gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680853 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 10:30:45 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Al Jardine says there's a BAD conflict w/Mike. Aka: The welcome back AGD thread  (Read 60017 times)
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: August 17, 2013, 04:09:05 PM »

This is rediculous!

If you're a rabid Brian fan and not really a Beach Boys fan, go see BAD and happily ignore Mike...

And why should Mike be playing SMILE stuff when he has a truckload of hits that he sang lead on? That's his ace in the hole. Why should he not take full advantage.... If you want SMILE SMILE SMILE, go see Brian. It really is simple.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: August 17, 2013, 04:14:16 PM »

There are a few, and only a few, very vocal people on here who seem to be getting more delusional by the day!

How is making personal attacks against posters contributing a damn thing to this board, dude?  You aren't man enough to state your own opinions, so if you have nothing nice to say or constructive to offer of your own, don't post, and don't read. It ain't rocket science, genius.

Your comments on Brian's band did strike me as a little ... um ... well, peculiar. Let's put it that way. And isn't your reply above pretty much a bannable offense these days? I think the mods want to take a look.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 04:17:29 PM by Wirestone » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: August 17, 2013, 04:17:12 PM »

This is rediculous!

If you're a rabid Brian fan and not really a Beach Boys fan, go see BAD and happily ignore Mike...

And why should Mike be playing SMILE stuff when he has a truckload of hits that he sang lead on? That's his ace in the hole. Why should he not take full advantage.... If you want SMILE SMILE SMILE, go see Brian. It really is simple.
I'm with you, if either band cannot make you happy, then don't see them. There are many people who are very happy to see either configuration or both.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: August 17, 2013, 04:18:11 PM »

There are a few, and only a few, very vocal people on here who seem to be getting more delusional by the day!

How is making personal attacks against posters contributing a damn thing to this board, dude?  You aren't man enough to state your own opinions, so if you have nothing nice to say or constructive to offer of your own, don't post, and don't read. It ain't rocket science, genius.

Your attack on Brian's band was a little ... um ... well, peculiar. Let's say it that way. And isn't your reply I just quoted pretty much a bannable offense these days? I think the mods want to take a look.

How was KittyKat's opinion of Brian's band an attack? Isn't worse said of Mike and his band on a daily basis?
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: August 17, 2013, 04:23:49 PM »

How is making personal attacks against posters contributing a damn thing to this board, dude?  You aren't man enough to state your own opinions, so if you have nothing nice to say or constructive to offer of your own, don't post, and don't read. It ain't rocket science, genius.

Your attack on Brian's band was a little ... um ... well, peculiar. Let's say it that way. And isn't your reply I just quoted pretty much a bannable offense these days? I think the mods want to take a look.

How was KittyKat's opinion of Brian's band an attack? Isn't worse said of Mike and his band on a daily basis?
Unless I am reading the wrong post, she pretty much picks apart both backing bands.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #255 on: August 17, 2013, 04:28:33 PM »

This is rediculous!

I'm with you, if either band cannot make you happy, then don't see them. There are many people who are very happy to see either configuration or both.

When was this ever the argument? I took issue with the claim that there was "very little difference" between the two bands and cited a few differences, like the M&B band not being equipped to do justice to the complicated songs. I didn't say Mike should sing Wonderful. That would be hideous! Nice way to twist everything, tho. Rabid, not really a fan... cheap stuff not to address the point and make it personal instead.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 04:34:34 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: August 17, 2013, 04:51:45 PM »

This is rediculous!

When was this ever the argument? I took issue with the claim that there was "very little difference" between the two bands and cited a few differences, like the M&B band not being equipped to do justice to the complicated songs. I didn't say Mike should sing Wonderful. That would be hideous! Nice way to twist everything, tho. Rabid, not really a fan... cheap stuff not to address the point and make it personal instead.

It was a general statement and not directed at you personally.

I'm glad we all seem to agree on Cowsill. There really should be two of him and two of Nelson.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: August 17, 2013, 04:54:03 PM »

Unless I am reading the wrong post, she pretty much picks apart both backing bands.

Yet it was only an attack when it came to Brian's band?

Ya know, with the amount of Mike bashing/trashing that goes on here, the bar has been set low enough that why should anyone be off limits?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 04:56:36 PM by Pinder Goes To Kokomo » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: August 17, 2013, 05:07:19 PM »

Here's a question after Mike and Bruce playing the 500-700 seat show in Montreal last week.

Mike doesn't seem to mind playing gigs large or small. They get very good reviews and all reports are they do a great show as they have done for about 15 years. They also seem to do a lot of return gigs, meaning they return to the same venue each year. They have built up a good reputation and every story advertising the show mentions the line-up consisting of Mike and Bruce and not including Brian, Al and Dave.

After all the above, and keeping in mind this is not 1998, could Mike and Bruce still do ok in those smaller venues he favours as 'Mike Love and Bruce Johnston show' or the like, should they loose the name?
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: August 17, 2013, 05:22:50 PM »

Yet it was only an attack when it came to Brian's band?

Ya know, with the amount of Mike bashing/trashing that goes on here, the bar has been set low enough that why should anyone be off limits?

My most recent post had nothing to do with KittyKat's mention of Brian's band, however one wants to characterize it. It had to do with the way KK was treating another member of the board. That's the point I was raising.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 05:33:47 PM by Wirestone » Logged
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: August 17, 2013, 06:42:12 PM »

Cam you got my comments spot on.  I was trying to highlight the similarities in both set lists.  In the past there was a big difference between the two tours.  Nowadays, there is less difference (set list wise). In my opinion Mike and Bruce's set lists have improved.  They have upped their game.  Brian's are 'safer' than they used to be.  It seems that they are both now going after some common ground (more casual fans in Brian's case and more hard core in Mike's).   It's also been said on here that Brian is less motivated by this approach and his interest wanes as he prefers more challenging stuff like performing whole albums.

Just to be clear, I think Brian's guys are the next best thing to actually jumping in a time machine and going back to the studio and hearing the Wrecking Crew.  They really make a magical sound and faithfully recreate the songs with passion and a clear love for the music.  Nobody else can do it like them.  That's why I don't particularly want them chasing some of the same audience as Mike and Bruce. The two factions do compliment each other and when they came together like last year it was special, as it was the best of both worlds (early hits, sung by Mike and deep cuts like Summer's Gone by Brian).  As that's not going to happen again soon, I would love to hear more of the diversity between the 2 set lists, particularly Brian doing his new songs, and maybe stuff like Melt Away and Rio Grande as well as some of the "Love You" material.  Oh, one other thing. Both bands should come back and do some shows in the UK ASAP!
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: August 17, 2013, 07:39:10 PM »

Interesting article:

http://www.nola.com/music/index.ssf/2012/10/from_the_beach_boys_to_foreign.html

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: August 17, 2013, 07:42:31 PM »

Cam you got my comments spot on.  I was trying to highlight the similarities in both set lists.  In the past there was a big difference between the two tours.  Nowadays, there is less difference (set list wise). In my opinion Mike and Bruce's set lists have improved.  They have upped their game.  Brian's are 'safer' than they used to be.  It seems that they are both now going after some common ground (more casual fans in Brian's case and more hard core in Mike's).   It's also been said on here that Brian is less motivated by this approach and his interest wanes as he prefers more challenging stuff like performing whole albums.

Just to be clear, I think Brian's guys are the next best thing to actually jumping in a time machine and going back to the studio and hearing the Wrecking Crew.  They really make a magical sound and faithfully recreate the songs with passion and a clear love for the music.  Nobody else can do it like them.  That's why I don't particularly want them chasing some of the same audience as Mike and Bruce. The two factions do compliment each other and when they came together like last year it was special, as it was the best of both worlds (early hits, sung by Mike and deep cuts like Summer's Gone by Brian).  As that's not going to happen again soon, I would love to hear more of the diversity between the 2 set lists, particularly Brian doing his new songs, and maybe stuff like Melt Away and Rio Grande as well as some of the "Love You" material.  Oh, one other thing. Both bands should come back and do some shows in the UK ASAP!

Thanks, I finally got one right.  Grin

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: August 17, 2013, 07:48:03 PM »

Does the license allow more than one group to use the Beach Boys name, or does Mike hold it exclusively?

He holds it exclusively I believe.
Did some research.  Mike's license is non-exclusive.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #264 on: August 17, 2013, 08:11:47 PM »

How is making personal attacks against posters contributing a damn thing to this board, dude?  You aren't man enough to state your own opinions, so if you have nothing nice to say or constructive to offer of your own, don't post, and don't read. It ain't rocket science, genius.

Your comments on Brian's band did strike me as a little ... um ... well, peculiar. Let's put it that way. And isn't your reply above pretty much a bannable offense these days? I think the mods want to take a look.
definitely am looking over the last few pages right now.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: August 17, 2013, 09:04:19 PM »

This is an interesting article that sums up my own feelings about what we've got. We all know there's a lot to be said about the music being the star. People will go to see an Elvis impersonator, knowing full well that it ain't the real thing. And yet, they jam to the music and old ladies swoon, just as if they were seeing the King himself. Tribute bands do pretty well for themselves. No doubt, there is something to be said for the entertainment value that can be provided by a good band playing classic hits.

BUT... if you're billing yourself as the real deal, you should be the real deal. As completely as possible.

Prior to C50, I was willing to accept the Mike and Bruce show as The Beach Boys. Of course, Dennis and Carl were gone and Brian and Al were no longer a part of the touring band, somewhat by choice. So, Mike's show was the closest thing we were likely to get to an actual Beach Boys concert. I went to several of his shows and enjoyed them, because I love this music.

However, C50 was a revelation and a game changer. It was then I saw what this band actually could be, and that set the bar pretty high for me. The real Beach Boys in 2013 are Brian, Mike, Al, David and Bruce.

Post C50, if Brian, Al and David had chosen to go back to their solo projects, I would have continued to view the Mike and Bruce tour as the closest thing to the actual band available. However, since Brian and Al indicated a desire to go on, having a "Beach Boys" band that only includes one out of the four available original members seems like a cheat. The real Beach Boys should be as real as possible. By walking away from any further discussions and continuing his two man tour, Mike substituted his convenience for authenticity. That's fine. If he wants to work that way, it's his choice. But, from now on, if I'm paying to see the real Beach Boys, I expect a few more original members on that stage.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 10:00:02 PM by Cyncie » Logged
Nicko1234
« Reply #266 on: August 17, 2013, 09:21:48 PM »

Here's a question after Mike and Bruce playing the 500-700 seat show in Montreal last week.

Mike doesn't seem to mind playing gigs large or small. They get very good reviews and all reports are they do a great show as they have done for about 15 years. They also seem to do a lot of return gigs, meaning they return to the same venue each year. They have built up a good reputation and every story advertising the show mentions the line-up consisting of Mike and Bruce and not including Brian, Al and Dave.

After all the above, and keeping in mind this is not 1998, could Mike and Bruce still do ok in those smaller venues he favours as 'Mike Love and Bruce Johnston show' or the like, should they loose the name?

Well, firstly I think a lot of the venues Mike and Bruce play are much bigger. Some of the county fairs are 10,000 plus I think. But I think they do need the name as it is The Beach Boys brand that sells.

There are some singers who compromise and come up with billings like:

Voice of

The Beach Boys

Mike Love

How well he could do with that sort of billing is more debatable.

From Al's comments it seems Brian, Al and David might want to do something similar but if they are legally allowed to it would beg the question as to why Al didn't tour in this way for so long. Also, for the hardcore fans it may not be such a good thing as it would probably guarantee that the setlist would remain hit-heavy to please a more Beach Boys audience.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 09:22:41 PM by Nicko1234 » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: August 17, 2013, 11:05:37 PM »

Mike seems to be a concert junkie. Sure, he does the bigger gigs but I think he would be just as enthusiastic with the smaller shows. Doesn't he have to pay BRI 20% of his proceeds? That's a lot of shows that in effect he is doing for free so going alone could have its advantages too.
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: August 17, 2013, 11:35:02 PM »

Does the license allow more than one group to use the Beach Boys name, or does Mike hold it exclusively?

Wait, what? What does that mean?

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: August 17, 2013, 11:51:37 PM »

Wait, what? What does that mean?
That means Brian and Al could get a license from BRI, paying a $% to be negotiated, and call themselves "The Beach Boys Brian Wilson, Al Jardine and David Marks". That is my understanding after reading all about the Al Jardine and Beach Boys Family & Friends lawsuit fiasco. Al was offered a license from BRI but didn't feel he should have to pay for it.

On the other hand, case law seems to indicate Brian, Al and David could bill themselves as original members as long as they were not inferring that they were "The Beach Boys" or an officially sanctioned Beach Boys unit. Such as:

Appearing, live and in concert on September 11, 2013

Original Beach Boys members
Brian Wilson, Al Jardine and David Marks

I am guessing this is what Mike is balking about.

SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: August 17, 2013, 11:51:49 PM »

Brian wants the 'Beach Boys' name back? Hell, yeah! He wants Mike and Bruce back, too.  BB50 could have continued this year. Maybe too much 'bad blood' at this point. Share the name?

Looks like another chapter in Beach Boy history is about to be written.  Ahhh! Que? 3D Razz

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: August 18, 2013, 12:08:45 AM »

It's really that the BRI, Brother Records Incorporated, own this copyrighted brand name called "The Beach Boys", which they license. So they could license Brian, Al and David as "The Beach Boys present original members Brian........". They licensed Mike to tour as "The Beach Boys" as  he was first to request it.

Related reading:

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-9th-circuit/1213400.html

And

http://www.ivanhoffman.com/bandnames.html

Nicko1234
« Reply #272 on: August 18, 2013, 01:46:05 AM »

You may well be entirely correct but it has certainly been written in the past hat Mike's license is exclusive.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: August 18, 2013, 02:40:02 AM »

You may well be entirely correct but it has certainly been written in the past hat Mike's license is exclusive.
Funny how people repeat hearsay as fact. Read the Calif. Court ruling. It is clearly stated the license in not exclusive.
Some may think exclusive means Mike is the only one who can tour as the Beach Boys. But legally, that is not wholly true. Other BB licenses can be issued. It's all there for you to read.

Nicko1234
« Reply #274 on: August 18, 2013, 02:42:52 AM »

Funny how people repeat hearsay as fact. Read the Calif. Court ruling. It is clearly stated the license in not exclusive.
Some may think exclusive means Mike is the only one who can tour as the Beach Boys. But legally, that is not wholly true. Other BB licenses can be issued. It's all there for you to read.

As I said, you may be entirely correct.

I'm not sure why Al hasn't have tried to call himself a Beach Boy when playing concerts if that is the case though.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx