 

As I've said many times on here.  I'm a fan of The Beach Boys.  I'm a fan of Brian Wilson, Carl Wilson, Dennis Wilson, Al Jardine, David Marks, Blondie Chaplin, Bruce Johnston, Ricky Fataar, and yes, Mike Love. 

I gladly pay to see Brian Wilson and his great band and Mike Love and his great band, and enjoy every note. 

I listen to everything from Surfin to No Pier Pressure, and everything in between, some more than others. 

But, for my own well being, I'm taking an extended leave from this board before a certain small portion make me start resenting the very music that I love enough to make me sign up for such a message board. 

Oh, No!! How will we manage to thrive here?? Only an extended leave? When you come back (and you will...soon to be exact) make sure you find a way to grow a bit of hard bark so you don't get easily insulted and run away with your young tail between your legs. Have fun over at the snoozefest while it lasts.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: September 02, 2016, 11:13:54 AM »

I love how the 'peace and love' board has many (but not all) of its members be people who leave here in a huff because of all of the 'negativity' yet are continuing to throw pot shots, yet can't handle it when it's thrown back their way. Nice guys, huh? Oh, and even better...a member here signed up over there and did an introduction...and then was attacked by those same people! I guess the kindness and peacefulness only applies if you're part of the clique . Craig and I have not registered accounts there to bash people either.

Keep all of the above in mind if you do register an account there and you're not a part of the clique.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 02, 2016, 11:35:10 AM »

Dr Beach Boy - You're still welcome to take part in the discussions here. But if your purpose is to come here to agitate and confront people, it's not welcome. Tend to your own business, or take a hike entirely.
I was agitated here first. I was only responding to your post. As you say, I am still welcome to take part in discussions here. There was no need for the others to come after me before you had a chance to respond.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 02, 2016, 12:02:12 PM »

Doctor, you can't write that we "wallow in our feces" (and there is no need to "spy", it's there for everyone to read, took me all of a whoppin' minute to reach it) and act all surprised and offended if one of the "wallowers" takes a quite civil exception.  
Someone said that you can decide to be either friend or tyrant, but not both at the same time. Meditate on that, it's not only valid for politics.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 12:05:17 PM by thorgil » Logged

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: September 02, 2016, 12:09:39 PM »

Someone said that you can decide to be either friend or tyrant, but not both at the same time.

Well said.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: September 02, 2016, 12:22:03 PM »

Doctor, you can't write that we "wallow in our feces" (and there is no need to "spy", it's there for everyone to read, took me all of a whoppin' minute to reach it) and act all surprised and offended if one of the "wallowers" takes a quite civil exception.  
Someone said that you can decide to be either friend or tyrant, but not both at the same time. Meditate on that, it's not only valid for politics.

I have no problem with the swipes, I expected it. What I have a problem with is Craig telling me "But if your purpose is to come here to agitate and confront people...". I wasn't agitating or confronting. I came in to confirm Craig's point that I originally took offense to Iain's Mike Love thread when he first started it. You and Smile Brian took swipes at me and I responded and defended myself.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 12:23:18 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: September 02, 2016, 12:30:36 PM »

You and Smile Brian took swipes at me and I responded and defended myself.

Then expect us to respond and defend ourselves when we are called 'loonytunes' and things like that.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 02, 2016, 12:37:26 PM »

You and Smile Brian took swipes at me and I responded and defended myself.

Then expect us to respond and defend ourselves when we are called 'loonytunes' and things like that.
And you and Craig better expect a response from me, as well. All's fair, baby! Peeps are leaving here again lately, What the hell is going on, Billy? I don't keep up like I used to. Your spying caper brought me in this time. I would invite you to join since you been there so much, but I know you wouldn't accept, so why bother, right?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 12:38:56 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #198 on: September 02, 2016, 12:42:10 PM »

My spying caper? Is that like your own spying caper? Or is it different because it's you? I was informed about the swipes from the usual suspects against us and yeah, I took the piss out of it a bit with my signature. Who is the one coming in here constantly posting?

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 02, 2016, 12:46:15 PM »

My spying caper? Is that like your own spying caper? Or is it different because it's you? I was informed about the swipes from the usual suspects against us and yeah, I took the piss out of it a bit with my signature. Who is the one coming in here constantly posting?
Here is the difference my friend; I am a member here and have every right to come and go as I please. You come into PSF and snoop and ferret around. I come here logged in every time I visit. 

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,