gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681614 Posts in 27646 Topics by 4085 Members - Latest Member: RZLSommer June 20, 2024, 11:55:57 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Live in Concert: 50th Anniversary DVD and Blu-ray.  (Read 68854 times)
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 17, 2012, 01:08:11 PM »

Clip from the new DVD?

Nope, that clip is not the Phoenix show. That clip was from the Hollywood Bowl. Mike and Bruce look like they were both wearing the same clothes (both shows were on Saturday!), but Al was in a white suit in Phoenix. Two other dead giveaways: Nicky Wonder's in that clip, and he was gone from the tour by Phoenix, and Gary Griffin's guesting on accordion back there between Scott and Darian.

And it was also ripped from an EMI Japan promotional clip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqsJ6V7C6rw&feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5FatuHDcM0&feature=relmfu

seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 17, 2012, 02:20:31 PM »

Clip from the new DVD?

Nope, that clip is not the Phoenix show. That clip was from the Hollywood Bowl. Mike and Bruce look like they were both wearing the same clothes (both shows were on Saturday!), but Al was in a white suit in Phoenix. Two other dead giveaways: Nicky Wonder's in that clip, and he was gone from the tour by Phoenix, and Gary Griffin's guesting on accordion back there between Scott and Darian.

And it was also ripped from an EMI Japan promotional clip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqsJ6V7C6rw&feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5FatuHDcM0&feature=relmfu

Man, I hope they fixed the sync issues in the vocals on TWGMTR if they're using that for any upcoming release. If you're gonna pull from the record, at least try to fool us a bit with great editing.

Wouldn't It Be Nice sounds pretty great. I guess they wiped out Mike's vocal at the end so he can't get any credit?   Grin
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: October 18, 2012, 01:17:41 PM »

As surmised on these pages, there is definitely another DVD in the pipeline, currently still being edited.

More to follow as details emerge, but this info came directly from Mr. Bennett.

Are you sure he wasn't referring to this release? Why would they release *two* different concerts?

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 18, 2012, 01:49:56 PM »

The second release is for the super-fans. All 61 songs from the RAH DVD, mega tour booklet plus the live CD of the best versions from the 74 concerts. Not to forget the rehearsals with unheard 'Surfs Up' cut. The behind the scenes DVD including those interviews we have all watched over the last few months, band members haggling over the finer points of the tour preperation plus the Fallon show. All in a box-set. Should be sweet!

Well thats my Christmas wish-list anyway...whats on yours? LOL 
PS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 18, 2012, 09:37:25 PM »

Awesoman wrote: Are you sure he wasn't referring to this release? Why would they release *two* different concerts?

Yes. I believe Justin's earlier speculation is correct. The DVD still being edited is more of a 50th Anniversary Tour DVD, not a single concert from that tour. Not even sure the person I'm in touch with, producer David Levy (through a mutual friend from our same high school graduating class) even produced that disc - my friend thinks he had nothing to do with this one that is listed for November (Is this one just culled from the Phoenix in-house feed and live edit, with some sweetening, one wonders?). Again, the DVD still in progress will probably (just speculation on my part) mix songs or (I dread) parts of songs from various venues (which will certainly include Red Rocks, I was told by Levy), interviews/testimonials with fans at the gigs, interviews with the group and the band members, travel footage, home movies, etc. More of a tour souvenir/portrait/celebration than a concert film. But that's all just an informed guess. Think of the Brian Wilson on Tour DVD. Backstage stuff, travel, interviews, songs, right?

« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 09:38:47 PM by PS » Logged
acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 19, 2012, 05:28:39 AM »

Why is it so hard to just give the fans what they want?  All we're asking for is a complete performance from this historical tour.  It almost seems like they're trying to screw up every DVD release.  Stop trying and listen!
J.G. Dev
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 19, 2012, 09:27:51 AM »

Oh, oh... Here's some more information, according to CD Universe, and it's not good.

With 56 US Top 100 hits, 36 Top Ten hits and 4 Number One singles, The Beach Boys left an impression on the 1960's pop culture rivaled only by the band that considered them their top competition: The Beatles. This video contains 21 classic Beach Boys hits performed live in Phoenix, Arizona on the band's 50th anniversary worldwide tour. Brian Wilson, Mike Love, Al Jardine, David Marks and Bruce Johnston gathered in 2012 for an emotional reunion in Los Angeles to record their first album of new material in 20 years, to reflect on their remarkable history and to kick off a worldwide tour.

Always knew the Beach Boys were the best, but 36 top ten hits?

the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 19, 2012, 10:31:13 AM »

Watching the RAH version of TLGIWK, and it may be the single greatest live recording I have ever heard of any song. Hyperbole, you say?  OK, here is some litotes: I would be mildly pleased if the entire British shows were to find their way to full DVD release sometime soon.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 19, 2012, 10:38:02 AM »

The second release is for the super-fans. All 61 songs from the RAH DVD, mega tour booklet plus the live CD of the best versions from the 74 concerts. Not to forget the rehearsals with unheard 'Surfs Up' cut. The behind the scenes DVD including those interviews we have all watched over the last few months, band members haggling over the finer points of the tour preperation plus the Fallon show. All in a box-set. Should be sweet!

Well thats my Christmas wish-list anyway...whats on yours? LOL 

You nailed it PrettyFunky: that's what I want too. something called, "the BB 50th: the great performances."
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 19, 2012, 01:00:00 PM »

Surely the sensible thing to do -- given that Capitol is releasing a live album -- is to release a two-disc DVD / blu ray set. One disc would have the documentary, the other would have a full (preferably RAH) concert. That would be the definitive release, and I'd have to think they're seriously considering it.

I mean, think of all of the previous BW DVDs (with the exception of On Tour). They all -- PS Live, BWPS and TLOS live -- have a full-length documentary, then a separate program of the full show.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: October 19, 2012, 04:18:00 PM »

Surely the sensible thing to do -- given that Capitol is releasing a live album -- is to release a two-disc DVD / blu ray set. One disc would have the documentary, the other would have a full (preferably RAH) concert. That would be the definitive release, and I'd have to think they're seriously considering it.

I mean, think of all of the previous BW DVDs (with the exception of On Tour). They all -- PS Live, BWPS and TLOS live -- have a full-length documentary, then a separate program of the full show.

This would make sense. I just wonder if they really intend on releasing a Blu-ray/DVD titled "Live in Concert", and still plan to follow that up with a more extensive concert release.

The main thing about the RAH that gives me a tiny bit of hope is that I can't think of any other reason they would have run through all 61 songs they had played at some point previously on the tour. I would think the only reason to do that (other than as just a cool tour ending) would be to make sure they had documented on video (and audio of course) every song played on the tour in order to at least have the ability to release it.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 19, 2012, 04:29:26 PM »

This would make sense. I just wonder if they really intend on releasing a Blu-ray/DVD titled "Live in Concert", and still plan to follow that up with a more extensive concert release.

The main thing about the RAH that gives me a tiny bit of hope is that I can't think of any other reason they would have run through all 61 songs they had played at some point previously on the tour. I would think the only reason to do that (other than as just a cool tour ending) would be to make sure they had documented on video (and audio of course) every song played on the tour in order to at least have the ability to release it.

Good point..

"The Beach Boys Live at The Alert Hall".

61 songs. Literally the perfect DVD release.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 19, 2012, 05:13:10 PM »

Well, I see that as (how you label it) a "cool tour ending."  Considering it was looking for a while like the UK was going to get completely passed over on this tour and that they were somehow getting "dissed" I see them doing the full 61 song set as a way to mark the special occasion that they're at the Royal Albert Hall and they're going to do something very special for UK fans.  They couldn't really add a whole batch of brand new songs to specifically treat the UK audience...so why not just do every song they've ever performed on the tour?  It was a good move on their part.

Of course, there's also the possibility that they might use the footage for an official release as you noted in your post but the RAH is just one of many shows they filmed.  Red Rocks was filmed...parts of the Hollywood Bowl were filmed...the Melbourne show was filmed, so was Wembley.  Do they really need 4 1/2 concerts to integrate into a documentary?  Perhaps they are to be archived and kept in their vaults to perhaps use one day as an official release down the road?  The Led Zeppelin reunion at the 02 from 2007 is finally being released next month, after 5 years.  So who knows what the BB are thinking?  TonyW mentioned that in speaking with the film crew, he found out that there were 3 different DVDs in the works (see below).  I'm perplexed what exactly they'd all be but let's just pray we eventually get them all.  If there's any show to have, it's the Royal Albert Show concert.

Man, Marc and his crew are filming the bejebus out of everything that moves on this tour, there are three DVD productions in the works ... this is going to be spectacular. Also the video feed within the venue from Marc's crew was fantastic.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 05:26:43 PM by Justin » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 19, 2012, 05:29:13 PM »

Well, we have two DVD productions out, so that means there's one to go. Or maybe more, depending on how you're counting.

The thing is, though, I think you have to allow for the fact that the band got better. They filmed the early, early shows because they needed the Front Row Center doc done. Then they filmed the late U.S. shows because the tour had gotten so much deeper (and Brian had gotten so much better) in the meantime. And I'd bet that everyone knew the British shows (once booked and announced) would be worthy of filming, given BW's special ties to the U.K.

Remember, the Smile debut was pro-shot for a DVD, as were a lot of Brian's solo shows over the years. They just haven't been released because they got better footage for the projects later.

I would guess that Joe Thomas made one deal for the PBS show, which is why that came out when it did. And I would guess that some other deals were made (perhaps to underwrite the filming and / or the tour costs) that led to the release of this current DVD. But Capitol still has dibs for the biggest, widest-rangng project. And they can afford to wait until next year to release it.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 19, 2012, 05:59:29 PM »

Let's hope they follow the same model as the BW projects and eventually release the later performance because, yes, things definitely got better as the tour progressed.   I can see them scrapping the Red Rocks and Hollywood Bowl shows for the later performances but I'd bet they'd have a pickle trying to decide between the Melbourne show and the Royal Albert Hall show for a full release.  Melbourne seemed to have been better documented with slightly more cameras than RAH and with a respectable director at the helm.  RAH was filmed for obvious reasons and the show ended up being absolutely stunning.  Melbourne was filmed better, RAH was performed better.  Tough call.

I have high hopes for what Capitol can deliver.  There's no denying that they're sitting on some special performances from the tour...they have every opportunity to provide us a full-ranging DVD that satisfiies both the casual and hardcore fan.  I shall continue to be cautiously optimistic.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 06:01:33 PM by Justin » Logged
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: October 19, 2012, 06:18:28 PM »

Awesoman wrote: Are you sure he wasn't referring to this release? Why would they release *two* different concerts?

Yes. I believe Justin's earlier speculation is correct. The DVD still being edited is more of a 50th Anniversary Tour DVD, not a single concert from that tour. Not even sure the person I'm in touch with, producer David Levy (through a mutual friend from our same high school graduating class) even produced that disc - my friend thinks he had nothing to do with this one that is listed for November (Is this one just culled from the Phoenix in-house feed and live edit, with some sweetening, one wonders?). Again, the DVD still in progress will probably (just speculation on my part) mix songs or (I dread) parts of songs from various venues (which will certainly include Red Rocks, I was told by Levy), interviews/testimonials with fans at the gigs, interviews with the group and the band members, travel footage, home movies, etc. More of a tour souvenir/portrait/celebration than a concert film. But that's all just an informed guess. Think of the Brian Wilson on Tour DVD. Backstage stuff, travel, interviews, songs, right?

Hmmmm...well it still doesn't explain what this other release is that's coming out next month.  It seems strange that they would put out more than one live release of a concert.  I'm not complaining if they do, but unless/until there is an official announcement of a true live CD/DVD of the whole concert, I'll have to assume this is just wishful thinking for the moment.  Hopefully if something is in the works, we'll get new of it soon. 

Hell, it only took Led Zeppelin five years to put out their reunion concert!

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 19, 2012, 06:23:34 PM »

Hmmmm...well it still doesn't explain what this other release is that's coming out next month.  It seems strange that they would put out more than one live release of a concert.  I'm not complaining if they do, but unless/until there is an official announcement of a true live CD/DVD of the whole concert, I'll have to assume this is just wishful thinking for the moment.  Hopefully if something is in the works, we'll get new of it soon. 

Hell, it only took Led Zeppelin five years to put out their reunion concert!

It's not wishful thinking, actually. The LA Times, I believe, said that Capitol Records was planning a BB50 live release in the new year. One of the sources you quote in your post confirms that folks are working on a new project. No one said it made sense, but there is something else -- we don't know the final form -- coming out in 2013.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 19, 2012, 06:36:52 PM »

Paul McCartney got "Good Evening New York City" out within months of the concert, an album and a video release.  What I'm saying is, with the right people, it could be done (even though I thought that particular release could have been handled better, too many handheld camera/audience shots, but the short amount of time it took to put it together was very satisfying).

Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 19, 2012, 07:22:25 PM »

Yes but "Good Evening New York City" was basically you're run of the mill Paul DVD.  I don't recall any special features containing a feature length documentary.

The Beach Boys' 50th Anniversary is a big occasion.  If they were planning to release a full concert...they would no doubt attach the feature documentary along with it.  The concert may take less time to prep for distribution (depending on how much overdubs they choose to do) but assembling the documentary will take more time.  If this is, in fact, the package Capitol is working on then it's no surprise that they're holding off until next year until the entire package is ready to go.   
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 19, 2012, 07:31:19 PM »

Hmmmm...well it still doesn't explain what this other release is that's coming out next month.  It seems strange that they would put out more than one live release of a concert. 

Well according to Jeff and Mike at the actual Phoenix show, they understood the filming for that particular evening to be specifically for "PBS."  The DVD looks to be coming out next month but no word on the airing of this concert on DVD...yet.   There is still a chance they could still air this concert on PBS.  The 21 song tracklisting appears to me as what they would show on a TV special; just the hits.  We were also promised a primetime special on NBC.  Not sure if that's still on the table.  Maybe that NBC project turned into the PBS one?  I can totally see them airing this on Thanksgiving night or something.  I guess we'll see...
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 19, 2012, 07:33:41 PM »

I'm not quite sure I understand the marketing tactic - wouldn't sales of this first DVD significantly hurt the one that's coming out next year?

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 19, 2012, 07:42:04 PM »

I'm not quite sure I understand the marketing tactic - wouldn't sales of this first DVD significantly hurt the one that's coming out next year?

I guess they figure each release is being marketed to a different demographic.  The first one with 21 songs is for the "casual" fan who just wants the hits, the other is for the "hardcore" fan.   Of course, I've always found such a tactic to be stupid but it's a kind of marketing that the Beach Boys have used for a long time.  Like now when they feel they need to release a 1-disc greatest hits and a two-disc edition at the same time or when Capitol decided to balance the Smile Sessions with "10 Great Songs."  Roll Eyes

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 19, 2012, 08:50:11 PM »

How much publicity has this DVD gotten? No one has even noticed it, except for the folks here.

A full-scale, properly marketed major-label release would be way different. Especially if it comes out in the spring or early summer.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 20, 2012, 01:52:42 AM »

You tell em brother! Grin

From the amazon link.....

1.0 out of 5 stars THIS RELEASE IS A RIP OFF! October 19, 2012
By Brian L. Tuck

Format:DVD|Amazon Verified PurchaseThe Beach Boys are awesome, their 50th Anniversary tour was amazing, but this release is a rip off! The Beach Boys performed around 50 songs at each of the concerts including many amazing rarities with beautiful harmonies. Unfortunately, this release is lacking all of the magic. The corporate powers that be have decided to only include 21 songs on this DVD so that they can sell more copies to the casual fans. This "Live In Concert" DVD contains only about 40% of what The Beach Boys performed at each of their shows. This DVD does not contain most of the hauntingly beautiful harmonies and wonderful music that made this tour so magical. This DVD release is an insult to anyone who truely appreciates the beauty and genius of The Beach Boys. This DVD does not do the band justice, nor does it give the fans what they deserve. Don't waste your money here so that the corporate big wigs can cash in on the legacy of The Beach Boys. The fans deserve a release of an ENTIRE show.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 20, 2012, 02:10:19 AM »

You know, one of the stores I go in has freekin Andre Rieu smirking at me where ever I look. Take a look at amazon. His sickning mug is on dozens of live DVD's.

Maybe we are classed in the same demographic.......Oooohhh God no!!! Thud
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx