gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680815 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 09:45:00 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Great instrument playing moments in BBs recordings  (Read 43501 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: February 22, 2013, 12:45:11 PM »

And bottom line, The Monkees are about the music if we're talking about the music: You either like the songs or not, end of story.

I don't see the need to bash them since it's already been done to death so many times since 1967, and ultimately the records hold up well and a few are legitimate 60's classics that still are played and enjoyed.

And they were and still are one of my biggest influences on becoming a musician: Beatles-Monkees-Beach Boys, those three are something I really do love and enjoy in life.

So if we take it personal, or if it seems that way, that music is pretty close to the heart for some of us, and it's ok to not care for it but maybe bashing them or comparing them to whatever other artist isn't the best way to have such a discussion.

That's all.  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 22, 2013, 12:46:14 PM »

Grin
Don't want to be rude or anything, but what's the deal with 'The Monkeys' in this and other BBs threads?

I personally don't like them, find them boring and overall uninteresting - compared to all the good stuff happening back in the 60s. Why are we comparing them to the band that produced the best record in history? To the band led by an acknowledged musical genius and a TM master Jedi?

If comparisons are made, for whatever reason, please use top names. Not the dull Monkeys.

And sorry, don't mean to offend anyone, but its already difficult enough defending the Boys when Mike & Bruce play Seaworld *sigh*

Yes, I certainly can't see any possible reason whatsoever to draw Beach Boys parallels with the Monkees. After all, the Beach Boys have nothing in common with a band who, for a few years in the mid-60s, were the most popular American band of the time, the Beatles' only serious competition, who after a string of light pop hits started making strange, experimental music that lost them nearly all their fanbase overnight, who recorded in LA using many of the best session musicians but who played on far more of their own records than they're given credit for, who, if they're given credit at all by critics, tend only to get it for one album even though their work after that was far better, who have a member named Michael whose son Christian performs with him, whose work between 1967 and 1970 is pretty much ignored but utterly spectacular, whose 1980s and 1990s work is horrible, who have had remasters produced by Andrew Sandoval, whose lead singer is bald but thinks if he wears a hat no-one will realise this, and who had a reunion tour last year, featuring the eccentric genius and most talented member of the band who hadn't played live with them since the mid-90s, and who hadn't played much with them at all since the 1960s -- a reunion tour that was hugely successful, though many fans wished that the percussion-playing sex symbol of the band, whose name started with D, was still alive to join in, though he was represented by video footage.

Yeah, makes no sense at all for people to bring the Monkees up, does it?

Grin  Love it.  That's great.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 22, 2013, 12:51:22 PM »

I'm all for talking Monkees in a Monkees thread. If I recall correctly this one is called "Great instrument playing in BBs recordings". I could understand if a Monkee or two or three or four played on a Beach Boys recording, but I ain't read nothing of the sort, so far. Just saying... Smiley

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
schiaffino
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 22, 2013, 12:54:16 PM »

Always nice to get interesting feedback from people here  Smiley and let me state, Andrew, that I follow your posts and like your overall take on many aspects of the BBs history.

But I have to disagree on the Monkeys (Monkees, whatever) comparison. Some quick arguments:
  • None of their albums has been voted the best or 2nd best in history
  • None of their members has been honored as much as Brian (Grammys, Kennedy awards
  • Haven't heard anyone lately quoting them as a definitive musical influence
  • None of their songs has a fifth of the complexity of Brian's arrangements on Today (side B), Pet Sounds, GVs or Smile
  • Their history is boring and not as soap-opera hypnotizing as the BBs
  • None of their members can levitate or give a Rock & Roll Hall of Fame speech as cool as Mike
  • Never heard Paul McCartney mentioning a Monkey's song as a personal fav
  • Never heard many successful covers of their songs, maybe except for Smash Mouth - but they sucked anyways; unlike all the David Lee Roths, Kathy Perrys, Taylor Swifts out there
  • Never seen/heard Zooey Deschannel singing anything from them - ok, I'm love with her, this is not a real argument
  • I'm certain they didnt sell half of what the Boys sold
  • Wonder how many people would actually go to see a Monkeys/Monkees/Primates reunion tour - if ever there's one; and what kind of media hype would it get

Got many, many more reasons but have to go back to work. Debate is open, Mr. Andrew, looking forward to your reply  Wink

Dude, this sounds like a teenage girl summing up a rock encylopedia entry from 1971. Received wisdom, hot air.

The Monkees made some incredible records, you don't HAVE to like them, but I get the impression you've never even listened to them

If you judge groups by 'firsts' etc (which personally I don't)... they were amongst the first if not THE first group to do country tinged rock/pop, a precursor to Mike Nesmiths solo records. I have a feeling they were amongst the first groups to use a moog on record too. I dunno. All of that's irrelevent. They were just great. I'd rather listen to one of their lps than The Beatles, any day of the week.

I

Man, I knew that Kathy Perry/Taylor Swift stuff was gonna get me into trouble...  Tongue

And you're right, I'm not an expert on them but the little music I've heard does not impress me. I find it boring and uninteresting COMPARED to the Beach Boys.  Maybe compared to other folky stuff from the 60s they may beok, but I couldnt care less.

This is a BBs board and we discuss here the history and in-and-outs of the greatest music ever done and the genius of Brian Wilson. So I don't need to like another group here, nor am I expected to know anything about The Monkeeys (or however you spell that awful name). If I get challenged on BBs music, if I say nonsense about the band, then yes, I deserve criticism and I'd take it. But not on the Monkees, pleaaaasseeeee.

And maybe unlike you guys, I was not born liking the BBs. I got to know them, among others, because something called 'Pet Sounds' kept on appearing as the number 1 or number 2 best album ever, and that made me curious and then I got the album and everything unfolded from there. So I dont ditch music lists or album reviews right away, there's actually good information you can find in specialized magazines and books.

Actually good enough information to get me into the BBs.

"Maybe if we think and wish and hope and pray...it might come true
Baby then there wouldn't be a single thing we couldn't do..."
schiaffino
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 22, 2013, 12:54:52 PM »

I'm all for talking Monkees in a Monkees thread. If I recall correctly this one is called "Great instrument playing in BBs recordings". I could understand if a Monkee or two or three or four played on a Beach Boys recording, but I ain't read nothing of the sort, so far. Just saying... Smiley

You read my mind, thanks.

Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 22, 2013, 01:02:00 PM »

Problem is when you post something incredibly derogatory about one of pop music's most underrated bands of all-time and then add 'you don't want to offend anybody' I'd remind you you the Beach Boys constantly get the same narrow minded assessment from people who know nothing about them. To say the Monkees never did anything complex is just plain wrong, the Porpoise Song, As We Go Along, Listen to the Band, Shorty Blackwell etc... are some of the most beautiful and imaginative productions ever committed to vinyl. Like the Beach Boys, the Monkees catalog is DEEP...with album tracks on a string of records rendered in a higher quality than only a small handful of groups can claim. To quote one of their songs...you've got some growing to do.

For many of us here, bad words about the Monkees only remind us how many people are stupid in thinking the Beach Boys are boring and uninteresting (because if you really pay attention they are not).
schiaffino
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 22, 2013, 01:18:52 PM »

Problem is when you post something incredibly derogatory about one of pop music's most underrated bands of all-time and then add 'you don't want to offend anybody' I'd remind you you the Beach Boys constantly get the same narrow minded assessment from people who know nothing about them. To say the Monkees never did anything complex is just plain wrong, the Porpoise Song, As We Go Along, Listen to the Band, Shorty Blackwell etc... are some of the most beautiful and imaginative productions ever committed to vinyl. Like the Beach Boys, the Monkees catalog is DEEP...with album tracks on a string of records rendered in a higher quality than only a small handful of groups can claim. To quote one of their songs...you've got some growing to do.

For many of us here, bad words about the Monkees only remind us how many people are stupid in thinking the Beach Boys are boring and uninteresting (because if you really pay attention they are not).

Fair point, Mr. Stebbins.

I apologize if my post was offending to anyone here. My objective in this board is to discuss and learn about the band I love the most. I have an ever growing respect for them and get a bit sensitive when comparisons are drawn with other bands, specially because of how their current state of affairs (inner discrepancies) fuels criticism and misunderstanding (from less informed parties).

For example, how do I explain that the same band that made Good Vibrations is now playing Seaworld and singing Kokomo as the show highlight? I'd need to give a week-long, history lesson to put some context and actually endup with many, many questions myself.

For me the Monkees were not a good comparison, I felt it was undermining the value of the band. I never had them in my radar as a relevant group in the history of pop music, but now I understand people in this board appreciate them and  I can certainly respect that.

So, Mr. Stebbins, Andrew et al, it was not my intention to make a derogatory comment on this band. Thank u for your arguments, cool stuff to look into, but please lets get back to analyzing the BBs music playing greatest moments. Shall we?

P.S.
I felt happy Taylor Swift covered GOK. She did a good job and its bringing the song to a new generation. And although to some sounds like a 'teenage girl argument', youth is the future and they need to get to know the Beach Boys. Or else this board will die with us.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 01:20:47 PM by schiaffino » Logged

halblaineisgood
« Reply #132 on: February 22, 2013, 01:20:48 PM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 09:21:17 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 22, 2013, 01:24:32 PM »

wtf? The only reason people are still talking about them, is because you couldn't let the perfectly in context side mention of them pass without a lengthy and uninformed diss.

LOL

I always forget this forum is full of idiots! More fool me...
halblaineisgood
« Reply #134 on: February 22, 2013, 01:27:25 PM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 09:21:49 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
schiaffino
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: February 22, 2013, 01:30:30 PM »

wtf? The only reason people are still talking about them, is because you couldn't let the perfectly in context side mention of them pass without a lengthy and uninformed diss.

LOL

Don't agree with you, dude, no one in this board is stupid.

Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 22, 2013, 01:31:30 PM »

Dennis' drums on "I'm So Young" deserve honorable mention!
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 22, 2013, 01:36:48 PM »

Exactly. It's *exactly* the same dismissal, and for the same reasons, and by the same people, as the dismissal of the Beach Boys as "Oh, that band that did Barbara Ann and Kokomo".

And that's one very big reason the Monkees do come up in these discussions -- they've faced much the same image problems and dismissal of their abilities as musicians, and the same claims that session musicians did work they did, right down to Carol Kaye claiming credit for records she never played on.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 22, 2013, 01:39:45 PM »

LOL

We just got done going over this name calling crap in the sandbox. Just for the record, I just don't like when threads get hijacked. I have no problem talking about another band if it relates. So, I'll ask you since you posted your smart-ass remark; who in the Monkees played great on a Beach Boys recording?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
schiaffino
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 22, 2013, 01:45:47 PM »

That's Dennis drumming? Its really good stuff, actually the whole song is amazing. I specially love the coda - up there with their best PS-Smile stuff.

Nice one  Wink

Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 22, 2013, 01:47:42 PM »

That's Dennis drumming? Its really good stuff, actually the whole song is amazing. I specially love the coda - up there with their best PS-Smile stuff.

Nice one  Wink

It is indeed Dennis, so is When I Grow Up, Dance Dance Dance, and I think Please Let Me Wonder?

You owe it to yourself to seek out the Unsurpassed Masters: Today session stuff....!
halblaineisgood
« Reply #141 on: February 22, 2013, 01:56:13 PM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 09:22:18 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: February 22, 2013, 02:13:20 PM »

Smiley Smile was the BBs themselves on all instruments, except for Chuck Bergofer on some standup bass (not counting GV and H&V, of course).  Wild Honey was mostly the BBs, with Ron Brown doing some bass, plus horn & string players here or there.  Maybe Hal on drums for Darlin', but not sure.  For Friends, 20/20 and Sunflower, they reverted back to using hired guns for a lot of the instrumentation,
So, aside from Do It Again, is it mostly Jim Gordon drumming on Friends?

Do It Again was on Friends at one time?  Oh, you mean the Friends-20/20 twofer CD...   Wink
Seriously, on the Friends LP, Norm Jeffries plays all the drums on Side One (with Jim Gordon helping out on percussion for "Passing By").
On Side Two, it's one of the BBs (probably Dennis, but who knows, maybe Carl) playing congas on "Ana Lee The Healer", then it's Jim Gordon for "Little Bird" and "Transcendental Meditation" and Gene Pello for "Busy Doin' Nothin'".  Not sure who plays bongos on "Diamond Head", possibly Brian or one of the track's other composers, since they're the only ones listed on the AFM contract.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: February 22, 2013, 02:15:02 PM »

Nice one  Wink

Dude, I invite you to check out my website, where I've posted essays on the Today! and Summer Days albums (and associated outtakes), plus Dennis' solo stuff.  I've been able to identify the musicians on nearly every cut from AFM contracts & session tapes.  I think you'll dig it.
www.beachboysarchives.com

halblaineisgood
« Reply #144 on: February 22, 2013, 02:29:28 PM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 09:12:42 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
schiaffino
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 22, 2013, 02:32:40 PM »

Nice one  Wink

Dude, I invite you to check out my website, where I've posted essays on the Today! and Summer Days albums (and associated outtakes), plus Dennis' solo stuff.  I've been able to identify the musicians on nearly every cut from AFM contracts & session tapes.  I think you'll dig it.
www.beachboysarchives.com

cool c-man, will certainly do

Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 22, 2013, 03:50:24 PM »

Fair point, Mr. Stebbins.

I apologize if my post was offending to anyone here. My objective in this board is to discuss and learn about the band I love the most. I have an ever growing respect for them and get a bit sensitive when comparisons are drawn with other bands, specially because of how their current state of affairs (inner discrepancies) fuels criticism and misunderstanding (from less informed parties).

For example, how do I explain that the same band that made Good Vibrations is now playing Seaworld and singing Kokomo as the show highlight? I'd need to give a week-long, history lesson to put some context and actually endup with many, many questions myself.

For me the Monkees were not a good comparison, I felt it was undermining the value of the band. I never had them in my radar as a relevant group in the history of pop music, but now I understand people in this board appreciate them and  I can certainly respect that.

So, Mr. Stebbins, Andrew et al, it was not my intention to make a derogatory comment on this band. Thank u for your arguments, cool stuff to look into, but please lets get back to analyzing the BBs music playing greatest moments. Shall we?

The good news is that you initiated what has turned into a great thread.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #147 on: February 22, 2013, 04:02:45 PM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 09:15:15 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 22, 2013, 04:03:16 PM »

Just like your books, VERY NICELY said Jon!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 22, 2013, 04:06:31 PM »

Nice one  Wink

It is indeed Dennis, so is When I Grow Up, Dance Dance Dance, and I think Please Let Me Wonder?

You owe it to yourself to seek out the Unsurpassed Masters: Today session stuff....!
Please Let Me Wonder has Earl Palmer on drums.
On BB's Today Dennis plays drums on When I Grow Up, I'm So Young, Dance Dance Dance and... She Knows Me Too Well.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx