gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681509 Posts in 27639 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 09, 2024, 10:17:03 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 65 66 67 [68] 69 70 71 72 73 ... 112 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MiC up for order on Amazon, August release  (Read 445488 times)
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1675 on: June 29, 2013, 03:39:49 AM »

Two of those were Irish.
This post is for educational purposes only.

As an American it's an impossible habit to break, everyone here has treated England and Britain as being interchangeable my entire life. You are right of course though.

Ireland isn't part of Britain.

Sweet that you had a go though.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: June 29, 2013, 03:43:56 AM »

"Fawlty Towers" - we win.  Cheesy

Hm. Good try.

But the U.S. had Cheers. Unsurpassable.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1677 on: June 29, 2013, 04:08:06 AM »

Two of those were Irish.

As an American it's an impossible habit to break, everyone here has treated England and Britain as being interchangeable my entire life. You are right of course though.

To be fair, when both Swift & Sterne were living, Ireland was part of Great Britain, effectively if not actually legally (until 1801 and the Act Of Union).

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: June 29, 2013, 04:29:39 AM »

"Fawlty Towers" - we win.  Cheesy

Yeah, great series. But it has nothing against mentioned series. :D

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: June 29, 2013, 04:34:56 AM »

The UK had "The Office".
The US has "The Office".

'Nuff said.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 04:35:49 AM by Mike's Beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1680 on: June 29, 2013, 04:48:19 AM »

To be fair, when both Swift & Sterne were living, Ireland was part of Great Britain, effectively if not actually legally (until 1801 and the Act Of Union).

aah damn, now I look just as foolish as that Mexican dude.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: June 29, 2013, 04:49:44 AM »

Two of those were Irish.

Great Britain perhaps, but not Britain.   Grin

Edit and self-correction: not even Great Britain… the British Isles, of course. Britain/Great Britain is the largest island in the British Isles; Ireland is the second largest.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 04:52:16 AM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: June 29, 2013, 04:53:22 AM »

The UK had "The Office".
The US has "The Office".

'Nuff said.

Actually, that's not correct. The US had 'The Office' too, as the show has now ended.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 06:14:51 AM by tansen » Logged

Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: June 29, 2013, 05:14:50 AM »

I am British and I like both British and American comedy (and music).

Very generally, most of my favourite musicians and comedians are probably American (The Beach Boys, Larry David).

But when American comedy takes an idea from a good British comedy, they normally turn it to sh*t (The Office, The Inbetweeners).  The same perhaps cannot be said for when American musicians take ideas from British musicians (Girl Don't Tell Me is pretty good.)

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: June 29, 2013, 06:21:34 AM »

Very generally, most of my favourite musicians and comedians are probably American (The Beach Boys, Larry David).

But when American comedy takes an idea from a good British comedy, they normally turn it to sh*t (The Office, The Inbetweeners).  The same perhaps cannot be said for when American musicians take ideas from British musicians (Girl Don't Tell Me is pretty good.)

Can't say I agree with you on The Office, I think it really had a good run, though I'll admit that the seasons after Steve Carell quit was not as good. Of course the three seasons of the British Office was pure magic.
In terms of liking one over the other, whether it's music or comedy, I think it's a tough call. In terms of music though, I think that the Brits may be in the lead.. The Beatles, Kinks, Small Faces, The Move, Pretty Things, The Zombies, The Idle Race, etc. (but then of course you have the Beach Boys, Jefferson Airplane, and newer bands like of Montreal and The Apples in Stereo that I rate extremely high in my top bands of all time list).

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: June 29, 2013, 07:49:11 AM »

I'm enjoying this conversation right now but I just want to say that if the discussion was about Oasis rather than American vs. British comedy, the board would be exploding with negativity about how off-topic the discussion has become (including from some of the posters who have contributed to this off-topic discussion here).
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: June 29, 2013, 08:10:39 AM »

Be Here Now is the most underrated album of the past 25 years. A crying shame. So much effort went into the making of it, so much subtlety, and the lyrics are on a par with those of Dylan, Cohen, Cale, and even Donne, in places.

I am thinking of starting a separate thread on the topic of seriously misjudged LPs. We need cultural justice.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Nicko1234
« Reply #1687 on: June 29, 2013, 08:27:06 AM »

Be Here Now is the most underrated album of the past 25 years. A crying shame. So much effort went into the making of it, so much subtlety, and the lyrics are on a par with those of Dylan, Cohen, Cale, and even Donne, in places.

I am thinking of starting a separate thread on the topic of seriously misjudged LPs. We need cultural justice.

I prefer my Beatles to me more heterosexual.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: June 29, 2013, 08:28:45 AM »

Huh?
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: June 29, 2013, 08:33:21 AM »

LOL
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: June 29, 2013, 08:41:02 AM »

But when American comedy takes an idea from a good British comedy, they normally turn it to sh*t (The Office, The Inbetweeners).  The same perhaps cannot be said for when American musicians take ideas from British musicians (Girl Don't Tell Me is pretty good.)

You know they had a go at doing 'Steptoe and Son' back in the seventies? The mind boggles...

As a fellow Britisher, much as there is loads of English stuff I like- mostly on the psych/freakbeat end of things, from the 50s to the present day, America dicks all over us, musically.

Beach Boys aside, there seem to be hundreds of sunshine pop lps with mindblowing vocal arrangements, and all kinds of shimmering beauty. I just don't think us Englanders can sing or arrange as well...not by a long way.

Taking that to the modern day...there seems to be a lot more American indie that is made for the sheer enjoyment of creation, and bands four or five albums down the line go 'overground' because they've basically become great at what they do. England on the other hand is OBSESSED with the idea that brilliant music springs out of nowhere and washes away all that preceded it. Hence the ever failing UK music biz desperately pushing witless bands of 22 year olds with nary an original thought in their heads over, and over.

Take the myth- there was nothing going on in UK music, it was all sappy and rubbish, and then the Beatles came along and washed it all away with...Love me do? As a huge fan of Brit rock n roll, that's such a crock.

See also 'punk...'nothing going on, all music was stale, and then The sex pistols came down from upon high with their sh*t impressions of the MC5 and Stooges, and wiped it all away...

Oops- I rant/ramble...
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 08:42:39 AM by BergenWhitesMoustache » Logged
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: June 29, 2013, 09:39:57 AM »

It took me many years to get over my anti-punk stance, once I realised it was more than three chord crap such as The Sex Pistols or Sham 69 I discovered Siouxsie & The Banshees, The Cure, Tubeway Army, PiL and The Stranglers. Great stuff.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1692 on: June 29, 2013, 09:48:38 AM »

I'm enjoying this conversation right now but I just want to say that if the discussion was about Oasis rather than American vs. British comedy, the board would be exploding with negativity about how off-topic the discussion has become (including from some of the posters who have contributed to this off-topic discussion here).

Nah...just happened while I was offline.

I would appreciate it if we got back on topic. That said, I would also like to continue this conversation in the Sandbox, as I'll be putting my two cents in as well!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1693 on: June 29, 2013, 10:28:57 AM »

...not to mention Big Star.  Smiley
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #1694 on: June 29, 2013, 11:25:57 AM »

"Fawlty Towers" - we win.  Cheesy

Hm. Good try.

Cheers isn't even the best US sitcom with Kelsey Grammer in it, let alone the best US sitcom, let alone the best sitcom. Fawlty Towers really is pretty unbeatable, however I will concede that Curb Your Enthusiasm is frequently mind-bogglingly hilarious (and greatly benefits from not having one of those annoying 'laughter' tracks that litter US sitcoms, in which the audience members seem to do nothing but whoop and cheer for half an hour).

Also, I'm a rare Brit who thinks Only Fools & Horses is about as funny as root canal treatment. Dreadful comedy.

To be honest, I don't really believe that Americans don't get irony (well, not all of them anyway...) - I just thought I'd throw a hand grenade onto the board and then bugger off to work for 9 hours. I've returned home to discover my ruse succeeded. And hey, it's sure livened up what was fast becoming a mundane thread.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 11:27:06 AM by Disney Boy (1985) » Logged
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1695 on: June 29, 2013, 01:28:31 PM »

I hate this thread. I keep expecting to learn something about MIC, but all I've learned is a) It's too expensive (except it isn't) and b) Americans are dumb and only enjoy reality TV.

And I thought reading the 280 pages of the SMILE thread was bad...
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1696 on: June 29, 2013, 01:40:32 PM »

On Amazon they changed back the release date. UK is now the 26th of August and US the 27th.

For some reason I've never been able to fathom, we seem to get releases a day before the US... and Australia a day before us.

And Germany on the Friday before anybody else. That would be August 23, but it's not on the EMI/Capitol site yet nor on Amazon. The only place I found is here, where it even says August 16:

http://www.buecher.de/shop/musik/made-in-california-limited-bo/beach-boysthe/products_products/detail/prod_id/36326841/

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1697 on: June 29, 2013, 03:29:29 PM »

Oh f*** no - Eeyore writes lyrics too ?  Shocked

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: June 29, 2013, 04:15:29 PM »

let me guess the reason this thread has been talking about tv shows is that it will eventually lead to the discussion as to why the "Karen" theme song isn't on MIC...it's just kind of the long way of doing it.
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: June 29, 2013, 04:57:04 PM »

"Fawlty Towers" - we win.  Cheesy

Hm. Good try.

Cheers isn't even the best US sitcom with Kelsey Grammer in it, let alone the best US sitcom, let alone the best sitcom. Fawlty Towers really is pretty unbeatable, however I will concede that Curb Your Enthusiasm is frequently mind-bogglingly hilarious (and greatly benefits from not having one of those annoying 'laughter' tracks that litter US sitcoms, in which the audience members seem to do nothing but whoop and cheer for half an hour).

What about Arrested Development?
Of course, I am biased. Just look at my profile photo.

A discipline daddy.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 65 66 67 [68] 69 70 71 72 73 ... 112 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx