gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:54:21 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 ... 141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The return of the "What are you listening to now?" thread  (Read 805614 times)
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: March 31, 2013, 12:30:48 AM »

Sweethearts of the Rodeo - I Feel Fine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llZUkDwxAnw

One of the coolest Beatles covers.  Pretty straight forward, but it kind of sounds like the girls are singing it in a lower key than the Beatles did?  Very strange.  Nice guitar work, John would have loved it, I think.   I think John was very proud of that lick, if you listen closely when he did the show with Elton John in Madison Square Garden, when he walks on stage, he plays that lick to tune his guitar. 
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: April 28, 2013, 05:20:09 AM »

Rarities Sunday...  3D

So far:

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1377 on: April 28, 2013, 05:42:04 AM »

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1378 on: April 28, 2013, 07:05:16 AM »

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: April 28, 2013, 03:50:21 PM »

Oh man, that's a hell of a record to pick given that its title is demonstrably false now  Cry

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1380 on: April 29, 2013, 02:21:34 AM »

Oh man, that's a hell of a record to pick given that its title is demonstrably false now  Cry

Sure but it's got some fantastic titles on it

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: April 30, 2013, 05:40:37 AM »

The Pixies - Surfer Rosa. Great stuff.
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: April 30, 2013, 02:36:57 PM »

Peter Wolf Lights Out extended remix

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Heteronym
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: May 05, 2013, 08:06:47 PM »

Yesterday I went to my first big concert. I saw Paul McCartney in Belo Horizonte (Brazil) and it was absolutely awesome and mind-blowing. As a consequence, I'm now addicted to "Another Day" (which, I admit, I didn't know).

I'm also listening quite a bit to "For The Longest Time", by Billy Joel. And, yes, I did hear the song on How I Met Your Mother  Razz
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: May 08, 2013, 07:16:27 PM »

Yesterday I went to my first big concert. I saw Paul McCartney in Belo Horizonte (Brazil) and it was absolutely awesome and mind-blowing. As a consequence, I'm now addicted to "Another Day" (which, I admit, I didn't know).

I'm also listening quite a bit to "For The Longest Time", by Billy Joel. And, yes, I did hear the song on How I Met Your Mother  Razz

Very awesome. Seeing Paul or Ringo is something I've never done.

My current kick is the Small Faces Ogdens' Nut Gone Flake. Can't get enough of it.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: May 10, 2013, 10:20:02 AM »

My current kick is the Small Faces Ogdens' Nut Gone Flake. Can't get enough of it.
Nice music, good band.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 02:40:11 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: May 11, 2013, 07:51:59 AM »

It's a terrific album by one of my favorite artists. What is/are your favorite track(-s) off it? F.ex., I like The Hungry Intruder, Happiness Stan, Lazy Sunday. Btw, I'm fond of it not for the music, but also the fairytale-like narration. Reminds me a bit of Mount Vernon & Fairway.
Yap, great album. Easily on par with all the other more well-known, higher profile concept albums by 'bigger' bands.

Speaking of bands which should have been much bigger and also in regard to what I'm listening to right now:

MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: May 11, 2013, 08:30:42 AM »

It's a terrific album by one of my favorite artists. What is/are your favorite track(-s) off it? F.ex., I like The Hungry Intruder, Happiness Stan, Lazy Sunday. Btw, I'm fond of it not for the music, but also the fairytale-like narration. Reminds me a bit of Mount Vernon & Fairway.
Yap, great album. Easily on par with all the other more well-known, higher profile concept albums by 'bigger' bands.

Speaking of bands which should have been much bigger and also in regard to what I'm listening to right now:

I'm jealous, need to get my hands on that. #1 Record, Radio City and Sister Lovers are always on heavy rotation with me. Occasionally spiced up with the box set and the live albums but there's just never enough! LOL

Been on a Teenage Fanclub kick recently, bought five of their albums on a whim and am hooked.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: May 15, 2013, 03:35:20 PM »

Got The Essential Phil Spector today - The remasters of The Righteous Brothers, The Modern Folk Quartet, The Treasures, etc, are so insane. It fills in nearly everything besides the Philles Album Collection except....

Why in the name of Mike Love didn't they put River Deep Mountain High on it? Or any of the other banging Ike & Tina cuts produced by Phil - his zenith! If any tune could be defined as 'The Essential Phil Spector', it's River Deep. I need a remaster, goddamnit.

This is where someone tells me they remastered the River Deep Mountain High album too and I do a backflip.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: May 16, 2013, 03:58:16 AM »

Got The Essential Phil Spector today - The remasters of The Righteous Brothers, The Modern Folk Quartet, The Treasures, etc, are so insane. It fills in nearly everything besides the Philles Album Collection except....

Why in the name of Mike Love didn't they put River Deep Mountain High on it? Or any of the other banging Ike & Tina cuts produced by Phil - his zenith! If any tune could be defined as 'The Essential Phil Spector', it's River Deep. I need a remaster, goddamnit.

This is where someone tells me they remastered the River Deep Mountain High album too and I do a backflip.

Is the Essential Phil Spector worth getting? The only PS stuff i have is the Wall of Sound Retrospective, Christmas Gift, Back to Mono and Philles Album Collection and obviously there's some tracks missing from them (given the amount of overlap in the Philles Album Collection alone Tongue ). The River Deep Mountain High album remaster  has been on my wishlist since it came out in '11, really should get around to buying it as I've heard it's dynamite. £12.37 on Amazon at the moment.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: May 21, 2013, 05:22:07 PM »

Depends - the remasters are great, but then you've already got most of them on the Philles Album Collection! I picked up the Essential for a fiver from my local record shop, and The Righteous Brothers tracks alone are worth the price of admission - You've Lost That Lovin Feelin' sounds so fresh, they've done really good work on the master. Also, has those obscurer ones that I mentioned.

The American version apparently has the Ike & Tina cuts - a boardmember was able to hit me up with River Deep Mountain High, which sounds great, but if the full River Deep album was remastered I should pick that up... but was it remastered by the same dudes? Need to see if it's on Spotify or something.

Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: May 26, 2013, 12:05:12 PM »

Listening to NMH's 'In An Aeroplane Over The Sea', but I don't really get it. I love most of the album, but I just can't associate it with phrases such as "masterpiece" or "life-changing experience". I can't see it ever becoming a true favourite of mine.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: May 26, 2013, 02:38:55 PM »

Listening to NMH's 'In An Aeroplane Over The Sea', but I don't really get it. I love most of the album, but I just can't associate it with phrases such as "masterpiece" or "life-changing experience". I can't see it ever becoming a true favourite of mine.

It'd definitely change your life if you were in yr mid-teens, tho - it's THAT kind of album. I think I heard it when I was 16, thought it was the sh*t, but I don't think I've listened to it for years. Of course, I'd probably be able to sing along to it perfectly still. It's that kind of album IME.

Besides, looking for an album to 'change your life' is a bit of a tall order!

Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: May 27, 2013, 02:47:58 AM »

It'd definitely change your life if you were in yr mid-teens, tho - it's THAT kind of album. I think I heard it when I was 16, thought it was the sh*t, but I don't think I've listened to it for years. Of course, I'd probably be able to sing along to it perfectly still. It's that kind of album IME.

Besides, looking for an album to 'change your life' is a bit of a tall order!

Mid-teens as in what? I was 17 when I first heard the album.

You're right though, I was probably expecting too much. What are your favourites on the album? I've always thought 'King of Carrot Flowers 2&3' - 'title track' - 'Two-Headed Boy' to be the record's best section.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 02:49:56 AM by Drunken Prophet » Logged
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: May 29, 2013, 04:54:12 AM »

Oh sorry, I thought you were listening to it for the first time now!

As far as it changing your life, it's definitely the kind of album you can get very 'into' - it really rewards deep listening which is, at least for me, kind of how I approached music at 15-16, just really soaking up a few songs or albums. That's sorta swapped as I got a bit older, like I listen to a lot of varied stuff not as intently as I listened to NMH, or The Libertines, or that first Arctic Monkeys album, or Spiritualized, or BWPS, or Joy Division, The Clash, or Sgt Pepper or etc... Downloading's sort of ruined that for me.

Also weird is how self-consciously it's presented as a masterpiece nowadays? Like, the CD I have has quotes from various people on Domino  on the back saying how it changed their life (not exactly common among other 'canonical' albums) and like you're saying - you go into expecting YOUR LIFE TO NEVER BE THE SAME AGAIN.

Man, this is dredging it up - I remember getting really involved with the long, winding acoustic ballads on there, I was listening to a lot of Dylan at the time so it sort of resonated with me on that level too. Gonna listen to it again now - forgot how kinetic it is when it starts, just the explosion of King Of The Carrot Flowers Pt2 & 3.

This morning, I was listening to Reasonable Doubt by Jay-Z - blimey, that's a record. Just highlights how far Jay's fallen off though....
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 05:06:07 AM by hypehat » Logged

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1395 on: May 29, 2013, 03:26:09 PM »

Now, after having found nothing else that FITS to listen to all day, am spinning 3 Feet High & Rising by De La Soul, another record I haven't listened to in about five years. I miss this album.

And I did always want to know how many times the Batmobile caught a flat....
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 03:28:25 PM by hypehat » Logged

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: May 31, 2013, 05:52:05 PM »

The catchiest (perhaps only) track about picking up cougars at the supermarket...I present you with Chester French's "People" (which still isn't officially released!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4cODYzNFzQ

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: June 05, 2013, 02:32:33 PM »

Beach Boys Live at Wembley 2012

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: June 06, 2013, 12:54:17 AM »

Wish Me A Rainbow - Astrud Gilberto

I love Astrud Gilberto so much. She might be my favorite vocalist of all time
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: June 08, 2013, 02:05:32 PM »

Beady Eye - BE
My CD finally came through today [waiting on my LP] but I'm really pleased with the album. Good cover too  Cool Guy [Posts censored version with sticker]

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 ... 141 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx