gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 03:46:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 87 88 89 [90] 91 92 93 94 95 ... 141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The return of the "What are you listening to now?" thread  (Read 806154 times)
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #2225 on: December 28, 2014, 04:03:48 PM »

Ryan Adams' self-titled album, Love Is Hell, and 1984 x 598359385, as well as a bunch of his other songs. Since mid-September. I'm finding I like a lot of his weirder/heavier stuff over his usual folky/country fare, although some of that stuff's really cool, too. Someone plz tell me they like him, too.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2226 on: December 29, 2014, 12:32:55 AM »

...has been my all-time favourite album for quite some time now.

Thumbs Up
I think it's my favorite album after Pet Sounds...I had meant to listen to it for 3 years and finally got around to it two weeks ago and it is incredible.

My last.fm page will show how much I've listened to it on my computer alone. I'm obsessed.

Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2227 on: December 29, 2014, 12:56:33 AM »

I only heard it yesterday! The Who aren't usually my sort of thing, but I was very impressed with Quadrophenia. It's such a huge album.

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2228 on: December 29, 2014, 01:14:32 AM »

It's the way the musical themes come through that make it so good. You don't quite realize what has been pushed through until the album finishes and you have all those little pieces that appear in multiple songs spinning around in your head. A lot of double albums have the problem of starting strong and losing momentum towards the end, but side 2 starts almost immediately with "5:15" and that ridiculously good horn part, which pops up again later.

I'm also looking at all these incredible songs and ideas that Pete Townshend put together, completely on his own. Tommy had two songs written by Entwistle, Who's Next had one, and Quadrophenia has none. I have so much respect for him being able to disappear into his room with a tape recorder and write everything without any help - lyrics, melody, arrangements and all. I believe Brian Wilson to be the most creative musical mind in pop music, but he had collaborators on many of his greatest and most accessible songs. It's interesting to me how different artists capable of creating incredible things work differently, and how they differ as a result of their methods.

anyway, props to Townshend for his songs and ideas. I'll be seeing a Who show in September. Looks like it'll be a greatest hits show and not a show where they do the entire Quadrophenia album live like they have been doing recently, but that's okay. I was checking out recent setlists and they played some cool stuff, like playing "A Quick One, While He's Away" for the first time since 1970. Maybe I'll get lucky and get some stuff like that.

Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #2229 on: December 29, 2014, 03:09:03 AM »

A lot of double albums have the problem of starting strong and losing momentum towards the end, but side 2 starts almost immediately with "5:15" and that ridiculously good horn part, which pops up again later.

Totally, and what a monster of an ending. Love Reign O'er me has got to be their A Day in the Life, their You Set the Scene. Only less pretentious and more humble.

I'm also looking at all these incredible songs and ideas that Pete Townshend put together, completely on his own. Tommy had two songs written by Entwistle, Who's Next had one, and Quadrophenia has none. I have so much respect for him being able to disappear into his room with a tape recorder and write everything without any help - lyrics, melody, arrangements and all. I believe Brian Wilson to be the most creative musical mind in pop music, but he had collaborators on many of his greatest and most accessible songs. It's interesting to me how different artists capable of creating incredible things work differently, and how they differ as a result of their methods.

Well put. It's no wonder that Quad is the album Pete is most proud of, given the work he put into it. It definitely is the band's most complete rock opera - on Tommy they were supposed to add strings and the album works 10 times better when performed live anyway, while Who's Next lost so many great songs when it was reduced to a single album. But there is not a single thing I would add or modify on Quadrophenia.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 03:10:01 AM by Ovi » Logged
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #2230 on: December 29, 2014, 02:31:25 PM »

For me, Townshend is the next best thing to sliced bread (sliced bread being Brian Wilson) - I've really been getting into Pete's work with the who, and even dabbling in a few (but not all) of his solo pieces in the last year.  The guy's energy is incredible and just blows my cotton socks off everytime (well nearly eveytime - I'm looking at you, Iron Giant)

Hope you have a time at the gig.

Anyway, I'm sitting back spinning this totally unexpected but highly appreciated christmas present - funky, dippy, trippy, proggy early 70s stuff.  Freedom will come your way.

Morning Of The Earth Complete Original Soundtrack

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #2231 on: December 31, 2014, 02:36:05 PM »

As I spend New Years Eve alone, I listen to Artie Shaw New Years Eve 1938...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYDFogmwOzI
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2232 on: January 03, 2015, 04:54:45 PM »

Buddy Holly. Imagine what he might have done if not for his premature death. Such gorgeous songs.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2233 on: January 04, 2015, 07:35:48 AM »

Jascha Hoffman. I heard an interview with this artist--whom I'd never heard before--on NPR this morning and really enjoyed the character-driven (actually obituary-driven), semi-orchestrated (sometimes) indie pop sung by this Ben Foldsish voice (especially on "The Atom Bomb"). Turns out the album, The Afterneath, is available for purchase at any price from his website.

Here is a brief story and some links. I'm really enjoying this.

http://www.thetakeaway.org/story/obituaries-set-song-jascha-hoffmans-album-afterneath/

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #2234 on: January 08, 2015, 08:57:26 AM »

Justin Bieber's "U Smile" 800 times slower: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bidHnEekXpE

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2235 on: January 08, 2015, 09:25:37 AM »

Interesting John.  I'd never found any of these 800% slowed down tracks.  I didn't stick around for the full 35 minutes, but did sample the "Strawberry Fields" 800% slower while I was there.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2236 on: January 08, 2015, 01:00:29 PM »

Interesting John.  I'd never found any of these 800% slowed down tracks.  I didn't stick around for the full 35 minutes, but did sample the "Strawberry Fields" 800% slower while I was there.
I love the stretched Bieber track. I think it's an advantage not to know these songs beforehand. I've never listened to "U Smile" and i don't intend to.

Another fantastic slowed down track (whose original I'm not familiar with) is the theme from Jurassic Park, which lasts something like 55 minutes!

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: January 08, 2015, 07:10:23 PM »

Sorry you were alone bro!  If you were near by, I'da had you over for some dranks!  But awesome pick for tunes.  This is by far my favorite era of music!

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: January 08, 2015, 07:57:29 PM »

Edison Hot Dance Obscurities, Vol 2

Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: January 09, 2015, 05:33:00 AM »

The Best of Blind Lemon Jefferson (Yazoo)  They've really cleaned up the sound. It's no longer such a struggle to hear Lemon underneath a big ball of noise and static!

Plus the Yazoo comp for Sleepy John Estes

And some Elvis here and there.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 05:42:07 AM by Moon Dawg » Logged
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2240 on: January 09, 2015, 09:52:27 AM »

Sorry you were alone bro!  If you were near by, I'da had you over for some dranks!  But awesome pick for tunes.  This is by far my favorite era of music!

Cheers Bean Bag! Yeah I absolutely love that particular era of music. Today, though, has been a Sun Records kinda day for me. Maybe because yesterday was Elvis' birthday. I love Mystery Train.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA5HErVE9oI
Tomorrowville
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2241 on: January 09, 2015, 12:49:08 PM »

Stuff I'm listening to a bunch this week:

Songwriter, keyboard player - Pentacon Six - indie pop
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #2242 on: January 09, 2015, 08:06:05 PM »

Cheers Bean Bag! Yeah I absolutely love that particular era of music. Today, though, has been a Sun Records kinda day for me. Maybe because yesterday was Elvis' birthday. I love Mystery Train.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA5HErVE9oI

Yup -- I'm with you again.  Elvis' b-day had me playing EP Boulevard late last night.  Danny Boy, Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain... amazing stuff.  Blue Eyes being one of the last songs he played.  But since it was his birthday yesterday... you probably had the right choice!  To make up for it, I'm going to bust out the FTD Boy From Tupelo tonight.

Right now, it's...

Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2243 on: January 09, 2015, 10:30:57 PM »

Trying this for the first time...

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2244 on: January 09, 2015, 11:12:02 PM »

I saw Peter Hook play Unknown Pleasures and Closer last year in Hong Kong. I got there early and was in the front row.

AMAZING show. He tours a lot - go see him if you get the chance. I'm pretty sure he spends most of his time playing shows around Britain.

Mr. French
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #2245 on: January 10, 2015, 07:23:45 AM »

The Best of Blind Lemon Jefferson (Yazoo)  They've really cleaned up the sound. It's no longer such a struggle to hear Lemon underneath a big ball of noise and static!

Plus the Yazoo comp for Sleepy John Estes

And some Elvis here and there.

Yazoo does it right.
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2246 on: January 11, 2015, 02:55:48 PM »

Trying this for the first time...

Great album!
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #2247 on: January 12, 2015, 02:19:36 PM »

Bruce Springsteen - Jungleland. Surely this has to be Bruce's own Stairway to Heaven. At least in terms of ambition.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2248 on: January 13, 2015, 10:09:51 AM »

The Three Window Coupe lp.  The Rip Chords?  Ya...if the Rip Chords were primarily Bruce and Terry.  [and often...the Wrecking Crew...or the Fantastic Baggies or other Beach Boys or Jan and Dean associates...]  Some good stuff here.  Well done.  And IT SAYS ... reading the extensive liner notes ... that 'they' had a recording of Help Me Rhonda in the 'can'... that it was pressed and ready to be delivered to radio and to the stores ... when Brian walked into Terry's office and said that he had re-recorded the 'Today' version and was going to release the new Rhonda as a Beach Boys single.  That said...Brian wanted to know what Terry "could do for him"?  Terry killed the release...and he and Brian basically became friends as a result of that meeting.

Funny that Bruce kind of hid as a KEY component of the Rip Chords...and then went and hid as a member of the Beach Boys for a couple of years...at least on record. [contractual stuff]

Album highlights include...
Three Window Coupe
This Little Woodie
Hot Rod USA
Beach Girl
My Big Gun Board
One Piece Topless Bathing Suit
Wah-Wahini

"The whole thing started back in '63...with Jan And Dean, The Beach Boys and Me."

True.

So those who don't give Bruce the credit he deserves...should take note.  His 50 years with the Beach Boys [mostly on/occaisionally off] began in '65 with California Girls.

I would go so far as to suggest that the Beach Boys could [especially considering their association, as well, with Terry] and should incorporate Rip Chords songs into the set.  Hey Little Cobra, 3 Window Coupe, and One Piece Topless Bathing Suit for sure.

Not a bad album.  REALLY good harmony group...if you only consider the interlopers...and some outstanding songs which compare favourably with the BB's and J&D material of the era.  [late 63...1964] Cool Guy

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: January 16, 2015, 02:48:48 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSmU6EZAw4c

750400A early April: RON WOOD. Richmond, England, The Wick (RW’s homestudio).
Producers: RW, Ian McLagan and Bobby Womack. Sound engineer: Keith Harwood.
First sessions for the upcoming 'Now Look'-album.
Note: For more info and musicians, see 750414A.

750414A 14th - 21st April [1974]: RON WOOD. Baambrugge, (near Amsterdam), Holland, B.B.C. Studios.
Producers: RW, Ian McLagan and Bobby Womack.
Sound engineer: Keith Harwood. Incl.
- Big Bayou (Gib Gilbeau)
- I Can Say She’s Alright II (RW/Bobby Womack)
- If You Don’t Want My Love I (Bobby Womack/Gordon T. Witt) -edit
- If You Don’t Want My Love II (Bobby Womack/Gordon T. Witt) -Now Look-version
- I Got A Feeling (Bobby Womack/Ian McLagan/Jean Roussell) -The Womack Sisters on backing vocals
- I Got Lost When I Found You (RW/Bobby Womack)
- Sweet Baby Mine (Jim Ford/Bobby Womack)
Line-up: RW (gtr, voc)/Bobby Womack (gtr, voc)/Ian McLagan (org, p)/Willie Weeks (bass)/Andy Newmark (dr)/Jean Roussell (el p, synth, clavinet)
Note: Recordings mixed in Electric Ladyland Studios and The Record Plant Studios, New York City during late April.
'I Can Say She’s Alright' with K[eith]R[ichards] on guitar was begun at The Wick in Spring 1974.

[Source

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 87 88 89 [90] 91 92 93 94 95 ... 141 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx