gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 04:00:09 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Great instrument playing moments in BBs recordings  (Read 43099 times)
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2013, 07:48:26 AM »

-Billy Strange's and Carl's 12 Strings on the Single Version of Help Me, Rhonda. In the new Stereo Mix from 2012 you can hear both, amazing! thanks Derry!
-Carl's 12 String Acoustic Guitar on the cover of Then I Kissed Her, the closest the Beach Boys came to country before Cotton Fields.
-Red Rhode's Pedal Steel Guitar on the Single Version of Cotton Fields.
-Hal Blaine's Orange Juice Container Percussion on God Only Knows.
-Brian's Organ playing on Gettin' Hungry.
Who could forget Paul Tanner all over the Good Vibrations Sessions, with his Electro Theremin!
-Carl and Glen on the intro of Dance, Dance, Dance with their 12 string Guitars!

Actually, it's Jim Gordon playing the plastic orange juice containers on God Only Knows (Hal played a regular drum kit...although he did play the empty Sparklett's water jug on Caroline, No).  And, on Dance, Dance, Dance Carl played electric 12-string, but Glen played acoustic 6-string. 
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2013, 07:52:03 AM »

What about the bass in California Dreaming?Huh People, someone, anyone....who plays that?HuhHuh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-ThPN8ZY4I

Can't say for sure who it is, but I am sure it's not one of the BBs, but rather a studio gun-for-hire.  Is it the same bass as on the original BBs version from '82, or is that one of the parts replaced on the '86 remix/redo?  I haven't A/B'd them in awhile...but either way, session players were used for the '82 version, and for the '86 version they got McGuinn to add 12-string guitar, and they redid the drums if memory serves.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2013, 08:44:17 AM »

Actually, it's Jim Gordon playing the plastic orange juice containers on God Only Knows (Hal played a regular drum kit...although he did play the empty Sparklett's water jug on Caroline, No).  And, on Dance, Dance, Dance Carl played electric 12-string, but Glen played acoustic 6-string. 

I thought the studio legend was that Glen made a mistake and played the 12-string line/riff wrong, but they kept the mistake and rewrote the part because Brian thought it was better?

Also - not that I'm arguing - but from a guitarist's standpoint that electric 12-string guitar solo sounds much more like Glen's style then Carl's, especially how he threw in the little Rickenbacker-centric 16th note rhythmic strumming phrase toward the end, just before the string bends. Honestly - and not to detract from Carl at all - that solo sounds more like a Glen solo from a technical-skill and feel angle then anything Carl had played on 12-string. Again, if it's Carl then I've been mistaken for the better part of three decades, but that solo not only defines a few classic "Rickenbacker licks" and sounds but also was what I thought was one of Glen's better solos...exciting as hell.

Compare Glen soloing on the Monkees' "Mary Mary" to Dance Dance Dance...the phrasing is so similar, and unlike Carl.

If I'm wrong I'm wrong, and it would blow my mind to correct the facts on this one if Carl did in fact take the solo.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2013, 08:54:34 AM »

I enjoy listening to the Dance, Dance, Dance sessions. One of my favorites.

Glen: (after making a couple of mistakes) "Damn it to Hell!"
Studio cat in the background: "Brian, should we call Jerry Cole?"
Glen: "What are you gonna call him?"

The vocal sessions are even funnier. And raunchier!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2013, 08:58:14 AM »

There are many, many instrument playing moments on Beach Boys recordings that I love. Especially when I listen to the instrumental tracks only.

One I was listening to yesterday was the live "In Concert" album from 1973. Rhonda. The bridge. The lead guitar. Maybe Blondie or Steady Eddie Carter. Just a fun lead to listen to. Sucker wails!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
schiaffino
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2013, 09:10:35 AM »

What about the bass in California Dreaming?Huh People, someone, anyone....who plays that?HuhHuh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-ThPN8ZY4I

Can't say for sure who it is, but I am sure it's not one of the BBs, but rather a studio gun-for-hire.  Is it the same bass as on the original BBs version from '82, or is that one of the parts replaced on the '86 remix/redo?  I haven't A/B'd them in awhile...but either way, session players were used for the '82 version, and for the '86 version they got McGuinn to add 12-string guitar, and they redid the drums if memory serves.

Thanks, C-man for the answer!

I'm just impressed with the style of bass playing in that song, so not the BBs regular approach. Its a very continuous bass line, not melodic in anyway as classic Brian lines are. But not to say is bad, in the contrary, it really makes the cover unique and contemporary.

"Maybe if we think and wish and hope and pray...it might come true
Baby then there wouldn't be a single thing we couldn't do..."
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2013, 09:17:19 AM »

Yes! Those and the Party! sessions are fun listening.

Mikie, do you think Glen or Carl played the guitar solo on Dance Dance Dance? I'll say again, for decades I always thought it was (and thought I heard) Glen.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2013, 09:20:34 AM »

Actually, it's Jim Gordon playing the plastic orange juice containers on God Only Knows (Hal played a regular drum kit...although he did play the empty Sparklett's water jug on Caroline, No).  And, on Dance, Dance, Dance Carl played electric 12-string, but Glen played acoustic 6-string.  

I thought the studio legend was that Glen made a mistake and played the 12-string line/riff wrong, but they kept the mistake and rewrote the part because Brian thought it was better?

Also - not that I'm arguing - but from a guitarist's standpoint that electric 12-string guitar solo sounds much more like Glen's style then Carl's, especially how he threw in the little Rickenbacker-centric 16th note rhythmic strumming phrase toward the end, just before the string bends. Honestly - and not to detract from Carl at all - that solo sounds more like a Glen solo from a technical-skill and feel angle then anything Carl had played on 12-string. Again, if it's Carl then I've been mistaken for the better part of three decades, but that solo not only defines a few classic "Rickenbacker licks" and sounds but also was what I thought was one of Glen's better solos...exciting as hell.

Compare Glen soloing on the Monkees' "Mary Mary" to Dance Dance Dance...the phrasing is so similar, and unlike Carl.

If I'm wrong I'm wrong, and it would blow my mind to correct the facts on this one if Carl did in fact take the solo.
Its definitely Carl. There are fingerprints in his solos and those 16th note flurrys are one of them that pops up in I Get Around, Do You Wanna Dance and some of his other early solos. David actually demonstrated to me the right hand position and quirky stroke that was unique to Carl that he developed early on. In Dance Dance Dance he really leans on that quick quirky rhythm style. I disagree that it sounds like Glen, who, as on Mary Mary was a much smoother and less nervous/chunky player. There's a Carl feel that's unmistakable and IMO Dance Dance Dance screams Carl. BTW Glen's anecdotes about his playing on BB's sessions has been proven wrong again and again by the actual session tapes. He's there on the Dance Dance Dance session, but in a support role to Carl.  
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23pKKGIIPbA
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 09:22:22 AM by Jon Stebbins » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2013, 09:34:08 AM »

I've always understood that Glen plays the acoustic lead on "Dance Dance Dance." Carl, who came up with the riff, plays the 12 string electric. But I defer to you guys on that. Carl had the 12 string Rick for the session in October, '64, right?

Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2013, 09:41:29 AM »

Carl had the 12 string Rick for the session in October, '64, right?

Yeah, he got it in August '64.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2013, 09:47:33 AM »

And, amazingly, Carl played the Dance, Dance, Dance guitar solo LIVE on the basic track...virtually unheard of, as on all the earlier sessions that I can think of, he did the solos on an overdub track (oftentimes while the group were singing the vocals...meaning, he stood at the mic with Al, Brian, and Dennis...Mike was on his own mic...with the guitar strapped on, then played the solo, then went back to singing afterwards).  All this is evident in the various session tapes.  Once or twice they might have "punched in" the guitar solo, but most of the time, he was playing it live on one of the vocal overdub tracks.  But for Dance, Dance, Dance, Carl played the electric 12-string throughout the basic track, including the solo.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 09:49:58 AM by c-man » Logged
schiaffino
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2013, 11:20:05 AM »

This is becoming a cool thread, thanks everyone for participating  Cheesy

"Maybe if we think and wish and hope and pray...it might come true
Baby then there wouldn't be a single thing we couldn't do..."
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2013, 12:06:14 PM »

So I'm assuming Carl played the guitars in Nashville for the alternate version of "Dance, Dance, Dance" a few weeks earlier? Any session sheets available for that date at Columbia?

harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2013, 12:35:10 PM »

The chord that starts the bridge on Caroline No, which is answered by a sax. Just a phenomenal moment in the history of all music.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2013, 01:03:34 PM »

So I'm assuming Carl played the guitars in Nashville for the alternate version of "Dance, Dance, Dance" a few weeks earlier? Any session sheets available for that date at Columbia?

No AFM sheet has surfaced, and since it was considered a demo rather than a master, there probably wasn't one.  As for Carl playing guitar on the Nashville demo, I'm quite sure he did.  But Al also played guitar on both versions, 6-string electric rhythm, one of the few sessions where he played guitar instead of or in addition to bass.  The intro (on the "official" version) is played first by Ray Pohlman on 6-string Dano bass, then the others join in, including Brian on Fender bass.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2013, 01:52:18 PM »

Thanks, C.  Smiley

Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2013, 02:13:37 PM »

I personally have two musical moments which enchant me every time I hear them:

the whole backing track of 'Steamboat', the arrangements are incredible

during the fade (starting at 2.15) of 'Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder)', when the isolated instrument (guitar?) does a small 'riff' where the last note is also struck by a vibraphone, quite a special musical moment for me...
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2013, 02:24:49 PM »

Dennis' drum build/fill on "A Casual Look" going out of the bridge and into Mike's "And so with a smile, she walked down the aisle..."

Just brilliant!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2013, 04:53:41 PM »

I personally have two musical moments which enchant me every time I hear them:

the whole backing track of 'Steamboat', the arrangements are incredible

during the fade (starting at 2.15) of 'Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder)', when the isolated instrument (guitar?) does a small 'riff' where the last note is also struck by a vibraphone, quite a special musical moment for me...

The fade of "Please Let Me Wonder" has an almost exact same moment, struck vibraphone and all.  That's one of my fave instrumental moments.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2013, 05:05:59 PM »

The organ/keyboard freak-out on "Leaving This Town" from In Concert leaves me speechless every time.... The moog solo on the Holland is great too and really suits the vibe of the album.
zachrwolfe
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2013, 06:21:08 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:24:58 PM by zatch » Logged
zachrwolfe
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2013, 06:31:29 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:24:54 PM by zatch » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2013, 06:46:24 PM »

Pardon my ignorance, but I would be interested in hearing that, is it on any officially-released compilation or did you find it on a bootleg?

You're not ignorant. It's on "Capitol Punishment" and "Sea Of Tunes Unsurpassed Masters Vol. 7 - The Alternate Beach Boys Today Album Vol. 1."

Mark H.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2013, 08:20:08 PM »

Sail on Sailer - the staccato guitar riff in the verses by Carl I presume.  A perfect addition to the instrumental track.

Don't Talk - strings

Little Girl I Once Knew - brilliant use of stacked horns as pads, great bass tone, a perfect instrumental track

DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2013, 09:35:23 PM »

If I had to pick one musical moment that really strikes me more than any other, it has to be the instrumental outro in 'In the Back of My Mind'. Nothing in pop music can touch that.

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx