gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 11:34:41 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Live in Concert: 50th Anniversary DVD and Blu-ray.  (Read 68182 times)
SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 20, 2012, 03:12:14 AM »

If Capital Records is planning to release the entire reunion concert on CD and DVD there is no way that they're going to let PBS or anyone else release an entire show on DVD. I'm not surprised by any of this.

With the box set on the way I can see them holding the reunion concert until next year. Too much product at one time can keep sales down. (didn't we recently get the SMILE box?)

A complete show would be a big seller. For the casual fan they can release a Readers Digest version. I can see Capital getting the entire group back together next year to do the QVC thing and other promotions including a summer tour.

Coupled with a new studio album, 2013 could be another big year for the Beach Boys.

Burning with optimism's flames. (Thank you A.P. and XTC!)  Listening

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 20, 2012, 03:18:14 AM »

If Capital Records is planning to release the entire reunion concert on CD and DVD there is no way that they're going to let PBS or anyone else release an entire show on DVD. I'm not surprised by any of this.

With the box set on the way I can see them holding the reunion concert until next year. Too much product at one time can keep sales down. (didn't we recently get the SMILE box?)

A complete show would be a big seller. For the casual fan they can release a Readers Digest version. I can see Capital getting the entire group back together next year to do the QVC thing and other promotions including a summer tour.

Coupled with a new studio album, 2013 could be another big year for the Beach Boys.

Burning with optimism's flames. (Thank you A.P. and XTC!)  Listening

the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 20, 2012, 09:30:13 AM »

Is that amazon 1 star review authoritative or just bitter; I want 60 BB songs, yes, but I am ready to listen to /watch 21 for now. Is this review a critical assessment of the poor quality of the DVD or only a  protest against its brevity and fan-driven selections?  I have it on order and am keeping it on order to see for myself.  I watch  Doin' it again over and over, despite its flaws and limits.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 21, 2012, 09:54:45 PM »

so there's only going to be 21 songs on the dvd as opposed to 50? Shocked
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 21, 2012, 10:29:38 PM »

so there's only going to be 21 songs on the dvd as opposed to 50? Shocked

Oh, oh... Here's some more information, according to CD Universe, and it's not good.

With 56 US Top 100 hits, 36 Top Ten hits and 4 Number One singles, The Beach Boys left an impression on the 1960's pop culture rivaled only by the band that considered them their top competition: The Beatles. This video contains 21 classic Beach Boys hits performed live in Phoenix, Arizona on the band's 50th anniversary worldwide tour. Brian Wilson, Mike Love, Al Jardine, David Marks and Bruce Johnston gathered in 2012 for an emotional reunion in Los Angeles to record their first album of new material in 20 years, to reflect on their remarkable history and to kick off a worldwide tour.

Just 21 songs. How disappointing.

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=8840261&style=movie

Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: October 21, 2012, 11:35:39 PM »

Is that amazon 1 star review authoritative or just bitter; I want 60 BB songs, yes, but I am ready to listen to /watch 21 for now. Is this review a critical assessment of the poor quality of the DVD or only a  protest against its brevity and fan-driven selections?  I have it on order and am keeping it on order to see for myself.  I watch  Doin' it again over and over, despite its flaws and limits.

Sounds most likely that it's just some nerd whining that it's not the whole concert he's getting.  Not sure what the hell exactly this release will be, but I will wait at least until after I watch it before reviewing it.  :-)

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 22, 2012, 04:02:38 PM »

And now for the OFFICIAL tracklisting:

1.  Do It Again
 2.  Catch A Wave
 3.  Hawaii
 4.  Marcella
 5.  Isn't It Time
 6.  Little Deuce Coupe
 7.  409
 8.  Shut Down
 9.  I Get Around
 10.  Heroes And Villians
 11.  Sloop John B
 12.  Wouldn't It Be Nice
 13.  All This Is That
 14.  That's Why God Made The Radio
 15.  Sail On Sailor
 16.  Good Vibrations
 17.  California Girls
 18.  Help Me Rhonda
 19.  Rock And Roll Music
 20.  Kokomo
 21.  Fun Fun Fun 

http://www.walmart.com/ip/22001294?adid=
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 22, 2012, 04:06:53 PM »

I gotta say that I'm pleasantly surprised..."Marcella" "Sail On Sailor" "All This Is That"?  Who woulda thought?

It's not a knockout homerun considering they did chop out 29 songs (!!) but I'm definitely getting this and actually now looking forward to it a little.  Let's hope Capitol's DVD package delivers the real goods...
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 22, 2012, 04:07:14 PM »

And now for the OFFICIAL tracklisting:

1.  Do It Again
 2.  Catch A Wave
 3.  Hawaii
 4.  Marcella
 5.  Isn't It Time
 6.  Little Deuce Coupe
 7.  409
 8.  Shut Down
 9.  I Get Around
 10.  Heroes And Villians
 11.  Sloop John B
 12.  Wouldn't It Be Nice
 13.  All This Is That
 14.  That's Why God Made The Radio
 15.  Sail On Sailor
 16.  Good Vibrations
 17.  California Girls
 18.  Help Me Rhonda
 19.  Rock And Roll Music
 20.  Kokomo
 21.  Fun Fun Fun 

http://www.walmart.com/ip/22001294?adid=

It actually could be worse!

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 22, 2012, 04:23:18 PM »

It could be worse but I did think they'd have the Forever and God Only Knows tributes.

I'm very happy to see Marcella included but did Rock and Roll Music really need to be there? I would have rather had This Whole World, IJWMFTT or Please Let Me Wonder.
Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: October 22, 2012, 04:27:08 PM »

It could be worse but I did think they'd have the Forever and God Only Knows tributes.

I'm very happy to see Marcella included but did Rock and Roll Music really need to be there? I would have rather had This Whole World, IJWMFTT or Please Let Me Wonder.

Completely agree with you - that's the safest, Joe Public set list ever...

They say I got brains but they ain't doing me no good, I wish they could...
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 22, 2012, 04:28:15 PM »

Um ... with All This is That, Marcella, two new tracks, SoS and Heroes? Hardly.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 04:30:40 PM by Wirestone » Logged
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 22, 2012, 04:34:19 PM »

Um ... with All This is That, Marcella, two new tracks, SoS and Heroes? Hardly.

Exactly! Brian screaming out Marcella and doing his wierd hand movements is hardly safe. (Plus, Jeff did that head scratching walk/dance the second time I saw them - I hope they include that!). Yes, they could have gone a lot deeper, but if the constraint was 21 songs, well, they had to cut a bunch of stuff we want.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 22, 2012, 05:09:27 PM »

I'll be waiting to read reports about the auto-tune. If its the same level as the 'Doin It Again' DVD I don't think I want to bother.
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 22, 2012, 05:11:35 PM »

Not bad.  We're getting a few lesser known songs.  I mean, All This Is That on a Joe Q Public release?  Very not bad.

That said, I still eagerly await and desperately want a video document of all 61 songs.  Either by releasing the entire RAH show (preferred) or a compilation of various shows. 

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 22, 2012, 05:14:23 PM »

I'll be waiting to read reports about the auto-tune. If its the same level as the 'Doin It Again' DVD I don't think I want to bother.

Auto-tune was gone by the time they got to Phoenix on 7/7 (apparently the concert this DVD represents).  That's not to say that they haven't fixed stuff in post-production because they likely have (most live releases do) but B-Pain was long gone by the time of this show.  The show(s) on "Doin It Again" were very early on in the tour.

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 22, 2012, 06:06:16 PM »

Yeah...I guess I'm meaning 'fixed'.

Shame about only one true Al lead in Rhonda. He did a nice job on WIBN over the summer but Cottonfields would have been good on this.

One plus.....No Barbara Ann!
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 22, 2012, 08:26:10 PM »

I measure this by how many Dave solos and leads, and I count 10, including SOS, where he hits amazing fills.  DM is the reunion for me.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 23, 2012, 12:59:44 PM »

http://tunes.broadwayworld.com/article/THE-BEACH-BOYS-LIVE-IN-CONCERT-Anniversary-Tour-Now-Available-on-Blu-rayDVD-20121023

For music fans raised on the harmonies and melodies that defined a generation, The Beach Boys’ 50th Anniversary was celebrated with an album featuring all-new material and a special 75-date world tour. The Beach Boys played to sold-out crowds garnering rave reviews at every stop--from the Hollywood Bowl to its conclusion at London’s Wembley Arena with an epic 55-song set. The excitement of The Beach Boys 2012 tour lives forever on DVD and Blu-Ray: The Beach Boys: LIVE IN CONCERT – 50th ANNIVERSARY TOUR.

Due out November 20 on BLASTMUSIC, The Beach Boys: LIVE IN CONCERT – 50th ANNIVERSARY TOUR captures one of America’s most beloved and chart-topping band’s electrifying performances of 21 songs, including classics, album cuts and new songs, all of which highlight The Beach Boys’ enduring impact on pop culture. For fans of all ages, this is the concert of a lifetime.

The new DVD comes on the heels of remarkably productive year for The Beach Boys which saw the release of their first new album in sixteen years, THAT’S WHY GOD MADE THE RADIO (Capitol/Brother Records), and The Beach Boys: DOIN’ IT AGAIN which features live performances, behind-the-scenes exclusives from the 2012 recording sessions, as well as never-before-seen footage from the 1966 'Good Vibrations' recording sessions, and moving tributes to founding members Carl and Dennis Wilson.

Said Marc Bennett, Co-Director of The Beach Boys 50- Live in Concert: “To document this once-in-a-lifetime moment in music history as The Beach Boys embarked on their 50th year anniversary world tour was an experience I still have not come down from. This show is a solidification of their legacy and a tribute to creative endurance and artistic achievement that crosses all cultural and geographical boundaries. In spite of the obstacles they may have encountered over the years, they have reached this 50th year milestone as few bands have ever done, or even imagined. What they leave behind, as captured in this performance, is a body of work that is indelibly etched in music history and popular culture on a global level.”

“It was truly an honor to be allowed to capture this historic performance. The song selection allows fans both new and old a chance to fully appreciate the span and depth of The Beach Boys catalogue. This DVD includes performances from their hits in the early 60's to selections from their latest Top 3 Album. To be able to film all five surviving members of this historic band, together one more time…was certainly a dream come true,” said Joe Thomas, co-director of The Beach Boys 50- Live in Concert.

“The Beach Boys 50th Anniversary tour meant so much to me personally,” said The Beach Boys’ BrIan Wilson. “Performing with the guys again was an absolute thrill. I'm so glad we captured it on film so that everyone, whether you were there or not, will be able to see what an historic event it was.”

"The 50th Anniversary Tour was a historic, special event,” The Beach Boys’ Mike Love said. “This DVD captures the tour brilliantly and marks an important, iconic moment in time in our band's history. It's a moment I am deeply proud of.”

The Beach Boys: LIVE IN CONCERT – 50th ANNIVERSARY TOUR
Track listing is as follows:

Do It Again
Catch A Wave
Hawaii
Marcella
Isn’t It Time
Little Deuce Coupe
Shut Down
I Get Around
Heroes And Villains
Sloop John B
Wouldn’t It Be Nice
All This Is That
That’s Why God Made The Radio
Sail On, Sailor
Good Vibrations
California Girls
Help Me Rhonda
Rock And Roll Music
Kokomo
Fun, Fun, Fun

About The Beach Boys:
With 56 U.S. Top 100 hits, 36 Top Ten hits, 4 Number One singles and over 100 million records sold, The Beach Boys are America’s greatest band. To celebrate their remarkable 50 year career, surviving original members, BrIan Wilson, Mike Love, Al Jardine, Bruce Johnston, and David Marks, joined together for the first time in over two decades for a historic world tour that began April 23 in Tuscon, AZ and concluded September 28 in London, England.
SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 23, 2012, 01:16:34 PM »

Nice write up. Nice song line up. So nice that now I AM a little worried about Capital releasing a full show. Marcella? Really? WOW!!!

I still have high hopes for Capital releasing the entire concert. I think there is too much money that can be made with an entire show...and there's nothing wrong with that. Bring it on!
PS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: October 23, 2012, 02:57:40 PM »

and then this little tidbit about the work in progress from my high school chum who is in touch with Bennett, when I asked him to clear up the "Mystery of Two Releases":

"I'll be talking to Benett this week and ask. I know that one will be a DVD , and I believe the other will be for the movies."

Hmmm...

A limited theatrical run of the 50th Tour doc?

Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 23, 2012, 03:11:56 PM »

and I believe the other will be for the movies."
Hmmm...

Cool!--this goes along with my suspciion earlier in the thread that the documentary will be a feature.  I see the documentary being of the same caliber as Neil Young's "Trunk Show" that came out a few years ago: a mix of backstage stuff with very special/key live performances to move the story along.  Perhaps it will debut in a film festival or maybe HBO?  Anything this sophisticated will surely be heavier on a narrative rather than the live music--and considering there is a lot of story to tell regarding this tour---I'm sure they won't have any trouble filling up 2 hours.  I have high hopes this will be really well done.

As for getting the full RAH gig...I can only now see them releasing it if they were to tag the full concert on a bonus disc on the special edition DVD of this documentary feature.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 23, 2012, 04:09:26 PM »

Bitchin! Like Shine A Light or something.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 23, 2012, 07:44:15 PM »

Nice mix.  Surprised to see no Surfer Girl or In My Roo, but Hawaii is on there?? The song doesn't do much for me at all. I agree another Al vocal would be nice.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: October 23, 2012, 10:12:39 PM »

and then this little tidbit about the work in progress from my high school chum who is in touch with Bennett, when I asked him to clear up the "Mystery of Two Releases":

"I'll be talking to Benett this week and ask. I know that one will be a DVD , and I believe the other will be for the movies."

Hmmm...

Cool.  Hopefully they'll put out the entire concert as a whole but I'm not holding my breath.  This release at least has a decent track-listing.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx