gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681220 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 29, 2024, 02:06:33 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 70 ... 112 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MiC up for order on Amazon, August release  (Read 444430 times)
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: June 24, 2013, 01:03:35 AM »

Sometimes digital products have something to offer.  Like I bought the 2 disc version of The Smile Sessions off of iTunes and it came with an iTunes LP which are sometimes pointless but in this case was some cool interactive liner notes (but not as comprehensive as those on the box set which has yet to go down in price).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElVmW7P7Hq0

I did eventually hear the 5-disc version, first on Spotify and then I burned a copy from my local library to my computer.

And yet I still consider myself a huge Beach Boys fan, albeit probably younger than most on this message board (I'm 20).  I don't really have a point to this post but I do find it somewhat intriguing to hear how it pretty much differs from person to person.

That being said, I did buy physical copies of 10 of the 12 remasters from last year (I already had the Sunflower/Surf's Up twofer) and I do plan on getting this box set in its physical form.  So maybe my attitude has changed but like I said, I am young and therefore I am not rich so I might wait a month or two after its release to see how much it drops (I did buy the Good Vibrations set for only 25 bucks but that set's been around for a long time and I only bought it a few years ago when I was starting to get into the band), or I'll ask my parents to get it for me during the holiday season.

I think if the price of The Smile Sessions box ever gets to less than 50 bucks, I'll absolutely go for it as I agree, while the music is the same, there's a feeling you get from the presentation of it and the packaging that makes it worth it.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 01:06:50 AM by Rocky Raccoon » Logged

Bedroom Tapes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: June 24, 2013, 12:48:46 PM »

So when/if do you all think we will get sound samples from this new set?
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: June 24, 2013, 12:59:06 PM »

I give it a month.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1603 on: June 24, 2013, 02:50:34 PM »

Middle of next month, around the 16th

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: June 24, 2013, 09:31:06 PM »

Funny, Mike Love is such a villain that the internet press (tongue in cheek I assume) is hilariously blaming him for the high price of the box set.
Author is not a fan of Mike obviously.  Ironically, his name is Winston Cook-Wilson .

From Prefixmag.com (yes, they get the number of discs wrong-unless they know something we don't))

http://www.prefixmag.com/news/new-7-disc-beach-boys-box-set-made-in-california-d/73961/

Ludicrous news arises from the camp of Beach Boys singer Mike Love, who is both the legal owner of the band's name and the force perpetually hell-bent on shaming it. Love’s devised another scheme for making money off the Boys' brand, which will hopefully be more foolproof than last year’s aborted 50th anniversary tour, in the midst of which Love “fired” three original members of the group, including Brian Wilson. Love’s now touring a instantiation of the “Beach Boys” absent Wilson, Al Jardine and David Marks, as he did for years before the ill-fated reunion attempt. Those guys, meanwhile, are recording an album of new material with help from Jeff Beck, which is empirical evidence of the fact that they are interested in being real musicians.

Though Mike has been loath to unify and advance the band creatively since around the time Pet Sounds was released, he is happy to exploit the artistry with which he had so little to do at every turn. Thus we have the impending six-disc box set Made in California, featuring demos, alternate takes, live performances and some rare unreleased material from the early sixties. Apparently, the set includes a 1959 essay by Brian called “My Philosophy” and “handwritten, yearbook-style inscriptions” from Mike and the three guys he just dumped.

Though the whole idea of the thing makes one a bit sick to the stomach, the box set is guaranteed to have a lot of  wonderful music on it. But only you can decide whether or not you feel comfortable giving Mr. Love your hard-earned cash. Made in California is due out August 27th on Capitol.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1605 on: June 24, 2013, 09:34:49 PM »

I love that the comments are just everybody here. I'm guessing 2013-14 will require a lot of this Smiley Smile Rapid Response. Let's have some epic rants ready for the LA Times! A real stirring defense of the contract agreement and macros for "set end date."
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 09:39:55 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: June 25, 2013, 01:26:30 AM »

Doesn't the above quote from Winston-Cook Wilson (I wish I had this brilliantly posh name) have at least one big howler of a factual mistake in it?  Shocked

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: June 25, 2013, 01:36:14 AM »

Doesn't the above quote from Winston-Cook Wilson (I wish I had this brilliantly posh name) have at least one big howler of a factual mistake in it?  Shocked
Only one?

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: June 25, 2013, 01:40:19 AM »

… I am young and therefore I am not rich …

Age has nothing to do with it – I'm (nearly) old and not rich either!   LOL

“We live in divisive times.”
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: June 25, 2013, 02:00:23 AM »

Only one?

Cheesy

- at least -

Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: June 25, 2013, 08:55:31 AM »

Haha understandable.  But I mean, like at my age and being a college student, I have zero icome at the moment and I rely almost entirely on my parents for money.  So I can't buy myself many gifts.

Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #1611 on: June 25, 2013, 02:39:38 PM »

Haha understandable.  But I mean, like at my age and being a college student, I have zero icome at the moment and I rely almost entirely on my parents for money.  So I can't buy myself many gifts.

Why not sell your bottom to the sailors at the docks?

You'll soon have enough for the boxset.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: June 25, 2013, 03:30:52 PM »

How much did they pay for your bottom?  Do they pay more for small or latrge?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Nicko1234
« Reply #1613 on: June 25, 2013, 03:50:29 PM »

This is a genuine suggestion. If you have time on your hands (you're a student so obviously you do  Wink ) then have you thought of filling in surveys or reviewing some music online to get a few pounds for yourself. From what I've read, it should be pretty easy for you to have got enough Amazon/Paypal funds to buy the set by the time it is released if you do.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #1614 on: June 25, 2013, 11:22:00 PM »

How much did they pay for your bottom?  Do they pay more for small or latrge?

Well, you know what the sailors say

"Bright 'n breezy, slips in easy"
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: June 26, 2013, 03:28:54 AM »

Now I'm getting uncomfortable.

Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #1616 on: June 26, 2013, 03:39:12 AM »

And that's what you say to the sailors
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: June 26, 2013, 03:49:51 AM »

I hadn't thought of all potential feelings that the MiC box stirs up in people.

Hey Hey Marcello...

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1618 on: June 26, 2013, 07:16:59 PM »

Facebook, just now:

The "Made In California" yearbook is filled with quotes from the band, made over their 50 year career. Here's a sneak peek of one:

"I remember going to Chicago, staying at the Astor Tower Hotel, and meeting with The Beatles. And I sat down and I played, ‘Good Vibrations’ on the piano and they just fell down, they couldn’t believe it. And I hadn’t really learned it properly, but I knew enough of it." - Bruce Johnston

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1619 on: June 26, 2013, 10:14:40 PM »

For all the UK whingers:

http://www.play.com/Search.html?searchstring=Beach+Boys&searchsource=0&searchtype=musicall

Now, please, STFU.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1620 on: June 26, 2013, 10:59:28 PM »

What a rip-off, only 5 CDs

"The Beach Boys - Made In California (5CD Boxset)

Released on 26 August 2013

Artist: The Beach Boys

Condition:  New

Pre-orderReleased on 26 August 2013

£75.85 Free delivery

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: June 26, 2013, 11:22:35 PM »

Unless I've forgotten how to count(entirely possible given the month I'm having  Grin), I see six cd's pictured.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: June 26, 2013, 11:47:36 PM »

Unless I've forgotten how to count(entirely possible given the month I'm having  Grin), I see six cd's pictured.

Yeah, you are seeing an illusion, it clesrly says "5 CD boxset".If you hit the link, the same.

As big a stickler as AGD is for typos, errors and spell checking, certainly he would never give us a link with such an glaring mistake. So 5 cds for 79 quid?

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #1623 on: June 26, 2013, 11:49:58 PM »

Five CDs??? Please tell me that's a typo. Or are us poor limeys getting duped?
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: June 26, 2013, 11:54:18 PM »

Five CDs??? Please tell me that's a typo. Or are us poor limeys getting duped?
Disc Six, the From the Vaults rarities, will cost you an extra £100. Read the fine print.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 70 ... 112 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx