gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 11:27:49 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's Stock Continues To Rise  (Read 62078 times)
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 08, 2014, 04:02:30 PM »

Since around the release of Imagination (and even guest vocal spots beforehand) Brian has been in demand, more so than his old band.

The prestigious shows, the documentaries, the record deals, the tribute shows and now more recently being on McCartney's tribute album.  Then there's also being at the George Harrison Tribute show, the Hollywood film, the new album in the pipeline and now having his song chosen as a charity single featuring many many current and contemporary artists. 

It's wonderful seeing Brian's solo career continue to flourish in a way few of us could have imagined 20 years ago.  The guy is a legend and is outdoing his old band at every turn and has been for a while.  I imagine Mr Brian Douglas Wilson will have a sense of satisfaction when he thinks about it.  And Melinda and the rest of 'team' Wilson will also have wry smiles considering the criticism they've taken over the years regarding career decisions.  I'd say they've got it all spot on and Brian's legacy is safe and secure.  Thank you Brian!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 04:16:50 PM »

Yep! The wife and managers seem to know what they're doing, huh? At least when it comes to Brian's legacy and solo career.......

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 04:26:21 PM »

If his wife is responsible for causing the C50 tour to breakup, I woudn't be so quick to heap praise on her.  I've read that she is also somewhat responsible for Getting In Over My Head.  I think she ought to stay out of the business of making records.
Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 04:31:36 PM »

If his wife is responsible for causing the C50 tour to breakup, I woudn't be so quick to heap praise on her.  I've read that she is also somewhat responsible for Getting In Over My Head.  I think she ought to stay out of the business of making records.

I guess Melinda is like Mike Love-every time somebody says something positive about her, someone else quickly comes along to criticize her. I don't get it.
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 04:38:22 PM »

You are wrong ; especially about C50
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 04:44:57 PM »

I think we have a lot to thank Melinda for.  Brian seems happy with his life. 

Ray, would I be right in saying you were with Melinda at the Wembley C50 show?  I think I remember Brian making a dedication to you, and he is always happy when he spots Melinda during the shows.
Mayoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2014, 04:46:51 PM »

Ray, would I be right in saying you were with Melinda at the Wembley C50 show?  I think I remember Brian making a dedication to you, and he is always happy when he spots Melinda during the shows.
Probably the best clip from the whole tour: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_sMw4_R8YE
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014, 04:50:54 PM »

Yeah that's what remember.  I agree, it was a great moment.  I remember feeling happy for Brian that Melinda and Ray were in the audience sharing it with him.
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2014, 04:52:24 PM »

Yes; I was sitting next to her ....Wembley and RAH were the two best shows of the entire C50 tour.  The Beach Boys went out on a high note . They were the two best Beach Boys Concerts I had seen since Carnagie Hall , February 1971.  Hands down.
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2014, 04:56:02 PM »

How do you know?
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2014, 04:57:13 PM »

Wembley and RAH were the two best shows of the entire C50 tour.

Really? Did you go to every C50 show? 
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2014, 04:57:23 PM »

How do you know?

figure it out
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2014, 04:57:45 PM »

How do you know?

How long have you been under that rock?
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2014, 04:58:34 PM »

I went to 25 ; how about you ?

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2014, 05:01:33 PM »

How do you know?

He knows

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2014, 05:04:28 PM »

Go easy on job, he's not very aware of things. Anyone see his post asking for downloads? People were like "no dont do that" and his response a day later was "downloads pls"

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2014, 05:15:46 PM »

I went to 25 ; how about you ?

Probably a home run right there job. I'd leave it alone now myself.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2014, 05:59:20 PM »

I am curious, though... why did Gettin' In Over My Head happen?
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2014, 06:38:23 PM »

Double deal of BW Presents Smile and GIOMH from memory. Others can confirm I'm sure if this is speculation or fact.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2014, 07:02:32 PM »

Some advice moving forward: "Job", I'd suggest taking a pause before directly challenging someone the way you did here. At least know the story and the people before starting an argument or challenge like that, and if you're not sure take a few minutes to find out before throwing down. At least watch the beginning of that YouTube clip of the Wembley show where Brian dedicated the show to Melinda and Ray. Then consider posting a mea culpa of some kind, moving forward.

Regarding requests for material as that was brought up, it needs to be mentioned and clarified again: It's simply not allowed on this board to publicly post PM requests or requests for material such as that. If it happens, there will be a warning followed by the usual process. All explained in the FAQ section.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2014, 07:04:48 PM »

Double deal of BW Presents Smile and GIOMH from memory. Others can confirm I'm sure if this is speculation or fact.

Correct
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2014, 07:09:29 PM »

Brian's getting the respect his talent and work deserves and he is definitely hitting on all cylinders right now. I'm looking forward to everything this year has to offer the fans. It's too bad The Beach  Boys wouldn't go along for the ride, but it was their (his) choice.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2014, 07:28:30 PM »

It's good to know he's wrong, Ray. I was going to add "one of those responsible for the success of the C50" to my statement referring to Melinda above but I hesitated and left it at that. Persisting rumors were blowing around like a swirling wind (I heard them myself) after the tour ended; supposedly one of the reasons it came to end when it did was that Melinda and Jacqui Love did not get along very well and disagreed about money, extended schedules, Mike's floating eyeballs, etc.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2014, 07:39:24 PM »

Brian's getting the respect his talent and work deserves and he is definitely hitting on all cylinders right now. I'm looking forward to everything this year has to offer the fans.

Definitely well deserved, every bit of it! Let no one try to convince otherwise. This is a body of work, a catalog of music, that has stood the test of time and I see no reasons why it will not continue to do so well after I leave this Earth. To see the recent clip featuring artists like Lorde, One Direction, those who appeal most obviously to teenagers, and to have a song nearing 50 years old be the one they're singing and their young fans are listening to (perhaps for the first time), it's proof of the lasting power of the music Brian created.

Consider that when Brian recorded God Only Knows, non-classical music that was 50 years old was on wax cylinders, before jazz or swing as most of us know it even existed beyond Dixieland, and for all intents and purposes was considered "primitive". I don't know of many if there were any at all who were actively performing and seeking out music from 1912, for example. Now we have 50 year old music that is still contemporary and being heard by millions.

That in itself is pretty amazing.  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2014, 07:56:19 PM »

I became a fan in 2010, and consider myself blessed for what has happened during that time: In the last four years there have been two new Brian Wilson solo albums, two major boxset releases, a Beach Boys reunion, a new Beach Boys album. And now Brian is about to release another solo album (with, what Ray says, some incredible songs on it), a major motion picture about Brian Wilson, a new autobiography. All of that in just four years of being a fan.

I'm happy to see that Brian is still hard at work, and I'm glad that he's getting recognition for a lifetime of phenomenal achievement.

Here's to the next four years Beer may they be as prosperous as the last!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx