gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680864 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 11:33:23 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jan & Dean - Norwegian Wood - Brian Wilson BV's?  (Read 10360 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2013, 12:44:54 AM »

I've had Carnival Of Sound tapes from way back in the late 70s/early 80s, and for the life of me I've never seen/heard what all the fuss is about. Masterpiece ? Not even close: might have been great therapy for Jan but, and this may be unpalatable to some, it sounds like what it is... the product of someone in Jan's condition. The sitar is straight from a cheesy mid-late 60s sitcom where the producer was trying desperately to appear hip and some of the arrangements are way too top heavy. There's some nice pop songs in there - "Fan Tan", "Girl You're Blowing My Mind" - but overall it's just... mediocre. Their work from 1963-1965 was orders of magnitude better.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2013, 08:20:29 PM »

While I don't disagree that it's not a wall-to-wall masterpiece, the songs you mention plus several others (Hawaii, Love and Hate) are great, regardless of the circumstances. I have a soft spot for the spurting sitar, which I feel adds to the mood and feel of several tracks (again, don't disagree that it wasn't an attempt to ape the sound of the day), but where it's used to mimic the sound of a bee buzzing on a hazy summer day it's interesting and effective. The circumstances just make for a better story and personal triumph for Jan.

I've often wondered how Brian reacted/responded to Jan's accident... Did he lose a friend and competitor, in a practical sense? Again I go back to Meet Batman's influence on Smile...
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 08:37:58 PM by Mitchell » Logged

Watch out for snakes!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2013, 08:37:40 PM »

Over here, there's a car bumper sticker that I've seen that says, "Play an accordian, go to jail".

I think they should make a bumper sticker that says, "Play a Sitar, go to jail".

Agree with pretty much all of what AGD said regarding Carnival of Sound and the Jan Berry/J&D singles. Collectibles in the late 70's, those original singles were considered somewhat rare. The original "Save For A Rainy Day" vinyl was very much a collectible back in the 70's - 90's. Good that Sundazed eventually re-released the album (and EP) on CD and vinyl, even though it's pretty much all Dean and musicians. Carnival of Sound was released on CD a couple of years ago on Rhino and is great for the hardcore J&D fan and collector, but for the average listener........not.......really........a masterpiece.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 08:47:14 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2013, 04:02:58 AM »

never heard anything to get excited about on Carnival of Sound or come to think of it anything from J&D..also there not very good singers are they? Is that weird to say for a vocal heavy group from that period? sorry if this offends any j&d fans, maybe just need to be pointed in the right direction though I have listened to a lot of their stuff.

?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2013, 04:44:20 AM »

I'm not really a Jan and Dean fan but I can at least appreciate Jan's talent as a producer on the pre-accident stuff.  I don't get Carnival of Sound at all.  That album is a mess but I think the Davy Jones part of In the Still of the Night is hysterical.  Is it supposed to be funny?  I don't really know.
MBE
« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2013, 04:54:18 AM »

I've had Carnival Of Sound tapes from way back in the late 70s/early 80s, and for the life of me I've never seen/heard what all the fuss is about. Masterpiece ? Not even close: might have been great therapy for Jan but, and this may be unpalatable to some, it sounds like what it is... the product of someone in Jan's condition. The sitar is straight from a cheesy mid-late 60s sitcom where the producer was trying desperately to appear hip and some of the arrangements are way too top heavy. There's some nice pop songs in there - "Fan Tan", "Girl You're Blowing My Mind" - but overall it's just... mediocre. Their work from 1963-1965 was orders of magnitude better.
I hate to agree but that's basically how I feel. I think from Jenny Lee to SFARD much of their work has a keen satirical nature. They had their gimmicks but they were sincere about them. They were two (three counting Arnie) guys who had fun with what they did. Comparing them with the Beach Boys as vocalists is unfair, so few are in the same class. They weren't Caruso's but they had a cool sound.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2013, 06:41:43 AM »

never heard anything to get excited about on Carnival of Sound or come to think of it anything from J&D..also there not very good singers are they? Is that weird to say for a vocal heavy group from that period? sorry if this offends any j&d fans, maybe just need to be pointed in the right direction though I have listened to a lot of their stuff.

I don't mean to offend anyone, but I just can't stand the way they sing. There's no passion there, just monotone delivery most of the time. I think they had some excellent songs, and I have tried to get into them with several albums...but geez, I just can't do it. Pat Boone is a more exciting singer.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
halblaineisgood
« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2013, 07:12:32 AM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 01:40:04 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 19, 2013, 07:26:17 AM »

I don't mean to offend anyone, but I just can't stand the way they sing. There's no passion there, just monotone delivery most of the time. I think they had some excellent songs, and I have tried to get into them with several albums...but geez, I just can't do it. Pat Boone is a more exciting singer.

I felt the same way until I listened to The Complete Liberty Singles in its entirety, and their vocals haven't bothered me since.  I'm not entirely sure why that is.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2013, 07:45:29 AM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 01:40:53 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 19, 2013, 07:51:15 AM »

Is that the complete liberty singles in mono?
Yes.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #61 on: March 19, 2013, 08:00:57 AM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 01:42:13 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx