gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680853 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 12:17:01 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike and his second wife  (Read 9765 times)
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2013, 03:05:53 AM »

Serenity now!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2013, 07:15:07 AM »

Insanity later!

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
MBE
« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2013, 05:44:07 PM »

You know what? Many of my favorite hit women. I don't defend it but I would have to get rid of all my Beach Boys, Beatles, Stones, Who, Ike and Tina, Pink Floyd, James Brown, Jerry Lee Lewis, Bob Dylan, Small Faces, Jackson 5, Black Sabbath, Chuck Berry, etc. etc. etc. if I cared about personal demons of rock stars. It's sad, I don't like it one bit, but I care more about the art then the artist. There's a point where you do have to say it isn't ones business if you are at all to enjoy that persons work. Again I think it's sad, but it's a fact of that lifestyle and that era.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2013, 04:18:06 AM »

Yeah, I think with a lot of stars, even now, you have to be able to divide their private lives and the art they produce. Obviously there are degrees - like, the Lostprophets (a band who I have kind of fond memories as they had good singles/on the radio a lot when I were a lad) and their singer being accused of something really, really awful that I feel uneasy even typing in reference (google it) to something ensures that no-one except contrarian twats or actual, 100%, bad people would ever listen to them again.

Mike Love has never done anything that awful, obviously, and hey, people here claim to really like the music of Charlie goshdarn Manson, but there's a lot of context and things that's boring.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 04:20:44 AM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2013, 04:57:01 AM »

And bear in mind that domestic violence, whilst not acceptable, was "accepted" as part of many marriages. Just like sleeping with 13 and 14 year old groupies was once "accepted"

I'm just waiting for this current celebrity paedophile hunt that is going on in the UK at the moment to turn from TV presenters to musicians. There must be a lot of scared 70's rock stars out there who neglected to ask the girls age. It was common.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 04:58:48 AM by (Stephen Newcombe) » Logged
MBE
« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2013, 05:18:40 AM »

Yeah, I think with a lot of stars, even now, you have to be able to divide their private lives and the art they produce. Obviously there are degrees - like, the Lostprophets (a band who I have kind of fond memories as they had good singles/on the radio a lot when I were a lad) and their singer being accused of something really, really awful that I feel uneasy even typing in reference (google it) to something ensures that no-one except contrarian twats or actual, 100%, bad people would ever listen to them again.

Mike Love has never done anything that awful, obviously, and hey, people here claim to really like the music of Charlie goshdarn Manson, but there's a lot of context and things that's boring.

Wow never heard of the lostprophets before and that story is far harder to try to look at objectively. In fact it makes Phil Spector seem like a choir boy....almost.
dwtherealbb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2013, 06:25:55 AM »

well since i've read up more on the BBs, I've become less critical of Mike. What I'm more wondering though is why the courts basically gave his second wife the ---- end of the stick. Don't most judges usually side with the mother?
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2013, 10:32:55 AM »

And bear in mind that domestic violence, whilst not acceptable, was "accepted" as part of many marriages. Just like sleeping with 13 and 14 year old groupies was once "accepted"

I'm just waiting for this current celebrity paedophile hunt that is going on in the UK at the moment to turn from TV presenters to musicians. There must be a lot of scared 70's rock stars out there who neglected to ask the girls age. It was common.

Well they nabbed Rolf Harris in March; he's sort of a rock star (or was). I hear Jimmy Page liked 'em young (but apparently not as young as the singer from lostprophets).

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2013, 11:10:31 AM »

Some of you fanboys are crazy! When one of your heroes beats women, all you say is "This is none of our business"? Blinded by fandom.

When someone *is accused* in *one notoriously inaccurate book* of having attacked his wife forty years ago, and we have *absolutely no way of verifying the truth or otherwise of that claim*, then yes, it is none of our business.

I would dispute that Gaines'' book is notoriously inaccurate.  He had reliable sources for the book, conducted extensive interviews with much stuff still unpublished, as he has stated on this board.  Is it written in an exploitive, sensationalistic style?  Sure.  But the facts are pretty solid.  You didn't see Mr. Litigation filing slander suits against the author, and that speaks volumes.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2013, 11:16:06 AM »

People these days say the Gaines book is "slander", but at the time it was extremely important to showing the "dark" side of the BBs story. Before its release, most people bought the "clean" image of the group sold for decades.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2013, 08:58:08 AM »

Some of you fanboys are crazy! When one of your heroes beats women, all you say is "This is none of our business"? Blinded by fandom.

When someone *is accused* in *one notoriously inaccurate book* of having attacked his wife forty years ago, and we have *absolutely no way of verifying the truth or otherwise of that claim*, then yes, it is none of our business.

I would dispute that Gaines'' book is notoriously inaccurate.  He had reliable sources for the book, conducted extensive interviews with much stuff still unpublished, as he has stated on this board.  Is it written in an exploitive, sensationalistic style?  Sure.  But the facts are pretty solid.  You didn't see Mr. Litigation filing slander suits against the author, and that speaks volumes.

The Gaines book says that Today is " a melange of uninspired car tunes" while Holland featured a song called  "Clear Cool Water". If he gets utterly basic stuff that can be checked by anyone who owns the albums wrong, then *anything* where his book is the sole source must be considered suspect.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx